Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
So from the end, Harmony is now at war with Odium? Or is there another shard out there that wants to take him down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Narmi posted:

So from the end, Harmony is now at war with Odium? Or is there another shard out there that wants to take him down?

I'm guessing that it is another one. There is one called Autonomy that would fit.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I've got the audiobook and only a few hours each day to listen to it so am making pretty slow progress.
Speculation that is probably totally wrong:
I'm starting to wonder whether Spook set up some sort of hemalurgic vigilante secret society. That would be really cool if he had (Steal allomantic powers from criminals etc.?)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've got the audiobook and only a few hours each day to listen to it so am making pretty slow progress.
Speculation that is probably totally wrong:
I'm starting to wonder whether Spook set up some sort of hemalurgic vigilante secret society. That would be really cool if he had (Steal allomantic powers from criminals etc.?)

Good idea, but nope.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing I always wondered about, what's their source of aluminium? Considering that electricity is a very recent development, how do they extract it from bauxite? It seems like half the population is wearing tinfoil hats, and the soothing/rioting stations are supposed to be insulated with aluminium in the walls, there must be tons and tons of aluminium in just Elendel.

Edit: Also, Soonie cubs! Amazing, simply amazing.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Finished it this morning.

Not much of a Sanderson Avalanche, but the twist was pretty good and depressing. I thought this one was better than Alloy of Law, though I certainly enjoyed both.

That extra bit in the Ars Arcanum is super interesting. So it's not just Allomancy/Feruchemy that have benefits when smashed together. It's probably not just another form of compounding, but something unique to each pairing. So, what happens if you pair 3 or more - do you gain each bonus ability, or are there extra ones for adding a third and fourth and on? Either way, Hoid's going to be a mini-god.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Torrannor posted:

One thing I always wondered about, what's their source of aluminium? Considering that electricity is a very recent development, how do they extract it from bauxite? It seems like half the population is wearing tinfoil hats, and the soothing/rioting stations are supposed to be insulated with aluminium in the walls, there must be tons and tons of aluminium in just Elendel.

Edit: Also, Soonie cubs! Amazing, simply amazing.

Aluminum was around pre-electricity in the real world, as well. It's just the cost of smelting was extremely high and aluminum was worth more than gold by weight. Which would probably explain why the books keep mentioning how much just a bullet casing is worth.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Hall-Heroult process is discovered on Scadrial. The appearance of plentiful and cheap aluminum is sure to cause a major disruption in society.

EDIT: Didn't answer original question. They most likely use some variation of the real world historical method for smelting. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Prior to the invention of this process in 1886, elemental aluminium was made by heating ore along with elemental sodium or potassium in a vacuum. The method was complicated and consumed materials that were themselves expensive at that time. This made early elemental aluminium more expensive than gold.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 7, 2015

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

That extra bit in the Ars Arcanum is super interesting. So it's not just Allomancy/Feruchemy that have benefits when smashed together. It's probably not just another form of compounding, but something unique to each pairing. So, what happens if you pair 3 or more - do you gain each bonus ability, or are there extra ones for adding a third and fourth and on? Either way, Hoid's going to be a mini-god.

Could be referencing Lift, and in the future possibly Dalinar too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lobsterpillar posted:

What I'd like to know is how has hemalurgy changed? Based on that corpse it looks like the way to implement it is still pretty much the same.

Basically it was always Ruin's power. Pre-Harmony, having a spike allowed Ruin to mess with your head, and two spikes+ allowed him to "Assume Control" a la Harbinger in Mass Effect. So now that Ruin is no longer a distinct entity but part of Harmony, using it is no longer tying yourself to the whims of an insane mad god who wants to destroy the world--so no longer "bad" or "evil" in that sense. Whether or not Sazed is mad in an altogether different way is another topic for discussion. But ultimately, the basic mechanics of Hemalurgy are unchanged--you gotta break off the magic-using piece of someone's soul (via killing them) to charge a spike.
Interestingly, there are hints that this means other Investiture systems could be plundered via Hemalurgy, not just Allomancy/Feruchemy.

