Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Time for your regularly scheduled dose of Sin Toxin.
Is there a reason Sin is there or is the story actually working on an arbitrary Sin Timer.

Sin seems to alternate between destroying places and showing up where Tidus is.

Even as a killer space whale, Jecht still cares about his son's well-being. :3:

DukeofCA posted:

I'll throw my hat into the not knowing it was Sin pile as well. I always took it to be that the moment the Fayth stopped singing was when Sin showed up.

Same here.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You know we hear all this poo poo about Sin Toxin being deadly, but our party has been exposed quite a few times and now they'd might as well be mainlining it.

To be fair, it's got precedent. Final Fantasy IX talks about how the Mist causes abnormalities in the mind, yet you travel through it the whole game without issue.

Onmi posted:

Jecht was the worst father when he last saw his son as a human so now he's trying to make up for it. Of course now Jecht is a giant space whale harbinger of all destruction and every time he takes Tidus to see a ball game and their team is losing he gets mad and annihilates the entire stadium, killing everyone.

Also now we know why the Blitzball Stadium is never attacked by Sin. none of the teams are good enough for Jecht to get any enjoyment watching it.

This sounds plausible enough to be canon. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You know we hear all this poo poo about Sin Toxin being deadly, but our party has been exposed quite a few times and now they'd might as well be mainlining it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Jecht was the worst father when he last saw his son as a human so now he's trying to make up for it. Of course now Jecht is a giant space whale harbinger of all destruction and every time he takes Tidus to see a ball game and their team is losing he gets mad and annihilates the entire stadium, killing everyone.

Also now we know why the Blitzball Stadium is never attacked by Sin. none of the teams are good enough for Jecht to get any enjoyment watching it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Now I'm imagining Jecht as one of those dads that's gets really, really invested in his son's preteen hockey games. It would be an ugly sight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The Dark Id posted:

Also again, I am had just done a face plant from... look, I never was much of a numbers guy except blitzball points so... it was pretty high!

"Huh...? Hey! Are you saying I'll never be like Rikku! Kimahri!"

Noticed some typos in the update.

Also, I'm pretty sure Auron's at, like, -12 fucks at this point.

The Dark Id posted:

”His was WAY more slurred and off tune and half the time it would sort of devolve into that one pop song that was always on the radio. You know the one with whatsherface Lana or Ren or something. Gag!”

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This game likes to use world building tools to help explain how/why things work which is nice, but then forget about them in an hour.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fabulousvillain posted:

This game likes to use world building tools to help explain how/why things work which is nice, but then forget about them in an hour.

In this case, no.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alternatively there is no Sin Toxin and people have those symptoms because of other reasons (brain damage due to oxygen starvation, concussions from getting whipped about in water etc.) since it's pretty much dropped by now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So. We're at the base of Macalenia temple. We're on Sin's head, too, which means Macalenia temple is on Sin's head? Sin, who is swimming underwater, while the group isn't? And there seems to be no ice in the water Sin's swimming in.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nihilarian posted:

So. We're at the base of Macalenia temple. We're on Sin's head, too, which means Macalenia temple is on Sin's head? Sin, who is swimming underwater, while the group isn't? And there seems to be no ice in the water Sin's swimming in.

We fell into the lake, Sin caught us because he's such a good dad. He was listening to the hymn of the fayth, when the fayth stopped singing, Sin decided to depart with us.

You are now going to be terrified that Sin can SNEAK THIS FAR INLAND WITH NO ONE NOTICING HIM

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Like Onmi said, we're actually far below Macalania temple - it's suspended from the surface of the sheet of ice Wendigo punched a hole in and we fell through. Sin was just chilling out in the water at the bottom listening to the Hymn, with most of his body underwater but a few bits - like what we're standing on, poking above.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
It's always kind of annoyed me that when everyone talks about the story telling problems with this game, they always pick on the voice acting or the writing, when the real problem is really the loving editing. It should not be that hard to tell that the party was on Sin.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The problem is the scene showing Sin from below, rather than showing the party standing on sin. Its the camera angle causing the issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grandalt posted:

The problem is the scene showing Sin from below, rather than showing the party standing on sin. Its the camera angle causing the issue.

