Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

how big is hells kitchen for it to have its own superhero and poo poo?

Well, pretty much every super human but the X-Men live in New York City already, so size isn't really relevant. Single buildings can have anywhere from 1 to the entire Avengers officially reping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It speaks to the density of New York City's population. Hell's Kitchen may only be a 25-30 block radius but its probably like 50,000 residents. It can handle multiple gangs and ethnic groups so it can handle half dozen moderately powered heroes. And its not like the neighborhood has closed borders or anything. I don't anyone would notice if DD occasionally wandered into Midtown or Chelsea or took a trip uptown.

Plus, Hell's Kitchen is kind of vaguely a fictional setting at this stage. The diverse, low income neighborhood these comics were founded in has been gentrified and renamed "Clinton." The whole Kingpin story seems like it kind of speaks to that and puts the story at like a decade or two ago when the change was happening but DD's "Hell's Kitchen" is arguably closer to "Gotham" than the actual city neighborhood.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

They handwaved it as hell's kitchen being blown the gently caress up and rebuilt after yhe avengers movie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I'm not criticizing. Hell's Kitchen is a way better setting than Clinton and their handwavey reason doesn't even seem necessary to me. The overwhelming majority of viewers don't know anything about Hell's Kitchen or Clinton so its just a classic low income setting for the Defenders' grounded/populist heroes. Its a comic book, not a documentary.

I'm just saying since the very nature of DD's Hell's Kitchen is kind of fictional by default than the neighborhood can be bigger or denser or whatever it wants to be for the story's purposes (within reason).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I still hear the neighborhood called Hell's Kitchen. Don't think I've ever heard someone actually refer to it as Clinton, I think it's more of a real estate term or maybe I don't hang out with fancy enough people.

It might not exist anymore but I always got a chuckle out of the Chelsea-Clinton AIDS clinic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its hells kitchen being part of manhattan rather than part of new york that is an issue of scale if that makes sense

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hells Kitchen chat: I really liked that they tied the movies to the tv series in that detail. The Avengers are smashing stuff all the time while guys like Kingpin are following in the wake of the do-gooders and founding their empires by capitalizing on it.

It gives me hope that with all the Hydra agents in Shield being exposed and jailed/killed with regular Shield agents who are also being killed, somewhere out there both organizations are trying to rebuild their numbers and some amnesiac wearing a skull mask and white cape is offering to train troops for either.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

For what it's worth.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Barry Convex posted:

For what it's worth.

Oh bluh. I hope this isn't true but what else is there to think?

Hey Marvel call me I bet I could run this show for you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Look at who did the tweets. Therefore iron fist should be great

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Isn't Iron Fist after Luke Cage? So that's probably at least another year or two away.(or three, they can just make second seasons of JJ and LC, no?)

I don't know why people are panicking.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Deakul posted:

Isn't Iron Fist after Luke Cage? So that's probably at least another year or two away.(or three, they can just make second seasons of JJ and LC, no?)

I don't know why people are panicking.

Exactly.
There should be plenty to go on between new dd, jj, and (if it's good) lc that pushing iron fist back to make sure it's ready shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Look at who did the tweets. Therefore iron fist should be great

I'm new to all this, is Faraci known for running his mouth?

Serf
May 5, 2011

HIJK posted:

I'm new to all this, is Faraci known for running his mouth?

He talked mad poo poo about Daredevil before it aired, and was wrong on pretty much every account. Dude has a real issue with Marvel for some reason. Or maybe it's just their TV stuff? Other than that he's known for talking out of his rear end about stuff in the entertainment industry that I've never seen anyone else confirm, so his word means basically poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I will gladly be the showrunner for Iron Fist, Marvel. Hire me!