Good book altogether. Really avoids some of Sanderson's pacing issues (trademark avalanche) though that could just be an artifact of writing the third book prior to/in the middle of writing this one. Welcome change at any rate, and the end twist was a real gut punch.

Only waiting 3 months between books is going to spoil me.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 8, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Good book altogether. Really avoids some of Sanderson's pacing issues (trademark avalanche) though that could just be an artifact of writing the third book prior to/in the middle of writing this one. Welcome change at any rate, and the end twist was a real gut punch.

You ain't kidding about that twist. It all clicked for me during the conversation when Bleeder is still trying to convince Wax to turn away from Harmony but even though the crumbs had been laid, it never even occurred to me before that reveal. I mean, I had a sneaking suspicion that the Governor was already replaced, once they started talking about how well kandra can mimic, but I still got blindsided by that ending.

That aside, I hope that Steris gets more attention as I'm starting to really like her (from what little we've seen). And I'm sad that Wayne despises her.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

flosofl posted:

You ain't kidding about that twist. It all clicked for me during the conversation when Bleeder is still trying to convince Wax to turn away from Harmony but even though the crumbs had been laid, it never even occurred to me before that reveal. I mean, I had a sneaking suspicion that the Governor was already replaced, once they started talking about how well kandra can mimic, but I still got blindsided by that ending.

That aside, I hope that Steris gets more attention as I'm starting to really like her (from what little we've seen). And I'm sad that Wayne despises her.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but a good bit before the end I actually became convinced that Aledar was the one that Bleeder replaced, since he was acting differently than the other Octant constable-captains. Being the only one to call for martial law? I was sure that the call for martial law played into her plan somehow. It did, but whoops.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah that ending certainly was something. I started wondering about Lessie being replaced a little before the reveal, since either she or Tan(?) had to be after all we'd seen. Though the extent of the replacement was not expected. For awhile I'd figured that either MeLaan or Steris were the ones who'd been replaced though.

After reading this book though it just further cements the notion that Stormlight Archives is going to be the end game for the cosmere. You have Hoid taking on a very central role there while he's little more than a name drop in other books (including this one) in addition to Nightblood and god knows who/what else being present for the Desolation, coupled with the fact that Dalinar's final vision (before they started repeating) was Honor making it clear that "hey, if Odium wins, this planet's hosed and then he's going to go destroy everything everywhere." Considering the spike that Bleeder had I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately came from Odium (or maybe Hoid for some odd reason).

One thing I'd been wondering since Alloy of Law, and I think this book confirmed, was if Wax's earring Pathian earring is actually Vin's. When Harmony confirmed for him that the earring is a hemalurgic spike I think that removed any doubt on the matter. The fact that it was delivered to him by a kandra only reinforces that the earring was hers. The only other explanation is that Harmony decided to have one made and it just happened to look just like Vin's.

Avalerion posted:

Could be referencing Lift, and in the future possibly Dalinar too.

I think it's just referring to the fact that Each of the Knights Radiant have two surgebindings and as such they operate very differently than orders they share a single surgebinding with. Replacing either of Kaladin's bindings with illusions like Shallan has and you'd end up with an entirely different outcome. Same with Shallan. Replace the illusions with lashing, and she's going to be able to do things that simply wouldn't be possible otherwise (like lashing a brick at someone and transmuting it to acid before impact).

e: Though I can only imagine that if someone uses hemalurgy to give themselves every surgebinding then they'd have a stupid amount of power. At this point we know Hoid has at least Perfect Pitch (and he's ageless), likely has full Mistborn powers like Elendel and the Lord Ruler, plus knowledge of Hemalurgy which would let him take every other power in the Cosmere if he doesn't mind the risk of Harmony being able to control him even when he's on other worlds should he use multiple spikes.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 8, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If the earring is the same, then Wax would have Seeker abilities (allomantic power sensing) as well as steelpushing when he has it on. Of course, he'd only realize it if he ingested and tried to burn bronze--two things that he'd never try to do. So yeah, could totally be it. Or could just be a clever way to get someone to use a spike in an innocuous and unknowing manner that doesn't raise the suspicion of "pound this metal stake into your gut, willya?" --It was Ruin's ploy to begin with on Vin, after all.

