Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Tyma posted:

Uh... 80/1?

That's worth a bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

stavros880 posted:

Just googled him and realised he's Irish. Is this another "Rog" / "Bod" type thing?
I think they should just call him Alan.

His dad's name is also Alan, making him Alan Jr. I think the Americans started calling him Adge.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Swan Curry posted:

His dad's name is also Alan, making him Alan Jr. I think the Americans started calling him Adge.

It was his coach at some point I believe.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Scapegoat posted:

That's worth a bet

Those are mathematical odds, though, which no bookmaker will ever offer you :{

I just ran some accumulator bets, and William Hill offered me :

173/1 : All Northern Hemisphere teams win
4/1 : All Southern Hemisphere teams win
1.65/1 : All Northen Hemisphere teams except Argentina win

The reason they lean so heavily in one direction is that Scotland are so unlikely to beat Australia :{

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tyma posted:

1.65/1 : All Southern Hemisphere teams except Argentina win

The reason they lean so heavily in one direction is that Scotland are so unlikely to beat Australia :{

Also, it's Australia, and it's Scotland.
I fully believe the Wallabies are capable of crashing out at this stage to a team that on the balance of things probably shouldn't be here.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Schlesische posted:

Also, it's Australia, and it's Scotland.
I fully believe the Wallabies are capable of crashing out at this stage to a team that on the balance of things probably shouldn't be here.

On the balance of things? If Japan had went out after winning more games than Scotland you might have a point, but the fact is, they didn't. Scotland may be the weakest team in the Quarter Finals, but they are there on merit.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

and an advantageous schedule

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

dex_sda posted:

and an advantageous schedule

But this is the thing - the schedule was made on the basis of the draw: at the time of the draw, Scotland are the third seeded team in that group, expected to finish below Samoa, and were scheduled to play the Boks then Samoa. You can point to Samoa's absolute implosion until their final game just as much as you can the schedule as the reason the group turned out the way it did. This happens every RWC when people scream about a tier 2 team playing two tier 1 teams in succession with short turn around - but this time around, the fact is, Scotland were drawn in that group as a tier 2 team.

Btw for the record, despite world rankings, Japan has more registered rugby players, more senior rugby players and (many) more professional teams with (much) more investment than Scotland.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

their good stuff

lol they're loving poo poo mate

only way they're winning is if the all blacks completely poo poo the bed

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Scotland are currently 2/3 against Australia in their last 3 tests. (One was in a hurricane in Tasmania and the Australians looked like they were about to die from exposure mind, but still...)

Scotland scored more points and tries than any team other than SA in the pool, people thinking that they're not in the QF on merit are loving idiots even if they are the weakest of the sides to qualify. Japan were great, knocked over a truly poo poo South African team and did far better than anyone expected because of that but let's not go loving nuts here, Scotland scored 6 more tries than Japan and a +43 points difference over them in the pool stages. It was close at the end and a really great pool contest but Scotland's qualification hopes were never out of their hands and it took Samoa playing the best game of their tournament and Scotland to play their worst to even bring it into question.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Japan also had the option of resting their starters against the Boks and targeting Scotland as their "first" match. If they'd done that, and won, Scotland would've faced the USA after four days rest knowing they might well need BP wins against them and Samoa and to pick up something from die Bokke.

The only team that did not have to deal with a 4-day turnaround and all the squad management/strategy it entails at some point was England (:lol: )

Oh and Scotland's other win against the Wobs was in Newcastle in a torrential downpour. You can discount both wins.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pretty much hoping for torrential rain so that Scotland can play in their natural environment.

Woden
May 6, 2006

emjayo posted:

lol they're loving poo poo mate

only way they're winning is if the all blacks completely poo poo the bed

If they do beat the ABs then Australia has a good chance of rolling 5 teams out of the Six Nations. :getin:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It'll be cool to see four Southern Hemisphere teams in the semifinals.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Great - now all of New Zealand will be nervous leading up to this weekend. I expect productivity to drop massively across all sectors due to large amounts of fidgeting, nail-biting, and deep inhalation of breath for the rest of the week.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
What's the difference between Ian Thorpe and England?

Thorpe gets out of the pool at a major sporting event

works for Cricket, Rugby and Football!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yesterday was mental, I'm so hungover today. France were pretty terrible, especially in the 2nd half. We just looked like we wanted it more, and they were too preoccupied with breaking Johnny Sexton to actually play rugby.

Just a shame Earls messed up that great chance in the 1st half.

Henderson was brilliant when he came on, Madigan was pretty good too.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was largely overlooked during and after what with PoC and Sexton but Peter O'Mahoney is out for the rest of the competition with knee ligament damage :smith:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

slothrop posted:

What's the difference between Ian Thorpe and England?
One thing's the same: they both peaked over a decade ago.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

Pretty much hoping for torrential rain so that Scotland can play in their natural environment.

