Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok I had to skim the last 3000 posts, where did that amazing face texture come from.
They skinned Gary Oldman for face mocap, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hope somebody has been compiling all the amazing stuff that's come out of this thread. In a year or two it will be great to look back through the ashes and see how it led to that point.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I hope somebody has been compiling all the amazing stuff that's come out of this thread. In a year or two it will be great to look back through the ashes and see how it led to that point.

a shameful path led her there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here is a ship game that exists--as in, you can buy it, but then you can play it RIGHT NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTBlk6Pu14

It costs less than a tenth of the jpeg they announced today.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Beer

After everything that has happened in the past few weeks then the glorious shitshow that was Citizen Con are you going to ask for a refund? You of all people deserve one. Take the money and spend it having a good time with the family.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
its too bright, my eyes hurt

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Today I learned that DSmizzle had good taste in furniture.

I wish I had good furniture. Pilot training is goddamn expensive.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

too bad we lost the puddle splashing tech somewhere along the way

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Pilot training is goddamn expensive.

I have no frame of reference. What is that .jpgs?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Here is a ship game that exists--as in, you can buy it, but then you can play it RIGHT NOW
I dream of a small yet motivated team at Tencent Weibo taking the list of published stretch goals and churning out a rushed but surprisingly competent, complete version of Start City Zen for iOS, Android and PC by summer of 2016. While it will be a F2P-P2W cash shop it will feel much less exploitative and people will actually enjoy the game as the lack of surrounding cult will push the team to develop fun mechanics rather than a feature-length I'll-show-you-dumb-Hollywood-assholes cutscene revenge fantasy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTBlk6Pu14

It costs less than a tenth of the jpeg they announced today.

Seeing a Mastertronic published game with a chiptune soundtrack has improved my morning, thank you

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I went to the new ship's page when they launched it and it was called POTATO. Is Derek Smart's mole playing tricks on me or am I losing my mind.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Mehrunes posted:

I went to the new ship's page when they launched it and it was called POTATO. Is Derek Smart's mole playing tricks on me or am I losing my mind.

The theory is that in their haste to name it anything other than "Vindicator" they hosed up their placeholders.

It's tenuous, but hilarious, and I subscribe to it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Mehrunes posted:

They screwed up changing the name from Vindicator and the default "lore ipsum" name filled In the blanks.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

xanif posted:

The theory is that in their haste to name it anything other than "Vindicator" they hosed up their placeholders.

It's stupid as hell, but considering all the other unique text in the article that wouldn't make sense to be written alongside placeholder text, i can't think of any other reason for it to be there

unless it was a dev joke they forgot to fix which is also lol

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Well, I for one agree completely with this sentiment: http://pastebin.com/2GdfSfS0

Provided you ignore the even numbered lines

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 11, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moogle posted:

Well, I for one agree completely with this sentiment: http://pastebin.com/2GdfSfS0

Oh my god...

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

xanif posted:

Why use placeholders, especially POTATO? It seems, eh, vaguely reasonable that someone changed a description that nobody would check and wouldn't come up on a search for "Vindicator" that would make it clear that there are people on the inside working against Roberts.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Moogle posted:

I would literally kill myself if I wrote this.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Barnsy posted:

I would literally kill myself if I wrote this.

You didnt read it right

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I agree that Lesnick is probably staggeringly resilient.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Mehrunes posted:

Why use placeholders, especially POTATO? It seems, eh, vaguely reasonable that someone changed a description that nobody would check and wouldn't come up on a search for "Vindicator" that would make it clear that there are people on the inside working against Roberts.

It does. And I agree.

But it's deductive at best and conjecture at worst.

Though it's totally what they did and it's absolutely hilarious. "Nuh-uh, it's $170, not $175! Take that D. Smart!"

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Moogle posted:

Post this on reddit.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

I doubt who wrote in POTATO did in maliciously. To me it makes more sense they were ordered to strip out Vindicator but had to wait for management to confirm a new name. Possibly minutes before launch so it doesn't leak.

I wish they stuck with Potato, that's a great name.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I'm posting from thirteen hours in the past.

Because holy gently caress I will never catch up to this thread god drat

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened, it's clear something fishy is going on at Cloud Imperium Games.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Star Shitizen: There is Only Posts

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Moogle posted:

:golfclap:

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I know that one of the flight suits that features prominently in some of the early trailers comes from a NASA test "biosuit" for next-generation EVA equipment.

It was particularly noticeable, because they wholesale lifted the design without realizing what it's for. Those lines that loop around the body are lines of tension. and wherever they connect, that's a place where you can attach hard components such as an exoskeleton, life support, carrying rigging, or body armor, without the fear of interfering with mobility.