Edit: VVV We have a confirmation of that timing?

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 8, 2015

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lots of speculation

This book takes place after The Stormlight Archives so the finale of that series can't be too earth shattering with respect to the rest of the Cosmere. I assume Odium will bite it but there are still plenty of other shards out there that can cause trouble in Mistborn world.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
We apparently just got WoB confirmation on the name of another shard Autonomy. Given Bleeders motives, and the nice new duality it forms with Harmony - replacing the old duality of Ruin/Preservation - it seems likely that this shard is the driving force behind opposition to Harmony. Why a shard would migrate to a new world is another question, but if any shard would be a wanderer, it would be Autonomy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah that ending certainly was something. I started wondering about Lessie being replaced a little before the reveal, since either she or Tan(?) had to be after all we'd seen. Though the extent of the replacement was not expected. For awhile I'd figured that either MeLaan or Steris were the ones who'd been replaced though.

After reading this book though it just further cements the notion that Stormlight Archives is going to be the end game for the cosmere. You have Hoid taking on a very central role there while he's little more than a name drop in other books (including this one) in addition to Nightblood and god knows who/what else being present for the Desolation, coupled with the fact that Dalinar's final vision (before they started repeating) was Honor making it clear that "hey, if Odium wins, this planet's hosed and then he's going to go destroy everything everywhere." Considering the spike that Bleeder had I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately came from Odium (or maybe Hoid for some odd reason).

One thing I'd been wondering since Alloy of Law, and I think this book confirmed, was if Wax's earring Pathian earring is actually Vin's. When Harmony confirmed for him that the earring is a hemalurgic spike I think that removed any doubt on the matter. The fact that it was delivered to him by a kandra only reinforces that the earring was hers. The only other explanation is that Harmony decided to have one made and it just happened to look just like Vin's.

I think it's just referring to the fact that Each of the Knights Radiant have two surgebindings and as such they operate very differently than orders they share a single surgebinding with. Replacing either of Kaladin's bindings with illusions like Shallan has and you'd end up with an entirely different outcome. Same with Shallan. Replace the illusions with lashing, and she's going to be able to do things that simply wouldn't be possible otherwise (like lashing a brick at someone and transmuting it to acid before impact).

e: Though I can only imagine that if someone uses hemalurgy to give themselves every surgebinding then they'd have a stupid amount of power. At this point we know Hoid has at least Perfect Pitch (and he's ageless), likely has full Mistborn powers like Elendel and the Lord Ruler, plus knowledge of Hemalurgy which would let him take every other power in the Cosmere if he doesn't mind the risk of Harmony being able to control him even when he's on other worlds should he use multiple spikes.

I disagree about the earring. Look at this:

Alloy of Law posted:

He reached into his pocket, fishing out his earring. It was a simple thing, stamped on the head with the ten interlocking rings of the Path.

The Final Empire posted:

The earring she put in her ear - it was a very simple thing. Little more than a stud, not even worth stealing,

Now consider this:

Shadows of Self posted:

Marasi fidgeted, then she sighed and took the strange spike back. She dropped something else on the table as she rose. A small earring, just a stud, with the back bent over. "They sent this for you."

I'm 100% certain that she gave him Vin's earring right there, in the last chapter of Shadows of Self. It's a simple stud like Vin had, while the other was of newer design with the Path symbol already on it. And it wouldn't have made any sense to introduce this earring in the very last chapter if it wasn't significant.

