Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ddraig posted:

I know how you feel. I'm a stickler for details like that, which is probably why I get so little actually done :/

Think I'm going to make a new update for the COC mod with a bit more love for the Monolith. Thinking of maybe direct orders from the Monolith beamed into your head? You receive a task to either kill a stalker or take over a territory that comes directly to you from the Monolith, so you always have something to do.

Maybe the rewards could be the location of a random stash for each successful mission?

That's a super awesome idea.

So far I've remedied my insane love of details by setting the duty and military bulat suits to use the SEVA suit hands, which are pretty spot on for the duty suit, but I'd like to do a camo sleeves version for the military one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have a few other little ideas for what to include in the Monolith loving. I need a nice icon, but I'd like to include an "ultimate sacrifice" item. Quest item, with no weight. When you use it you pull the pin out of an grenade you've got in your inventory and kill yourself and anyone around you.

Also going to give the Monolith slightly different outcomes from asking their God for a wish. It's a vengeful, angry God.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Didn't Arsenal Overhaul have correct gloves for every suit? Once E.nigma ports it over, this is going to be the greatest STALKER thing ever.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
From a few pages back people were talking about quests and all that, would making even just regular dudes giving quests be all that hard to implement? Barman used to give out all sorts of stuff, and now Sid just want's you to be Agent 47 all the time (gently caress darkscape missions, no amount of money is worth running that far)

Wacky/grimdark quests that fit into the Zone would be cool as well, someone mentioned "find the sausage maker" and it's gotta be out at the pig farm or somewhere with a big industrial hopper. With a lot of armed guards....TOO many for a simple sausage operation. And the really sketchy guy running it who manages to makes Sultan look on the up and up really likes if you can bring him field dressed meat of any sort (pays 10x more than any other vendor), along with antirad/vodka for curing/sanitizing the meats. And if you make a new "friend" and have him tag along to the factory...you get a sweet bonus! :unsmigghh::hf::black101:

Or framing people/factions for murder by planting weapons on dead bodies to incite outright hostility that otherwise wouldn't happen. Like putting a certain sawn-off on a squad leader's body for his faction to find to make them think Bandits did the job, causing them to make a rushed assault on a bandit position while your faction can take advantage of the situation.

"The cache" where the location of a huge cache of artifacts was leaked over the local comm channels and you have everyone rocking up to kill each other for it but the cache was already looted and everyone dies for nothing. The guy who looted it first and "leaked" it flaunted his wealth too soon and was found out, rumor has it the locals threw him naked into a nest of bloodsuckers with a Makarov

Basically, go here, kill these people, bring item is boring :smith:

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 12, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

NeoSeeker posted:

1. Make it ambiguous where they are ACTUALLY coming from. As in there's a lore chance that it's just a mass delusion shared by all members of monolith instead of an actual psychic transmission from the monolith itself.

2. Make it so as soon as you recieve the order, other NPCs of the same faction (monolith) do as well. This way you'd achieve something eerie like when animals migrate to the exact same spot and humans have no clue as to why or how.

This deserves more love actually.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Ddraig posted:

More changes from COC repo:
* Sultan now at Dark Valley Bandit base. Requires NEW GAME START.

Sounds awesome, good job pulling this stuff out. Where it says "requires new game start", does that mean only for the Sultan/Bandit change? Do you know if I can I theoretically continue my save game where I left off otherwise?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

baromodo posted:

Sounds awesome, good job pulling this stuff out. Where it says "requires new game start", does that mean only for the Sultan/Bandit change? Do you know if I can I theoretically continue my save game where I left off otherwise?

I have no idea, to be honest. The level.ai for the Dark Valley has changed so there might be issues there, so I'd suggest avoiding that area for this playthrough.

Someone else asked this before and I couldn't really give a straight answer there either. X-Ray is rather picky about what will or won't cause issues when you mod it and don't start a new game.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Oh and I keep running around with the arsenal overhaul mod knife and it's fairly effective. Please someone implement knife throwing. Instead of the knifes sticking out of the target (which would be cool *wink wink*) you could just transfer them to the inventory of the person you hit.

I know in practice knife throwing is unrealistic and plain stupid, but in video games it's completely badass. gently caress metro, STALKER is just the best warsaw pact gasmask fetish game there is right now. And the marked one is a badass, you know he could throw a knife through a bulletproof faceplate.

