Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cop posted:

Walking Dead season 1 hooked me on telltale games and every single one has subsequently been poo poo. What ahppened to those writers.

They left to make Firewatch: http://www.camposanto.com/about/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWlgP5hZzc

Asema fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Kenny's the best character in both Walking Dead Seasons. I've never met anyone that doesn't have a strong opinion on him, he's either loved or hated, and there's no in-between whatsoever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If you want to see 2 different perceptions of Kenny play out naturally, watch the let's plays of Geek Remix and Two Best Friends Play. They each go in different directions and you can see why each would come to their conclusions.

Game of Thrones is honestly the first Telltale game since WDSe1 that I haven't really enjoyed. I'm looking forward to trying Tales of Borderlands since I've heard good things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cool. I hope it ends up interesting.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just a reminder that Borderlands is still awesome and a new episode is about to come out Tuesday.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Kenny's the best character in both Walking Dead Seasons. I've never met anyone that doesn't have a strong opinion on him, he's either loved or hated, and there's no in-between whatsoever.

I think the real divide is this (though nobody will agree to it): People who like to go with what the majority is saying, versus people that like to decide for themselves.

I know that sounds kinda bullshit and high handed, but almost everyone who went against him did so because every character you run into tells you he's bad news, an idiot, a danger, and a time bomb. Yet his every action (esp. in the second season) was done with good motivations and is proven right time and time again, even if he doesn't explain himself well. I honestly think most people that hate the character do so because characters in the game keep telling you that you should, not his actual actions.

Again I think it was intentional and if it was, season 2 is better than given credit for. It just felt that way over and over again, right down to the ending encouraging you to Shoot Kenny; not giving you the option to shoot Jane. Even the fabric of the interface seemed to go against logic, and I think a lot of people just rolled with where they were being steered.

-

... anyway sorry for the derail on a different Telltale game. I didn't hate this episode as much as some of you did, but I have to admit, it stopped feeling like Game of Thrones; the Pit Fighters were just a little too ridiculous but fun. I thought the choice at the end might be the first to actually matter, too, going into the last episode. I'm taking it as a fun little side story in the GoT universe and not expecting the freedom I think many of you are, and it's not doing too badly at that. Context matters to me.

That said, I was highly disappointed with the Tyrion scene because there was no option to try to gesture Tyrion to tip him off. Right when I got my task, it felt like I'd have the option to "try to tell Tyrion what's going on, between the lines, while fooling the dumb guard" but instead it made me announce my intentions in the loudest possible loving voice. It was very annoying; half of her options seemed like "cocky rear end in a top hat" this episode, not the unassuming act she's had going. It felt like she went from playing a careful and unassuming person to suddenly a smug "I got this poo poo" character despite my absolute best intentions to do the otherwise.

Half the options I picked for sincere with her came out as sarcastic, for Christ's sake. I wanted to tell her friend that "yeah, you should get distance from me, I'm into some dangerous stuff" and all I could do is snark at her to various levels.

Like.. I think dealing with Tyrion vs Cersei could be fun, given their impact they could have on YOUR story (even if you can't impact THEIRS), but not when I'm forced to suddenly be an idiot incapable of subtlety.

ED: Also God help anyone who made balanced choices and got a random-as-gently caress traitor, of the two traitors you saw coming a mile away. I so wanted it to turn out to be something completely unexpected, and I also wanted some loving hints... so the "your choices determine the traitor" thing was kinda obnoxious.

ED2: Also dealing with the traitor was dumb - Talia running off because I didn't kill him ON THE SPOT (what the gently caress) when he had info we needed, and then the subsequent response of "walking into an ambush you absolutely know is an ambush, instead of hitting the ambush." I mean fuuuuck. Again, I didn't hate this episode but I do see your points.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 14, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Here's the funny thing about the Tyrion scene, and I hope this plays out in episode five (it probably won't because it isn't a very well written game): Right at the beginning of his scene, he says that he was expecting Bronn. Hopefully there's an option to tell Cersie that he is expecting help from him, which would be cannon, since she then bribes him with a lordship.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, that definitely would be way too clever for this game.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
So when is Episode 6 releasing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Half the options I picked for sincere with her came out as sarcastic, for Christ's sake. I wanted to tell her friend that "yeah, you should get distance from me, I'm into some dangerous stuff" and all I could do is snark at her to various levels.

That bugged me enough to reload and choose another option. I hate when games do that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hallowed posted:

We usually find out a week before it comes out.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Also God help anyone who made balanced choices and got a random-as-gently caress traitor, of the two traitors you saw coming a mile away. I so wanted it to turn out to be something completely unexpected, and I also wanted some loving hints... so the "your choices determine the traitor" thing was kinda obnoxious.