Thank you for sharing this, this was a legitimately cool anecdote that I did not know. Also a pretty stick burn on the concept artists, but I'm more interested in the trivia tbh

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Sandi's act is a weird one, it's effectively them trying to stay ahead of a PR disaster that they no longer can control on both an external and internal front.

However it's It's just made things even more confusing as the focus is not on fixing the reputation of company but the Vice President of Marketing . A position taken by the CEO's wife who, by her own admittance, has no experience.

When does a VP of marketing get any direct focus in a company in such a manner? At best it's a behind the scenes managerial role and you might come out at an expo to announce products, but you're often not going to be the face of the company - let alone have a hand in deciding who gets fired or hired.

It's looking like the gameplan was to set her up to have been in a cushy VP role and launch out a career path from there. It's clearly failed and her ego has flipped out from fear that there's no future for her.
Enter angry legal letters and clumsy damage control which failed.

Unless she was under active investigation there was no need to fall on her sword - which only raises eyebrows to just how true the rumors are. It feels like she's terrified that she can't contain the damage or even root out the traitors to sue them for defamation.

Which makes the song and dance capped off by the "intervention" of Erin and Chris to cheer her up with flowers one surreal performance.

It's meant to look like some show of support for an embattled employee, but it gives off the stench that things at the top are really really inflexible, especially when you fire an entire sub-studio and others, but the company can't remove the element that has done the most damage - even when that element wants to quit.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Somebody apply an oil painting filter to a screenshot of the stream stage, label it "Goalposts in the Wind" and sell it to an art gallery.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

when that counter kept resetting as the stream started late i was lollin so hard

and when they announced the referral program ahahahhaa

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

70 years ago, The Manhattan Project successfully produced and deployed a real world Sci-fi super weapon in less time than CIG has taken to not make a space ship video game.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

Otisburg posted:

70 years ago, The Manhattan Project successfully produced and deployed a real world Sci-fi super weapon in less time than CIG has taken to not make a space ship video game.

Next year we can have the 50% development complete party

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
these are from a few pages back, but whatever I'm backfilling around posts that got lost due to octopode being a dumb:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

the best part is after the peter dinklege thing in destiny you'd think people would understand that voice acting is its own skill that not all actors have

but nope, let's dump a shitload of money on essentially bad voice acting because you're taking those celebrities out of their wheelhouse
Agreed that voice acting is a somewhat different skill than standard acting, and that there are people who are better at one than the other. Corollary: voice direction is also a skill, and one that's even more specialized than the acting part. (Example: Ken Levine is a really good VO director, even if he's not the best project manager.) It's a collaboration. I think one reason the Norths, Bakers, and Hales have become video game mainstays is that they're really consistent even in cases of lacking direction.

In the specific case of the Dinkle-bot I'm reserving my judgement until he's in another game or voice acting gig. Enough poo poo was hosed up about Destiny that I can kinda imagine him getting poor direction, or even instructed to be kinda robotic. Whooooo knows.

All I can say is that if Dinklege really did phone it in as badly as the end product seemed, he was pretty dumb because voice work would be a useful place to make money when the available roles for a little person were coming up short.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hale and Blum are currently involved in a VA union strike because video games pay like poo poo and they don't get royalties. So they wouldn't work with Croberts anyways.
The SAG voted to have a strike on the table during negotiations. They are not striking currently, so the only reason for croberts to avoid the game-centric voice talent is that he wanted to work with real hollywood stars.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Otisburg posted:

But did they have 10h of cut scenes with performance capturing performed by Hollywood actors?

Didn't think so!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Klyith posted:

when the available roles for a little person were coming up short.
:golfclap:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well I've tried and failed to create the Citizen Con supercut of Sandi saying "I" and Chris speaking in future tenses. "We will", "You'll be able to", "We're going to" etc. Its an impossible task.

Sandi, to her credit only says "I" twenty-two times in her four minute opening speech for a paid-for convention audience.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Despite the fact that this game will never come out, I must say I really dig the design of the Aegis ships. The Vanguard, Retaliator and Sabre are all pretty rad. Remember when the Star Citizen thread was full of optimism and terrible decisions? "Bomber bros."

They seriously banned Beer. loving unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

Chocobo posted:

Despite the fact that this game will never come out, I must say I really dig the design of the Aegis ships. The Vanguard, Retaliator and Sabre are all pretty rad. Remember when the Star Citizen thread was full of optimism and terrible decisions? "Bomber bros."

They seriously banned Beer. loving unreal.

I still don't get why a loving 70 year old military vessel looks like a brand new spaceship complete with corporate branding and everything

• Locked thread