Yeah, count me among those who never realized you were standing on Sin. :suspense:

The real problem with it is they show the underside of the Temple off in the distance, and it looks like one long stretch of ground to it past the ruins.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Onmi posted:

We fell into the lake, Sin caught us because he's such a good dad. He was listening to the hymn of the fayth, when the fayth stopped singing, Sin decided to depart with us.

You are now going to be terrified that Sin can SNEAK THIS FAR INLAND WITH NO ONE NOTICING HIM

Isn't Spira an archipelago and thus there really isn't much inland to sneak into?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Sin is incredibly sneaky for a whale-shaped abomination possessed by a loudmouthed sports star.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

I'm digging this running gag.

Also, throwing self into the pile of "Oh they were standing ON Sin." That cutscene wasn't editted very well...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
We've seen Sin warp gravity around itself, right? Is that supposed to be the explanation for how the party survived the fall, then?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't Spira an archipelago and thus there really isn't much inland to sneak into?

I always got that impression, and it's a small one at that. And it's implied that besides spoiler it's literally the only land on the entire planet.

Hey guys I think water might be a theme in this game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Noticed some typos in the update.

Also, I'm pretty sure Auron's at, like, -12 fucks at this point.

Considering all the poo poo he doubtless had to put up with from Jecht, I think it's closer to minus several thousand.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I always got that impression, and it's a small one at that. And it's implied that besides spoiler it's literally the only land on the entire planet.

Hey guys I think water might be a theme in this game.

Looking at the world map (which I won't post a picture of since there's yet-to-be-visited locations on it), Lake Macalania is a lake with some stretches that reach very close to the ocean (but not all the way to it, otherwise it'd be the Gulf of Macalania instead). The way I see it, there's two possibilities: Sin can move over land a bit, or there's underwater passages large enough for it to get its giant rear end into the lake.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Looking at the world map (which I won't post a picture of since there's yet-to-be-visited locations on it), Lake Macalania is a lake with some stretches that reach very close to the ocean (but not all the way to it, otherwise it'd be the Gulf of Macalania instead). The way I see it, there's two possibilities: Sin can move over land a bit, or there's underwater passages large enough for it to get its giant rear end into the lake.

I get this feeling that Jecht played way too much MGSV before he became everybody's favorite space-whale. Or rather, just enough.

Nth-ing the realization that we were standing on SIn the whole time. The editing is poo poo for explaining this.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Honestly I didn't realize they were standing on the doom whale until I was writing this update and trying to figure out where the hell that shot of Sin was supposed to be in relation to everyone. Final Fantasy X's directing is a bit poo poo.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, just in general its "cinematography" is weak. I forget, was their short-lived movie studio dream destroyed before or after FFX? I think it had to have been something they'd have been working on at the same time? In any case, SE Square sucks at making movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decus posted:

Yeah, just in general its "cinematography" is weak. I forget, was their short-lived movie studio dream destroyed before or after FFX? I think it had to have been something they'd have been working on at the same time? In any case, SE Square sucks at making movies.

Yup, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was so awful that Squeenix's Movie Division died along with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was so awful that Squeenix's Movie Division died along with it.

It wasn't Squeenix yet. That was a direct result of Enix bailing them out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I went to see that piece of poo poo in theaters. :cripes: Even at the tender age of 11 I knew that movie was some serious bullshit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I saw that movie as a rerun on Sci-Fi as a kid and had no idea what I was even looking at. All I remember was a bunch of orange ghost monsters.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's literally what they were. Ghosts haunting a chunk of their destroyed planet that crashed on earth and started killing because ???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I went to see that piece of poo poo in theaters. :cripes: Even at the tender age of 11 I knew that movie was some serious bullshit.

