Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i watched the weird gary oldman cutscene

his dialogue was trash but the whole thing had this weird sci-fi fascism to it, like starship troopers but without the satire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raged posted:

Beer

After everything that has happened in the past few weeks then the glorious shitshow that was Citizen Con are you going to ask for a refund? You of all people deserve one. Take the money and spend it having a good time with the family.

I looked into it, and my account is such a mess with gifted packages and subscriber fees that I wouldn't get anything. So instead I'm selling my poo poo. Already made $300.

Google Butt posted:

Why did Beer get banned?

Conveniently enough CIG is petty kind enough to put my ban status on every page you see when you visit their website.

quote:

You have been put on probation until 2025-10-09 02:28. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself.

Apparently I have been a very naughty boy. So naughty that I got permabanned as my second strike.

Tias posted:

So a friend of mine is getting into this, and I was wondering what it was, but both the OP and first 2-3 pages were so dense with incrowd bullshit that I couldn't understand anything.

Is it any good? Why should one get it?

Get out. Seriously. Star Citizen's red flags are countless. There is no game. There is only a lovely tech demo featuring poorly balanced and utterly preliminary gameplay and a giant map you can walk around while chatting. There is no evidence whatsoever that Chris Roberts is capable or willing to make a finished product. They just spent three hours rigging up a referral scheme for a game that doesn't exist and spending more time talking about the movie of Squadron 42 than anything else. The total FPS portion of the entire presentation lasted forty seconds and featured not a single person visibly being hit or killed. Everything about CitCon, from Sandi's insane speech in the beginning to the "Tier 0" cast being wasted on lovely cut scenes to the slobbered cake at the end, screams of an outright scam where the creators have no intention whatsoever on delivering anything close to what was promised and have no respect whatsoever for the people who continue to send them hundreds of thousands of dollars every week. If you send one dollar to Cloud Imperium Games at this point all you are doing is prolonging the period of time in which they can con well meaning and trusting backers into sending them more money.

RattiRatto posted:

Did they say any hypothetical release date for the stuff other than squadron 42?
Or is it the usual two weeks?

No. In fact Chris flat out refused to give a release date and they cheered him for it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

November sale options, individual Idris P, Javelin, 890 Jump, Phoenix, a new alien ship, F8 lightning.

Still might not beat the above.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Capntastic posted:

Since then, any thread about "how come there's no women, or black people, in Star Citizen?" or anything at all from a viewpoint that is not 100% Good Old Scifi Boy, is shot the gently caress off the forums immediately.

Okay look...by this point it physically PAINS me to defend anything at all about CIG's community handling (doubly so after Beer's banning and hell, myself being probated over complete bullshit once), but I have to give them credit on this that they actually did better with the second LGBT thread (which shankerz relentlessly tried to shut down, until I tricked him into his path towards a permaban over there). Granted, it took like an entire month of screaming and back and forth and the moderators being completely lazy shits (including Ben), but when Toast finally posted in it decisively that they should have this 1 thread at least, or hell, maybe more than 1 - after that any lovely post in that 2nd LGBT thread (that went on for over a year without any serious problem after that) was quickly handled and folks probated over it.

But...to me that honestly felt like it was the single little triumph in a brown sea of horrible, to have that one thread where LGBT folks could legit post and where I had a lot of good convos with them about all sorts of crap. To me, it just seems as if :lesnick: has absolutely no control over his moderators and that, in the end, the 1 or 2 decent mods on the team simply can't outweigh the dozen or so other mods, who all tend towards the horrible or the lazy.

EDIT: To not even say of :lesnick: actually encouraging the horrible and the lazy, because he happens to be both of those when it comes to community handling of any sort.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 11, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RattiRatto posted:

Did they say any hypothetical release date for the stuff other than squadron 42?
Chris specifically said he can't give any dates and the crowd cheered.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AP posted:

November sale options, individual Idris P, Javelin, 890 Jump, Phoenix, a new alien ship, F8 lightning.

Still might not beat the above.

It was on around 100k for the day when I looked in the middle of CitCon. Cgi Gary Oldman made them a lot of money.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No. In fact Chris flat out refused to give a release date and they cheered him for it.

What in the living gently caress. How can people be so utterly loving retarded?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

RattiRatto posted:

They don't give release dates anymore as nobody believes them and they make the refund process easier.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This was the point where my jaw actually fell to the floor. He straight up said "nope, I ain't even gonna give you a rough estimate of a date", and the crowd erupted in wild hooting and cheering.

