Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you have WSUS you don't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah your IT department is loving up.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Why aren't you connected to a domain? The update doesn't run if you are.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.

Yeah your IT dept is crappy where I work no one has even been prompted to update to Windows 10. We don't even have a windows update server just on a windows domain.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Something something. . "you provide an updated copy of Windows 7 (or 8), we will provide the work software (Libre Office)".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Still having the whole "Setup failed to start, reboot and try again" error, despite installing all updates, rebooting repeatedly, etc. Any advice?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just updated my HP Stream 7 and it works super!

Question - how do I disable Windows 10 requiring a password while it's plugged in to charge/after it's plugged in to charge?

I already disabled the password screen after it wakes from sleep, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the password requirement after it's been charging.

Do I need to use a Local account and not a Live account?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crotch Fruit posted:

WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.

I swear Windows Update has been un-hiding updates I've hidden many times in Windows 7. It's why I don't have automatic update on, and I read the KB articles on anything that isn't a security update (or even those when I feel like it).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

WillieWestwood posted:

Anyone have a quick fix for this? Several buttons on my taskbar have stopped working since the latest Win 10 update:
Start Button
Cortana/Search
Network Status
Volume Control
Notifications
Regular clicking is useless, and right-clicking only works on two or three of these five.

WillieWestwood posted:

Sounds right, and reboot... worked once, but the problem occurred again and subsequent reboots fixed nothing. See...

Also, unless MS hasn't really officially released Windows 10, I'm running Win 10 Pro, which doesn't show a build number.

WillieWestwood posted:

Version 10.0, Build 10240

last cumulative update was September 9, some small updates up to yesterday.

Well, I got no help with any of this, so I did a little research early this morning. I'm pleased to find that Windows 10 still has system restore points, so I went to the earliest one I have - September 24 - and restored my system to that date. I got the flyouts back, so I went and did the updates after the 24th again, and the flyouts still work. :) So, if you lose your flyouts, try the system restore point before which the flyouts last worked.

Another thing I found is that when the system freezes up, do a Ctrl-Alt-Del. When the system finally responds, just press Esc and continue as before, no need to reboot.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just got my new Win8.1 laptop in the mail today and I'm upgrading to 10 right away. Any reason I should be cautious? The most important thing I'll be doing is running a number of fairly popular scientific programs. (Mathematica, Zemax/CodeV, some sort of Python environment, etc.)

e: The install via update on my new Thinkpad X250 has repeatedly failed giving me error 80240031. I've tried a few different things from turning off all my AV software to updating the BIOS but I don't seem to be having much luck. Anyone else get that? Worst case I'll just go pick up a flash drive for like five bucks tomorrow but it would be nice to not even have to bother with that.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 11, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EugeneJ posted:

Question - how do I disable Windows 10 requiring a password while it's plugged in to charge/after it's plugged in to charge?

I already disabled the password screen after it wakes from sleep, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the password requirement after it's been charging.

Do I need to use a Local account and not a Live account?

Yes, or switch to a pin which is a bit less annoying

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Holy gently caress that 3035583 is persistent. I finally turned off automatic updates because of that poo poo gets installed to my 8.1 Pro repeatedly. Rip timely security updates I guess? Why on earth MS has to act like a huge sack of dicks and force-feed newer versions? I want the old MS back when you could upgrade when you deemed the next Windows ready for everyday use. This new lovely attitude just makes me want to skip Windows 10 altogether.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 11, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is there a way to limit the max size of a folder in win10? I'm thinking of limiting a downloads folder to 50GB or something, so it doesn't max out my SB's 256GB when I forget to watch TV shows update my linux ISOs for a while.

You could enable quota management on your harddrive (Properties for the drive in File Explorer) which lets you set disk-space usage limits per user.
However you can't set it on folders, only on disk volumes, instead you can only limit it per user. So you'd have to run your downloads in a separate user account.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ihmemies posted:

Holy gently caress that 3035583 is persistent. I finally turned off automatic updates because of that poo poo gets installed to my 8.1 Pro repeatedly. Rip timely security updates I guess? Why on earth MS has to act like a huge sack of dicks and force-feed newer versions? I want the old MS back when you could upgrade when you deemed the next Windows ready for everyday use. This new lovely attitude just makes me want to skip Windows 10 altogether.

I hide it repeatedly and still keeps coming back almost each time I run update.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Now that there's a hybrid tablet/laptop in this house (Asus T200TA, 4gb/32gb) I'm starting to see the beauty in this hybrid OS thing.

