Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

high tunnel low no lynch = an early vote that doesn't move until deadline to lynch the leader

This could work, disregarding the NL stat---which I still don't see how it could reasonably modeled without modeling deadlines, which is not in the cards right now---by having a flexible/tunnel stat reflect a player more or less likely to shift their vote---when voteshifts occur, the more flexible players move first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Allen Wren posted:

This could work, disregarding the NL stat---which I still don't see how it could reasonably modeled without modeling deadlines, which is not in the cards right now---by having a flexible/tunnel stat reflect a player more or less likely to shift their vote---when voteshifts occur, the more flexible players move first.

stubbornness, maybe?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
gently caress caffeine. Stay off of it for 4 days and then I accidentally fake a 6 hour 'nap' for the whole evening.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the trick to drugs is never getting addicted to them in the first place.

*sips appletini*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

gently caress caffeine. Stay off of it for 4 days and then I accidentally fake a 6 hour 'nap' for the whole evening.

Actually,

caffeine is good

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey BK and foo you should join the game I just made.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746469

it's about space pigs and it's a mini-mini game. Will take maybe a week tops.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

hey BK and foo you should join the game I just made.

it's about space pigs and it's a mini-mini game. Will take maybe a week tops.

I saw your game and am considering joining it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

stubbornness, maybe?

Basically that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

Once you've been off of it for a while, you usually end up feeling so much better. Just power through the tough part.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Once you've been off of it for a while, you usually end up feeling so much better. Just power through the tough part.

Planning on it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Allen Wren posted:

i'm not sure how you iterate to generate vote/no vote decisions, but time-to-deadline would decrease on each iteration and have various influences on the strength of certain statistics; e.g. a stubborn player will be much more influenced by the time-to-deadline decreasing where as a less stubborn player would simply be more likely to move their vote at any time

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

i'm not sure how you iterate to generate vote/no vote decisions, but time-to-deadline would decrease on each iteration and have various influences on the strength of certain statistics; e.g. a stubborn player will be much more influenced by the time-to-deadline decreasing where as a less stubborn player would simply be more likely to move their vote at any time

I see what you're saying, but there is literally no mechanism for deadlines at this time. The voting cycle for every day I've simulated thus far has been 2-4 iterations. That's not enough of a spread to try and trim the length down by making deadline after 3 or 4 iterations. For the purposes at hand, I think when voteshifts occur, having the more flexible players first in line to shift their vote is the more reasonable option.

It still looks like a Mafia play, it doesn't need as much under the hood. Remember, I'm doing all the numbers by hand right now, and I don't expect I'll be abducted by aliens to be taught how to code in the near future.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Hello mafia friends. How are things?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Meinberg posted:

Hello mafia friends. How are things?

I signed you up for the game I'm hosting.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

EccoRaven posted:

I signed you up for the game I'm hosting.

I'm going to be in Atlantic City Wednesday-Friday.

Eh, maybe I'll be able to make the time.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Meinberg posted:

I'm going to be in Atlantic City Wednesday-Friday.

Eh, maybe I'll be able to make the time.

good.

I need two more for the game!

It can start immediately. That's an Actual Promise, not at all like the foolish Ecco Promises of yore.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Captain Foo posted:

Actually,

caffeine is good

At one point I had a high enough tolerance for caffeine that I took a handful of caffeine pills and still fell asleep 10 minutes later facedown into a calculus textbook.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey pecota you may not know it yet but you should sign up for a game I just opened it's very good you should do it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Caffeine works very well, I find myself staying up for 36 hours very easily if I really continue drinking soda. However, just using it on an average day sucks really bad and while I don't get the headaches, my sleep schedule is already fodder enough.

I'm gonna just switch to tap water.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hey I'm in an Ecco game get in there folks we'll have so much fun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do any of you nerds have an album that you love even though you only really like about half the songs?

