Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Jane the Virgin - 2nd Season

2nd Season premiere was MONDAY 9 | 8c

1st Season available on NETFLIX

What is this show about? - 1st Season edition

Jane the Virgin is comedy series loosely based on a Venezuelan soap opera named Juana la Virgen. The best way to describe it is by calling it the more handsome, devilishly funny twin brother of the original soap opera, whose English is much better yet still has that sexy Latin accent. It's about a young (but not that young) conservative woman who spends her life conserving her virginity, waiting until marriage. However, during a routine pap smear, a careless OB/GYN artificially inseminates her, mistaking Jane for another patient. Even worse, she learns that the sperm sample belongs to an old highschool crush. This ironic twist of fate leads Jane through a tumult of emotions, created as she navigates through new complications forced on her work and life. Unlike other CW shows, Jane is not a teenager, nor is the show advocated to a teenage audience. This isn't that Secret Life of an American Teenager bullshit. Jane is not another teen pregnancy statistic, merely a mature victim of the coincidence-driven world that is magical realism.

Where we left off - 2nd season start
Jane's and Rafael's baby was born and promptly stolen by Sin Rostro aka. Rose, who is a criminal mastermind and Rafael's stepmother / Sister's lover.
Said sister is the one who accidentally inseminated Jane with Rafael's sperm, instead of his wife Petra, who has a tragic backstory and an evil mother.

Pictured from left to right: Jane, her mother Xiomara, her grandmother Alba and her father / El Presidente telenovela-star Rogelio.
Next three are her current boyfriend Rafael, His ex-wife Petra and Jane's ex-boyfriend Michael.

We should not forget Rafael's sister:

(She isn't the most stable person in the world)

Or the LATIN LOVER NARRATOR , who tells us all that we need to know each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The show owns and did not lose a beat when it returned. I laughed, I cried, I was happy that Jane got Mateo by the end of the first act... just renew the show early again, CW, so we don't have to worry.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

adhuin posted:

What is this show about? - 1st Season edition

Jane the Virgin is comedy series loosely based on a Venezuelan soap opera named Juana la Virgen. The best way to describe it is by calling it the more handsome, devilishly funny twin brother of the original soap opera, whose English is much better yet still has that sexy Latin accent. It's about a young (but not that young) conservative woman who spends her life conserving her virginity, waiting until marriage. However, during a routine pap smear, a careless OB/GYN artificially inseminates her, mistaking Jane for another patient. Even worse, she learns that the sperm sample belongs to an old highschool crush. This ironic twist of fate leads Jane through a tumult of emotions, created as she navigates through new complications forced on her work and life. Unlike other CW shows, Jane is not a teenager, nor is the show advocated to a teenage audience. This isn't that Secret Life of an American Teenager bullshit. Jane is not another teen pregnancy statistic, merely a mature victim of the coincidence-driven world that is magical realism.

Oh awesome, the show's already back?

Also, did I write this? drat, that description is on point. :viggo:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I kind of wish there could be a cut of the narrator filling in the entire first season from this episode on the first post. It would explain everything and give a pretty good indicator of why this show is so brilliant.

:allears: Jane's leaning towards Michael and I'm loving it. I prefer him.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Pinwiz11 posted:

The show owns and did not lose a beat when it returned. I laughed, I cried, I was happy that Jane got Mateo by the end of the first act... just renew the show early again, CW, so we don't have to worry.

Total agreement. Great first episode and they didn't drag out the Mateo kidnapping story line while still introducing a new big bad. Should be a fun season!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Give the person who decided they should draw on the screen sports-style a raise.

e: Double that again for the person who thought of the Michael/Rafael confessionals. BRILLIANT.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 20, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just binged everything over the weekend, and I have to say I'm in love with it! I don't know what netflix was thinking giving it 3 stars.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I had to...

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Those are amazing gifs! I feel so bad for Rafael. Between his screw-up sister, Sin Rostro, the Petra baby, the vengeful ex-boyfriend of Petra, AND Michael, dude is not having a good season.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This was a fantastic episode, it just keeps getting better. Young Abuela, Rogelio cliffhangering on a stepladder, Thanksgiving with everyone + the Turkey Baster, Old Jane being confronted by Mateo about Yegveni, Petra scheming, this one had everything

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

This episode... YES! I was doing the drat "Hot in Here" dance when the snow kiss happened.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Of course Rogelio's room has 'Star, Executive Producer' on the inside of the door as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I adored Britney Spears' entourage, and personally I think the slightly more cartoony aspect the show has taken on is a good fit.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Agree. I'm hoping they don't try to add more drama by deporting Jane's grandmother, but we'll see.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Those are amazing gifs! I feel so bad for Rafael. Between his screw-up sister, Sin Rostro, the Petra baby, the vengeful ex-boyfriend of Petra, AND Michael, dude is not having a good season.

