Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Chris Judd retired mid season I demand a pick 2 for penance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Malthouse was a poo poo coach, free 2nd pick please.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Andy Carazzo played 6 years with us and is now becoming an umpire. EQUALISATION IZ DED

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is the point here that the team that has won the last 3 premierships, and is well capable of getting a 4th and tying an AFL record, got too much compensation for Buddy? Because that's the conclusion I'm drawing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Remove FA compensation.

Bring in a mini round for a randomly selected amount bottom teams in between the first and second rounds. I'd even be tempted to split the first round and have the mini round after the bottom 12 teams. So in reverse ladder order it'd look like this: 1-12 / (1-6) / 13-18 / Draft continues as normal.

Be willing to hand out priority picks to teams that need it. Though this would be reserved for the most dire of circumstances.

That'd result in better draft equalisation imo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never known an AFL that didn't have GWS and Gold Coast in it, or an AFL in which the grand final was won by a team that was not Hawthorn, ama.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Volkerball posted:

I've never known an AFL that didn't have GWS and Gold Coast in it, or an AFL in which the grand final was won by a team that was not Hawthorn, ama.

How do you keep going

TG-Chrono posted:

Malthouse was a poo poo coach, free 2nd pick please.

Uh that's literally how it has always worked, except this year he has was so extra double bad he got you all the way down to pick 1

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

Uh that's literally how it has always worked, except this year he has was so extra double bad he got you all the way down to pick 1

I'm talking compensation and entitlement in which everyone and everything is worth free picks generated by the venerable pick-god.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ban all trading. If players want to switch clubs they have to quit AFL for a year and play down in the O&M for a season first.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Holy poo poo, the Age is literally reporting bigfooty and AFL fansite rumors in its trade period blog. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-period-2015-day-two-20151012-gk7h5z.html#ixzz3oQ1wwdag

quote:

3:19pm: AFL Fansite Zero Hanger "understands" St Kilda has two backup plans in place if the Jake Carlisle deal falls through: Brisbane's Jordan Bourke and the Bulldogs' Michael Talia.

Zero Hanger understands that St Kilda was looking at recruiting Brisbane defenderJordon Bourke before Jake Carlisle became available and it is entirely possible they will revert back to that plan if they cannot achieve a worthwhile trade with Essendon, who stand to lose their star key position player for nothing.

Take that with a very substantial grain of salt.

quote:

3:08pm: The BigFooty rumour and theory file

During transfer season, AFL forum BigFooty is filled with all sorts of scurrilous rumours and far-fetched trading plans. Here's the best of them from today's forum:

St Kilda has offered Tom Hickey plus pick 24 to Essendon for Jake Carlisle, which has been turned down
Essendon could trade pick 4 to Adelaide for 9 and 13. 13 and Carlisle then go to St Kilda for pick 5.
Gold Coast ruckman Dan Gorringe, who has already indicated he's keen to get out of Gold Coast, would be a perfect fit for several clubs - Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong all thrown up.
SickQuon reckons Carlton boss Brendon Bolton is into Hawthorn's Jed Andersen "in a big way", "from what I've heard".
Brisbane are rumoured to be into Ryan Bastinac at North Melbourne, who might cost them a second-rounder.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Robodog posted:

Ban all trading. If players want to switch clubs they have to quit AFL for a year and play down in the O&M for a season first.

Or play a season at a poo poo team before moving to the team of their choice

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Periphery posted:

Holy poo poo, the Age is literally reporting bigfooty and AFL fansite rumors in its trade period blog. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-period-2015-day-two-20151012-gk7h5z.html#ixzz3oQ1wwdag

Quick, everyone get on Bigfooty and post the most ridiculous rumours you can think of!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenmovement posted:

How do you keep going

some people told me the suns might be good some day

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

You Am I posted:

Or play a season at a poo poo team before moving to the team of their choice

Might actually be the only way Melbourne would ever reach the finals.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's a hair brain thought, why not have the free agent system based on a Waiver Wire fantasy football type deal where the order is based on the reverse ladder.

Sort of like a draft for senior players.

I have been watching a fair bit of The League recently.

EDIT: that's basically what the PSD is

Spedman fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 13, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The AFL just informed the now incandescent Brisbane the compensation for RFA Leuenberger will be band 4, currently pick 39.

Essendon are gonna have to trade for him

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL just informed the now incandescent Brisbane the compensation for RFA Leuenberger will be band 4, currently pick 39.

I thought you were only told the band of compensation after you decide not to match an offer

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought you were only told the band of compensation after you decide not to match an offer

I think the AFL gave up on that, everyone always seems to know in advance anyway. Press are running with it at least.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

In that case maybe west coast should have matched Geelong's offer if Scott Selwood is such a vital part of their team.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Statement from the CEO: http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-10-13/leuey-compo-pick

Brisbane wanted band 3, which would have been pick 22. Also GWS seems to be tired of Collingwood over the Treloar deal, maybe someone can pull off what Melbourne did with Clark after Fremantle and Brisbane refused to budge.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 13, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This trade period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4guRiNZLGQ

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Now he's one that really could just walk to the PSD and have a reasonable shot at getting to Essendon. I doubt for all the bluster Brisbane would want to pick up a supposedly (he isn't really) broken ruck who doesn't want to be in Brisbane.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

Now he's one that really could just walk to the PSD and have a reasonable shot at getting to Essendon. I doubt for all the bluster Brisbane would want to pick up a supposedly (he isn't really) broken ruck who doesn't want to be in Brisbane.