Because I absolutely do. The Strange Case of... by Halestorm has some of my favorite songs by them, and I have been on a big Halestorm kick recently, even though it seems like they fell down in the middle of the album, hit their head, and forgot they aren't Evanescence.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The second half of Diamond Dogs never did much for me. Pretty much after Rebel Rebel though We Are the Dead has really grown on me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Do any of you nerds have an album that you love even though you only really like about half the songs?

Because I absolutely do. The Strange Case of... by Halestorm has some of my favorite songs by them, and I have been on a big Halestorm kick recently, even though it seems like they fell down in the middle of the album, hit their head, and forgot they aren't Evanescence.

King Crimson's "Red" is like this. It starts off with the title track, which is amazing, moreso the louder you play it.

Then there's Fallen Angel, which is all sorts of bad.

One More Red Nightmare has a killer groove, but terrible lyrics.

Providence is really only interesting if you're into for-real without-a-net improvisation, but it's definitely not bad at that.

Then Starless comes on, another one that gets better the louder it's playing, and it's quite possibly the greatest single prog track ever. It's got great performances from everyone involved, it's got this amazing menacing bass and cello part, the most insane tension-increasing build-up, a huge jazz explosion in the middle, and then when it comes around to restate the theme again, it's this thick pile of growling bass, driving percussion and this huge mellotron string sound, it's like very little else before or since.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't listen to music enough to have an opinion so all you got was this post. Womp womp.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
does anyone ever feel like time is a flat circle?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

"Hi there, when will the originally planned size TellSpec will come out? If I have known I wouldn’t have pledge because in a month I’m changing my lifestyle. I will be living as a Nomads which means I won’t have a fix address for you to send my TellSpec to. Actually I don’t mind waiting if you find a solution to this issue."

best comment in the world

my early morning reading today is about crowdfunding scams and i remembered this silly promised handheld device that could tell you what was in your food and was clearly a physical and scientific impossibility

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
whatever happened to the ouya is that dead now?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

Are you implying there was a time when the ouya wasn't dead?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Kashuno posted:

Are you implying there was a time when the ouya wasn't dead?

well i guess you have a point, but im talking like officially dead like no longer being produced/supported

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

well i guess you have a point, but im talking like officially dead like no longer being produced/supported

Iirc Razer bought them for some reason

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

HiipFire posted:

razer bought out all the tech so that they could flood the chinese market with their own 'console' the razer forge tv and a bunch of ouya-ported games

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
well atleast the ouya finally found its market

shame its china but hey

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hi there when will the next mafia game start? i am going to become nomads and you won't be able to send me my role pm if it's too late. actually, never mind.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Power of Pecota posted:

At one point I had a high enough tolerance for caffeine that I took a handful of caffeine pills and still fell asleep 10 minutes later facedown into a calculus textbook.

this is probably bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Allen Wren posted:

I see what you're saying, but there is literally no mechanism for deadlines at this time. The voting cycle for every day I've simulated thus far has been 2-4 iterations. That's not enough of a spread to try and trim the length down by making deadline after 3 or 4 iterations. For the purposes at hand, I think when voteshifts occur, having the more flexible players first in line to shift their vote is the more reasonable option.

It still looks like a Mafia play, it doesn't need as much under the hood. Remember, I'm doing all the numbers by hand right now, and I don't expect I'll be abducted by aliens to be taught how to code in the near future.

oh, i didn't realize you were doing everything by hand :shobon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ernie. posted:

hi there when will the next mafia game start? i am going to become nomads and you won't be able to send me my role pm if it's too late. actually, never mind.
I'm gonna start Post Restriction mafia soon, if you want in on that. Would email work?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Scooby Dooby Do, where are you?
We've got a game for you now.
Scooby Dooby Do, where are you,
You've got a game to play now!

Scooby Doo Mafia - The Haunted Hilltop Hotel is now taking signups! It's should be a fun game with some fun flavor!

It's ready to start whenever it fills up, but if I'm at work then it will have to wait until I get home.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ernie. posted:

It will start whenever I get 16 people to join the game above! Join up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
TMM & Pmush did you hear that *WHOOSH* sound just now?