Lucky they're not playing at the Millennium then.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

World rankings are out.
Wallabies have hit the 90s! :)

full list

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some solid tiering there. 90 points, 85 points, 80 points. The 3.5 point gap from 6-11 is pretty nice to see.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Way to go Japan. Any bets as to how long they'll stay in that spot? A Japan side that is consistently at or above 12th could lay a claim to being a Tier 1 team. They definitely would have beaten Italy if they'd played them this tournament.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure Georgia are as close to Italy as the points would suggest. But they should be pointing at it and shouting about their need to play top tier nations more often.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

I'm not sure Georgia are as close to Italy as the points would suggest. But they should be pointing at it and shouting about their need to play top tier nations more often.

I'm fully behind making the 6th spot in the 6 Nations a promotion spot from the European Nations Cup. It would increase competition in the 6 Nations and give more countries competitive top tier rugby. Playing unlimited friendlies against against someone is not the same as playing actual competitive matches. You just need to look at what it's done for Italy and Argentina to play in proper competitions.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

julian assflange posted:

It was largely overlooked during and after what with PoC and Sexton but Peter O'Mahoney is out for the rest of the competition with knee ligament damage :smith:

It's a big test of Joe's management how he handles this, I'd assume you'd replace POC/POM/SOB with Henderson/Murphy/Henry and make a space for Donnacha Ryan on the bench, Rhys Ruddock is in to replace POM but we still haven't heard who's taking Jared Payne's spot. Such a shame that all these injuries came at the end of the group stage, I'm still confident we can beat Argentina but battling Australia with a patchwork back row doesn't sound too promising.

After Madigan's performance I'd be keen on throwing him on if Sexton doesn't start hot, I really like Madigan but maybe his performance will spur Johnny on a bit since he hasn't quite hit the heights we all know he can just yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd be thinking about if it was possible to rest Sexton against Argentina, or start him on the bench at least.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Japan will probably stay around there/rise over the next few years. The introduction of super rugby, large player base, and already massive investment from the likes of Kobe Steel, Toyota, Toshiba etc in the 14 team league means they have a solid platform to build from. The fact they're hosting the next RWC is also a big boon.

They're also a relatively youthful team (with a few exceptions) and should retain a number of players with (good) experience going forward.

Italy btw, are a side on the opposite trajectory when it comes to age and promising players.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

(One was in a hurricane in Tasmania and the Australians looked like they were about to die from exposure mind, but still...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuH4G7dW-SI
Never forget :scotland:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Liam Williams has hosed the screws in his foot from a previous foot-loving.

rip him

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Poor Ansbro. He looked like he was going to be pretty drat good before his injury.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So in Ireland news:

Peter O'Mahony has been ruled out with knee ligament damage, effectively ending his world cup. Rhys Ruddock has been called in. Meanwhile, Paul O'Connell and Jonathan Sexton are getting scans on their injuries. Signs are "encouraging" that Sexton may be OK, but O'Connell may not be so lucky.

Sean O'Brien will also be having a hearing within the next 24 hours. If he's found guilty of striking, he may be out for at least 2 weeks, which is the entry point, not counting any time taken off for his record.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

goatface posted:

Liam Williams has hosed the screws in his foot from a previous foot-loving.

rip him

Patchell next in line to be called up I think. How many more have to drop dead before Henson gets to swoop in and win the world cup for us?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

stavros880 posted:

Patchell next in line to be called up I think. How many more have to drop dead before Henson gets to swoop in and win the world cup for us?

They'll be able to make a sequel to The Kick.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

They'll be able to make a sequel to The Kick.

Holy poo poo, I want to play Angry Ospreys Fan #2 so badly!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Eli Walker called up for Wales. Tyma, you don't think much of him: how much more stuffed are Wales now that he's in the squad? And what's so bad about him (I don't know him well)?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

fallingdownjoe posted:

Eli Walker called up for Wales. Tyma, you don't think much of him: how much more stuffed are Wales now that he's in the squad? And what's so bad about him (I don't know him well)?

I thought he was injured, but it turns out he's recovered from his hamstring injury and is a week away from fitness. How long do we give him before he's injured again?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

I think people tend to see him make an exciting break every game, and give him a lot of credit as a player, just because he makes exciting things happen. He has a really nice side-step, but he's made of paper, and gets injured so often that he hasn't had enough time on the pitch to develop into any more of a player than he was when he debuted.

I think the reason he's in ahead of Robinson or Henson is because the team spent so much time training with The Ospreys since the build-up begiu, that Walker knows the playbook inside out, and he's obviously in far better form than Cuthbert.

All of that being said, Gatland's refusal to call up Henson or start James Hook, so they can put North back on the wing is really frustrating, and we're surely backed into such a corner at this point, that politics don't matter?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Henson still remotely good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

stavros880 posted:

I thought he was injured, but it turns out he's recovered from his hamstring injury and is a week away from fitness. How long do we give him before he's injured again?

As long as he can do two games, that's all I care about, especially if he's as made of glass as Tyma's suggesting. It's always sad when players just get too broken to get gametime, but I can definitely see the point on bringing in an Ospreys players who will be more easily able to slot into the team's mindset due to the sheer amount of time spent playing with the group.

If we do get through to the semis and half of the team's dead after the Boks slam into them repeatedly, maybe that's when politics will stop mattering.