Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can get the new Moto X or the smaller/cheaper Moto X 2014 directly from Motorola with 0% two-year financing, no carrier interaction required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

They have the nexus 5 and 6

Oh! The website's just not showing me any new ones I guess, just pre-owned. Probably not a problem?

Uthor posted:

You can get the new Moto X or the smaller/cheaper Moto X 2014 directly from Motorola with 0% two-year financing, no carrier interaction required.

Thanks for this!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Octatonic posted:

Thanks for this!

I have the 2014. It's nice, love the mostly stock Android and fairly swift updates, but the camera could be way better (especially in low light) and the battery leaves a bit to be desired if you're a heavy user. :/ But it was either that or the huge Nexus 6 from last year.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Octatonic posted:

Oh! The website's just not showing me any new ones I guess, just pre-owned. Probably not a problem?

Thanks for this!

I've ordered a couple of their pre owned devices, and besides the box they looked brand new, so up to you. Warranty is only 90 days though I believe.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Considering grabbing an Xperia Z5 (yay, battery life) and going to T-Mobile. (Republic Wireless is eventually forcing my rear end out anyways)

Where is T-mobile at with regards to VoLTE?

Does T-Mobile have HSPA+ on 1900, or is it still on 1700/2100? Cell phone connections are a bit marginal out near my work, I would hate to have to drop all the way to EDGE because I don't have access to 1700/2100.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Experian hacked so if you went through a credit check for device or service in the last two years, your data is likely compromised.

quote:

The data acquired included names, dates of birth, addresses, and Social Security numbers and/or an alternative form of ID like a drivers' license number, as well as additional information used in T-Mobile's own credit assessment. No payment card or banking information was acquired.

It was encrypted, but the encryption was possibly/likely compromised as well. They are giving two frees of year credit monitoring.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Experian hacked so if you went through a credit check for device or service in the last two years, your data is likely compromised.

It was encrypted, but the encryption was possibly/likely compromised as well. They are giving two frees of year credit monitoring.

I love that the company that was hacked is also going to monitor my credit. I know that T-Mobile is coming up with another company to provide credit monitoring but this isn't just my credit card that was hacked it was my name, age, social security number, address. All the things that you will need to file for more credit in my name after the 2 years are up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a web way to change/port-in a new number to my t-mo plan without calling support?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm currently on my parent's plan with Verizon, and want to switch to an individual line with T-Mobile, using the 50 dollar Simple Plan. Would I be able to get my early termination fee reimbursed + change my number to a local one rather than my old area code, or not? I'm pretty willing to pay ETF just so I can get a local number and my own plan.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 3, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any way to completely get T-Mobile to gently caress off with all the messages?

I've gotten nearly 15 messages in a week. I've already turned off the bill notification and such, I just don't want to hear a word from them about anything whatsoever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm on prepaid, but when I log in and go to my profile, there's a second on the right hand side called "Marketing communication preferences". You can opt out of things there.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone actually experienced the high bandwidth (>22GB) throttling/de-prioritization that T-mobile recently introduced on their unlimited data plans? How were the speeds?

I've been hitting my 10GB data cap on Cricket every month and am considering switching to a T-Mobile Unlimited plan.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any way to completely get T-Mobile to gently caress off with all the messages?

I've gotten nearly 15 messages in a week. I've already turned off the bill notification and such, I just don't want to hear a word from them about anything whatsoever.

Block 456 on your message app?

Certain disclosures are required to be sent. But you're not required to accept them.

tonic posted:

Has anyone actually experienced the high bandwidth (>22GB) throttling/de-prioritization that T-mobile recently introduced on their unlimited data plans? How were the speeds?

I've been hitting my 10GB data cap on Cricket every month and am considering switching to a T-Mobile Unlimited plan.

Terrible. But they only come into play when you're over 21GB, and on a tower that is overloaded at the time that you're trying to use it. And it's per billing cycle.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tonic posted:

I've been hitting my 10GB data cap on Cricket every month

Jesus Christ, what are you doing with your phone? Do you steam netflix over data or something?

