Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Droyer posted:

Big O is very good.

Also Hbomberguy, i feel like i have to apologize to you. Something about your earlier posting rubbed me the wrong way and i may not have been entirely fair. I'm sorry.

That's cute, but I do deserve it. I've been writing like an idiot for ages and need to stop! I think I write elaborate stuff about things as a defense mechanism from having to work on my own stuff.

I'm getting better. I wrote out a huge post about Otaku No Video and what it's trying to say with its giant robots and compared it to Jaws and the shark (complete with screenshots) and then deleted it and watched pretty cure with my friends instead. BTW precure is ridiculously good if you're into sentai and having feelings. It's ostensibly for little girls but they seem to hire the best writers and animators in the business and it's crazy good.

Also yeah episode 14 is great. Roger Smith VS three megadeuses and mind tomatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I love the sound design most of all on that show. That electronic piston sound that plays when a Megadeus walks is amazing, or when the Chromebuster charges up.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Droyer posted:

Sorry i wasn't trying to criticize you. I just wondered if there had ever been any official word on the ending.

I think there were some hints dropped in the art book that came out after the show ended

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm about eight episodes into Shin Mazinger. So uh is this thing ever going to pick up, like at all?

Like the initial two or three episodes seemed promising enough, but it just keeps dragging on now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 11, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Raxivace posted:

I'm about eight episodes into Shin Mazinger. So uh is this thing ever going to pick up, like at all?

Like the initial two or three episodes seemed promising enough, but it just keeps dragging on now.

It does. Particularly after the Lorelei arc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The week, on Logos

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
remember when i was like 'okay aquarion logos is going to stop loving around now'

dear god was i wrong

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

remember when i was like 'okay aquarion logos is going to stop loving around now'

dear god was i wrong

I'm glad of it, and of the fact they even managed to fit character and plot stuff into a silly episode too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I agree. It was a fun episode, and all the Hayato scenes were gold. The dreams scene for being a rather brutal takedown of the usual "dreams can do anything" attitude, and the dad scene for just being heartwarming.

Also next episode will finally start the second part of the plot, considering the end of this one. And I seriously want to know how the hell Subete managed to make Aquarion with a single Vector.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm glad of it, and of the fact they even managed to fit character and plot stuff into a silly episode too.

I've only seen the first series, but the serious plot was definitely the worst part of it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Blaze Dragon posted:

I agree. It was a fun episode, and all the Hayato scenes were gold. The dreams scene for being a rather brutal takedown of the usual "dreams can do anything" attitude, and the dad scene for just being heartwarming.

Also next episode will finally start the second part of the plot, considering the end of this one. And I seriously want to know how the hell Subete managed to make Aquarion with a single Vector.

oh god yes it was WONDERFUL when this inspiring and heroic music was hitting its crescendo right when Hayato was all 'and tell your kids that they're going to be boring and ordinary and never achieve their dreams either'

and it looks to me like he probably just made his Aquarion with two of the same vector? the feet sorta seem like just an alternate configuration of the arms

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

I've only seen the first series, but the serious plot was definitely the worst part of it.

The serious parts of Evol started out fine and then became progressively worse as the finale approached.

Maybe Logos can break that trend!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When i saw, months ago, that Goodsmile was selling a four-pack of four identical robots, I was like, what's the deal, why would anybody buy that?

The 24th Battalion owns. How did it take the Federation 54 goddamn episodes t think, "hey, what if we sent good pilots to fight the Dougram?"

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I'm glad I stopped paying attention to Aquarion after the movie. which pretty much had the most Aquarion sexual plot resolution of all time: nothing beats two chicks at the same time.

Gen Fudo is still the best character of anything though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

boom boom boom posted:

When i saw, months ago, that Goodsmile was selling a four-pack of four identical robots, I was like, what's the deal, why would anybody buy that?

The 24th Battalion owns. How did it take the Federation 54 goddamn episodes t think, "hey, what if we sent good pilots to fight the Dougram?"

I didn't know which show those robots were from, so I googled the 24th Battalion and found a show called "Special Armored Battalion Dorvack." While I now realize that of course, duh, they're from the Dougram show - now I'm curious. Has anyone heard about this Dorvack show? Google isn't turning up much outside of a short wikipedia article and the requisite ANN article.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Never seen the show directly, but its OP is the most 80s Real Robot thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRtEfsEIiE

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't know which show those robots were from, so I googled the 24th Battalion and found a show called "Special Armored Battalion Dorvack." While I now realize that of course, duh, they're from the Dougram show - now I'm curious. Has anyone heard about this Dorvack show? Google isn't turning up much outside of a short wikipedia article and the requisite ANN article.

