Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Least that's all the souls freed. :unsmith: Looks like Ana and Knock are both done for though. :smith:

Alright Sette, do your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flesh Forge posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING IN THIS COMIC :confused:

A boss fight! With a monster literally made out of human misery.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
OK, this is what I think happened:

Page 138:
- Toma jumped on misery-thing and started putting out the eyes of the trapped people
- Duane put his fist in the misery-thing and made a core leech which hurt it? Not sure what he was targeting or what a core leech is.

Page 139:
- The lizard guy tried to slice the core leech off with something? I think he wanted the misery monster to slice it off? I thought the core leech was inside, so I'm not really sure what's going on here.
- The core leech didn't actually fully kill the misery thing and part of the misery thing formed a baby-head tentacle that went after Duane

Page 140:
- For whatever reason Toma is no longer on the misery-monster's head, and now he and Duane are trying to travel back up to the head to poke out the people-eyes
- Poking out the eyes of the people-eyes hurts the misery-monster
- Also lizard-guy is now in the mouth of the misery-monster, somehow

Page 141:
- Golden tendrils start sucking up ghosts
- Knock-Me-Down is running across somewhere to get to Ana, who is trapped in the flesh of the misery-monster
- The head of the brothel owner comes out from nowhere and bites KMD

Page 142:
- Misery monster flesh starts eating KMD
- This is the first time I realized they're on a boat.
- We find out the silver was trapping the ghosts and the golden bits are the khert taking the ghosts back

Page 143:
- More poking out the people-eyes
- Duane thought he saw Mikaela's head in the people-eyes

Page 144:
- silver explosion impales everyone from lizard-guy coming out from nowhere (was he still hiding in the misery-monster's mouth?)
- lizard-guy is trying to control Duane?
- locks are about to explode?

Page 145:
- Bad Heart Guy is told by White Hair Guy to zap Lizard Guy
- Golden khert tendrils are messing up BHG's machine because why not

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Names, technicalities, and universe specific things aside, I think that sounds pretty accurate, and a rather concise summary.

Filling in the blanks:

A core leech basically causes the khert to no longer recognize a material and therefore remove it from existance in order to "clean up" the world of things that should not belong. In this case, Duane is trying to remove the human flesh that is part of the first silver beast.

Lizzard guy is Cutter aka Delicieu formerly of the Red Berry Boys but now unveiling his bigger plans, Black Tongue ties, and hints at his true self. Bad heart guy is Elan Aled, cowardly member of the Crescian Peaceguard. White hair guy is Mathis Quigley, rogue wright mercenary and Alderlode expatriate.

I also have trouble telling how people are getting where they are, nor could I draw a map of where everyone is if I wanted to, but yes, some of them are on a boat. *cue song*

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cutter/Deliceu/Lizard Guy is controlling the flesh monster like it's his child, basically. In the beginning of the fight, he had it draw him into it at the base and move him up to its mouth, like any true boss would have its monster do.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ATP5G1 posted:

- lizard-guy is trying to control Duane?

I'm not sure it's about controlling Duane, I think he's just trying to force Duane to revert to flesh eating zombie mode.

A core leech is what happens when a wright messes with an object to the point that reality rejects it as being impossible and erases it. It's not quite instantaneous, which is why it takes a couple pages for the fleshy parts of the monster to dissolve.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm glad I got the gist. Writing it all out like that clarified to myself that my confusion is in tracking movements from page to page, or even panel to panel. I understand each one individually, but not how the action is going from one to the other.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
After marathoning a backlog that started from all the way back when poo poo first exploded off the boat, I now find it extremely hard to wait till the 28th. :ohdear:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_39.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_40.html

Oh hey, just found this foreshadowing from a little ways back.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

I don't remember those pages at all. Stockyard (and his brothel's aesthetics) make a bunch more sense now.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Sette's flashbacks to those scenes with her Da are so disturbing when you pay attention to the X'd out panels and margins that imply that she's seriously rewriting things to make them happier and upbeat. I assume we'll eventually see him through somebody else's eyes and the extent of what a bastard he is will be pretty appalling. His letters to Stockyard seem likely to not paint a very nice picture either...

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Quinton posted:

Sette's flashbacks to those scenes with her Da are so disturbing when you pay attention to the X'd out panels and margins that imply that she's seriously rewriting things to make them happier and upbeat. I assume we'll eventually see him through somebody else's eyes and the extent of what a bastard he is will be pretty appalling. His letters to Stockyard seem likely to not paint a very nice picture either...

Whoa, I never even noticed the redacted panels, and I usually go over these things with a fine tooth comb =S Nice catch

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

tentacles posted:

Whoa, I never even noticed the redacted panels, and I usually go over these things with a fine tooth comb =S Nice catch

Live in the best world.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Quinton posted:

Sette's flashbacks to those scenes with her Da are so disturbing when you pay attention to the X'd out panels and margins that imply that she's seriously rewriting things to make them happier and upbeat.
I can't believe I never noticed this before.