No judgement, I'm honestly curious. I've just got the complimentary 1GB on my T-Mobile plan and I don't even hit that some months.

So anyway I got turned down for T-Mobile :( One of the stores I applied to, the manager said that I was "a really good candidate", just that there was only one spot and somebody else applied with more (any) sales experience. She said to try again in a couple months. I guess I shall.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It really doesn't take much YouTube/Netflix/CR/Twitch/etc to hit 1GB. Even audio episodes of a podcast can be 100+ megs each.

720p YouTube is roughly 0.4MB/sec. So 24MB/minute means you only need 42 minutes of 720p YouTube to hit your 1GB cap.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 5, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

Jesus Christ, what are you doing with your phone? Do you steam netflix over data or something?

No judgement, I'm honestly curious. I've just got the complimentary 1GB on my T-Mobile plan and I don't even hit that some months.

So anyway I got turned down for T-Mobile :( One of the stores I applied to, the manager said that I was "a really good candidate", just that there was only one spot and somebody else applied with more (any) sales experience. She said to try again in a couple months. I guess I shall.

So apply to other companies in the meantime? Or apply at a dealer so you get that experience?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Is there any definitive word on if/how T-Mobile will offer the Nexus 5x/6p? I've been to the stores by my work and home, and no one at either seems to know anything.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tatsujin posted:

Is there any definitive word on if/how T-Mobile will offer the Nexus 5x/6p? I've been to the stores by my work and home, and no one at either seems to know anything.

The answer is they will not offer them. You have to buy direct from Google.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

Buy from Google, insert SIM.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Looking for suggestions. Wife and I are looking to get on T-Mobile's "10 gigs for all" promo (10 gigs per line, minimum of 2 lines, $100/mo). I'm off contract on AT&T with an iPhone 5s. She's on contract for another 2 weeks with Verizon. Her 5s would cost $120 to buy out according to web chat.

We'd like to do that Jump on Demand iPhone deal with a trade in of our 5s's. Does anyone have any clue how long these 2 promos will last? I'd rather wait the 2 weeks and not give Verizon anymore money, but saving $800 over 2 years is the higher priority.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Im sure it will last a while longer.

Also sign up for new contracts and get the most valuable phone they offer. Then have tmobile pay your ETF and trade in some poo poo phones.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Im sure it will last a while longer.

Also sign up for new contracts and get the most valuable phone they offer. Then have tmobile pay your ETF and trade in some poo poo phones.

Could you explain this a little? I've been on Sprint forever and have an HTC M8 with no contract - I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile and getting a Nexus 6P (which looks like it will be compatible with TMobile, but likely not sold directly by them).

I want to get get that 10gb/2 line deal too (wife will want a new iphone to replace her cracked-screen 5S).

Am I best off upgrading (1 or 2 phones) via Sprint now and then getting TMobile to pay off my ETF/device fees? And then trade in 2 crappy phones to TMobile? And then sell whatever I "upgrade" to from Sprint and use that to buy a Nexus 6P?
:confused:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iluvpr0n posted:

Could you explain this a little? I've been on Sprint forever and have an HTC M8 with no contract - I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile and getting a Nexus 6P (which looks like it will be compatible with TMobile, but likely not sold directly by them).

I want to get get that 10gb/2 line deal too (wife will want a new iphone to replace her cracked-screen 5S).

Am I best off upgrading (1 or 2 phones) via Sprint now and then getting TMobile to pay off my ETF/device fees? And then trade in 2 crappy phones to TMobile? And then sell whatever I "upgrade" to from Sprint and use that to buy a Nexus 6P?
:confused:

The trade-in and ETF stuff only works if you're buying a new phone from T-mobile.

barracks haircut
Jun 2, 2010
Has anyone had luck with T-Mobile 'Certified Pre-Owned" phones? I'm upgrading from a basic phone on the old 1500 talk/text prepaid plan. I bought it for $20 at Target in '12 so anything is an upgrade.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

barracks haircut posted:

Has anyone had luck with T-Mobile 'Certified Pre-Owned" phones? I'm upgrading from a basic phone on the old 1500 talk/text prepaid plan. I bought it for $20 at Target in '12 so anything is an upgrade.

