Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Congratulations I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Congrats Yuns!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks. Never thought I'd ever reach black belt.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was the ceremony nice?

edit: Did you get jumped in?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Ma nigga

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
No ceremony but some nice words at the end of class. Black belts don't get hit with belts so no gauntlet for me. My buddy who got his brown belt got absolutely smashed running the gauntlet though. We have at least two goon black belts now. Me and fatherdog. I think we have a few other guys who are close to it as well.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

That is so very bad rear end. You should frame that picture and wear it around your neck.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yuns posted:

No ceremony but some nice words at the end of class. Black belts don't get hit with belts so no gauntlet for me. My buddy who got his brown belt got absolutely smashed running the gauntlet though. We have at least two goon black belts now. Me and fatherdog. I think we have a few other guys who are close to it as well.

Tell your friend congratulations from the internet!

If you tap fatherdog I think that's how you replace him as a mod so be careful with what you go for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The Sphinxster posted:

If you tap fatherdog I think that's how you replace him as a mod so be careful with what you go for.

If that was true we would have some really dumb bitch from Jersey telling us "nope" these days.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Congrats Yuns and I promise I'll actually visit next time I'm in NYC

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

If that was true we would have some really dumb bitch from Jersey telling us "nope" these days.

With a knife

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Congratulations!

Yuns posted:

The very first time I got promoted I was absent the day my coach was going to promote me, so he promoted me on no gi day. Walked my gauntlet with only a rashguard after everyone ran to their bags to grab their belts. It hurt so good.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Broke my hand at a bjj openhouse tournament. Doesn't hurt as bad as it should but i'm disappointed by the fact i'm pretty sure I was gonna win that one.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Congrats Yuns!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Congrats Yuns. It's cool that all your belts are consistent, I assume you've stayed at one place the whole time? You should get them framed somehow.

What's your training schedule like, and how long've you been at it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congratulations!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Congrats Yuns. It's cool that all your belts are consistent, I assume you've stayed at one place the whole time? You should get them framed somehow.

What's your training schedule like, and how long've you been at it?
Same place for 10 years. For the first year and a half my schedule was 6 days a week: Monday through Friday nights and Saturday morning. At least once a week, I would do two classes in a row so I was getting in 7-8 classes a week for a year and a half. After that I had kids so I switched to weekday mornings. So my schedule for the past eight and a half years has been Monday through Friday mornings for 5 classes per week. I'll sometimes do extra competition prep sessions which puts me at 7 total session per week.

I have a pretty intense job plus I'm married with kids so I have to train in the morning before work but I still make it in 5 days a week. Weekends are reserved for family so I can't train on the weekends.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

Same place for 10 years. For the first year and a half my schedule was 6 days a week: Monday through Friday nights and Saturday morning. At least once a week, I would do two classes in a row so I was getting in 7-8 classes a week for a year and a half. After that I had kids so I switched to weekday mornings. So my schedule for the past eight and a half years has been Monday through Friday mornings for 5 classes per week. I'll sometimes do extra competition prep sessions which puts me at 7 total session per week.

I have a pretty intense job plus I'm married with kids so I have to train in the morning before work but I still make it in 5 days a week. Weekends are reserved for family so I can't train on the weekends.

How do you guys manage that arrangement? i feel like some spouses would get jealous.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I train in the mornings before work on weekdays. It really doesn't make a difference for my family responsibilities. That's just time I'd be sleeping in anyways. I can't train at night or on weekends so that's the concession I've made to the family.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

That's all sorts of badass. Congrats on being so consistent and motivated. Morning classes are not available to me, but even if they would make it all easier I highly doubt I'd be able to be anywhere close to that level of consistency

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I always tell people that it is easier to make it in 5 days a week than it is to make it in 2 or 3. You just make it part of every day just like work. It becomes a part of your life. It is far easier to start skipping training when you choose to train a few days a week. You end up making excuses like "I will sleep in today but will make it up later this week."

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

I always tell people that it is easier to make it in 5 days a week than it is to make it in 2 or 3. You just make it part of every day just like work. It becomes a part of your life. It is far easier to start skipping training when you choose to train a few days a week. You end up making excuses like "I will sleep in today but will make it up later this week."

I'm very good at being consistent since going to judo (or BJJ when I'm doing that) is one of the highlights of my week, but I have trouble finding the extra time. Mostly since I have other hobbies, a girlfriend and now a kid. The last two being more important to me than MAs. Going in the morning would probably be much easier for the reasons you stated though, still not sure I'd be able to hit the dojo 5 days a week. It really is an accomplishment doing that for 10 years even if it feels normal to you.