Also I just realized something I've never seen before is a command to a squad to loot an area then deposit it all in a stash pack.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's a COC pro tip. As far as I'm aware hardly anyone, not even the Russians, know about this yet.

By default, the alife simulation in COC is limited. If you've spent any amount of time with the debug hud, you may notice that certain smart_terrains are "deactivated"

This is because, by default, the alife simulation is only run on the level you're on and any levels that connect to it. So if you're in the darkscape, alife will update there, in the Cordon and in the Garbage.

Most people won't notice this.

However, you can disable this 'feature' with a very simple binary change:

Open _g.script (in the gamedata/scripts folder)

At the top there's a variable "DEACTIVATE_SIM_ON_NON_LINKED_LEVELS"

Set this from true to false. Now the alife simulation will be run on every single level, from the Cordon right up to the Generators. This means that potentially you could have a badass Monolith squad that eventually makes its way down from Limansk/Pripyat or whatever all the way down to the Cordon on its own.

It's disabled by default because, to quote Alundaio:

"This is done to alleviate the performance issues with having hundreds of active squads and smart terrain updates"

Try at your own risk, I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Here's a COC pro tip. As far as I'm aware hardly anyone, not even the Russians, know about this yet.

By default, the alife simulation in COC is limited. If you've spent any amount of time with the debug hud, you may notice that certain smart_terrains are "deactivated"

This is because, by default, the alife simulation is only run on the level you're on and any levels that connect to it. So if you're in the darkscape, alife will update there, in the Cordon and in the Garbage.

Most people won't notice this.

However, you can disable this 'feature' with a very simple binary change:

Open _g.script (in the gamedata/scripts folder)

At the top there's a variable "DEACTIVATE_SIM_ON_NON_LINKED_LEVELS"

Set this from true to false. Now the alife simulation will be run on every single level, from the Cordon right up to the Generators. This means that potentially you could have a badass Monolith squad that eventually makes its way down from Limansk/Pripyat or whatever all the way down to the Cordon on its own.

It's disabled by default because, to quote Alundaio:

"This is done to alleviate the performance issues with having hundreds of active squads and smart terrain updates"

Try at your own risk, I guess.

Isn't one of the big features of AMK that it does basically this? Because that's a very limiting factor of the whole faction war functionality. I guess I'll try it out and see what happens, I was hoping that this was possible.

e: Yeah, I'm not seeing a big impact here on a 4670k. I guess it's disabled for potatoes. There's some initial stuttering for a few seconds when the entire game world is populated, and then it's fine after that.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
AMK's version is actually contained in a single script. It's all done with scripted magic, I believe. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but as I recall it basically catalogs every single object in the Zone, splits them up into mutants, stalkers and lootable containers and basically runs basic "simulations" between them. I can't remember if it's when they would encounter each other in an offline scenario, or if it forces the situation somewhat, but the end result is that offline stalkers would be marked dead, or given extra loot, based on the outcomes of those simulation. When you encounter them (they're online) they'd either be dead, in a certain location, or have extra gear given to them, and this combined with the "news" function that printed the result of those outcomes, and you filling in the gaps yourself, gave the illusion of a very complicated thing going on.

I guess I might have ruined a bit of the magic, but very few mods have actually managed to that. I don't really think COC even does it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

AMK's version is actually contained in a single script. It's all done with scripted magic, I believe. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but as I recall it basically catalogs every single object in the Zone, splits them up into mutants, stalkers and lootable containers and basically runs basic "simulations" between them. I can't remember if it's when they would encounter each other in an offline scenario, or if it forces the situation somewhat, but the end result is that offline stalkers would be marked dead, or given extra loot, based on the outcomes of those simulation. When you encounter them (they're online) they'd either be dead, in a certain location, or have extra gear given to them, and this combined with the "news" function that printed the result of those outcomes, and you filling in the gaps yourself, gave the illusion of a very complicated thing going on.

I guess I might have ruined a bit of the magic, but very few mods have actually managed to that. I don't really think COC even does it.

That's pretty much what other large scale games like the X franchise do. They're split into in system, 3D space with complicated physics and collision, and out of system space where it's basically just a spreadsheet. That's fine and it works pretty well.

After loving around with it some more, it seems like turning on all map simulation is giving me a few seconds of stuttering on save/load and zone transitions, so just any time the world re-initializes. That's fine for me, and is especially worth it to make the faction war type stuff as good as it can be. It's more or less no worse than a few seconds of what CoP was like at release for me.