Aish doesn't want to be in Brisbane either, I don't think Brisbane will give two shits about using Leuenberger to help reach the TPP minimum and trade or UFA him for something better next year, when all that's on offer this year is a worthless pick. Even if they got the same offer next year, it's a better draft pool to use it in.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I don't think they care about a guy like Leuenberger walking, it's someone like Aish who is:

Young
Promising
Trying to leave for as little as possible

that is going to get absolutely screwed, and so they should.

He's not even trying to go home, he's from Adelaide, he just wants to go to a place which isn't going to put up 18 losses a season.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The joke will be on Aish when he retires as a respected Collingwood legend with no premierships to his name and Lewis Taylor has captained the Lions to a three-peat.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

tnimark posted:

The joke will be on Aish when he retires as a respected Collingwood legend with no premierships to his name and Lewis Taylor has captained the Lions to a three-peat.

Yeah, but he'll get the last laugh on both Taylor and Dyson Heppell once he starts coaching

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schlesische posted:

I don't think they care about a guy like Leuenberger walking, it's someone like Aish who is:

Young
Promising
Trying to leave for as little as possible

that is going to get absolutely screwed, and so they should.

He's not even trying to go home, he's from Adelaide, he just wants to go to a place which isn't going to put up 18 losses a season.

I don't see how that has any relevance to Brisbane wanting to actually receive something in exchange for a ruckman who will be starting every game for Essendon next year. If the salary from Essendon is so low that Brisbane are only going to get a pick useful for rookie upgrades instead of a compo pick at 22, they're fully entitled to match and make Essendon cough up pick 23 for him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I of course am waiting for St Kilda to successfully downgrade pick 5 to two mid to late first rounders, and have Dodoro demand both of them, or a mid to late first and a second, and Dodoro permanently ends negotiations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
so now casboult is on the trade table are we taking bets that he will kick 50+ goals for whoever he goes to next year?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I don't see how that has any relevance to Brisbane wanting to actually receive something in exchange for a ruckman who will be starting every game for Essendon next year. If the salary from Essendon is so low that Brisbane are only going to get a pick useful for rookie upgrades instead of a compo pick at 22, they're fully entitled to match and make Essendon cough up pick 23 for him.

They will, but they're unlikely to go "WELL gently caress YOU THEN, GET HIM IN THE DRAFT IF YOU CAN MUAHAHAHAHAHA".

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

snaeksikn posted:

so now casboult is on the trade table are we taking bets that he will kick 50+ goals for whoever he goes to next year?
Unless he goes to Freo and is utterly wasted by Lyon.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I of course am waiting for St Kilda to successfully downgrade pick 5 to two mid to late first rounders, and have Dodoro demand both of them, or a mid to late first and a second, and Dodoro permanently ends negotiations.

I fully expect this to end up with AFL mediation. It'll be like a couple of old women arguing over the price of a fish.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

The Age posted:

With so many players heading out, GWS do actually have one area they are looking to bring bodies in: the ruck.

Essendon to trade Jonathan Giles and its third round pick to GWS in return for salary cap space and avoiding the spud Dodoro would have picked up with the third rounder.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I wonder if they might just delist Giles once Leuenberger is confirmed. It seems like no one at the club rates him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm still amazed as to why they ever bothered recruiting him.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They were pretty desperate for ruck coverage after Ryder left and I guess Giles and McKernan were the only two desperate enough to come to Essendon. At least McKernan turned out OK, if he can give even just a couple more seasons playing like he did a the end of this season it will have been worth the punt on them

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Essendon to trade Jonathan Giles and its third round pick to GWS in return for salary cap space and avoiding the spud Dodoro would have picked up with the third rounder.

GWS already had Giles before Mumford, I don't think they want him back

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think the club are not expecting Pav to play on, only Fyfe Ballantyne and Hill are being used for the 2016 membership drive promo material.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NTRabbit posted:

In all honesty, I have no doubt this is on the minds of our recruiters. Trading out of pick 5 only to have Essendon balk yet again would be a disaster.

Quite frankly I would rather us march and risk Carlisle to the PSD and perforate Essendon over a barrel. Seeing that club smoulder in the bottom tier of the ladder for the next 5 years warms my blackened heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-10-13/what-is-he-worth
I guess this is aimed at getting a bit of public pressure to build up on the Saints to get the deal done, or maybe laying a bit of groundwork for when it inevitably ends up in the hands of an AFL mediator. Either way, lol.

• Locked thread