Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Dante80 posted:

The main reason for the FPS being late is simply because many parts of it are being done over again. The the original plan for SM was for Illfonic to produce a separate module as a tech demo for testing, as well as the underlying tech that would enable FPS interaction into all parts of the game. This, and other separate modules were worked in parallel via SCRUM, with a distinct set of back-end and base code tenets communicated between the teams.

By the time Illfonic were ready to deliver seven months ago, most of their work in the branch had become pretty incompatible with the other branches (not strictly their fault). At the same time, communication and management across the teams was pretty bad (take a look at the internal re-structuring letter CR sent the day before talking about communication challenges, single man outpost syndrome etc), and the goals themselves were shifted a couple of times by CR himself (development iteration). Illfonic had a pretty good system nailed down, including FPS animations, 0g combat and half of the work on two maps/modes (sataball and the station).

CR didn't like the output - especially in the animations front, and he instructed Illfonic to add mocap stuff that was done in another branch and integrate it into FPS. Then he found out that the underlying code and hooks that Illfonic had were pretty much far gone/incompatible with what he wanted to change/add. He chose to promote Erins branch (which was also doing FPS in parallel for Sq42) and ended Illfonic participation in the project.

The following months, foundry42 was trying to make use of what assets and tech they got from Illfonic so that they could present the module as advertised. The removed 0g gameplay, the sataball map, jukes and after a lot of trial and error come to the conclusion that they had to re-do a lot of back-end stuff to bring the branch forward into the merged main. This is where we are now.

So, we are getting some FPS functionality on 2.0, and SM (as a separate game/mode like AC with the two maps, 0g arena combat and jukes) probably some time after that.

For posterity sake, this was a standard problem in SCRUM communication on the highest management level, as well as something we have seen a lot of time until now (revisions and remakes of the same assets on the micro level).

wait they deleted sataball and all those arm palming the wall 0g animations and poo poo? wtf lol hahahahahaha lets make fps module a third time boys, redoing the constellation anyway, you have 8 months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dante80 posted:

The main reason for the FPS being late is simply because many parts of it are being done over again. The the original plan for SM was for Illfonic to produce a separate module as a tech demo for testing, as well as the underlying tech that would enable FPS interaction into all parts of the game. This, and other separate modules were worked in parallel via SCRUM, with a distinct set of back-end and base code tenets communicated between the teams.

By the time Illfonic were ready to deliver seven months ago, most of their work in the branch had become pretty incompatible with the other branches (not strictly their fault). At the same time, communication and management across the teams was pretty bad (take a look at the internal re-structuring letter CR sent the day before talking about communication challenges, single man outpost syndrome etc), and the goals themselves were shifted a couple of times by CR himself (development iteration). Illfonic had a pretty good system nailed down, including FPS animations, 0g combat and half of the work on two maps/modes (sataball and the station).

CR didn't like the output - especially in the animations front, and he instructed Illfonic to add mocap stuff that was done in another branch and integrate it into FPS. Then he found out that the underlying code and hooks that Illfonic had were pretty much far gone/incompatible with what he wanted to change/add. He chose to promote Erins branch (which was also doing FPS in parallel for Sq42) and ended Illfonic participation in the project.

The following months, foundry42 was trying to make use of what assets and tech they got from Illfonic so that they could present the module as advertised. The removed 0g gameplay, the sataball map, jukes and after a lot of trial and error come to the conclusion that they had to re-do a lot of back-end stuff to bring the branch forward into the merged main. This is where we are now.

So, we are getting some FPS functionality on 2.0, and SM (as a separate game/mode like AC with the two maps, 0g arena combat and jukes) probably some time after that.

For posterity sake, this was a standard problem in SCRUM communication on the highest management level, as well as something we have seen a lot of time until now (revisions and remakes of the same assets on the micro level).

if only Ben would reply like this, he would look less like a turd

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Tusk posted:

He also could have, you know, gone to sleep.