It'll just be Fraction's run adapted, but that's what you should be doing anyway!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Serf posted:

He talked mad poo poo about Daredevil before it aired, and was wrong on pretty much every account. Dude has a real issue with Marvel for some reason. Or maybe it's just their TV stuff? Other than that he's known for talking out of his rear end about stuff in the entertainment industry that I've never seen anyone else confirm, so his word means basically poo poo.
Maybe he's a poster on CD? :v:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe he's a poster on CD? :v:

I'd say he's SMG but he didn't quote Zizek

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Daredevil season 2 is going to turn out to actually be Iron Fist season 1. K'un-Lun has IMF level disguises.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Codependent Poster posted:

I will gladly be the showrunner for Iron Fist, Marvel. Hire me!

It'll just be Fraction's run adapted, but that's what you should be doing anyway!

Are you Yuen Wo Ping? Because if not, step off.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sorry, I should have linked to/quoted the new Bleeding Cool rumor Faraci was responding to. For context:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/11/nycc-15-the-marvel-filmtv-wars-get-more-complex-inhumans-iron-fist-and-staffers/

Rich Johnston, Bleeding Cool posted:

One rather reliable source connected to Marvel told me that the Inhumans movie was only announced at CEO Isaac Perlmutter‘s insistence, if movie boss Kevin Feige was allowed to announce Feige’s own pet projects, Captain Marvel and Black Panther. And that is behind the now autonomous Feige’s decision to drop it.

Or more accurately, I am told, de-prioritise it. Let it fall down the soldiers until, eventually, it’s said that they could never find the right people for it.

I was also told to expect the upcoming Iron Fist project through Netflix to be hit by Marvel Studios interference – they still do have a say and a signoff into how the show appear and the word is the show may be killed with such procedural notes.

I was also told to keep an eye on around fifty staffers in the west coast Marvel Studios who are affiliated with Isaac Perlmutter and Marvel East in some way, who are currently sitting around filling time doing very little…

Serf posted:

Faraci is one of the more credible fanboy quasi-news bloggers out there, IMO. His track record isn't perfect (I still wonder who he was hearing "very bad buzz about Daredevil" from), but I'd trust him over Johnston any day.

That said, while Johnston's sources clearly have an axe to grind against Feige, they also seem to be closer to Marvel Television than Faraci's or McWeeny's sources, so who knows.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 11, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everything that Rich Johnston posts should be immediately regarded as false until there is overwhelming evidence that it's not. Especially with anything not directly related to publishing comic books.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That would be seriously disappointing if they nuked Iron Fist over something as stupid as "procedural notes." Iron Fist sounds primed for a traditional Hero's Journey, all they really have to do is make a wuxia version of A New Hope.

Fingers crossed. That note-making committee sounds like way more trouble than it's worth.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We should probably just ignore anything by Rich Johnston or Devin Faraci, they've dug their own graves and filled them full of horseshit rumors.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That description of the first episode sounds interesting and exciting. I was cautiously optimistic about Melissa Rosenberg as the showrunner; looks like my optimistic side is winning out.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Serf posted:

Devin might just have a beef with TV stuff (I haven't seen this first-hand, and can't attest to it), because from his reporting on Badass Digest/birthmoviesdeath, he's been very on top of and involved with MCU news, mostly in a positive manner.

I don't always agree with Faraci taste-wise, but my experience is that he usually *is* a reliable source. I remember him talking about developments in Age of Ultron soon after Winter Soldier came out, and he mentioned a party scene early on in the film, and that Marvel was considering having Carol Danvers appear in a stinger, but that was one of several possible rewrites that hadn't been pinned down yet. Both of these turned out to be correct (including that a Danvers cameo was considered but rejected) almost a year before the film premiered. He also knew that Civil War was going to be the inspiration for the third Cap film a year in advance. I mean, take everything from the rumor mill with a healthy dose of salt, but I believe that Faraci does have some fairly accurate insider info. Not all the people he's getting it from may be on base (re: the negative Daredevil buzz), but I have no reason to believe he was reporting that in bad faith.

Barry Convex posted:

That said, while Johnston's sources clearly have an axe to grind against Feige, they also seem to be closer to Marvel Television than Faraci's or McWeeny's sources, so who knows.