Can you imagine any other developer doing this at E3 or Gamescom or any other major tradeshow? Show a jittery, cut-together, shambling corpse of a tech-demo, and then announce that they can't even begin to guess when it'll be ready? They would be lynched on stage, both by the fans and the press!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

His response was literally this re: release dates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92VmePl6IU

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I think that guy should enter into politics. He seems like perfect to fit in. Everyone believes him!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So were they really trying to make four separate games, all using cryengine?

Squadron 42, the FPS, the multi-crew ship game, and then the actual MMO that people actually wanted?

From what I understand the FPS was being developed by a company they bought out and just fired, so now they're re-doing all of their work in the MMO which is why they had nothing to show at the con?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

It was on around 100k for the day when I looked in the middle of CitCon. Cgi Gary Oldman made them a lot of money.

The new CCU system went live too, along with a massive military sale. They blew their load on this, 8-11 million on the motion capture shoot, they'll get 2-3 million in sales maybe. I dunno what they'll have to show in November but I suspect it's all downhill from here.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

AP posted:

I dunno what they'll have to show in November but I suspect it's all downhill from here.
I'm willing to bet it wont be dynamic shadows. That seems like a bridge too far for them. I didn't see one anywhere in the whole two hour con.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, if anyone tuned out towards the end of the stream from the pure exhaustion of listening to bullshit, just watch 2:28:45 and to the end. It's sheer amazement.

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/20068257

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Erenthal posted:

This was the point where my jaw actually fell to the floor. He straight up said "nope, I ain't even gonna give you a rough estimate of a date", and the crowd erupted in wild hooting and cheering.

Can you imagine any other developer doing this at E3 or Gamescom or any other major tradeshow? Show a jittery, cut-together, shambling corpse of a tech-demo, and then announce that they can't even begin to guess when it'll be ready? They would be lynched on stage, both by the fans and the press!

A year ago I lambasted CIG for failing to meet their expectations and setting dates they couldn't reach. I explained that it was better to not provide a date at all than constantly provide ones they would just disappoint people with. Curiously it only took them a year and a half to figure that out. Unfortunately the point they didn't get was that, as crowd funded developers, they had complete control over schedule and scope. The only reason they can't meet a date they set is because their project management is failing to capture schedule due to mismanagement, scope creep, or technical difficulties outside the norm of development. I suspect all three are the case within CIG. If you repeatedly tell people when to expect something and then fail to meet that expectation, the problem isn't with the dates. It's that you suck at managing your project.

Erenthal posted:

Also, if anyone tuned out towards the end of the stream from the pure exhaustion of listening to bullshit, just watch 2:28:45 and to the end. It's sheer amazement.

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/20068257

Notice how they all sing because Sandi wishes it.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Capntastic posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread but lemme add some details:

The person trolling the LGBT thread is and was one of the largest people in SC's grey market. At the time they were handling a lot of business on the SC forums themselves (when they openly allowed it) and he had several stickied threads. He was spurring new backers by being a conduit for them to get LTI ships that they wouldn't be able to otherwise, and was a big name in the community.

I'd sent in concierge tickets and personally emailed and messaged Ben on twitter, and even though the person in question had literally made comics about how gay people were flamboyant attention seekers, they saw nothing wrong. The LGBT Clan thread was deleted and the creator was told not to re-open it. LGBT Clans were allowed in Star Citizen, they just were not allowed to be so darned public about it.

After the LGBT thread was closed, the troll made a new thread for like "Gypsy Native American Wiccans" or something and the mods did not see fit to close it because it wasn't "certain" to be a joke at the expense of the LGBT people CIG had just told to shut the gently caress up and stay out of sight.

This all happened shortly before goons on the SC forums started to point out a lot of the mod circle hypocrisy (many were locking ship trading threads and then privately messaging people to cut deals of their own), and Ben Lesnick refused to believe his handpicked superfans could do such things. He said that any attempts to undermine the infallible mods were the actions of people that were toxic to the community.

After like a week of my CS ticket floating around, Ben re-opened the LGBT thread, and issued a general warning (he wouldn't want to name any specific names and target anyone!), and told me that he can't fault Baragoon for making actual hatespeech comics, because "goons were targeting him and getting him riled up". When Baragoon posted more, the thread was locked because it was causing too many problems.

Since then, any thread about "how come there's no women, or black people, in Star Citizen?" or anything at all from a viewpoint that is not 100% Good Old Scifi Boy, is shot the gently caress off the forums immediately.

The SC forum moderates by trying to keep things as quiet as possible, and if that means letting misogynists, racists, and bigots stomp on everyone, they will empower them to do so- simply by locking threads to quell arguments. There have been no internal efforts to expand upon SC's near monoculture of Straight White Males and anyone noticing this is dismissed as trying to stir up drama. Many of my friends and people I've talked to are super uncomfortable about having backed a game with such disdain for anyone not part of their "demographic".