Regarding Stormlight Archives, it would depend on the time frame? Brandon has these other Mistborn books planned, with the 20th century trilogy and the futuristic trilogy, where they fly around in spaceships using clever applications of Allomancy and Ferruchemy. That's centuries off. I could imagine a Stormlight ending in which they defeat but not kill Odium, and he simply has to retreat from Roshar. I also think it has been implied by Brandon that Harmony is stronger than Odium in a straight up fight, so I'm not sure if Odium winning on Roshar would automatically be the end of everything.

Using Hemalurgy to get every kind of Surgebinding would make somebody absurdly powerful, but we already saw something similar with the Lord Ruler, who had every Allomantic and Ferruchemical power, and was indeed nearly unkillable, it required divine intervention and a big portion of luck to do it. But I think that Twinborn thing in the Ars Arcanum meant something different. The Skybreakers were said to have a special sense to separate the innocent from the guilty. The Lightweavers had mnemonic memory (Shallan has that, too). Truthwatchers (Renarin) can see the future, even though none of his Surges grant that abiliy (Healing and Illusion, respectively). It's implied that every Knight Radiant gained powers beyond the two basic Surges granted by his spren, and that those were always the same within an Order, who always had the same combination of Surges. The author of the Ars Arcanum speculates that this must also be true for the Twinborn, who probably have abilities beyond their one Ferruchemical and one Allomantic power.

Ethiser posted:

This book takes place after The Stormlight Archives so the finale of that series can't be too earth shattering with respect to the rest of the Cosmere. I assume Odium will bite it but there are still plenty of other shards out there that can cause trouble in Mistborn world.

It's not that simple.

Brandon Sanderson on reddit posted:

ZAS678 (REDDIT.COM)
How long before Way of Kings is Alloy of Law? I heard somewhere that it's a hundred years, but I don't think that's right.

BRANDON SANDERSON (REDDIT.COM)
I intended them to be happening roughly close to one another, with Way of Kings slightly before.

So you see, the four Wax and Wayne Mistborn books take place at roughly the same time as a lot of Stormlight Archive. Hoid's sudden departure from Stormlight Archive can be explained with him taking a trip to Scadrial. I would also bet money that the tenth book of Stormligh Archive takes place after The Lost Metal.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it looks like a CIA document :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, it looks like a CIA document :(

There's supposed to be a time jump between SA 5 and 6 (or at least, that's what was planned) so depending on its length it could very easily overtake AoL.
(don't think relative timelines between book titles are spoiler territory)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Wow, nice catch. It's so easy to miss because little is called to it, but he did need a new earring and that sort of thing wouldn't surprise me given Sanderson.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Just finished the audiobook version.

I'm so glad they have the same narrator for all of the books so far. I can't imagine Wayne any other way now. Every time they mention Hoid I am curious if he'd have a speaking line or two so I could see if Kramer would use the same accent he does for Wit in Way of Kings, but so far he's just been a random mention.

This book was a real gut punch of an ending. I'm glad that there's not too long of a wait until the next book, because I'd hate to have to wait a year or so for it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Finished it today as well. Goddamn I'm so glad we get the next one soon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The earring in AoL was made from a melted down inquisitor spike.

Apparently you can split up a bit of hemalurgy and both pieces will work (at reduced efficiency)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

The author of the Ars Arcanum speculates that this must also be true for the Twinborn, who probably have abilities beyond their one Ferruchemical and one Allomantic power.

Twinborn stuff: Hm, like the bubble thing Wax can do with his steelpush?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Thought it was obvious a bit too early that the governor had been replaced

As for the next book, I'm figuring Kelsier is the big bad? Sazed mentions that he used to talk to him but doesn't any more. And our raft of villains are all obsessed with bringing down the aristocracy and granting freedom to the working man (skaa). I'm also super interested to find out what the Koloss are up to in general; they're obviously still practicing hemalurgy and apparently openly recruit? Wax mentions they offer to let you join.

