Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.A. Dickey posted:

So it seems Collins couldn't have challenged Utley never touching the base (after breaking Tejada's leg). Apparently the rules allow for the replay official to place runners where they would have been if the call they're reviewing had been made correctly
So in other words the replay official could have declared Utley out of the baseline? Or no? The wording kind of confuses me a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.A. Dickey posted:

So it seems Collins couldn't have challenged Utley never touching the base (after breaking Tejada's leg). Apparently the rules allow for the replay official to place runners where they would have been if the call they're reviewing had been made correctly

gently caress baseball.

I'm so sick of players getting their bodies completely hosed up because baseball has all of this "history and tradition" of maiming each other.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

He wasn't three feet out of the baseline.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

we were never going to come back from this, it was over the second there were no outs recorded on that play

or should i say the second the rules of baseball were suspended and the dodgers didn't have to touch bases any longer

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Vernacular posted:

The entire organization gets thrown under the bus due to a combination of umps, rules and a guy who has been on the team for less than 2 months? Got it

lol

Yes cos I was so rooting for the Dodgers before that

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I mean who knows what could happen. Tejada career could be over if it doesn't heal right or whatever.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Waffles Inc. posted:

watch cal and the rest of the crew use the passive voice about tejada

"his fibula was broken" instead of "chase utley intentionally went in on him and as a consequence, tejada's leg is broken"

This is a good post and it shouldn't be the last post on the page.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

OctoberBlues posted:

gently caress baseball.

I'm so sick of players getting their bodies completely hosed up because baseball has all of this "history and tradition" of maiming each other.

There are other sports you can watch. American Football and Ice Hockey are both just getting their seasons started.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bort posted:

Well maybe I worded it wrong. He slid so far over the base to take out a middle infielder that he didn't even accidentally touch it with his rear end or something. You're not allowed to do that.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

bort posted:

who the gently caress cares. he was out of the baseline enough to seriously injure a player. gently caress chase utley

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

bort posted:

I'm pretty sure he was when he ran off the field without touching the bag.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

grandy is on, cap will hit into a DP

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

So in other words the replay official could have declared Utley out of the baseline? Or no? The wording kind of confuses me a bit.

No, that would be a result of a separate action by Collins to challenge Utley being out of the basepath.

It'd be really stupid because he was in 3 ft of the basepath, so I can see why Collins didn't do that.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Well maybe I worded it wrong. He slid so far over the base to take out a middle infielder that he didn't even accidentally touch it with his rear end or something. You're not allowed to do that.

You're right, the rules say he's out, but "good roughneck play" is still a thing. This might change it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

funroll loops posted:

I'm pretty sure he was when he ran off the field without touching the bag.

The replay logic goes like this: Utley was aware he was out on the field, so he had no obligation to return to the base and left the field of play as normal. After the replay showed that Tejada did not complete the force, the umpire has placed Utley at second as he would have made an effort to return to the base under that circumstance.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

The replay logic goes like this: Utley was aware he was out on the field, so he had no obligation to return to the base and left the field of play as normal. After the replay showed that Tejada did not complete the force, the umpire has placed Utley at second as he would have made an effort to return to the base under that circumstance.

And Tejada had a broken leg so he wouldn't have beaten him to the bag :v:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Nards Pan posted:

There are other sports you can watch. American Football and Ice Hockey are both just getting their seasons started.

Baseball has always been my favorite sport, it just annoys me that they haven't addressed this issue.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
Whole lot of pussies in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

The Nards Pan posted:

OctoberBlues posted:

"history and tradition" of maiming each other.

that history is there too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bort posted:

And Tejada had a broken leg so he wouldn't have beaten him to the bag :v:
Let's go back to 1860's rules where you could get a guy out by throwing the ball at him while he's running between bases.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hub Dirt posted:

Whole lot of pussies in this thread.

We're just mad.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Listen the Mets were just looking for a split on the road and that's what they are coming away with. Just hope they can shake off the lovely way this loss came about.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Maybe going forward players can be out if they murder the dude carrying the ball?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

You know, before this game I had no dog in this fight, but after that bullshit, gently caress the Dodgers

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Crazy Ted posted:

Let's go back to 1860's rules where you could get a guy out by throwing the ball at him while he's running between bases.

maybe for the all-star game

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Ugh, what a game.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Well played, Dodgers minus Utley. gently caress Utley. gently caress the umps.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ugh, what a shitshow

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

the impotence and inability to do anything with sports anger is honestly my least favourite thing about loving sports at all

i've genuinely never been more upset about a single sports event than this evening

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least Tejada will get to hear the rest of the game called by Vin Scully at the hospital :unsmith:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
:toot:

tomapot posted:

Listen the Mets were just looking for a split on the road and that's what they are coming away with. Just hope they can shake off the lovely way this loss came about.

Yeah, the series is tied 1-1, and the Dodgers have basically strung together a single inning of offense so far.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Well, I did want Flores to get a shot in the postseason. I guess I get my wish.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

CubsWoo posted:

Seems like pretty ridiculous logic since Utley would have been out anyway if he had slid early enough to touch the bag.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

tomapot posted:

We probably could if Chase hadn't murdered one our players with a scummy slide with intent to injure. He better hope his head banged Ruben's knee as hard as it looked, because if not, he's taking a fastball to his face on Monday.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

ayn rand hand job posted:

I would hope Utley gets suspended, but I don't see that happening.

It wouldn't matter since he's not a regular player.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poonerman posted:

that history is there too

:thejoke:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Oh, and gently caress the Phillies. Utley and Rollins will always be Phillies.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

TV Zombie posted:

It wouldn't matter since he's not a regular player.

The league also, with like ten minutes of video review, said what he did was cool and good.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Totally shocked by Adrian Gonzales's answer to that take out slide. Really thought the star player of the winning team was going to slam his teammate for the pivotal play of the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

bort posted:

Oh, and gently caress the Phillies. Utley and Rollins will always be Phillies.

Ha ha, oh Chase! And gently caress the Mets.

• Locked thread