ED2: Also dealing with the traitor was dumb - Talia running off because I didn't kill him ON THE SPOT (what the gently caress) when he had info we needed, and then the subsequent response of "walking into an ambush you absolutely know is an ambush, instead of hitting the ambush." I mean fuuuuck. Again, I didn't hate this episode but I do see your points.

I lost my save data and couldn't be arsed to replay 10 hours of game play to get to episode 5 so I played it straight away, funnily enough all the "major" choices were the same, it was only the minor ones that were different. Like not taking the opportunity to paste Gryff's smug face in. One thing I wondered about though was the traitor is it just that its always the one you didn't choose as second in command? I got ser Roylan.

One thing I really hated was the obvious attempts to amp up the suspense with Talia not telling you who it was straight away, even though she has proof. And to be honest I don't really believe either of them would be plausible traitors. Ser Duncan's a schemer but then he did send his own nephew on a suicide mission for the sliver of a chance this North Grove thing exists and can help. And Ser Roylan is so openly hostile to the White Hills and even uses the lack of aggression on your part as the cause of his dissatisfaction. But that just makes him seem the biggest moron ever, `Your bringing this house down and letting our sworn enemies triumph. Which is why I've decided to help bring down the house and ensure the White Hills are victorious!`.

Still Ashers part was good, and Gared's was enjoyable.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Waiting for episode 6 is like waiting for the next book...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max posted:

Here's the funny thing about the Tyrion scene, and I hope this plays out in episode five (it probably won't because it isn't a very well written game): Right at the beginning of his scene, he says that he was expecting Bronn. Hopefully there's an option to tell Cersie that he is expecting help from him, which would be cannon, since she then bribes him with a lordship.

thats what disipoints me about the GoT game. It never really does anything. i mean gently caress, tell tale made a loving borderlands game that had actual humor and characters, not lovely memes and drooling retards. So its disappointing to me that they havent done poo poo with the GoT universe. I found the first few episodes pretty good, but i feel like they wrote themselves into a corner just like they did in wolf among us. it espcialy sucks because much like Walking dead 2. you can see the narrative walls and constrictions plain as day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hallowed posted:

Waiting for episode 6 is like waiting for the next book...

Started out okay, last two instalments were awful, doomed to wait forever for an ending. Checks out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

With the length of time it's taken I've kind of forgotten about the characters and thus my interest in what happens isn't really that high.

Waiting aside this has easily been the worst Telltale series I've played up to this point, and whereas before I'd automatically buy a new Telltale game because I just liked the style of play I'm passing on the Minecraft one because there's no guarantee I'll like it any more.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This series has cemented my decision to just wait until all the episodes are out before buying a season from now on. I'm looking forward to getting to play all of Borderlands at the same time since by all accounts it's a much better series than GoT turned out to be.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

Hallowed posted:

I've seen the season listed at a few retailers such as best buy for a physical release on Nov 17. I would assume the same day.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I haven't started playing it yet, I was thinking of rolling a die for each conversation option since apparently it matters even less than in regular TT games :v:

Is it worse than TWD S2?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hard to say opinion being what it is. I liked Season 2 and I paid for the season when Game of Thrones came out and I haven't even bothered playing episode 5 yet. Take that for what you will.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

This series has cemented my decision to just wait until all the episodes are out before buying a season from now on. I'm looking forward to getting to play all of Borderlands at the same time since by all accounts it's a much better series than GoT turned out to be.

Borderlands was really good since they captured the atmosphere without the need to recycle stuff from the source material.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm now far more excited for Firewatch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I kept hearing about that game from various people, Some i respect and some i don't. I think it looks interesting, but i am afraid it will go down the "gone home" road and not have anything interesting or horror related happen.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
Yep, November 17th.

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/656735800583852032

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Four months, jeez. Who even cares any more?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

yaaay :effort:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Remember when Telltale was praised for being the only devs to "get" episodic gaming?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked TT better when they made actual adventure games tbh

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thankfully Tales from borderlands was really good. That makes me feel a little bit better about the money I wasted on GoT. At least we'll get to round this mistake of a game up by watching everyone die.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From the sound of the title what could be in the North Grove could be a huge gently caress off ice dragon and I'd actually be totally fine with that, because it would be dumb but the fun kind of dumb and it would resolve the plot pretty well.Though Mira would still be pointless.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

We can always pretend that the part where you stand your ground against Lord Whatshisface in his castle and everyone gets cut down, Game Over, is the real ending.