I've purchased a few for my parents. They looked and acted brand new. My dad has been using his LG G3 heavily for a year now with no issues at all. My mom is a light user of her xperia zip for about 6 months with no issues either. So as long as you are OK with a much shorter warranty, I believe 3 months, they are a good value

barracks haircut
Jun 2, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I've purchased a few for my parents. They looked and acted brand new. My dad has been using his LG G3 heavily for a year now with no issues at all. My mom is a light user of her xperia zip for about 6 months with no issues either. So as long as you are OK with a much shorter warranty, I believe 3 months, they are a good value

Right on, thanks. Is there any reason the selection of used phones is different on the prepaid side of T-mobile's site versus the postpaid side?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

barracks haircut posted:

Right on, thanks. Is there any reason the selection of used phones is different on the prepaid side of T-mobile's site versus the postpaid side?

Not sure why they would do that. When I broke my last phone I just went to the store and bought a prepaid one and put my sim in no problem. All their phones will work on pre or post pay

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Can I just buy the asus wifi router from T-Mobile? I don't wanna lease it or whatever I just want to give them cash with no runaround. I went into a store over the weekend and the tweens there tried to sell me on new phones (I just bought 4 new phones three months ago) and then said they can only give me the other cell spot booster.

I have two phones that use wifi calling, the area is pretty much between two cell towers, we have high speed internet, just really need a new router.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Audax posted:

Can I just buy the asus wifi router from T-Mobile? I don't wanna lease it or whatever I just want to give them cash with no runaround. I went into a store over the weekend and the tweens there tried to sell me on new phones (I just bought 4 new phones three months ago) and then said they can only give me the other cell spot booster.

I have two phones that use wifi calling, the area is pretty much between two cell towers, we have high speed internet, just really need a new router.

You don't lease it-- you give them $25, and it's yours as long as you are a t-mobile customer. If you stop being one, you give it back. I guess that's a "lease" but its a $0 one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

You don't lease it-- you give them $25, and it's yours as long as you are a t-mobile customer. If you stop being one, you give it back. I guess that's a "lease" but its a $0 one.

I don't think they charged me the $25 and they shipped it over night even though I paid for the slowest cheapest shipping over the phone. I told them there were spots in my house with no wifi or cell signal. The non return fee is huge though but they will probably forget about these in 5 years anyway and not ask for them back.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
The non-return fee is only $100. If they quoted you $280, that's for the actual signal boosters, not the router.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
http://explore.t-mobile.com/samsung-phone-and-free-tablet-offer?cmpid=SOC_SM_SMSNGGS60D_2DR1V19HKTK12825&003=6642122

So T-mobile has this deal right now. Turn in my older Galaxy S5 for an S6 and a Tablet? Anyone know the details? Like will it matter if my GS5 is rooted?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 23, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

E2M2 posted:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/samsung-phone-and-free-tablet-offer?cmpid=SOC_SM_SMSNGGS60D_2DR1V19HKTK12825&003=6642122

So T-mobile has this deal right now. Turn in my older Galaxy S5 for an S6 and a Tablet? Anyone know the details? Like will it matter if my GS5 is rooted?

You may have to pay after 18m to keep it but yea. It's legit.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Don Lapre posted:

You may have to pay after 18m to keep it but yea. It's legit.

Yep, just did the deed. Paid what I owed on my S5, about $75. And $40 or so upfront. Walked out with a S6 and Tab A. Will have to pay for the Tab A's data for 2 years, and $150 or so at the end of the 18 months with the S6.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

How much extra is the data for the Tab A per month?

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
If I have an iPhone 6 that I still owe $300 on through Jump (not Jump on Demand) will this work, or do I have to pay off the $300 first?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You have to pay of the phone

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I change my tmobile plan to one of these simple choice plans for the international data roaming, am i going to be able to switch back to my $30 100minutes/unlimited data plan afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I change my tmobile plan to one of these simple choice plans for the international data roaming, am i going to be able to switch back to my $30 100minutes/unlimited data plan afterwards?
Nope.