You certainly deserved that black belt. Without even taking into account the fact that you progress faster when classes are closer together, in those 10 years you did the same amount of training that I will do in 25 years. That's kind of awesome.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

This is true but how do you standup, physically? I used to train a ton more but between getting over 25 and having a more intense job, I get so sore and foggy trying to make it 4+ a week I have to back off. I'm also a lump on weekends and my gf hates it. Maybe I should eat more, but then it's hard cramming enough meals into the day.

Do you have any recovery secrets?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Funny the discussion has sort of turned to motivation. I was just watching this Firas video about training ever day & creating momentum. Very interesting.

https://youtu.be/Q8K7ifs2Db4

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Looks like i'm going to be doing drills that wont require hands for the coming weeks. Any suggestions of what I could work on besides shrimping for hours on end?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Looks like i'm going to be doing drills that wont require hands for the coming weeks. Any suggestions of what I could work on besides shrimping for hours on end?

No-hands open guard defense is actually a really good drill even when you're not all busted up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Xguard86 posted:

This is true but how do you standup, physically? I used to train a ton more but between getting over 25 and having a more intense job, I get so sore and foggy trying to make it 4+ a week I have to back off. I'm also a lump on weekends and my gf hates it. Maybe I should eat more, but then it's hard cramming enough meals into the day.

Do you have any recovery secrets?
No secrets. I've always had insane recovery ability. I'm now in my 40s. Back before I had kids, I would lift weights for an hour and then run for an hour in the morning and then train BJJ at night 5-6 days a week. I have no explanation as to why I could keep up that volume of training. I suspect it's genetic. After marriage and kids, I no longer lift or run though I would like to get back into lifting. My only concession to recovery is that I take a lot of Advil.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 12, 2015

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Would you say you have a good diet and good sleep habits? This question can be extended to any upper level belts - sleep's a killer for me and I think it'll affect me in the long run.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Good diet but terrible sleep. I tend to sleep about 4 hours a day during the week and about 8-9 during the weekends. Do not follow my example. If I could change anything about my life I would get more sleep.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 12, 2015

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Works out constantly on little sleep while maintaining insane recovery into 40s, all while possessing drive to work out five days a week around other obligations? You may have missed your calling as a pro athlete.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think I speak for all of us when I give you a hearty "go gently caress yourself you ubermench rear end in a top hat" haha.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just realized that there are two factors which might explain how I can fit in training into my schedule that I hadn't mentioned. I don't watch TV and almost never watch movies and I almost never play video games these days. (The only video games I used to play is Gran Turismo but that's it).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Do you do mostly nogi and is there a guard game you gravitate towards?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

2 days a week gi and 3 days a week no gi. I use a lot of half guard and deep half because of my short legs. From there, I like to sweep or transition into the x guard to ashi garami and single leg series.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

2 days a week gi and 3 days a week no gi. I use a lot of half guard and deep half because of my short legs. From there, I like to sweep or transition into the x guard to ashi garami and single leg series.

That's actually kind of funny because it's very close to what my game has been, despite the fact that I'm 6'4" with long legs. I've been moving more towards seated guard lately though because my rib issues mean I'm less sanguine about letting people put weight on me.

Speaking of which, tonight was the first time I've been able to train since the end of July, and I promptly managed to get myself choked unconscious during drilling. Ribs/sternum holding up so far, though!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Sweet, congrats Yuns! I've appreciated all the insight you've posted over the years. When you mention extra competition prep sessions is it for you to compete or prepping team mates?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

fatherdog posted:

That's actually kind of funny because it's very close to what my game has been, despite the fact that I'm 6'4" with long legs. I've been moving more towards seated guard lately though because my rib issues mean I'm less sanguine about letting people put weight on me.

Speaking of which, tonight was the first time I've been able to train since the end of July, and I promptly managed to get myself choked unconscious during drilling. Ribs/sternum holding up so far, though!
Good to hear that you are back to training. I actually use a lot of seated butterfly as well. But I started using half back when I was a white belt because I couldn't keep a closed full guard against really big guys.

Bangkero posted:

Sweet, congrats Yuns! I've appreciated all the insight you've posted over the years. When you mention extra competition prep sessions is it for you to compete or prepping team mates?
Thanks. I am mostly helping teammates prep by rolling with them. I hope to compete at Pans next year but now I will have to compete at black. I've always competed in adult but may wuss out and do my age group instead.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm looking to get into BJJ and I was wondering what cardio I can do in the time leading up to taking class. Is there anything I can do not get blown up/vomit all over the place or am I resigned to be that white belt for a while?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'm looking to get into BJJ and I was wondering what cardio I can do in the time leading up to taking class. Is there anything I can do not get blown up/vomit all over the place or am I resigned to be that white belt for a while?

there is literally nothing except grappling that can prepare you for grappling in terms of cardio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Is there anything I can do not get blown up/vomit all over the place

Nope.