Oh, and a mention of the lads down south too. Implying they have air travel and radio; that suggests a technological level sufficient to figure out the north pole is habitable and send an expedition to explore. Presuming that is the plot of the next mistborn trilogy.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 9, 2015

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh Sazed after having a horrible crisis of faith when your loved one dies tragically...you orchestrate this for poor Wax. I get the feeling that Harmony is not as "balanced" as would be ideal. Ruin can only destroy, and Preservation seems set on maintaining the status quo, which results in something that lacks an ability to grow. Harmony blames the city being too perfect resulting in the slow technological progress of Elendel, but I think lack of growth/advancement might be in his very nature.

It sounds like our new player on the shard scene is Autonomy! That matches pretty well with the NO GODS NO MASTERS lines we were getting from Bleeder. Autonomy can be interpreted a lot of ways, but I'm holding out hope for a civilization of crazy Ayn Rand worshipping types.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

An interesting tidbit: Signing session question asked if there could be more atium or lerasium, and the answer was "no" because neither Preservation nor Ruin existed anymore. The obvious followup of "does Harmonium exist" got a "that's an excellent question" response.

So, yeah. Harmonium is (probably) A Thing and probably allows for allomancy (lerasium) + futuresight (what atium allowed) + something else (given Sanderson's A+B < C tendencies for magical combination)

So that's another candidate for the unknown metal, though you'd think Harmony would recognize its own essence.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Also, dug the shout out to "visitors from another world" - Pretty concrete that shardpools are how one travels the cosmere then, though that's been more or less known for awhile now.

So, the mists still exist. That's Harmony's Spiritual realm manifestation I take it and apparently he just kept them around. If Harmonium is a thing, then that'd be his Physical.

What's Harmony's Cognitive realm manifestation? There's a shardpool on Scadrial, so I guess that's probably it, but there's another Shard in play now so it's not definitive.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SoS reaction: -Despite wayne's jokes being pretty mild on an objective scale, in a sanderson book he's got the dirtiest mouth we've seen.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Mortanis posted:

Also, dug the shout out to "visitors from another world" - Pretty concrete that shardpools are how one travels the cosmere then, though that's been more or less known for awhile now.

So, the mists still exist. That's Harmony's Spiritual realm manifestation I take it and apparently he just kept them around. If Harmonium is a thing, then that'd be his Physical.

What's Harmony's Cognitive realm manifestation? There's a shardpool on Scadrial, so I guess that's probably it, but there's another Shard in play now so it's not definitive.

Re: mistborn modern trilogy 3: I read somewhere that it is theorized that Harmonium will be forming soon, if you assume it has similar "recharging" properties to Atium.

Therefore, that might explain how there are mistborn in Sanderson's rough draft of mistborn trilogy 3.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

65% of the way through the book, but I'm not sure if I want to go all in and guess that Bleeder is Steris because of the "always does her research" thing, or if that's just a distraction. I'll find out in a few hours when I'm done with the book, I suppose.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

65% of the way through the book, but I'm not sure if I want to go all in and guess that Bleeder is Steris because of the "always does her research" thing, or if that's just a distraction. I'll find out in a few hours when I'm done with the book, I suppose.

100% wrong on that guess, haha. Another enjoyable read from Sanderson down. I'm happy the next book is coming out so soon; I wonder if it will have a timegap of a few years to allow for airplanes and radios and whatnot to be invented by that 15 year old (with the side effect of making Wayne incredibly rich?). Can't wait to see how all of the cosmere hints start coming together.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait are you saying wayne turns into speedwagon :monocle:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tunicate posted:

Wait are you saying wayne turns into speedwagon :monocle:

And funds Not-Tesla's daughter!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Gardenator posted:

Re: mistborn modern trilogy 3: I read somewhere that it is theorized that Harmonium will be forming soon, if you assume it has similar "recharging" properties to Atium.

Therefore, that might explain how there are mistborn in Sanderson's rough draft of mistborn trilogy 3.