I just pray to god the faction controlled spawns are actually working. I still don't think that I've seen it happen yet.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Have fun disabling the Brain Scorcher with Ddraig's 2.0 changes. After seeing what's outside, I really do not want to go in.

vvvvv: IT CHASES YOU what is going on here.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Now you've got me curious. I don't know of what you speak, so it must be something in the original Alife before it got nerfed.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I still don't think I installed the alife changes right :saddowns:

I put the gamedata folder in the .7z into the folder i had call of chernobyl installed in. I installed it to the same directory as call of pripyat if that's what the deal is :saddowns:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Started a new game as an ecologist with Ddraig's 2.0 (not the alife one, no thanks) and I'm suddenly swimming in PKMs and revolver shotguns and stuff thanks to the zombies. I don't remember them being so well armed.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Who buys PDAs and Mutant body parts?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Now you've got me curious. I don't know of what you speak, so it must be something in the original Alife before it got nerfed.

It's a moving black cloud with something that looks like a pyrogeist at the head of it, but it didn't show red crosshairs so I assumed it was a reskinned mobile burner. Except it [b]chases you[/]. It was inside the compound above X-16 and I know it wasn't in SoC; I don't remember it being there in the original CoC release, Clear Sky, or anywhere else in STALKER but there it was.

Thankfully X-16 is still mercifully empty.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Started a new game as an ecologist with Ddraig's 2.0 (not the alife one, no thanks) and I'm suddenly swimming in PKMs and revolver shotguns and stuff thanks to the zombies. I don't remember them being so well armed.

The ones with PKMs and SiGs will instagib you in a SEVA with +10% armour so good luck and have fun.

NeoSeeker posted:

Who buys PDAs and Mutant body parts?
I'm curious about the PDAs myself, but Sakharov buys mutant parts. Beware, he pays far below CoP prices on them but I suppose if you're selling bulk and needed to stop by Yantar anyway it isn't a terribly bad idea. I think weight/value ratio still favors looting every bit of ammo you can, not that Sakharov will buy it.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Minarchist posted:

I still don't think I installed the alife changes right :saddowns:

I put the gamedata folder in the .7z into the folder i had call of chernobyl installed in. I installed it to the same directory as call of pripyat if that's what the deal is :saddowns:

Call of Chernobyl is a standalone. The only reason it 'requires' COP at all is to make sure you've got a legit copy. So you don't need to install it to COP's directory, and I'd recommend against doing it, since it can cause huge problems.

I've got COC installed to C:\COC\

Owl buys PDAs, Sakharov buys mutant parts.

e: actually checking the files, Owl isn't the only one who buys PDAs. The mechanic in the Dark Valley base buys them, as does the "Zoneguard" in the Bar (can't remember who this is, definitely a Duty dude, though), the Clear Sky trader buys them aswell.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 12, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

What do red smart terrains indicate? I'm starting to get into CoP maps and those are showing up quite a bit in random places.

Ddraig posted:

(can't remember who this is, definitely a Duty dude, though),

It's the GET OUT OF HERE STALKER guy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think red smart terrains are ones that are set up to be bases.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

I think red smart terrains are ones that are set up to be bases.

That doesn't quite add up, some bases are green while some random rear end spots on the CoP maps are red. They seem like they may be tied to the game's plot, but who knows.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

When you tell your squadmates to loot the dead and pick up equipment do they just give it to you or do you have to trade with them? Also is there a way I can "open up" squadmate's inventory and give them different weapons and such?

As many cool and awesome out-there ideas we have, there's so much basic poo poo we'd need to focus on first. Also if you need testers D it's the best way I can contribute aside from simple yet mind numbing and arduous coding tasks. That and debugging, although I'd have to fully learn how to do that with this engine.

This game is now about making the zone your bitch and I love it.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 13, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I feel like the faction war AI would go much further if it prioritized proximity more. At the start of the game, with the current spawns I'm using, Clear Sky controls the bottom third or so of the Great Swamp and has about three active squads. One of them is occupying territory in the swamp, the other two are loving off to secure a route to the NPP. Like, that's great and all, but their values for the swamp are way higher than any of the ones near the heart of the zone, yet away they go.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
I think there might be a flaw in the logic to do with the base in the Army Warehouses and the safe zone in Jupiter regarding Freedom's faction standing. I recall in one of the first two games (the second I think) that the Army Warehouses base had friendlies in it (Freedom?), and in the other (SoC?) it had hostiles in it. In CoC, it seems that it is populated with the friendlies but they are still hostile - but only there. I went in there and had to kill all the Freedom guys who were inexplicably hostile to me (I was Ecologist, so friendly). This resulted in me later getting into firefights with the resident Freedom people at the safe zone in Jupiter whenever I walked through the door, which wasn't pleasant.