It's got a good OP and some cool robots

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Never seen the show directly, but its OP is the most 80s Real Robot thing I've ever seen.

I'm glad you specified real robot, otherwise I'd have to post the second Dancouga op.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they look like diving suits crossed with Scopedogs. i think i prefer the latter though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

they look like diving suits crossed with Scopedogs. i think i prefer the latter though.

Scopedogs aren't as bulbous and look like they can move, whereas those - they're cute, but I have trouble picturing them move at speeds faster than a slow, awkward waddle.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Droyer posted:

I'm glad you specified real robot, otherwise I'd have to post the second Dancouga op.

Dancouga OP 2 realizes what is truly 80s is not swarms of well animated missiles, but characters running at the screen in place with monochrome colored shadows.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dorvack's actually in X-Omega...think it's some sort of special thing alongside Albegas and Code Geass OZ.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All I know about Dorvack is that the recent blu-rays have been literally the only time the show has ever been released on home video.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you're familiar with Transformers, the Autobots Whirl and Roadbuster take their designs from two of the three main robots(which is why they never appeared in the cartoon)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If you're familiar with Transformers, the Autobots Whirl and Roadbuster take their designs from two of the three main robots(which is why they never appeared in the cartoon)

"Sorry, we couldn't show up in the G1 cartoon because we're too busy starring in a super-obscure real robot anime."

That is delightful. How/why the makers of Transformers got the idea to take other designs and tweak them into their own I will never know, but will always appreciate for the clusterfuck that is Skyfire/Jetfire's legal rights.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Dorvack's actually in X-Omega...think it's some sort of special thing alongside Albegas and Code Geass OZ.

I'm afraid I have to ask: what's X-Omega?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Sorry, we couldn't show up in the G1 cartoon because we're too busy starring in a super-obscure real robot anime."

That is delightful. How/why the makers of Transformers got the idea to take other designs and tweak them into their own I will never know, but will always appreciate for the clusterfuck that is Skyfire/Jetfire's legal rights.

They didn't really "get the idea", that idea is why transformers exists in the first place.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm afraid I have to ask: what's X-Omega?

X-Omega is the most recent Super Robot Wars game, a Mobile Game to be specific

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is the Dougram movie just a compilation?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gyra_Solune posted:

Code Geass OZ just made me think of a crossover between Code Geass and Gundam Wing. And now I really want it to be true, because adding that much insanity together can only yield awesome results.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Code Geass OZ just made me think of a crossover between Code Geass and Gundam Wing. And now I really want it to be true, because adding that much insanity together can only yield awesome results.

Well there's always Super Robot Wars Z2, which features Code Geass and Gundam Wing together.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Is the Dougram movie just a compilation?

Yes, and not a particularly good one at that. Choro-Q, on the other hand, is mandatory viewing once you finish the series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GorfZaplen posted:

Yes, and not a particularly good one at that. Choro-Q, on the other hand, is mandatory viewing once you finish the series.

There is a ton of stuff that could be cut, especially in the first half, but still. I can't even imagine how they'd get it all down to movie length.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Reds posted:

It does. Particularly after the Lorelei arc.

I just finished the Saluud arc, and I think it has picked up already if only because the Kurogane House characters are going back into the background a little. I don't think I've ever found characters so boring before, jesus.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Ironfoot is my favorite robot

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

The Ironfoot is my favorite robot

Hunched over Soundwave.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So this may have slipped under the radar, but Funimation recently picked up Doamaiger D, the retro-styled super robot short from a few seasons ago. First episode is up through their site, dunno when it'll hit Hulu.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just finished my first viewing of Big O. Wish I'd watched it sooner.

Gonna have to think about that ending a bit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
All J. Locke does is stand up in open-topped trucks and look inspiring

also, the Deloyer flag looks really stupid

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Terrible flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Got Orguss and Robot Carnival DVDs in yesterday.

Haven't checked Robot Carnival yet, but the Orguss DVDs seem to use the same tapes that the Japanese DVDs did. :< I was hoping for downscaled of the HD transfers the Blurays use.

On the plus side, the Orguss dub is amazing. Direction seems to have been non-existent, and some lines (especially anytime the twins share a line) sound like they were recorded in a closet.