What area would you say McWeeny is most accurate in? I'm not as familiar with him.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 12, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So has anyone posted a full spoiler review of episode 1 anywhere yet?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New interview with Rosenberg and Ritter. Note that some critics and press have already seen the second episode.

http://collider.com/jessica-jones-krysten-ritter-melissa-rosenberg-interview-nycc/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Graaah I'm hype as gently caress for JJ now, I'm glad it's getting really good reaction.

Here's a good copy of the DD s2 "trailer", the new footage starts at 1:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmFjIC1TAE

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

zoux posted:

Graaah I'm hype as gently caress for JJ now, I'm glad it's getting really good reaction.

Here's a good copy of the DD s2 "trailer", the new footage starts at 1:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmFjIC1TAE

The clean version has been uploaded here without any Season 1 footage: http://entertaintheidea.com/post/131021116408/father-why-do-i-still-feel-guilty-beg-and-watch

"B E G ."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
S.J. Clarkson directed the first two episodes of JJ?

She did a couple of episodes for Banshee's first season. poo poo's gonna own. :munch:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Barry Convex posted:

New interview with Rosenberg and Ritter. Note that some critics and press have already seen the second episode.

http://collider.com/jessica-jones-krysten-ritter-melissa-rosenberg-interview-nycc/

quote:

ROSENBERG: The only thing we couldn’t do was drop F-bombs, which we wanted to really.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

HIJK posted:

The clean version has been uploaded here without any Season 1 footage: http://entertaintheidea.com/post/131021116408/father-why-do-i-still-feel-guilty-beg-and-watch

"B E G ."

I know there's only like a split second of The Punisher at the end (I have no idea what we're spoiler tagging and what we're not).

But drat that got me excited. The Punisher was never one of my favorites growing up, but Garth Ennis' run really turned me onto the character, especially in part because of Steve Dillon's art - anyway - I was excited for DD Season 2 already, but now I'm loving pumped. I don't know where to set my expectations, but I am absolutely stoked.

I honestly never read Jessica Jones, I don't recall why. My passing knowledge of the character didn't have me interested in that series when it was announced, but considering it's getting good buzz, I'm definitely interested now. Can anyone recommend a quick primer for the series? TIA. I don't have time to go read her whole catalog, but is there a run that covers the basics?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I honestly never read Jessica Jones, I don't recall why. My passing knowledge of the character didn't have me interested in that series when it was announced, but considering it's getting good buzz, I'm definitely interested now. Can anyone recommend a quick primer for the series? TIA. I don't have time to go read her whole catalog, but is there a run that covers the basics?

There is no series called Jessica Jones. Just read Alias, then if you want more move onto The Pulse. She doesn't have an extensive catalog -- that's her first appearance even though they insert her into some backstory.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I know there's only like a split second of The Punisher at the end (I have no idea what we're spoiler tagging and what we're not).

But drat that got me excited. The Punisher was never one of my favorites growing up, but Garth Ennis' run really turned me onto the character, especially in part because of Steve Dillon's art - anyway - I was excited for DD Season 2 already, but now I'm loving pumped. I don't know where to set my expectations, but I am absolutely stoked.

Her comic book series is called Alias (it has no relation to the Abrams show.) It's one long run and then she becomes a significant side character to the Marvel U.

I am so nervous and excited for season 2. I think The Punisher will be stellar (Jesus, Bernthal sold me with one raspy word) though I worry Matt's love life will become a plot tumour and take away from the hard-nosed brutality. (Karen can go to hell, is what I'm saying.) But I can always fast forward and get to Frank.

Excitement!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Matt's love life has always been a huge part of his character. Plus we're getting Elektra, so yeah, it'll be there.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

Matt's love life has always been a huge part of his character. Plus we're getting Elektra, so yeah, it'll be there.

To be fair when a characters love life involves Greek assassins and ancient ninja clans it tends to be more interesting.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

Was coming to post the same. I kind of expected a trailer over the weekend or today after the initial buzz of showing the pilot at NYCC.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Can't be more than a day or two off, at least... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They didn't really ramp up the Daredevil promos until a few weeks before it came out. So I'd say at the end of the month/start of November is when we'll get the advertising rush.

Like maybe expect them to promote the first trailer on Agents of SHIELD.