I always knew Sette was inventing the reality she wanted to live in but wow, nice uncomfortable little touch.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I didn't catch them initially, but somebody mentioned them (not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere) and now that I know they exist, they just leap out at me. And they paint a pretty dark picture beneath Sette's happy-go-lucky, heir to the king-of-thieves proving herself tale.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
One of the earlier chapters has some way darker edited flashbacks, IIRC.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I am missing it, the only thing I see is the hand that's grabbing hair in Chapter 6, pg 40. Are there others on the same page and the previous one?

I do notice her bedroom is apparently in a barn, though.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch02/ch02_17.html

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch04/ch04_05.html

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please adopt Sette when this is all over Duane, thanks in advance.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Uggggh. I noticed that stuff before, but I didn't really want to notice it. Sette's life is pretty poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ashley early on had to pretty flatly say Nary doesn't molest her.

He does apparently however beat the absolute poo poo out of her on semi-regular occasions for some reason, and since she has to fend for herself in terms of earning her keep she tends to get beaten up a lot. The black eye she has in one of the flashbacks is something she got a street fight the day before.

She willingly sleeps in the dog kennel however; Nary lets her and the dogs really like her so they protect her and she can sleep in relative peace.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If Duane doesn't already kill Nary for what his plan with Stockyard was, he sure will when he sees him being rough with Sette.

He might not beat her up, Sette is a rough kid who is bound to be getting into fights, but he definitely does threaten her.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 15, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that she felt safest sleeping in the dog kennel is pretty loving depressing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

If Duane doesn't already kill Nary for what his plan with Stockyard was, he sure will when he sees him being rough with Sette.

He might not beat her up, Sette is a rough kid who is bound to be getting into fights, but he definitely does threaten her.

the Stockyard crew clearly states at some point that Nary's kicking the poo poo out of Sette basically every single day, speculating that that's why she never gets any bigger

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And we're back. Hopefully that's not the only strike she gets in on him; while this has been a very bloody chapter I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more in this particular case.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Starfish is the one character who'd deserve to be on the receiving end of all the crap that has happened in the last several chapters.

Cutter as well, but the weirdo would somehow manage to enjoy it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Cutter at least has the whole revenge of the enslaved and belittled fantasy race thing going for him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Starfish is going to die.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crossin' my fingers on this one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Remind me what all the glass pymarics that just spilled out of Sette's stolen cloak were? I have a vague recollection of her saying they were explosive mining charges or summat. There's certainly a lot of them within arm's reach, and Starfish doesn't seem all that concerned about keeping both her hands secure.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
She has hella boom in that sack.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Starfish is going to die.

I really, really hope so, at least.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

Remind me what all the glass pymarics that just spilled out of Sette's stolen cloak were? I have a vague recollection of her saying they were explosive mining charges or summat. There's certainly a lot of them within arm's reach, and Starfish doesn't seem all that concerned about keeping both her hands secure.

the big magical hand grenades she blew up the jail with

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine those bombs are going to accelerate that water process a tad here soon.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
It's really quite amazing how each page makes me wish that Starfish would die more and more. Here's hoping for booms.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine he knows what those things are. I'm kinda surprised he wasn't a bit more alarmed about the pile of loving bombs scattering across the floor?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I really like Starfish's facial design. In that last panel, if he were any other character I'd be like, "that poor dude's having a bad day," but instead i'm hoping his cock and balls get gangrene and his brain melts out his nose.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Ashley knows how to make anything it's a ridiculously detestable villain.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I just really love this story. I think what I like most about it is how everyone on different "sides" are still people you like and want to see succeed. Ashley's cited one of her influences as Avatar, and that was a great story where there were really lovely people who were villains, but there were also people on both "sides" of the conflict that you ended up loving and hoping for their eventual happiness. Duane, Toma, Mathis, Matty and Jivi ( JIVI :black101: )--they all come from different places and converge and separate and reconverge and their goals are all different and some of them hate the other ones but in the end you want them to come out on top.

While Starfish can get hosed. Also, still hoping Dawn survives.

I feel like Sette remains an enigma and I want to see her triumph, but I don't know what that triumph looks like for her because of her own self-erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

I imagine he knows what those things are. I'm kinda surprised he wasn't a bit more alarmed about the pile of loving bombs scattering across the floor?

I'm not, even if he knows what they are. He's got a track record of entirely unwarranted self-confidence and he was willing to wander casually into a tentacular apocalypse after Sette; I suspect he cannot conceive of a world where such things would have the temerity to inconvenience him.

With any luck he will continue to harbor this misconception until the point when a pair of them are lodged up his nostrils.