Is this a bug, or some other mechanic I haven't figure out?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
In SoC it's held by Freedom, who are friendly to Loners; in CS, it starts in the hands of a very hostile Military squad.

There may be a bug in faction relations - in my first CoC game as a Merc, the Ecologists were completely fine with me and IIRC Ecos and Mercs are supposed to hostile.

I was also in Agroprom and watched three Loners walk up and try to pop a group of Mercs next to me while everyone saw me as friendly so I'm not entirely certain.

Such is life in the Zone.

Also: Fully dynamic DX11 is restricted to 800x400 and two other very odd resolutions, even when manually editing in user.ltx it does not like to work properly, especially with scopes. I had to dial back to Object lighting with the rest maxed, terrible mod, 0/10, would not download the hard work of others and play for free again.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Did a new game as a bandit and there's no sign of Sultan in his bathroom kingdom :(

Edit: Never mind, turns out I didn't have the mod fully installed for some reason.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Vorenus posted:

There may be a bug in faction relations - in my first CoC game as a Merc, the Ecologists were completely fine with me and IIRC Ecos and Mercs are supposed to hostile.

Isn't there some Ecologist base in one of the games that has Mercs surrounding it as guards?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I seem to be getting a constant issue with simulation.ltx not actually spawning all, or even most of the stalker squads specified within it. Anyone know what's up with that? I seem to be having some issues with spawning overall.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Dvsilverwing posted:

Isn't there some Ecologist base in one of the games that has Mercs surrounding it as guards?

In CoP yeah, but they're really just there to spy on the scientists and kill them if necessary

In SoC (and CS?) they're hostile to anyone trying to find out more about the Zone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In SoC's original plot, that was cut, the Mercenaries were actively hunting Strelok. There's a segment where, when you go to meet Doctor you don't find him in Agroprom, you run right into a Mercenary trap and they cart you off to the Dead City, presumably to be executed

There's sort of a nod to this in COP. The UAV is tracking Strelok, with the implication it's being funded by whoever's funding the mercs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Idk why the mercs are hostile to clear sky, given that scar from CS was a merc who they had hired.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
And we never did find out who was funding the Mercs did we? I assume it led back to C-Con or something.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Most likely candidates are either the US or Germany.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, Ddraig, for whatever reason I'm not noticing any differences with simulation.ltx. From what I understand that determines what squads exist when an area is loaded for the first time, but even with a fresh install of CoC + your mod 2.0 and the appropriate alife files nothing pops up. I'm only getting the spawns tied to smart terrains.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
fill_start_position is only called on a new game start. It's tied to an on_register callback for the actor, which is called once you start a new game, I believe.

So any changes to the start positions in simulation.ltx will only go into effect when you start a new game.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm really digging these emissions. Before no matter what mod they'd be a bother. Now I run to cover wondering what kind of emission it will be and if there's going to be a window. Especially with all the lighting effects up. All the god rays colliding because the sky spawned 2 extra suns for 10 minutes. The shadows and everything are pitch perfect. It doesn't even need the view filter, it's weird enough for lightning to strike in 3 different places at once casting 3 sets of pitch shadows and piercing light in every direction.

They're drat GOOD. Like it takes a total tonal shift of the macabre dullness that the zone typically has and the sky drops a gallon of LSD.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 13, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

fill_start_position is only called on a new game start. It's tied to an on_register callback for the actor, which is called once you start a new game, I believe.

So any changes to the start positions in simulation.ltx will only go into effect when you start a new game.

Yeah, I've been starting a new game each time and I'm still not seeing any squads spawning. The mutants seem to do just fine, though.

e: Apparently the simulation.ltx is actually working. Sort of. It just doesn't spawn every single squad it's supposed to, and the ones it does spawn seem to be random, but the same random squads every time.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 13, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So if I installed CoC over my CoP directory, should I uninstall and reinstall both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Azran posted:

So if I installed CoC over my CoP directory, should I uninstall and reinstall both?

Yup. CoC is stand alone and won't work right in the CoP directory.