Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Really don't like these washed out normal enemy models or the boss recolors. Also I think the boxes with your party members will hit the ground first? That or I just got really lucky every time I played this as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I guess you could say: Alice doesn't live here anymore.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Waffleman_ posted:

More voice actor trivia!

In this game, Alice is played by Kathryn Beaumont, who played the character in the original 1951 movie! She was 64 when she reprised her role for Kingdom Hearts! What a sport!
Genuinely amazing, then again Disney are surprisingly on-point getting actors back or having some people reprise their roles as long as they're not fully retired essentially. She's not the only Disney lady who got her VA back and still rocking it out.

Also, it's "Che-shurr" Cat. CHEH. SHURR. :goonsay:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 6, 2015

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
In the absence of ducks, would it be equally satisfying for us to rush a goose with our ponderous mid-sections?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kallev posted:

In the absence of ducks, would it be equally satisfying for us to rush a goose with our ponderous mid-sections?
please don't commit suicide by goose for the amusement of the internet

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Kallev posted:

yes

Nihilarian posted:

please don't commit suicide by goose for the amusement of the internet

he knows the cost, sometimes you have to do dangerous stuff for an anime game lp

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

Kallev posted:

This is a horrible idea, friend. Geese are mean as hell, and they do not back down. Like, do what you gotta do but just know that you might actually die.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ive held my own against geese but yeah if that poo poo legit looks dangerous to any of you, we were half joking so all of the bonuses can be void or not. can always use a pile of boxes, each with a different geese picture. or whatever, the belly and the slam is your limit.

quote:

gently caress it, here's the new update a bit early

Polsy

also quoting update from last page

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Official statement: I'm more than willing to buy someone an avatar if they wanna Do the Fatman but yeah let's try not to get someone injured over this. Just slap your belly and run into something non-lethal and we'll judge on how "rad" as "hell" the video is.
Bonus points if the belly slapping is done to Simple and Clean.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

ChorpSaway posted:

Official statement: I'm more than willing to buy someone an avatar if they wanna Do the Fatman but yeah let's try not to get someone injured over this. Just slap your belly and run into something non-lethal and we'll judge on how "rad" as "hell" the video is.
Bonus points if the belly slapping is done to Simple and Clean.

Put clown shoes on your dog and slap your belly at it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Just leave him, he's fine. (That's really good!)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You can change the partner AI to make them a little better, but on Proud it doesn't help a ton. Their preset behaviors just aren't the best.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

please do not laugh at the death of my friend, donald duck who is currently dead in my garage after losing a fight with my car.

bobjr posted:

You can change the partner AI to make them a little better, but on Proud it doesn't help a ton. Their preset behaviors just aren't the best.

yeah, i only ended up bothering with that a few years ago, but i kinda prefer no survival skills donald and goofy. usually means i have a bit more breathing space cuz bosses focus on them a bit.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

yeah, i only ended up bothering with that a few years ago, but i kinda prefer no survival skills donald and goofy. usually means i have a bit more breathing space cuz bosses focus on them a bit.
The only thing I noticed in their AI patterning is you can make them attack SLIGHTLY less or heal you SLIGHTLY more often, but in general the AI tends to be pretty terrible in this game. Donald forgets he's a black mage constantly, whilst Goofy is only able to survive and mitigate enemy forces slightly due to being a surprisingly sturdy meat shield.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

FinalGamer posted:

Donald forgets he's a black mage constantly

unless you mess w/ all of his settings in a very specific way he's programmed to keep his MP above a specific level so he can do emergency healing on you, so he has to use his lovely melee attacks to get MP back because that's how this game works until you get a really OP late game ability or are some sort of insane person that grinds for tons and tons of ethers & bothers to restock him after every single fight

because proud mode is very specifically designed with someone who has dodge roll in mind and also he doesn't have goofys shield that lets him randomly block melee attacks while he's mashing out stuff, he gets owned

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

get ready for SPORTS

Polsy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

also the gummy ship segments are my favourite part of the game I can't help it I love starfox :saddowns:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
After recently having gotten the game (thanks to this LP) and having completed all of the Gummy Ship stuff I can safely say that I never want to touch those segments ever again.

Also I feel it's worth noting that out of all of the Final Fantasy characters, Cloud is the only character who kept his voice actor from Kingdom Hearts 1.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Danaru posted:

also the gummy ship segments are my favourite part of the game I can't help it I love starfox :saddowns:

Quoted for truth
I particularly enjoyed building the ships.

Atomikus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 13, 2015

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Playing this game before Final Fantasy 7 game me a weird impression of Cloud.

Also the Gummi Ship segments could have been okay if it was faster paced, but for me the biggest issue is it just feels so slow.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

[other-game spoiler removed. Please remember the thread rules! -Geop]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I always remember being able to hit the fat-heartless-jerks in the belly when they charge at you, maybe someone can correct me. Also I think this is the first game I remember where Cloud is presented as a brooding dip-poo poo 100% of the time rather than the 1% of FF7 thanks Square.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Fabulousvillain posted:

I always remember being able to hit the fat-heartless-jerks in the belly when they charge at you, maybe someone can correct me. Also I think this is the first game I remember where Cloud is presented as a brooding dip-poo poo 100% of the time rather than the 1% of FF7 thanks Square.

