Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Looking for some advice on my upcoming Disneyland trip. I've been to WDW several times and I'm pretty knowledgeable about it, but I've never been to Disneyland and am pretty clueless about the whole thing.

I have a 3-day park hopper, and I'm planning on going Sunday-Monday-Tuesday. Plan is DL Sunday, California Adventure Monday, DL with Magic Morning on Tuesday. Getting a park hopper was probably overkill, but I got it anyway. Tickets at Disney Hotels were unavailable, so I'm staying at a nearby hotel that's supposedly in walking distance. My decision to visit the parks on those specific days mostly came from the fact that Mickey's Halloween Party is at DL on Monday evening, and i do not have a ticket for it - they're sold out.

Not even sure exactly what advice I'm looking for. Places to eat, rides to make sure to get a fastpass for first thing in the AM, etc. I have a Tuesday dinner reservation at Blue Bayou - what are some other must-do restaurants? I'm equally excited about the rides that they don't have at WDW as I am about the rides that they DO have there so I can compare them.

Also, and I'm less worried about this, but what about Universal Studios Hollywood? A look at their website shows me that there isn't much there that I can't find at Universal Florida - is that accurate? I'm going there anyway, just wondering if there's any unique must-see's there.

The park hopper is nice because the parks are so close together. If you get to California Adventure first thing in the morning you can pretty much do all of the rides by early afternoon. Radiator Springs' single rider line moves pretty quickly for when it runs out of fastpasses. I think Tower of Terror is the highest fastpass priority after RSR.

For Disneyland I'd say Star Tours and Splash Mountain are the fastpass priorities, the lines seem to build really quickly. Splash Mountain has a single rider line but I don't know how quickly it moves. Indiana Jones' single rider is pretty reasonable. Matterhorn doesn't have fastpass and the single rider line is slow. Also it was really jerky and uncomfortable for me, so I'd probably skip it on my next visit.

If you're interested in seeing Fantasmic or World of Color, the fastpasses are disconnected from the rest of the system so you can keep collecting them for the rides after you get your show fastpass.

If you get to the parks by opening you should have no problem doing anything you want to do. It was my experience on my most recent trip that the park doesn't empty out until the last hour or so of operation- and the posted wait times are usually inflated during that time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

demonR6 posted:

Got all three.

I want that Hocus Pocus one implanted in my skin so I can have it always.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Working today so I can have an extra day off for Disney. I should probably start packing. Besides my camelbak- anything interesting I should take along...poncho and sunscreen are a definite I know.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If there's any way to avoid it, don't take any bags to the parks with you. The bag check lines in the morning can get ridiculously long.

The day after waiting 45 minutes in the bag check line at Animal Kingdom (on a day that wasn't particularly crowded), my wife ditched her purse in favor of cargo shorts. Saved us at least a couple of hours of park time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Whaaaaat? I've never waited more than two minutes at bag check, even when the lines are long.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
They're not bad during the day, but we saw it several times in the mornings right around when the parks opened. Super long lines at the bag check area, and very short lines at the actual ticket scanners.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My wife loves that movie and that was her mission to see the show when she went to NSS on Monday. Aside from recording the show she called me and made me listen to it while she was at the park. I was at home playing video games at the time but I indulged her. She also called me at 11P and made me go stand outside the house and watch the fireworks while I listened to the music. Yeah that was fun. Anyhow, we went to MK guest services and being very nice said she was at the park just this Monday and Friday they release a special LR MB available only at NSS.. which she obviously had no chance to get. The CM gets a manager, she asks do you have any pictures or the receipt to prove you were here and wifey says "If you have an hour of two I have hundreds of pictures, video of the entire parade, the castle show and the fireworks.. where do you want to start?" She made a couple of calls, walks us to the Emporium and was able to get with another manager there who came out after a short while in the back somewhere with said MB. That was actually above and beyond level stuff right there.

I am still freaking pissed that my AP is going to go up $340 a year for us both so that did not make a dent in my current level of FU Disney really? but I have something planned for that tomorrow when we go to F&W. I took a vacation day for this next stunt.

Bag check can get long at times, I normally don't bring anything and my wife is now in the habit of bringing a small carrying case for her phone where she stashes her ID and other cards. The rest can go in pockets. I will stuff the carrying case since it is considered 'purse like' in my cargo pants where I also have one of those cheap bags that serve like a backpack with the nylon cord hiding. Soon as we are in the park we empty our pockets into that and off we go.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pro tip, get a packable travel day bag that folds down, put it in your pockets and carry your camera/phone/poncho/water bottle. Walk in the park, unfold the bag, and go. They're book bag style and you can them at Walmart and Target for $5-$10.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We use one of these.. they give them away at work or even when you go to some of these outdoor events etc. like candy. They can stash in your pocket and they are waterproof plus if you were to buy these for example at under two bucks you won't feel bad if anything happens to them. They last forever too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-Drawstring-Cinch-Sack-Sport-Beach-Travel-Outdoor-Backpack-Bags-/221578667738?var=&hash=item33971e26da

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I have one of those for the gym and it didn't occur to me to bring it to the parks, but now I totally will.
Less than 2 monttthhhsssssss so excited

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

CK07 posted:

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm getting excited for my next visit in November.

No apology needed! Thanks for all the info, you had me at "all you can eat BBQ."

As it stands, I'm having a late lunch at Big Thunder BBQ on Sunday, and dinner at Blue Bayou on Tuesday. I tried to get dinner at Carthay Circle on Monday, but the only reservation available is for 710pm. If I take that reservation, I'll miss out on the "the park is about to close" short lines, so i'm going to wait and see if something earlier opens.

quote:

If you're interested in seeing Fantasmic or World of Color, the fastpasses are disconnected from the rest of the system so you can keep collecting them for the rides after you get your show fastpass.

I'm actually interested in seeing both of these. If the fastpasses are disconnected from the rest of the system, shouldn't I then just go pick up fastpasses for these as soon as the park opens? Or do they not release them that early? And if for whatever reason I can't/don't get fastpasses for these, are the shows still worth seeing? I'm doing DCA on Monday, which is when the Halloween Party is at DL, so I'm hoping that will bleed a lot of the crowd to DL and leave DCA (and World of Color) relatively empty.

Also, my wife won't be riding any of the scarier rides, so if those rides have single rider lines, I'd rather just take advantage of the single rider lines and save the fastpasses for other rides. I gotta check out a list of what rides are fastpass vs which are single rider vs which are none.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

OldSenileGuy posted:

No apology needed! Thanks for all the info, you had me at "all you can eat BBQ."

As it stands, I'm having a late lunch at Big Thunder BBQ on Sunday, and dinner at Blue Bayou on Tuesday. I tried to get dinner at Carthay Circle on Monday, but the only reservation available is for 710pm. If I take that reservation, I'll miss out on the "the park is about to close" short lines, so i'm going to wait and see if something earlier opens.

I'm actually interested in seeing both of these. If the fastpasses are disconnected from the rest of the system, shouldn't I then just go pick up fastpasses for these as soon as the park opens? Or do they not release them that early? And if for whatever reason I can't/don't get fastpasses for these, are the shows still worth seeing? I'm doing DCA on Monday, which is when the Halloween Party is at DL, so I'm hoping that will bleed a lot of the crowd to DL and leave DCA (and World of Color) relatively empty.

Also, my wife won't be riding any of the scarier rides, so if those rides have single rider lines, I'd rather just take advantage of the single rider lines and save the fastpasses for other rides. I gotta check out a list of what rides are fastpass vs which are single rider vs which are none.

I think you can find seating at the Carthay Circle lounge pretty easily. I don't think it has the full menu but most of the drinks? Not sure.

If there's only one showing of Fantasmic/World of Color, then you should grab fastpasses early as possible. If there are two and you want to catch the later one, check with the attendants at the kiosk to get an idea of when they think they'll start distributing for the second show. They also have dining packages that include reserved seating, not sure about availability.

Touringplans.com has a pretty good list of attractions that show fastpass/single rider/ride duration.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

OldSenileGuy posted:

No reason not to get early fastpasses. For World of Color, some think the second set of passes available (yellow) is better than the first (blue); the yellow section is closer, but the blue is more centered. Fantasmic gives yellow, green, blue; yellow is centered-ish and right, green is on top of the bridge over Pirates, and blue's on the left. I don't know that I've heard a preference for any section in particular. Only thing to keep in mind as Edna Mode mentions is if you want to see the later show, either get passes later or ask someone by the pass machine to help you out.

From what I've heard the party nights end up directing a lot of traffic into DCA, since there are a bunch of people with APs or hoppers who didn't want to pay an extra $70+ for the party, or weren't able to get tickets to the party.

As far as single rider lines, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, and Indiana Jones definitely save time vs standby; of those only Matterhorn doesn't have Fastpass at all. DCA has California Screamin, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly River Run, Radiator Springs Racers, and Soarin'; I hear that the Soarin' single-rider line isn't worth it as it's often just as long as standby. The rest can go much faster, particularly Grizzly River Run. All of those have Fastpasses available.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Edna Mode posted:

I think you can find seating at the Carthay Circle lounge pretty easily. I don't think it has the full menu but most of the drinks? Not sure.

This is correct. The bar menu is quite different but still extreeeeemely delicious, easy to make a small meal out of but that does make it more expensive. The dining room upstairs is a whole different beast, top-quality service and food, but I think the lounge is definitely worth checking out.

parasyte posted:

No reason not to get early fastpasses. For World of Color, some think the second set of passes available (yellow) is better than the first (blue); the yellow section is closer, but the blue is more centered. Fantasmic gives yellow, green, blue; yellow is centered-ish and right, green is on top of the bridge over Pirates, and blue's on the left.

Yes, I forgot the fastpasses for the shows were independent, sorry about that. I was in Green for Fantasmic last time I went, it was a super good spot and if you get there early you can find space to lean on the railing. The dining/fastpass option is really not worth it imo, the seats are good but the food is kind of poo poo. It's good to get fastpasses because all the decent viewing spots are either set aside for fastpass-havers or are serving as walkways, you can't just stop wherever and watch. Being centered actually matters somewhat for Fantasmic, at least being centered on one of the "screens".

I want to re-emphasize that moving from park to park is a complete non-issue. It's a ten-minute walk, max, to anywhere from anywhere, assuming you don't have physical mobility issues. Even if you're really committed to doing only Disneyland on Tuesday, if there's a Tuesday lunch res at Carthay, take it. You will not be wasting time waiting for buses or boats, it's really worth it.

One last thing: Star Tours is cool, but I have like medium-severity motion sickness (fine on all roller coasters) and I spent the entire time on that ride unfocusing my eyes and trying not to throw up. So if that's a thing for you, just be aware.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whoever gave me the idea to talk to guest services about the AP issue it worked. Went to GS at Epcot and after voicing my displeasure they gave me the platinum fire the same price as our old pass so score! They essentially fudged the system making it look like we paid the difference from the old pass to the new pass in cash to make our monthly payment stay the same.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

demonR6 posted:

Got all three.

Two related questions. Is there somewhere that isn't in Orlando that can I buy this (if I go to my local Disney store, will they have it?), and how long do they stay live?

I've got tentative plans to go in a year but holy poo poo I want that so much more than any of the generic color or character ones.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boxman posted:

Two related questions. Is there somewhere that isn't in Orlando that can I buy this (if I go to my local Disney store, will they have it?), and how long do they stay live?

I've got tentative plans to go in a year but holy poo poo I want that so much more than any of the generic color or character ones.

I think those MagicBands are Halloween Party exclusive.

Also I don't think the Disney Store sells MBs at all.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Hocus Pocus is exclusive to MK only during the Not So Scary. The Haunted Mansion is limited release only at parks and some locations at Disney Springs I hear. And also when they are gone, they are gone. Disney Store sells plain colored bands though and you can buy online too possibly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey goons, question, my fastpasses open up to reserve on the 18th, but i'm not sure if I can set time to book them that day until the night time; will I be boned?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Abu Dave posted:

Hey goons, question, my fastpasses open up to reserve on the 18th, but i'm not sure if I can set time to book them that day until the night time; will I be boned?

They'll open up at 12:00:01am eastern time on the 18th. If you're west coast, you can book them at 9p on the 17th, etc. Worth staying up late for.

But, I spent the week after I made mine messing with the times and didn't have a problem for most of the days later on in my trip, so doing it later on the 18th won't ruin your plans.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well EC was packed as hell today.. on a Monday.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The only way you're like super boned on FP is if you're trying to get Anna & Elsa and Mine Train. You can usually get anything else you want but they might just not be your preferred times.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hey Disney Goons,

I have business in Florida on Wed. Dec. 9. My girlfriend absolutely loving loves Disney World, and I am thinking of inviting her along and surprising her with two days there on Mon-Tue the 7th and 8th.

We went once for about five days in approx. March 2013, stayed at Pop Century, visited all parks, and ate at Biergarten, Le Cellier, that 50s place, and some African buffet in Animal Kingdom, on the dining plan. I don't really want to do the dining plan again because there was pressure to "get our value" which meant we felt gross by the end of the day.

She knows basically everything about Disney but I don't, so I have a couple questions. I have the knowledge of casually reading the top recommendations on easy WDW over the last couple days.

-How much better are the moderate resorts than the value? I am kind of thinking of one of the Port Orleans resorts, but I'm not wedded to the idea.

-Is it worth it to do park hopper tickets with two days, or should we do single park admissions? We don't really need to do "everything" since we were there recently. She has mentioned wanting to see the holiday light thing at Hollywood studios, she really likes animal kingdom, and the lights/fireworks thing at the castle was fun and magic kingdom kind of seems obligatory.

-Given where we've eaten are there any places that we really ought to go for a full service meal? Le Cellier owned, and I wouldn't mind going back to Biergarten, but something new would be nice.

-Are there any discounts I should be looking for? She planned our last trip and said something about usually being able to get either discounted hotel or free dining, but easyWDW says my dates are outside "value" season.

-Is it too late to get fast passes to popular things this close to going?

Thanks!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Hey Disney Goons,

I have business in Florida on Wed. Dec. 9. My girlfriend absolutely loving loves Disney World, and I am thinking of inviting her along and surprising her with two days there on Mon-Tue the 7th and 8th.

We went once for about five days in approx. March 2013, stayed at Pop Century, visited all parks, and ate at Biergarten, Le Cellier, that 50s place, and some African buffet in Animal Kingdom, on the dining plan. I don't really want to do the dining plan again because there was pressure to "get our value" which meant we felt gross by the end of the day.

She knows basically everything about Disney but I don't, so I have a couple questions. I have the knowledge of casually reading the top recommendations on easy WDW over the last couple days.

-How much better are the moderate resorts than the value? I am kind of thinking of one of the Port Orleans resorts, but I'm not wedded to the idea.

-Is it worth it to do park hopper tickets with two days, or should we do single park admissions? We don't really need to do "everything" since we were there recently. She has mentioned wanting to see the holiday light thing at Hollywood studios, she really likes animal kingdom, and the lights/fireworks thing at the castle was fun and magic kingdom kind of seems obligatory.

-Given where we've eaten are there any places that we really ought to go for a full service meal? Le Cellier owned, and I wouldn't mind going back to Biergarten, but something new would be nice.

-Are there any discounts I should be looking for? She planned our last trip and said something about usually being able to get either discounted hotel or free dining, but easyWDW says my dates are outside "value" season.

-Is it too late to get fast passes to popular things this close to going?

Thanks!

Moderate resorts are...moderately better than Value. With being there such a short time, I'd go for location and less bus hassle, which would mean Port Orleans French Quarter. Ideally, if I were only there for 2 days, I'd do a monorail resort, but if budget doesn't allow, a Value or Mod would work.

I would do park hopper for 2 days. Animal Kingdom closes at like 5 or 6 pm in Dec, so you can do a half day there and then go to Hollywood Studios for the Osborne Lights (this is the last year for these, btw). Definitely do park hopper.

There are discounts for early December. As a travel planner, I can help if you like.

You can still get FastPasses. May not be your first choice in times, but you can get something.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah if you are staying on site you could do your FP reservations before the 30 day window for off-site guests

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Well EC was packed as hell today.. on a Monday.

It was a holiday...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Columbus Day is a lesser holiday and does not count. ;)

I'll report back next Monday when we go again.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I searched the forums for a Universal or Halloween Horror Night thread and couldn't find one, so sorry for crossing the streams here.

Does anyone here drink Coke Zero or go to Burger King that could give me one of those stupid codes for Halloween Horror Nights tickets? They are on "specially marked cans or cups" I only need the one. Thanks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just watched Rick Springfield cover a Katy Perry song.

Where the gently caress am I.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I searched the forums for a Universal or Halloween Horror Night thread and couldn't find one, so sorry for crossing the streams here.

Does anyone here drink Coke Zero or go to Burger King that could give me one of those stupid codes for Halloween Horror Nights tickets? They are on "specially marked cans or cups" I only need the one. Thanks!

Totally had BK tonight.

201510013 is the code

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Flying out tomorrow! I'm so giddy. Thank you braksgirl- I'm prepared to become a 5 year old Friday morning

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Cais posted:

Totally had BK tonight.

201510013 is the code

Worked perfectly! Thank you!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

Flying out tomorrow! I'm so giddy. Thank you braksgirl- I'm prepared to become a 5 year old Friday morning

Wonderful! Keep me updated! I'm dying to hear how your mom likes that 7 hour tour.

On another note, there's a rumor going around that the MK Christmas Parade taping is happening Nov 10 -13. Guess which dates I'm going to be there. Not too thrilled about what this means for the crowd level.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Braksgirl posted:

Wonderful! Keep me updated! I'm dying to hear how your mom likes that 7 hour tour.

On another note, there's a rumor going around that the MK Christmas Parade taping is happening Nov 10 -13. Guess which dates I'm going to be there. Not too thrilled about what this means for the crowd level.

We got stuck in carsland at DL for what felt like forever one year because they were shooting their christmas special with some famous country singer a few years back. We eventually just went under the ropes and booked it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Is there any way you can cut out of the parks for a few hours on those days, like an hour prior and an hour after the parade? Most people just park hop over for the parade last I'd heard.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Well, looking back at our schedule, I think the only day we'll be at MK is that Friday 13th, the last day of shooting. We'll probably just head to the back of the park and hide out there while they do whatever it is they do.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Shooting goes on throughout the day. That is why sometimes you look at it and go drat the sun moves fast across Florida?

Or wait wasn't the sky clear blue in that last shot?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Well, looking back at our schedule, I think the only day we'll be at MK is that Friday 13th, the last day of shooting. We'll probably just head to the back of the park and hide out there while they do whatever it is they do.

I'm riding the Peoplemover for 8 hours straight.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I cried through the rope drop and walking down Main St. I'm in love.

And I cried through the Ariel ride. And I'm going to meet her next! Literally I am five years old again. This is the best day ever. And Starbucks is gorgeous! Holy drat this place is amazing.

Anya fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

I cried through the rope drop and walking down Main St. I'm in love.

And I cried through the Ariel ride. And I'm going to meet her next! Literally I am five years old again. This is the best day ever. And Starbucks is gorgeous! Holy drat this place is amazing.

I feel you, sister. MK is soaked with my tears.