Harmony can just make someone Mistborn too. It's one of the first things he does after(while?) fixing the world. The metal that existed already would still exist if he didn't unmake it too. Though the Atium was used up and if there was any Lerasium other than what was at the Well I don't think we've been told so.

Democratic Pirate posted:

100% wrong on that guess, haha. Another enjoyable read from Sanderson down. I'm happy the next book is coming out so soon; I wonder if it will have a timegap of a few years to allow for airplanes and radios and whatnot to be invented by that 15 year old (with the side effect of making Wayne incredibly rich?). Can't wait to see how all of the cosmere hints start coming together.

I'm going to be legit sad if Wayne doesn't use his wealth from the Vanishers case to bankroll her and become an insanely rich dude who proceeds to go around high society not giving a gently caress and making everyone uncomfortable (including if not espcially Wax).

Wax mentions Wayne is basically rich from the bounty they got after AoL so it'd be pretty funny to see him end up bankrolling totally-not-Tesla's daughter and becoming crazy rich. Though he'd still probably go do his thing the first of every month and feel even worse the richer he got. :smith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Harmony can just make someone Mistborn too. It's one of the first things he does after(while?) fixing the world. The metal that existed already would still exist if he didn't unmake it too. Though the Atium was used up and if there was any Lerasium other than what was at the Well I don't think we've been told so.

Hoid stole some. TLR kept several of them around after empowering the original allomancers, so there were probably 16 nuggets originally.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to be legit sad if Wayne doesn't use his wealth from the Vanishers case to bankroll her and become an insanely rich dude who proceeds to go around high society not giving a gently caress and making everyone uncomfortable (including if not espcially Wax).

Wax mentions Wayne is basically rich from the bounty they got after AoL so it'd be pretty funny to see him end up bankrolling totally-not-Tesla's daughter and becoming crazy rich. Though he'd still probably go do his thing the first of every month and feel even worse the richer he got. :smith:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking will happen as well.

I think we're going to see a lot of Marsh action/interaction in the scenes where Hoid is on Scadrial. It makes sense that Harmony would send his best agent after Hoid considering Hoid's endgame likely involves killing all the shardholders or some other way to steal their power.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Decided to read Shadows of Self before the Traitor because you can always count on Sanderson for some light, enjoyable fluff.

________________ :( ____________________

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So I finished Shadows of Self and it was alright, I guess. I'm starting to become increasingly convinced that The Emperor's Soul was a fluke, and Sanderson is never going to write something in that league again. Although, given his volume, maybe lightning will strike twice (or three times).

It's weird because I feel like he takes a step forward but then immediately takes a step back. I'm not going to spoiler issues that are just extensions of the first book.

This is sort of an overall issue I have with Sanderson's writing. He is often pretty bad at writing about things he doesn't personally know/do. I 100% believe that you can write about something compellingly even if you have no experience with it, but you have to either do your research or be really observant. Take his version of drinking - People are always drinking in this book, but Sanderson has a seven year old's understanding of getting drunk. Like, someone touches a drink and they're suddenly bumbling and slurring their speech. It's cartoonish. It makes the charcter's less believable and generally does a disservice to the book.

I think this is the book where he used the most real profanity, which is good if you want to have characters in intense situations sound like actual adults, but his fake profanity is SOOOOOO over done it just makes the text drag. There are swaths of the book where it feels like 1 in every 10 words is some variations of "rust." I think it's worse here than even the Stormlight Archives. I get fake profanity in network TV, but it really has no place in a book unless you're writing kids' books and don't think kids can handle it. It will always undercut the impact profanity is supposed to have. This is why HBO didn't use actual period old-timey cursing in Deadwood. You dramatically reduce the impact of cursing if you're using a curse that has no resonance for the reader. I wish he'd just pull the trigger if he wants to use it and go all the way. If he can't do that, fine. Then just don't put cursing in the book (fake or real). It'll be better for it. Believable speech helps to build believable characters.