While literal racists bigots saying that queer people are subhuman were being coddled on the forums, goons were being banned for having parody signatures, because it was hurting people's feelings.

Best drat Space Simulator Ever.

Didn't pretty much the same thing happen when someone tried to make a women's organization? If anyone has a summary or a link of that, I've got some friends who'd like to see it.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Notice how they all sing because Sandi wishes it.

I don't think it's a secret that Sandi is a manipulative control freak

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently I have been a very naughty boy. So naughty that I got permabanned as my second strike.

Don't fret it man, the probation will be over before the game is out.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I watched the stream and can give Croberts 3/10 for his Powerpoint skills.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The "game" still doesn't have any personality or identity. the ships all look like they came from different games, oldmans speech was utterly banal and the SQ42 demo was basically babbys first scifi show, silly guy with accent included.

Also It's blatantly clear now that Roberts is making a loving movie rather than a game.

Some of tech was cool though (the face and motion capture is some of the best I've ever seen in a game).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the actual, ingame economy supposed to be? LOL there will never be an ingame okay, but I don't understand how the game is supposed to work in terms of actually buying ships. It looks like there are some cheaper ships on their store -- one for 20, one for 35, a few for 50-75 bucks -- but then everything else, including all the fighting ships, are $125+. Do they expect anyone who wants to play the game to regularly drop over a hundred bucks cash for a new ship? How much ingame currency are they going to cost, if people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for the better models? I've played some F2P games before, like League of Legends, and usually grinding up enough ingame currency to let you buy a $10 hero will take you a month of play. Is there just going to be a horrific, year-long grind whenever you want a new ship, or are people spending hundreds of dollars for ships new players will easily be able to buy for ingame money after playing the game for a few weeks?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I liked the interminable loading times in a demo running off of a machine that is probably identical to what is being used to crack TOR or run high frequency trading algorithms of big tobacco stocks.

I look forward to all those ship-rich, cash-poor nerds weeping on launch day as they cannot afford the Tyan dual CPU mobo it will take to render their entire jpeg collection.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
6000+ posts within 2 days?

Someone please, a tldr.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

AP posted:

Ignore all of that and that single image tells you everything you need to know about $90 Star Citizen game and the actress Sandi Gardiner.
Oh one of the features she's done makes SC look like a well oiled machine in comparison.
The hilariously padded trivia of Welcome to the Jungle speaks tales, such as the whole crew being eight people, a boast that none of the actors were SAG members and did their own driving. And they thought it'd be cool to brag about improvising the shooting script for the whole film - over twelve days.
4.0 stars of quality for Sandi's C.V! She also directed a making of.

Erenthal posted:

Can you imagine any other developer doing this at E3 or Gamescom or any other major tradeshow?
Oh you forget the charming boasts of Duke Nukem Forever's "It'll be done when it's done". That E3 demo in 2001 kept that poo poo-show going for most of a decade. Barely kept afloat by the game being a hot potato that was passed across publishers who were going under and sold off the IP to the next publisher. Take Two finally put their foot down.

The similarities between DNF and SC are growing, namely the use of tech gimmicks over actual gameplay.
For instance DNF annouced super tile destruction that rivaled HL2. That never materialized and was based purely on a concept demo. Meqon was soon acquired by Ageia who were acquired by NVIDIA.

DNF also fell so far behind trying to keep up with all of the promises. They used Build, Quake 2 and two versions of Unreal.
Broussard also tried to cargo cult game elements from every other popular game from that decade, if he saw something cool, it had to be in Duke, even if it made no sense or hampered the flow (like holding only two weapons.)

Mercury_Storm posted:

So were they really trying to make four separate games, all using cryengine?
From what I understand the FPS was being developed by a company they bought out and just fired, so now they're re-doing all of their work in the MMO which is why they had nothing to show at the con?
Yes. The original plan seemed to be to have separate studios work on different modules that would then get assembled together into one massive game with assets and game mechanics merging across a base core.
In two years.

But look on Wikipedia and you'll see they've brought all of these little third party addons to try and make work easier and it's clear nothing is lining up smoothly as none of them were even meant to work all at once with CryEngine.
Systems are fighting each other all the time causing all these bugs that are so deeply entwined that even if a game got released you'd have endless day to day patches trying to keep things under check.

