Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SNY Twitter account rightfully quoting the rulebook to show the absolutely buttfucking dumb application of the rules by the umps tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Rand alPaul posted:

At least Tejada will get to hear the rest of the game called by Vin Scully at the hospital :unsmith:

Scully is not doing the Playoffs.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-vin-scully-plaschke-20151009-column.html

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Did Sheffield just blame Dan Murphy for his throw?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

maybe they'll have adjacent hospital beds

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

SNY Twitter account rightfully quoting the rulebook to show the absolutely buttfucking dumb application of the rules by the umps tonight
It was patently ridiculous.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Waffles Inc. posted:

:captainpop:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That's not even a hard slide. That's literally karate chopping the SS.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TBS postgame show is demanding the name of the replay official

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

TBS postgame show is demanding the name of the replay official

This is the worst post game show I have ever seen.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

This is the worst post game show I have ever seen.

literally dusty baker

pedro owns though

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
anyway Utley gets an AB in NY? it'd be like the john rocker situation with the potential drama of a bean ball.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

davecrazy posted:

I mean who knows what could happen. Tejada career could be over if it doesn't heal right or whatever.

This is hysterical. The fibula(s) only holds 17% of your weight and you can walk around with one fractured.

His career could be over if he gets an infection and it goes untreated or part of his broken fibula stabs him in the heart, but it's not going to affect him next season. It sucks, but settle down.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

porkface posted:

This is hysterical. The fibula(s) only holds 17% of your weight and you can walk around with one fractured.

His career could be over if he gets an infection and it goes untreated or part of his broken fibula stabs him in the heart, but it's not going to affect him next season. It sucks, but settle down.

How on earth would a fibula stab you in the heart

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Art Core...velay posted:

anyway Utley gets an AB in NY? it'd be like the john rocker situation with the potential drama of a bean ball.

Surprise starter, Jon Niese, Matt Harvey in relief.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Art Core...velay posted:

watch mattingly lead him off on purpose because no way harvey throws at the first guy

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I got to be happy while Buckner's career was ruined. Gotta take this in stride.

loving Reed, too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Like you'd have to have the shard travel through like two thirds of your body, avoiding the kneecap, pelvis, and ribs.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Promo code slide lol thanks Draft Kings (tm)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Not that I'd blame them if they did, but the Mets should probably think long and hard before retaliating. You know they're fired up about this, and the odds of one of their key players getting suspended in an ensuing brawl, as opposed to one of the Dodgers' key players, is probably more likely.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
monday is going to be a warzone of beanballs and takeout slides at first and bench clearing foul balls and the living will pity the dead

and go on to be swept by the winner of the other LDS

bort
Mar 13, 2003

We already wanted them to throw at Utley, right?

CubsWoo posted:

and go on to be swept by the winner of the other LDS
QFT. I didn't think we were gonna beat Kershaw.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

There's no way Utley plays in NY right?

I need something to calm me down after thinking about this event.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
It's gonna suck to face Harvey Monday. If Utley has an AB he better go in a bomb squad suit.

At least I'll get to see the Mets knock out this team in a real loving time zone. None of this bullshit 9:15 start time nonsense.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't imagine Utley showing his face without getting hit with a battery from a fan.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Ding dong johnson.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Funkysauce posted:

It's gonna suck to face Harvey Monday. If Utley has an AB he better go in a bomb squad suit.

Harvey's gonna call in sick or get stuck on Ellis Island somehow, don't worry

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Do the Mets get to bring another player to the squad now?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

If Harvey throws at Utley's head, that's an immediate ejection? Could he claim he lost his grip?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Funkysauce posted:

Do the Mets get to bring another player to the squad now?

Yes, Tejada gets DL'd and would be ineligible for the NLCS as a result (which he obviously won't be able to play anyway) and they'll add someone else to the roster.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TV Zombie posted:

If Harvey throws at Utley's head, that's an immediate ejection? Could he claim he lost his grip?

It's going to be an immediate ejection, intentional or not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

Video of Utley slide in a game a month ago http://t.co/A0FhNRMbp0

I feel bad for Utley's depth perception problem. He keeps running for second base and finding he missed it wide by about four feet.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

ayn rand hand job posted:

How on earth would a fibula stab you in the heart

exactly. there is no way this ruins his career as was suggested.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

davecrazy rips Harvey for taking himself out of the game to protect his inning count

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

davecrazy rips Harvey for taking himself out of the game to protect his inning count
Matt Harvey figures "Well gently caress it I'm on an inning count" and throws at everybody including the Dodgers' first and third base coaches.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

porkface posted:

exactly. there is no way this ruins his career as was suggested.

I think the original poster is a Mets fan and there are just a lot of emotions swirling right now, not the least of which is anger. Who thinks rationally when they are angry?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i knew chase was dirty ever since he and badboy shane victorino tag-teamed on yadier molina that one time and hosed him up

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

Less likely during playoff time, but any time the umpire deems a bean ball to be intentional he is at liberty to eject the pitcher who threw it and the team's manager for presumably ordering the hit. There does not have to be a previous bean ball in the game. There does not have to be an official warning issued to both benches. The intentional bean ball doesn't even have to actually hit the batter. Guys get tossed after pitches that miss all the time because its still obvious what they were trying to do. Good umpires who are paying attention to the context of the game/series and who's pissed off at who for violating baseball bushido somehow know when this poo poo is coming and nip it in the bud before it starts.

(Un)fortunately that does not apply to the 2015 MLB postseason as they seem to be trying to field all the shithead umps for the 4 LDS series' (I know Phil Cuzzi and Angel Hernandez are out there, didn't see who the Mets and Dodgers got). They might be dumbshit enough to let Harvey get away with it, and Phil Cuzzi might even call it a strike :lol: M I RITE CUBS AND CARDS FANS?

Precedent heavily favors the umpires issuing an official warning in game before proceeding to eject any pitcher deliberately plunking a batter. Umpires can and sometimes do issue the warning before the game even starts/as it starts, usually when poo poo went down in the previous game in the series (that would certainly apply to game 3 here).

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I'm a cubs fan but that was a dirty slide and anyone knows it. Utley didn't even touch the bag he simply went to take Tejada out. If Utley wants to act like a badass and contact people in a game he should try rugby that's where they do that poo poo, not baseball. They have rules at home plate about contact and apparently they need to have rules for base runners now.

I hope the Mets loving destroy the Dodgers.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Start Robles, tell him to head hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Crazy Ted posted:

Well maybe I worded it wrong. He slid so far over the base to take out a middle infielder that he didn't even accidentally touch it with his rear end or something. You're not allowed to do that.

As long as you're able to touch the base it's allowed even if you don't try to. They've never call that interference. It's stupid that the game allows such a dangerous play but that's how it is. Blame the rules or at least how they are enforced, not Utley. Maybe if everyone didn't bitch about the Posey rule ruining baseball that play would've been outlawed already.

• Locked thread