On that note, I have a hard time with most of the main characters. I get that he's going for a sort of Joss Whedon tone where we get a lot of laughs and clever banter, but then we can also have intense scenes. However, you need to strike a balance or I, as a reader, am not going to buy the drama. Sanderson goes too far into the comic here, and it ends up in slapstick. The characters just aren't believable. Wayne is probably the biggest culprit. It would be better (still not great) if his goofball clown persona was an act, but his internal thoughts are just as clownish. minor the whole "crapper" section - where it seems like Sanderson is just fascinated with the word "crapper" or his constant "trading" and hat obsession. All this means that I have a hard time taking him seriously when he deals with the daughter of the guy he killed. Marasi's half-sister (seris?) is a similar charactature with her plans and lists for every occasion. I cannot believe she is an actual person. She just reads like a very one note joke. If you want to see this sort of juggling act of comedy/drama done well, see The Lies of Locke Lamora

My other big issue is that Sanderson is really bad about subtlety. Whether he's making a good point or a stupid one, he really hits you over the head with it. So while his general effort to make Marasi a competent woman is an admirable choice, particularly in a genre where we have writers like Rothfuss making GBS threads all over female characters, he really lacks any semblance of subtlety in while explaining it. Marasi is always thinking about how while her society is supposed to be egalitarian, women have it a bit harder. This is a good point to make - and if pressed I will take it over having lovely female characters; however, it would be way better if he just wrote the story with these elements and gave his readers enough credit to observe the issues.. The reason you don't make this points overtly is that it isn't entertaining or functional. If you're trying to convince people of something via fiction, you're much better served by setting up your story in such a way that you lead your readers to a conclusion, but they have to take a couple steps to actually get there. Having them feel like they figured something out is a much more powerful method of persuasion than giving a monologue.

The other frequent instance of this is all of the religious bullshit. I'll acknowledge that I think Sanderson's personal religion is dumb as hell - religions look especially dumb they were started after we had reliable records that show their founder was a huckster or that they decided god changed his mind about black people around the same time US policy shifted. But again, if you're going to try to make an argument, be loving subtle if you aren't writing an overt religious argument. I was face-palming around the point where Wax is literally being told that Harmony (god) allows or makes lovely stuff happen to him because he knows Wax can handle it. Why don't you just write your thoughts on god down elsewhere instead of having a character monologue it mid fantasy novel?

So yeah, this is a lot of negative elements for a book that is admittedly not bad, just mediocre. Sanderson really frustrates me a lot more than someone like Rothfus (who is pretty poo poo) because I know he can do way better (again, see: The Emperor's Soul). Instead of improving or reaching for his highs again, it just feels like he's treading water. I get that his output is prodigious, but I'd rather see him write half as much, but write to the higher end of his ability.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The only swearing that I find jolting is in his reckoners books.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I must have missed this part, who did Harmony elevate to mistborn? I haven't read the first mistborn trilogy in awhile but I thought the last was Elend.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Gardenator posted:

The only swearing that I find jolting is in his reckoners books.

I must have missed this part, who did Harmony elevate to mistborn? I haven't read the first mistborn trilogy in awhile but I thought the last was Elend.

spook

Anyway, I think a bigger point that's trying to be made is that sazed really isn't that great about this whole 'being a god' thing, even without external forces trying to kick over his applecart. I mean, he talks big about free will and then spends the entire story trying to mindrape one of his rogue minions, he constantly withholds information which results in negative outcomes, and gets repeatedly outplayed despite the massive advantages he has in power and materiel.

I mean, he's less of a fuckup than Rashek was, but he's still really screwed the pooch on a lot of stuff.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yay, now I can read all the spoilered stuff! :unsmith: Such a good book and a great example of a "In the Middle" book actually being good and not just middling around chasing its own tail.

Regarding God metals, I wonder if we'll be seeing Sazium in this trilogy?