It's pretty clear now the writing's on the wall and they've merged stuff into stuff because it's looking completely impossible to begin to approach their original goals.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 11, 2015

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

What is the actual, ingame economy supposed to be? LOL there will never be an ingame okay, but I don't understand how the game is supposed to work in terms of actually buying ships. It looks like there are some cheaper ships on their store -- one for 20, one for 35, a few for 50-75 bucks -- but then everything else, including all the fighting ships, are $125+. Do they expect anyone who wants to play the game to regularly drop over a hundred bucks cash for a new ship? How much ingame currency are they going to cost, if people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for the better models? I've played some F2P games before, like League of Legends, and usually grinding up enough ingame currency to let you buy a $10 hero will take you a month of play. Is there just going to be a horrific, year-long grind whenever you want a new ship, or are people spending hundreds of dollars for ships new players will easily be able to buy for ingame money after playing the game for a few weeks?

These are valid questions, and ones that RSI and their cultists have not given a lick of thought.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris specifically said he can't give any dates and the crowd cheered.
"Isolation from perspectives other than those of the captor...

quote:

"Perceived Inability to Escape

As a hostage in a bank robbery, threatened by criminals with guns, it’s easy to understand the perceived inability to escape. In romantic relationships, the belief that one can’t escape is also very common. Many abusive/controlling relationships feel like till-death-do-us-part relationships — locked together by mutual financial issues/assets, mutual intimate knowledge, or legal situations."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Phenotype posted:

Bitcoin.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 11, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
When Octopode gets back he's going to make out he's been trolling the Star Citizen threads for 3 years, just go with it and try not to give him a hard time. This has all got to hurt a lot so just play along if you can.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I sort of raised the point earlier, when I mentioned that the call of "It's not DLC!" often rings out when you discuss the coming (heh) in-game economy.

Okay, so it's not DLC and you will be easily able to aquire the ship that comes with the 2500$ pledge through in-game actions. But this makes no sense. The only loving reason you would plunk down 2500 in cash is that you perceive it to grant you a coming advantage. Don't give me that poo poo about "I'm investing in the dream, the ship is just a bonus". You specifically gave them a shitload of cash to fly around in a overpowered deathship pouncing on pubbies, and I can only imagine the wounded howls of thousand of borderline retard whales if it turned out that you can easily earn their precious mega-ships ingame by just playing normally.

If, and by that I mean never, when the game is released, a real money to ship shop will be 100% guaranteed at launch, or just after.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 11, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The economy will revolve around snarky goons in lovely ships taking out un-insured $200+ ships and watching as their former owners race back to Sandi Station to buy the next-largest version so they can Super Cruise back to the scene of that travesty to show their enemies they messed with the wrong citizen.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

shadow puppet of a posted:

The economy will revolve around snarky goons in lovely ships taking out un-insured $200+ ships and watching as their former owners race back to Sandi Station to buy the next-largest version so they can Super Cruise back to the scene of that travesty to show their enemies they messed with the wrong citizen.

That was the dream 3 years ago

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's incredible to see people get so excited for a product that looks so bad. They keep crying "Pre-alpha" or whatever but that just excuses the rough edges. The meat and bone of the project is garbage and people can't get enough. I've backed at least one Kickstarter I was really excited about until the scope and focus changed inexplicably and was one of the first to ask for a refund. If a game comes out and ends up good you can just drop normal game money on it when it does. These full on retards are paying FIFTEEN GRAND in addition to whatever else they've already spent after one of the most cringeworthy private events I have ever seen.

Best Space Sim Ever.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/653190990157742080

:heysexy:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

I was trying to convince myself to learn movie clip editing for this clip, turning it into a goon-style parody upon witnessing tonight's 'con' (which I was certain was going to be a disaster), but I legit cannot muster that kind of :effort: for this insanity, now that I've rewatched all this poo poo late at night...

So this video clip sums up my feelings at this exact moment about Star Citizen and CitCon 2015. If anyone wants to make an SA-parody vid out of it, by all means do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolHSTWp3w0

Please. If someone hasn't already done it (I'm twelve pages behind in catching up right now), change the part where the black man talks to:

CIG is proud to present the future of first person gameplay
Star Marine

also, add an airhorn sound just before the video ends.

And then change the title to Star Marine - Old Man Laments 90 million.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RattiRatto posted:

'We're going to see it inside... soon.'

- Chris Roberts

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do we do if this game does in fact coming out and it's actually good? I'm actually getting worried about this game coming out, wouldn't want to be wrong on the internet or anything.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How did the FPS demonstration become even more retarded than a year ago? Last year they at least had the "squad leader" doing fake tango tango Ding Chavez type poo poo, this time no one said a word and even Croberts didn't realize everyone died.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Next year they'll showcase Battle City as their new on-ground fighting module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread