Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

comedyblissoption posted:

it's going to turn out that reiner and monkey titan are the good guys

It better loving be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Oh come on. Levi loving had Reiner. Did he harden his brain stem?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lamebot posted:

Though transformed, he looks pretty k.o. there, he was still thrown in the ground without moving in the last panel we've seen him. So maybe at least he won't be totally combat effective.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Lamebot posted:

It's a credit to the series that my first thought when that happened was "drat, so close" and not "that was bullshit".

Isayama does a good job of making characters appear rational and capable while still being subservient to the plot. I can't think of any occasions when it felt like the characters were acting dumb or incompetent so that the story could continue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I still think there's going to be some legitimate reason why Reiner/Berthold/Monkey Titan are acting in the way they are, I doubt they they'll ever end up being considered "good guys" in light of the fact that we've seen the Monkey titan kill people for no real reason (and Reiner/Berthold have killed enough of the scout legion's members that they'll never be treated as anything other than enemies).

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It seems like both factions are various shades of gray.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

monkey titan killed an enemy on sentry duty and got recon information on the enemy through spawning a bunch of titans

monkey trouble did nothing wrong

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think that Isayama has been hinting at a redemption arc for Bert and Reiner for a while. They've both been painted as child soldiers who were too young to really understand the gravity of their actions and too scared shitless by their leaders to change course. The whole discussions of the shifter village and Monkey Titan's presence leads me to believe that the real final villain of the story is probably someone living in the shifter village who we won't see for a while.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

I think that Isayama has been hinting at a redemption arc for Bert and Reiner for a while. They've both been painted as child soldiers who were too young to really understand the gravity of their actions and too scared shitless by their leaders to change course. The whole discussions of the shifter village and Monkey Titan's presence leads me to believe that the real final villain of the story is probably someone living in the shifter village who we won't see for a while.

They keep saying how they can't go back until they fulfilled their mission, as in- they're not allowed. Not to mention they aspire to be "Warriors". So yeah I think whoever hands out orders back home believes in the Darth Vader school of discipline.

Yeah this manga is very much "realistic" in it's portrayal of bad people. Rod Reiss and Kenny were introduced as very bad people who did very bad things, and they were. But they had legitimate reasons behind their actions until it ground them down and made them cynical. Berthold, Reiner, and Annie will have legitimate point-of-view reasons for doing what they do.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

this is dumb, they can just fly around the walls until reiner has to transform back, its not like any of the titans are faster and they are all stuck on the ground

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Bert is still inside the wall doing who knows what. Plus Monkey Trouble can still chuck rocks at them and fight them even if he didn't have a titan force backing him up.

Hell he could even chuck Titans on top of them if we wanted to. Reiner could easily do the same.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Asuron posted:

Bert is still inside the wall doing who knows what. Plus Monkey Trouble can still chuck rocks at them and fight them even if he didn't have a titan force backing him up.

Hell he could even chuck Titans on top of them if we wanted to. Reiner could easily do the same.

but they cant really fly, so just hang around and they'll be fine

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Terror Sweat posted:

this is dumb, they can just fly around the walls until reiner has to transform back, its not like any of the titans are faster and they are all stuck on the ground

They'll run out of gas first

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So hyped for the next few chapters. We have so many bits of info about day/night titans, bloodlines, colassi making the walls, shifters vs regualr titans, hardening powers, some war beyond the walls, creating/controlling titans. This feels like the climax arc that will finally tie everything together.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

but they cant really fly, so just hang around and they'll be fine

Logikv9 posted:

They'll run out of gas first

Also that. They're on finite resources and they can't escape.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think they'll win the fight, find the basement, and find a map to Tomorrowland where they go and have a final fight with the shifter people and learn how to love again.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So three cups of coffee ... Berthold, Reiner and Monkey Trouble? Is Monkey Trouble a shifter?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So three cups of coffee ... Berthold, Reiner and Monkey Trouble? Is Monkey Trouble a shifter?

Did you miss the last 2~3 chapters?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
poo poo. This is the part where I'm sold on the cast dying off. I can't see them all surviving an Armoured Titan-Ape Escape onslaught.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yes

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

why were they so surprised about 3 cups anyway they should already know that ymir went off with the other two. where is ymir anyway

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
So we know they have new weapons based on titanite, wonder if they have any new tactics based on working with Eren and his hardening ability. Like they didn't know about Magilla, but they knew they would be fighting Bert and Reiner. I assume they have some plan for that beyond "Levi murks the fucker in 0.3 seconds maybe"

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Hot diggity! Finally some action. I hope Levi takes Monkey Trouble's trachea out.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Check the final page of chapter 70.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

why were they so surprised about 3 cups anyway they should already know that ymir went off with the other two. where is ymir anyway

She volunteered to be a prisoner or something and was expecting to die at some point. Probably to turn one of Bert and Ernie's friends/member of colony into a shifter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shneak posted:

poo poo. This is the part where I'm sold on the cast dying off. I can't see them all surviving an Armoured Titan-Ape Escape onslaught.

