Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Yeah those exist, they're called sd gundam. I didn't include them in the op because 1) i know very little about them and 2) they're kind of their own separate thing. Feel free to talk about them though!

SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors is a CGI series retelling the story of The Romance of the The Three Kingdoms with all the characters played by living SD Gundams

Superior Defender Gundam Force was a CGI series made for the North American market I don't think anybody ever watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

I have never watched a Gundam but I might one day.

I think you should! It's good fun, most of the time.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Superior Defender Gundam Force was a CGI series made for the North American market I don't think anybody ever watched

I watched it because I was a really retarded kid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

I think I watched it too, but I can't remember a drat thing about it. I think the goofy villain squad was a bunch of Zakus?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NotALizardman posted:

Was it good?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors is a CGI series retelling the story of The Romance of the The Three Kingdoms with all the characters played by living SD Gundams

There's also Mobile Suit SD Gundam, which is unrelated to the "sentient Gundams with huge eyes" stuff and is instead a gag OVA about SD versions of various Gundam characters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

There's also Mobile Suit SD Gundam, which is unrelated to the "sentient Gundams with huge eyes" stuff and is instead a gag OVA about SD versions of various Gundam characters.

I watched some of that and it's incredibly un-notable. Like, Gundam Evolve deserves more mention than the old SD Gundam OVAs, unless you're talking strictly about the hsitory of Gundam merchandise.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Motto posted:

I think I watched it too, but I can't remember a drat thing about it. I think the goofy villain squad was a bunch of Zakus?

Same here. I can remember like, the weird jingle thing they had for the toy commercials, and that the main police gundam could turn into a car?

:shrug:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zako Zako Hour.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This is a bit outside the scope of the gundam thread, but I'd just like to mention that everyone who enjoyed g gundam should definitely check out the other stuff by the same director. Giant Robo especially.

As a matter of fact i'm gonna add a link to the general mecha thread to the op.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

so I went to youtube to check it out and well, it's certainly A Thing

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well yeah, every mecha thread should at some point recommend Giant Robo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Gundam

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess 2 cour Gundam shows will be the norm going forward? I wonder if thia means we'll end up will more Gundam shows coming out overall.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

littleorv posted:

I have never watched a Gundam but I might one day.

you should watch victory gundam, look at how fun its op is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYPjcrB9l8

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I guess 2 cour Gundam shows will be the norm going forward? I wonder if thia means we'll end up will more Gundam shows coming out overall.

I doubt we'll ever have as many as there were in the mid 90's.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I guess 2 cour Gundam shows will be the norm going forward?

God I hope so

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hi Droyer I'm going to post to say that I don't think turn a gundam is a good first gundam and people should watch the movies of original gundam instead

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Gundam Origin manga is really, really good too if people want to read Gundam instead of watching it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Turn a is better, imo, once you have a bit of gundam under your belt

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

people should watch the movies of original gundam instead

I already said this though?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

you should watch victory gundam, look at how fun its op is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYPjcrB9l8

it would be great if the tone of the show actually matched the OP though :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Turn a is better, imo, once you have a bit of gundam under your belt

Droyer posted:

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

I already said this though?

quote:

If you’re a complete newbie to Gundam consider starting with 1) War in The Pocket, which while being set in the UC requires no outside information, is quite short and is generally considered very good. 2) ∀ Gundam, which is generally considered the best full length Gundam show. Or 3) Iron-Blooded Orphans, which has recently started, had a promising start, and you can watch with other goons. It has its own thread (link below). If you want to get into UC It's generally recommended to start with the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies.
I'm saying that the movies should be a rec for newbies and not just people who want to get into UC

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am namtab and I have opinions regarding robots

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

I'm saying that the movies should be a rec for newbies and not just people who want to get into UC

They're good, but you need to be able to stomach terrible late 70s animation.

Also, the OP could do with some more art just to break it up a bit. Maybe use some of the covers for the more recent Bluray releases?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I want the OP to include official Droyer reviews for every gundam

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Droyer posted:

Also, I said this at the end of the last thread, but if anyone has a list of which gundam shows/movies are legally available outside of Japan I'll gladly add that to the OP.

Do you want stuff that was at one point available and is out of print and only available via 3rd party sales or just the stuff that you can currently buy that is in print? I've got a list of both depending on what you want.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OZC posted:

Do you want stuff that was at one point available and is out of print and only available via 3rd party sales or just the stuff that you can currently buy that is in print? I've got a list of both depending on what you want.

Just in print is plenty I think

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I want the OP to include official Droyer reviews for every gundam

People asked for a neutral op, so that's what i gave them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

People asked for a neutral op, so that's what i gave them.

Do it in the second post or right now after this post. I need to know how many Droyers out of 10 gundam evolve gets seeing as I've never heard of it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Do it in the second post or right now after this post. I need to know how many Droyers out of 10 gundam evolve gets seeing as I've never heard of it

Evolve are short mini episodes centered around a single robot. They're mostly fun, but don't add much overall to the greater gundam experience. Of note though is the (non-canon) one about the nu gundam that gave Quess and Hathaway a happy ending. Overall, fun but nothing amazing. 7 droyers out of ten

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Now do that but for every gundam

E: also thanks

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're good, but you need to be able to stomach terrible late 70s animation.

Also, the OP could do with some more art just to break it up a bit. Maybe use some of the covers for the more recent Bluray releases?

This is true. I'll see what I can do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Turn a and V2.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Mobile Suit Gundam (TV!!) and Crossbone X2 (Not Kai!!!) :anime:

The original Gundam is great because it was really unique at the time and in a sense still is, and inspired an entire subgenre of anime. Amuro is the original teenager that fell into a Gundam, but he's super unhappy about it and nearly half the series is about him balancing his ego as far and away the best pilot White Base has, while also being terrified of going into battle. It's really easy to see yourself in the situations where he lashes out at other people, not because they're assholes (they are, and so is he) but because he's a scared, lonely teenager with space aspergers.

Char is a classic villain. Everyone knows who he is. He's great as a villain because he's not evil and trying to conquer Earth or anything, he's great because he's broken as heck and will stop at nothing for revenge, even killing his best friend. And he wants to beat Amuro because he's a gat dang teenager that upstaged him as being the best robot pilot ever.

muike fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 12, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Namtab posted:

Build Fighters 1, Tallgeese. Though if you limit the latter category specifically to gundams rather than all mobile suits, I'll go with Destiny.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I liked the vaguely real world trappings of 00, and the fact that the heroes were being knowingly hypocritical. Exia was also p.rad. season 2 fell apart for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As for wing gundam it has big lasers and was my favourite to play in dynasty warriors gundam 1