Tales from the Borderlands really is good though, so I think Telltale just got stuck with too big an IP with this one, and is also trying to crank out 6 episodes while doing Borderlands and the Minecraft one. By the way, I had no idea the Minecraft series had started coming out, there seemed to be very little fanfare surrounding it. Has anyone here even thought about playing it? I'm morbidly curious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RightClickSaveAs posted:

We can always pretend that the part where you stand your ground against Lord Whatshisface in his castle and everyone gets cut down, Game Over, is the real ending.

Tales from the Borderlands really is good though, so I think Telltale just got stuck with too big an IP with this one, and is also trying to crank out 6 episodes while doing Borderlands and the Minecraft one. By the way, I had no idea the Minecraft series had started coming out, there seemed to be very little fanfare surrounding it. Has anyone here even thought about playing it? I'm morbidly curious.
The only things I've heard is that it actually manages to be worse than this game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The issue was working in the middle of an established IP, but also needing to bring in a million well-known characters. In WD you get early cameo of Glen, but then he's gone. In Wolf Among Us, they clearly had a lot of latitude in what they did with characters and it was a rich setting for adding new ones. GoT suffers tremendously from characters having plot immunity and the player knowing what's about to happen to them. Why cut a deal with Tyrion when he's about to get jailed? Obviously Dany won't give you teh second sons no matter what, etc.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The Minecraft one is perfectly fine. The plot is obviously kid-friendly to a degree no other current telltale series is but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being better than Game of Thrones for example. Its likely going to end up being a fun little adventure story albeit nothing special. I do think the Minecraft art style is kinda ugly (mainly the character models, everything else is fine), and the cel-shaded look of the other series just looks better.

I think one of the biggest hurdles of Game of Thrones series is being the fourth Telltale series that is grimdark where all the choices are stuff like choosing which character you let die. After two seasons of walking dead (and DLC) and Wolf Among Us, it really begins to wear thin and feels like an almost lazy way to create drama and "feels". Also, this last episode was straight up paced badly.

Considering Telltale just finished their best series ever in Tales from the Borderlands, I wouldn't worry too much about the companies future. They've made two great games and other ones that were enjoyable enough. They'll almost certainly put out another great project in the future although this one will not be it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Karnegal posted:

The issue was working in the middle of an established IP, but also needing to bring in a million well-known characters. In WD you get early cameo of Glen, but then he's gone. In Wolf Among Us, they clearly had a lot of latitude in what they did with characters and it was a rich setting for adding new ones. GoT suffers tremendously from characters having plot immunity and the player knowing what's about to happen to them. Why cut a deal with Tyrion when he's about to get jailed? Obviously Dany won't give you teh second sons no matter what, etc.
Especially with Ramsay, good lord. Who they felt the need to have pop up yet again in the last episode, which was completely unnecessary.

So It Goes posted:

The Minecraft one is perfectly fine. The plot is obviously kid-friendly to a degree no other current telltale series is but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being better than Game of Thrones for example. Its likely going to end up being a fun little adventure story albeit nothing special. I do think the Minecraft art style is kinda ugly (mainly the character models, everything else is fine), and the cel-shaded look of the other series just looks better.
I impulse bought it and it does seem tamer than most anything else so far. It's not really grabbing me much yet, but they're setting up what looks to be a decent story with some fun characters.

I don't mind the look much, it's very colorful and has a consistent visual style. I think their trademark stiffer character model animations actually work really well for this style, although the facial animations, which is usually Telltale's strong suit, is lost here because of it. The faces are very simple, which is part of the aesthetic, but very limiting.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

One thing I've heard about the Minecraft one from a friend of mine is that his kids LOVE it. And it's probably for the same reason that Tycho said on Penny Arcade, that these kids who play Minecraft might not be used to storylines in their favorite game so getting one was just so different that it made a big impact. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the game is a big hit for younger players.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
The Minecraft is really way more aimed at kids than Telltales other recent works.
That said, there are loads of people that don't really get what it is at all. Like, people that are looking for a sophisticated minecraft single player experience and then get this, and leave reviews like "WTF IS THIS poo poo THIS IS JUST A CUTSCENE I CANT EVEN MINE ANYTHING 0/10"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

One thing I've heard about the Minecraft one from a friend of mine is that his kids LOVE it. And it's probably for the same reason that Tycho said on Penny Arcade, that these kids who play Minecraft might not be used to storylines in their favorite game so getting one was just so different that it made a big impact. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the game is a big hit for younger players.

yeah, i played the first episode and it wasnt too bad. it had kinda of a goonies feel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I think if they had made a game like set farther back in westorosi history. like the hedge knight stories in A knight of the seven kingdoms. It could have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think if they had made a game like set farther back in westorosi history. like the hedge knight stories in A knight of the seven kingdoms. It could have been great.

poo poo, just sticking with the adventures of Asher and Breska would have been a great time.

• Locked thread