Is there any way to teach Cortana commands that do something specific, e.g. if I say "Hey Cortana, turn the bedroom light off" it would make a JSON call to http://192.168.1.2:8084/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=99&switchcmd=Off (also need to figure out how to make Android do the same thing)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lum posted:

Is there any way to teach Cortana commands that do something specific, e.g. if I say "Hey Cortana, turn the bedroom light off" it would make a JSON call to http://192.168.1.2:8084/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=99&switchcmd=Off (also need to figure out how to make Android do the same thing)

Yes but you need an app to provide the commands and logic.
For simple things like that it should be easy to just throw something together in Visual Studio Express, at least if the demos I've viewed from Build conferences are to be trusted.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

You have a 16GB/32GB primary drive size device and were able to upgrade to Win10? How much space is available to the user? Microsoft does some special things to shoehorn 8.1 in to that space so I had assumed those limited size devices wouldn't be eligible for the 10 upgrade. I guess I assumed wrong? :confused:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

You have a 16GB/32GB primary drive size device and were able to upgrade to Win10? How much space is available to the user? Microsoft does some special things to shoehorn 8.1 in to that space so I had assumed those limited size devices wouldn't be eligible for the 10 upgrade. I guess I assumed wrong? :confused:

Can't remember, think I had over 20gb free. I did clean install and get rid of Acer's recovery partition and bloatware. Actually getting it to upgrade required an external drive for temp files.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh ok so this wasn't some "mash button, walk away, come back later to win 10 login screen"type deal, additional effort was required.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

I think after the upgrade there's like 6-7GB free. Didn't need to do anything special, just downloaded the update and left it alone for an hour.

Battery life is waaaaaaaay the hell better now. It no longer drains while in sleep mode like it did with 8.1

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is Secunia PSI busted in Windows 10 or is it just my machine? It can't seem to detect secure versions/updates of existing programs, resulting in it never performing any updates (because it doesn't know anything is actually out of date).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That program never worked well for me; it would take forever and sometimes not even do anything, and that was on 8.1. PatchMyPC works a lot better.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^^ I'm still using PSI2, because I hated the new UI on 3. Is working fine for me on Win10.

Hadlock posted:

Oh ok so this wasn't some "mash button, walk away, come back later to win 10 login screen"type deal, additional effort was required.

It was and it wasn't.

It does the check and asks for more disk space to be provided right at the start, then the usual choice between upgrade and clean install then walk away and come back a few hours later.

I did have a few issues after doing a clean install. Windows Update provided a broken camera driver and no-version of the drivers on Acer's website would work with it. Most people on the Transformer forums are running 32bit and they found an Acer driver that did work, but my GF's machine is a 4gb 64bit one. I ended up having to install the BayTrail platform drivers for a Lenovo Thinkpad 8 (or something like that) to get the bloody thing working.

That said when it was an upgrade install the camera and everything worked fine afterwards. I just had to be an awkward sod and flatten and reinstall didn't I? (Well who wouldn't when it's a brand new machine)

As an aside the "Grab and drag" extension for Firefox makes it pretty good for touchscreen use. Now I just need to find a way to make Steam play nice with a touchscreen, and certain games that have weird mouse handling.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Build 10565 is out for fast track Insiders.

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Important feature for this build:

quote:

Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Modern apps like Mail etc. are back to their white-only icons. Sad day for mankind.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dpbjinc posted:

How long until that feature works its way down to the non-insider builds?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Magnus Praeda posted:

How long until that feature works its way down to the non-insider builds?

The "Threshold 2" update is scheduled for sometime in November.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dpbjinc posted:

gently caress yes, this is awesome.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
loving hell, is there some common sense on display!?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hello Windows 10 thread.

I skipped Windows 8.1 straight to 10 through this new laptop.

What is an App?

Also, is there any way to use Microsoft Security Essentials?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
An App is any program on your PC - can either be a 'Trusted Windows Store App' or a normal 'Desktop app'

MSSE is called Windows Defender now and is built in

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So basically **~~trusted windows store App~~** get installed through a mystery installer and not through the usual installers.

Well, I guess it's safer than otherwise.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

So basically **~~trusted windows store App~~** get installed through a mystery installer and not through the usual installers.

Well, I guess it's safer than otherwise.

Installed by the system, pretty much.
Windows App Model packages (as I think they're supposed to be called) are supposed to be perfectly isolated, so software installed through one can't break things that aren't its own, and when you uninstall it, it's truly gone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nielsm posted:

Installed by the system, pretty much.
Windows App Model packages (as I think they're supposed to be called) are supposed to be perfectly isolated, so software installed through one can't break things that aren't its own, and when you uninstall it, it's truly gone.
Not more dll's?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Not more dll's?

They still exist, but you're supposed to bring your own copy of any that aren't supplied by the system. And definitely don't place your things in system locations.
(You were never supposed to place your own DLLs in system locations.)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Related to app-talk... is there any way to launch a store app from the command line?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I just downloaded the Windows 10 Pro x64 UK English ISO using the media creation tool. It differs in hash and file size compared with the ISO I downloaded of the exact same product on 29th July. Any idea what's been added (today's ISO is 3.28GB; the July ISO is 3.12GB)?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 13, 2015

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System patches would be my guess. Windows 10 installer is supposed to be a bit smart about pre-downloading patches so you don't waste time installing them afterwards. In practice I've had machines both succeed and fail at doing it, so your milage probably will vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's amazing how much more polished 10565 feels with the colored title bars. Much better.