He's sleeping alright, sleeping with the fishes. Chris doesn't gently caress around, the minute Bootcha started asking too many questions Sandi stuck an ice pick in the back of his head.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I feel like a character in LA Noire

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CrazyLoon posted:

Moreso disturbing, though, is Bootcha's reaction and then his subsequent complete and utter SILENCE for several pages - which genuinely makes me worried for the guy, that he must be going through panic-induced lawyer consultations atm as well as internally screaming at the possibility of him having funded mafia hits and having his investment become blood money.

Or, OR, he went to sleep because it was 3 am. Cmon thread.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Just dumped the bodies, let's get lunch

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

I feel like a character in LA Noire

Over-engineered and often strangely and unsubtly animated?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

Over-engineered and often strangely and unsubtly animated?

Yes!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

http://www.cbetta.com/director/simon-paul-elms-2

Simon Elms was a director at Gizmondo from 1998 to 2008. He went from Managing director to Financial Director in 2004. Three years earlier, a Swedish Mobster named 'Fat Steve' and a business associate bought Gizmondo. Erin Roberts was the Studio Director of Gizmondo Manchester. Simon Elms is now a Financial Director at CIG's Manchester Motion Capture Studio and Erin Roberts is an executive producer on Star Citizen.

Its all true. All these people worked for a money laundering game company run by the Swedish mob. Everything else is a fun ARG.

There's also no loving way on the planet that Simon Elms didn't know he was working for a mobster, since Fat Steve wasn't the subtle sort:

this thread, this loving thread gets better every time i go to bed! it's like christmas morning for the past two weeks! thank you D.Smart!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

peter gabriel posted:

RSIrvoir Dogs.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I thought this thread was meant for making fun of nerds that blindly believe extraordinary claims made by a game developer, not for blindly believing extraordinary claims made by a few internet people. :notacult:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

he should speak to a lawyer before doing anything else to do with his investment, last thing you want is to pull money out of a scheme that may be fraudulent before you get officials in

oh god Bootcha unwittingly being part of a money laundering scheme... THIS IS THE poo poo MOVIES AND TV SHOWS ARE MADE FROM!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

oh god Bootcha unwittingly being part of a money laundering scheme... THIS IS THE poo poo MOVIES AND TV SHOWS ARE MADE FROM!

I wonder if CRobber has already secured the movie rights?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ledenko posted:

I thought this thread was meant for making fun of nerds that blindly believe extraordinary claims made by a game developer, not for blindly believing extraordinary claims made by a few internet people. :notacult:

Hey, we're just having fun, because Derek Smart's suggested a funny thing. You can join in if you want.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ey if you want to rob yourself of the joy of role-playing a streetsmart gumshoe on the track of stolen money, mob connections and testes theftery, I dont think you know what fun is.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Hey, we're just having fun, because Derek Smart's suggested a funny thing. You can join in if you want.

I am! But some people are starting to look like they'd by prime casting material for a remake of Conspiracy Theory.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
So, just to clarify, it's okay to mention the number of pages added overnight and ask for a recap? And it's okay to boggle at the number of posts in a short period, as long as you use a hilarious form of curse in the process? And it's okay to :psypop: at the number of posts as long as you don't ask for a recap as well wait no nvm that's what I got probated for, but some people didn't?

I just want to make sure I understand so I don't get probed again :ohdear: Help me, Kewpuh, you're my only hope...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

What did you think CR wants to make? a video game?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agrajag posted:

Unwittingly.... right.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ledenko posted:

I am! But some people are starting to look like they'd by prime casting material for a remake of Conspiracy Theory.

I honestly think nothing much is going on and that the game is poo poo, apart form that gently caress it, it's all just fun to me :)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Full Metal Boxers posted:

So, just to clarify, it's okay to mention the number of pages added overnight and ask for a recap? And it's okay to boggle at the number of posts in a short period, as long as you use a hilarious form of curse in the process? And it's okay to :psypop: at the number of posts as long as you don't ask for a recap as well wait no nvm that's what I got probated for, but some people didn't?