What up, fellow unlucky 90's child :hfive:. I also saw Wing Commander in a theater that was completely empty.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spirits within is the ultimate counter to "They should just make a movie and not a game." The strange thing about the final fantasies? to me. Most of them are actually narratively coherent with overall strong themes, even if the writing can get loony. And theme and tone can make up a tonne for sub par writing. I mean ultimately Final Fantasy 2 is pretty awful and basically just Star Wars but the overall theme of the game, Death, is pretty drat obvious and it's got that oppressive atmosphere down pat. And for the most part FF is good about getting that all together and working it into a narrative. But movies are not like video games no matter how many fancy cutscenes you make.

Kojima would make horrible movies despite the claim, not just because his plots and scripts are bonkers, but because what works in one medium doesn't work in the other. It's why professional film writers who come in to "write a video game and show how it's done" tend to gently caress it up all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

Spirits within is the ultimate counter to "They should just make a movie and not a game." The strange thing about the final fantasies? to me. Most of them are actually narratively coherent with overall strong themes, even if the writing can get loony. And theme and tone can make up a tonne for sub par writing. I mean ultimately Final Fantasy 2 is pretty awful and basically just Star Wars but the overall theme of the game, Death, is pretty drat obvious and it's got that oppressive atmosphere down pat. And for the most part FF is good about getting that all together and working it into a narrative. But movies are not like video games no matter how many fancy cutscenes you make.

Kojima would make horrible movies despite the claim, not just because his plots and scripts are bonkers, but because what works in one medium doesn't work in the other. It's why professional film writers who come in to "write a video game and show how it's done" tend to gently caress it up all the time.

You say that, but FFXIII had its cutscenes made well in advance before someone went "oh hey, we should make some actual gameplay and story to link these together... somehow..."

Hell, Nintendo stunned Monolith when they offered to publish Xenoblade Chronicles by telling them to show a quick gameplay demo instead of fancy cutscenes as the pitch like SE apparently made them do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You say that, but FFXIII had its cutscenes made well in advance before someone went "oh hey, we should make some actual gameplay and story to link these together... somehow..."

Hell, Nintendo stunned Monolith when they offered to publish Xenoblade Chronicles by telling them to show a quick gameplay demo instead of fancy cutscenes as the pitch like SE apparently made them do.

and FFXIII was bloody awful. My point stands.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I liked XIII and XIII-2 :smith: But I'm a shameless completionist min-maxer so open-world stuff without at least a little bit of railroading tends to lead to me spinning in circles unsure of where to go lest I choose a sub-optimal route.

I am aware that this is not so much a problem with the games as it is a problem with me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I liked XIII and XIII-2 :smith: But I'm a shameless completionist min-maxer so open-world stuff without at least a little bit of railroading tends to lead to me spinning in circles unsure of where to go lest I choose a sub-optimal route.

I am aware that this is not so much a problem with the games as it is a problem with me.

Reminder. I know a person who lost to the tutorial goblin fight in FFV. You may have problems, but you're not the Literal Worst at Final Fantasy.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Onmi posted:

Reminder. I know a person who lost to the tutorial goblin fight in FFV. You may have problems, but you're not the Literal Worst at Final Fantasy.

This requires an explanation. Those goblins literally have 1 HP each and you've only got two commands to work with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bufuman posted:

This requires an explanation. Those goblins literally have 1 HP each and you've only got two commands to work with.

She didn't understand the concept of selecting commands from a menu, so she just sat there and died about 5 times before I wandered back over and was just gobsmacked.

She'd successfully played Pokemon before so I didn't understand it.

EDIT: for the record she was about 16 years old at the time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, she didn't even push random buttons to try and figure out what does what? :psyduck:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Onmi posted:

She didn't understand the concept of selecting commands from a menu, so she just sat there and died about 5 times before I wandered back over and was just gobsmacked.

She'd successfully played Pokemon before so I didn't understand it.

EDIT: for the record she was about 16 years old at the time.

"How do I jump?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, she didn't even push random buttons to try and figure out what does what? :psyduck:

Nope, and to be clear this was on GBA so she didn't have many combinations to try out. And again, had beaten Pokemon Fire Red, I thought she could handle it.

I was very wrong.

• Locked thread