They're not going to kill off the whole cast (at least not anytime soon). Maybe one or two important/semi-important characters, but this series (like pretty much every other title) is pretty resistant to killing off important characters, and I believe it's been confirmed to last a good deal longer so we're not going to get some "surprise! game over!" ending.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ytlaya posted:

They're not going to kill off the whole cast (at least not anytime soon). Maybe one or two important/semi-important characters, but this series (like pretty much every other title) is pretty resistant to killing off important characters, and I believe it's been confirmed to last a good deal longer so we're not going to get some "surprise! game over!" ending.

Yeah, people keep lusting for main character death all the time, and not just in this manga but all sorts of media, like they're all an 80s era DnD campaign. Turns out the reason that doesn't happen is because it's makes for a loving awful story.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A pot cant cool off in 2 minutes, <super close up of the face>, They must of seen of 5 minutes before we got here. This loving manga I swear spends the most time on the most random rear end poo poo.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, people keep lusting for main character death all the time, and not just in this manga but all sorts of media, like they're all an 80s era DnD campaign. Turns out the reason that doesn't happen is because it's makes for a loving awful story.

See: Game of Thrones

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

flowinprose posted:

See: Game of Thrones

I agree, it's a great example of what I'm talking about.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Prison Warden posted:

I agree, it's a great example of what I'm talking about.

Well, it is and it isn't. Plenty of point of view characters have been killed off, while plenty of others have survived near death multiple times. The combination of both is what creates tension. If everybody always died, you would just get too numb to it and not even flinch when it kept happening. On the other hand if some major characters die (Ned Stark is a prominent example) while others live, it makes their escape from death all that much more dramatic and exciting.

So there is something to be said for killing off major characters, but you can't kill all of them.

Attack on Titan has had far fewer major characters die than Game of Thrones. So far none of the characters who have died in Attack on Titan have been nearly as prominent as Ned or Robb Stark. I think the biggest death so far has probably been what, Marco or Hannes? I guess you could sort of count Annie or Kenny, but they were villains so that works differently.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Oh, no, my point is that in Game of Thrones it's ALL unimportant characters who die, aside from Ned, the only characters who have died have been ancillary or secondary characters. It has a rep for a high body count, but that's mostly because a lot of the secondary cast gets thrown under the bus. Martin masks this a bit by having characters who seem important because they are in positions of power, like Robb for example, when actually they don't matter at all. He goes so far to kill people and then bring them back as zombies and such and by throwing in a bunch of useless perspectives in the last two books and then killing them. This is to basically serve the same purpose as Ned or Marco in Attack on Titan, to let the audience know that poo poo is "real".

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Prison Warden posted:

Oh, no, my point is that in Game of Thrones it's ALL unimportant characters who die, aside from Ned, the only characters who have died have been ancillary or secondary characters. It has a rep for a high body count, but that's mostly because a lot of the secondary cast gets thrown under the bus. Martin masks this a bit by having characters who seem important because they are in positions of power, like Robb for example, when actually they don't matter at all. He goes so far to kill people and then bring them back as zombies and such and by throwing in a bunch of useless perspectives in the last two books and then killing them. This is to basically serve the same purpose as Ned or Marco in Attack on Titan, to let the audience know that poo poo is "real".

I think we're both pretty much in agreement. I just think the characters who have died in GoT so far have on average been bigger players and/or more prominent characters than those who have died in AoT.

To me, an equivalent to Robb Stark or Renley Baratheon dying would be something like Hanji or Erwin dying. So far we haven't seen any of the "good guys" that prominent to the story go down.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The BBC has a small piece about AoT and an interview with Isayama. "I had a dream of no limits."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3018930

quote:

*Yawn* Here I thought it might be something exciting :smug:. But no. Sorry, but I can't care. I read manga and not American mainstream comics because American mainstream comics are like the opposite of what I like, 99 percent of the time. I wish American comics were more like manga, not the other way around.

I mean, in Japan, manga isn't a niche thing, it's widely published and sold everywhere, it has a huge variety, spanning just about every genre, it has wide appeal. American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

Maybe this is cool for those who actually like both, but I don't think there's that many of those, and I can't imagine those people who actually read American stuff and don't read Attack on Titan would care that much either.

could've swore this type of insufferable weeb disappeared in the mid 00's

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Some untranslated scans have come up.

Not too far now from an english release.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Some next chapter spoilers.

edit: Whoops. A bit late. Edit edit: Reiner is so screwed.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 5, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This is gonna be good.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Every chapter is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Erwin owns. This chapter is going to own.