Michael is the worst character.

wuthering
Oct 31, 2012
I like Michael more than I rationally should. I kind of hope he becomes a villain now, even if he and Nadine are trying to take down Sin Rostro.

I also went something good to happen to Petra, but I feel like that wouldn't be true to the character.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Petra is not having a good day. Now I feel sorry for her. Also, Mateo's actor is an adorable baby.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Man I feel bad for Michael as of the most recent couple of episodes.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Petra, no.. :(

This loving show gets me every single time. Such a shame it has such a stupid name, more people should watch it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I loved that ending, well, before the Petra bit. It was such a warm hug to the viewers. drat shame about Petra though. I want her to be happy and be friends with Jane.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The pattern game in this show if on fuckin point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Based on the number of posts in this thread, the show seems to be quite underappreciated, which makes me sad. I just finished season 1 and I am firmly on #teammichael. (spoilering this next bit because the goon above is still on season 1) Also, Bridget Regan is now 3 for 3 in appearances on shows I watch on being a more or less unassuming bystander who's secretly a stone cold killer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ahahahahahahahha is that the Cher guy from Drag Race???

EDIT: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I thought the blonde nurse was Sin Rostro for a moment, guess they're still keeping that one secret.

EDIT2: Nooooooooooo Ivan!

EDIT3: Yaaaay ghost Ivan!!

EDIT4: Oh my god Rafael is going to team up with Milos to take down Petras Mom isnt he??

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 28, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've finally caught up and here are my thoughts:

1. There wasn't a single episode I disliked
2. Petra </3 I hope she plays the violin at Jane's wedding to Michael
3. Rogelio x Michael is as compelling as Jane x Michael
4. I kept waiting for Michael and Rafael to become the new Angel and Spike but it never happened
5. lol eat poo poo Rafael

I'm very glad I discovered this by chance on Netflix at the same time I saw Sepinwall mention it positively.

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 30, 2015

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

We're back again!

Oh my god this show is so gripping and I wish I could just watch the rest of what is coming right now. I am so extremely glad it is back.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Michael is never getting back together with Jane and that bums me out.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah this show is great. Absolutely my guilty pleasure to watch with my girlfriend. Just the right amount of funny and touching moments.

They're hyping up that Jane "FINALLY DOES IT" in the next episode, 2/29/2016, with her advisor, but nooo way.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

On one hand, :neckbeard: at the end to today's ep. On the other hand, that just means I'm waiting for it to go horribly wrong. Also, why does Bridget Regan have the same character arc in everything she's in

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Every new episode has got me like :dogbutton:. I need more dammit! This show is probably one of the best I've watched in a long time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Jane And Petra's Excellent Adventure this week was amazing, they work so well together.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jane being friends with Petra is always great.

I hope this is the beginning of Michael and Rafael being Angel and Spike.

Also the baby names were great; I'd latched on to them saying "let it go" a few times in the ep but I didn't think it would lead up to Petra basically being Britta at Jane.

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Poor Rogelio. I'm going to predict the corner caught him in an eye and he'll wear an eyepatch from now on.

:colbert:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Michael/Rafael and Jane/Petra scenes this episode were all great.

Rogelio's face is going to be all hosed up next episode, isn't it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've been catching up and,

why did I ever stop following this show. :allears:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Jaime Camil killed it this episode, all he needs to do is not be as Rogelio as usual to break my heart. That's some goddamn quality acting and writing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha Mateo staring dead center into the camera before grandma explains the curse.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
It's nice to see Alba having a good time for a change. And that mustache itself is worth a curse or 2!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ahahahahaha the end of that ep.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Argue posted:

Ahahahahaha the end of that ep.

That was seriously one of the most amazing bait and switch I've ever seen. And when it happened you realize there were some hints to it and feel kind of bad for thinking Petra would abandon her children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh god whyyy :emo:

On the other hand, yet another hilarious bait and switch cliffhanger. Is it next season yet?

• Locked thread