Yeah, if you time your attack right it stops them in their tracks. You can do the same thing to Cloud with his sword swings but it's harder to time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

I think this is the first game I remember where Cloud is presented as a brooding dip-poo poo 100% of the time rather than the 1% of FF7 thanks Square.

angsty fuckhead cloud has existed as early as the original final fantasy tactics, which came out all of seven months after FF7

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I know this is a PS2 game and all so I can't nitpick too much, but are we ever gonna travel to a "world" that's bigger than like 5 rooms?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TwoPair posted:

So I know this is a PS2 game and all so I can't nitpick too much, but are we ever gonna travel to a "world" that's bigger than like 5 rooms?
There may be slightly more rooms, but the rooms sizes are not going to get better.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

these first four levels are by far the least impressive

they get more elaborate from here, to the point one of the complaints about this game is confusing level layouts

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

darealkooky posted:

angsty fuckhead cloud has existed as early as the original final fantasy tactics, which came out all of seven months after FF7

I thought that was just amnesic.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

After recently having gotten the game (thanks to this LP) and having completed all of the Gummy Ship stuff I can safely say that I never want to touch those segments ever again.

the fact that i got someone else to buy kingdom hearts because of me shows that i succeeded where previous history's greatest monsters failed.

TwoPair posted:

there's gonna be slightly more rooms, but overall they'll end up being a lot bigger and a lot more confusing.

Fabulousvillain posted:

yeah, it's entirely possible. i just have Sliding Dash equipped, which for some reason makes sora think the charging fat guy is far away and dash into them instead of just hitting them.

as for cloud, here's a fun fact for everyone. originally they wanted to use vincent valentine in the coliseum but for some reason i can't remember, they switched him to cloud. i'm thinking a lot of dialogue probably got left over and just transported onto cloud.

vvvv i feel very stupid for not having thought of that before. guess this lper's going back to boot camp.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 13, 2015

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

FutureFriend posted:

yeah, it's entirely possible. i just have Sliding Dash equipped, which for some reason makes sora think the charging fat guy is far away and dash into them instead of just hitting them.

You should be able to parry it in the air unless the dash works there too for some reason.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

as for cloud, here's a fun fact for everyone. originally they wanted to use vincent valentine in the coliseum but for some reason i can't remember, they switched him to cloud. i'm thinking a lot of dialogue probably got left over and just transported onto cloud.

Yeah the dialog, claw, cape, attitude, and stupid hair flip are all Vincent. Not only did they switch the two out, but they put no effort into trying to adapt any of it to fit Cloud at all.

They honestly just photoshopped Cloud's face onto Vincent and called it a day I guess. No idea why.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

LeafyOrb posted:

Yeah the dialog, claw, cape, attitude, and stupid hair flip are all Vincent. Not only did they switch the two out, but they put no effort into trying to adapt any of it to fit Cloud at all.

They honestly just photoshopped Cloud's face onto Vincent and called it a day I guess. No idea why.

I guess the person who had the idea forgot Vincent used a gun and transformation crap to fight but already designed him with a Buster Sword on him. :effort:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

James Woods is the loving best.

He actively went on record saying that if anyone needed him to be Hades, ANYONE, he would come on and loving do it, and that is why he still remains voicing Hades throughout all the movie, the TV series and this Kingdom Hearts world of Hercules.

I guess it is true wizards are dirty fighters, that fucker got you square in the goddamn back. I never seen that cutscene before either because I'm not a scrub-rear end bitch, but I know you're better than that FutureFriend :v: you just wanted to show the folks at home everything this game had, I respect that.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've never watched an LP of this game. It strikes me as a Final Fantasy/Disney fanfiction made into a video game. Wasn't there a story about how Square came up with this idea after someone was in the same elevator as a Disney executive?

FinalGamer posted:

James Woods is the loving best.

He actively went on record saying that if anyone needed him to be Hades, ANYONE, he would come on and loving do it, and that is why he still remains voicing Hades throughout all the movie, the TV series and this Kingdom Hearts world of Hercules.
Well, he hasn't been getting other work, so it's easy for him to keep that promise. I know him more for him threatening to sue someone on Twitter who said (as a joke) that he's a cocaine addict.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I've never watched an LP of this game. It strikes me as a Final Fantasy/Disney fanfiction made into a video game. Wasn't there a story about how Square came up with this idea after someone was in the same elevator as a Disney executive?
Pretty much, it is exactly that. The story goes that Tetsuya Nomura, who was one of the head character designers of Square-Enix starting back since FF7, got in an elevator with a Disney executive since their companies shared the same building. They had at first a jokey talk about making a game together and by the time they got off they had an idea to pitch to Disney. Roy Disney, Walt's...nephew I believe, was asked to come in and hear and he himself approved since the Japanese were kind of all about family recognitions and such.

I don't know who the Disney executive was that Nomura talked to, and the first game does balance the best between Final Fantasy and Disney but as the series goes along you will find one side becoming more and more heavily favoured for its insanely bizarre story.

There was a lot of back-and-forth on particulars for what characters should and should not do, like Goofy was given a shield specifically because Disney asked not to have him be given a weapon. Here's an even more bizarre fact.
Kingdom Hearts is actually copyrighted to DISNEY fully, Square-Enix are just developing on their behalf so technically Sora and anyone else that comes up is also actually owned by Disney, except of course for Final Fantasy chars.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 25, 2015

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

alright, sorry for the week late gap, folks. was sick for a week or so with jungle fever.

Polsy

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The only thing you need to take away from this level is that BRIAN BLESSED came back and loving did Clayton again like he did in the movie because he's BRIAN GODDAMN BLESSED

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 27, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I see Goofy still sometimes acts like a real dog by giving feces to Sora as gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, for a hunter, Clayton really is missing an opportunity by not taking out that ~5 foot tall duck.

• Locked thread