I just want to make sure I understand so I don't get probed again :ohdear: Help me, Kewpuh, you're my only hope...

The cool rule kewpuh spends the majority of his moderation time enforcing is good and extremely clear and you'rt a retard if you don't get it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Friendly Tumour posted:

The cool rule kewpuh spends the majority of his moderation time enforcing is good and extremely clear and you'rt a retard if you don't get it.

But what does it mean?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peter gabriel posted:

I honestly think nothing much is going on and that the game is poo poo, apart form that gently caress it, it's all just fun to me :)

detective dancycat is indeed fun.. keep sleuthing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think anyone actively moderates this thread when seraph is not around.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Paladinus posted:

RSIrvoir Dogs.
This time no one wants to be Mr Black.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

peter gabriel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

peter gabriel posted:

I hope to cripes this is true and Bootcha just decided to go to sleep. Still, his last post being nothing but CAPSLOCK panic...it does spur the imagination, no matter how bullshit it might be.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

peter gabriel posted:

But what does it mean?

it means you're going to get probated in the future.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I don't mean to derail anyone from this crowdsourced Columbu adventure, but for those who missed it, CIG's Press Demo post Citcon shows some janky FPS action at work. (Sorta.)

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I was starting to get bored of this thread and now it's amazing again.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
More clarification time - what is Bootcha's stake in CIG? Did he invest dollars and dollars into the dream?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sandi will finally land a big role in the remake of Married to the Mob.

tooterfish posted:

This time no one wants to be Mr Black.

Lol.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I don't think anyone actively moderates this thread when seraph is not around.

As anyone actually seen Seraph and the mods in the same room at the same time? Makes you think.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ledenko posted:

More clarification time - what is Bootcha's stake in CIG? Did he invest dollars and dollars into the dream?

He is an actual investor in CIG, like big boy dollars.. not just spaceship JAYPEEGEES

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

The death threats sent to Derek Smart do take on a new significance though. Derek, if you're reading you need to do that thing where you say "in the event of my sudden death for any reason, evidence will be forwarded to all the major news networks". Just to protect yourself, also it'll be funny.

He delved too greedily and too deep.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ledenko posted:

Bootcha's indicated he's put quite a bit of funds into CIG as venture capital. CIG has bought out other VCs, but it sounds like 5 remain. Meanwhile a horse-numbers twitter randomly points out connections between the mocap studio CIG is using, and Stefan Eriksson, member of the Swedish Mob (previously involved with Gizmondo). While Bootcha claims he has no direct knowledge of CIG funds, goons seem to think as VC he likely has legal right to peek behind the curtain.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Also I keep seeing people asking why do spaceships need swing wings and turbine thrusters in zero gravity... and as much as I hate to actually side with Croberts about literally anything at this point, this one is really easily hand-waved away by saying "because they can also fly in atmosphere too."

C'mon, goons, really? I mean, yeah, PHYSICS, but it's sci-fi for gently caress's sake. You might as well ask why an X-Wing has wings. There are so many better things to criticize Star Citizen for.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

G0RF posted:

I don't mean to derail anyone from this crowdsourced Columbu adventure, but for those who missed it, CIG's Press Demo post Citcon shows some janky FPS action at work. (Sorta.)

The bit where a dude falls over in front of you for no reason while his gun stays floating in midair is the best, especially as there's a dead hostile on the floor with their physics going bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dante80 posted:

I think the most incredible thing about this is that they actually thought (or at least Chris thought) that the code made 4-5 different teams working independently on different projects would just "click" together and work with minimal communication or effort. Like of course someone else's code that you've never seen before is going to be completely different and incompatible. There's a good chance you won't even understand someone else's code just by looking at it for months, especially if it doesn't have helpful comments in it. I'm sure they just let the Illfonic people go without leaving anyone behind to explain exactly how they did what they did too, cause every company since the history of ever does this, and then end up complaining about how impenetrable the work they left behind is. :shrug:

So instead all that time, money, and effort was probably completely wasted.

• Locked thread