Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They should introduce a foil who indiscriminately kills bad guys for Catholic Matt to tangle with.

Hey, that sounds like season 2!

Fun fact: Not only is The Punisher Catholic, in just about every version of the character he was going to be a Priest (to varying degrees) before 'nam/"The War." It'll be interesting if they keep that.

And no he didn't stop because of the war, he stopped because he couldn't offer people forgiveness. Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Bones was a decent show for the first three or maybe five years. If Angel had managed so much, maybe it wouldn't have been cancelled.

If by decent you mean full of hilarious and offensive stereotypes and with really obnoxious cliches. My favorite example from the first season:

*Bones and Angel go into a middle-eastern person's home and see a crucifix on the wall* "You're a Christian?!?!"
"Yeah, I converted after I moved to the states!" (because there are no middle-eastern Christians)
later, they search his house again and find his hidden Koran. "Oh my god, he's not a Christian!" and it turns out he is the terrorist.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

If by decent you mean full of hilarious and offensive stereotypes and with really obnoxious cliches. My favorite example from the first season:

*Bones and Angel go into a middle-eastern person's home and see a crucifix on the wall* "You're a Christian?!?!"
"Yeah, I converted after I moved to the states!" (because there are no middle-eastern Christians)
later, they search his house again and find his hidden Koran. "Oh my god, he's not a Christian!" and it turns out he is the terrorist.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a nerd is a fascist weirdo. Just see Avengers for more proof.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a nerd is a fascist weirdo. Just see Avengers for more proof.

What does Bones have to do with Avengers?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zythrst posted:

Hah, I misread and thought it was about Angel (by Joss Whedon). This being a Marvel thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snak posted:

It's a fair Coptic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To be fare I did refer to whatever David Boreanaz's character in Bones's name is as "Angel" in my little anecdote. I just really loving hate Bones. But I have no shame: the exact same romcom police procedural formula starring the male lead from a DIFFERENT Joss Whedon series, Castle, was loving great for like 4 seasons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zythrst posted:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Punisher is really a logical development of the Devil of Hell's Kitchen.

Not only is the natural logical development of DD Season 1 it will inevitably lead to a hilarious revolt where half the internet audience decides Frank is right and Matt's a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

Which is why its kind of extra hilarious they cast Shane from The Walking Dead.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

STAC Goat posted:

Not only is the natural logical development of DD Season 1 it will inevitably lead to a hilarious revolt where half the internet audience decides Frank is right and Matt's a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

Which is why its kind of extra hilarious they cast Shane from The Walking Dead.

Holy crap I didn't think of this at all.

Season 2 just got 100000x better guys

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hah, I misread and thought it was about Angel (by Joss Whedon). This being a Marvel thread.

Still not applicable like at all but great bait, mate.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HIJK posted:

Holy crap I didn't think of this at all.

Season 2 just got 100000x better guys

Yeah this was p. obvious to a lot of DD/Punisher fans the instant they announced he was in Season 2 and doubly so when they cast Shane. The Punisher only ever pops into the DD universe to act as a poo poo-stirrer.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

STAC Goat posted:

Frank is right and Matt's a self righteous rear end in a top hat.
:colbert:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Frank is so right he can't make left turns anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So are there really no in-depth reviews of the first episode of JJ? What the gently caress are you good for internet

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The problem with the end of Episode 13 is that Matt didn't say, "I'm not the bad guy!".

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
A Belgian website got to watch the first 7 episodes (English article): http://www.geekster.be/jessica-jones-gritty-detective-english-preview/

radlum
May 13, 2013

Pennfalath posted:

A Belgian website got to watch the first 7 episodes (English article): http://www.geekster.be/jessica-jones-gritty-detective-english-preview/

Sounds good, but also fairly generic; have so many episodes been made available for critics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radlum posted:

Sounds good, but also fairly generic; have so many episodes been made available for critics?

Typically they show them the first six episodes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

zoux posted:

Typically they show them the first six episodes.

It actually varies from series to series - it was three for Sense8, five for Daredevil, three for Bloodline, and six for Kimmy Schmidt, to name a few.

I'm surprised if they're really making more than half the season available to critics, though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

radlum posted:

I don't think I'd call it generic at all especially considering the medium it's in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Given that I've never heard of that site before and that, AFAIK, no one else in the press is publicly claiming to have watched further than the second episode yet, I'd take that article with a grain of salt, especially given how vague it is.

JJ Twitter appears to be counting down to a trailer in the next few days, though exactly how many are left I'm not sure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/653785292382404609
https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/654129847820615680

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

The article is vague in order to avoid spoilers. I didn't write it, but I am a writer at this site. We received a Netflix Press screener of the first 7 episodes. We were surprised as well (for Narcos, we only got the first three IIRC and we would have posted this article sooner if it had only been 1-3 episodes). Netflix liked our (Dutch) article on Narcos and used one of our lines in their advertising, maybe that's why we got seven episodes. Or maybe we just got lucky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pennfalath posted:

The article is vague in order to avoid spoilers. I didn't write it, but I am a writer at this site. We received a Netflix Press screener of the first 7 episodes. We were surprised as well (for Narcos, we only got the first three IIRC and we would have posted this article sooner if it had only been 1-3 episodes). Netflix liked our (Dutch) article on Narcos and used one of our lines in their advertising, maybe that's why we got seven episodes. Or maybe we just got lucky.

It's good though right?

Also what kind of spoiler/NDA policies do they put you under when they give you access to the screeners?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

I'll ask our writer about the NDA, but I don't think there was one (and Netflix Belgium knew we try not to spoil anything). I haven't seen it yet and I'm burning with jealousy.

In any case, our writer really like the show. As the preview says: more drama than action.

We are a relatively small blog and usually only post in Dutch, but sometimes we get an awesome exclusive and then we translate it in English (we did the same for Jurassic World - not really an exclusive, but we still got many international pageviews).

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pennfalath posted:

Well, huh. Really weird if you're not under embargo, though.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

Well, huh. Really weird if you're not under embargo, though.

embargo was last Monday, and they only sent us the screener on Monday/Thursday, which is why the article was only posted today.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pennfalath posted:

embargo was last Monday, and they only sent us the screener on Monday/Thursday, which is why the article was only posted today.

Well, I dunno if Netflix is inconsistent about their screener delivery/embargos in different territories, or if critics are just choosing to keep their mouths shut, but either way, it's odd that no one else I know of has said anything about receiving a screener, let alone what they think of the first batch of episodes. But not your problem, I suppose.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
cough up the trailer already netflix :mad:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Post JJ, that is to say the modern non blaxplotation version of him, is almost exclusively in team books. He may have had a one shot or mini here and there but I don't think he's had a solo ongoing since the 70s.

He had an ongoing in the early 90s, which lasted 20 issues and I think is mainly notable as one of the few times he's been written by a black writer.

But in the past 15 years or so, I *think* his only solo appearances were in the Azzarello MAX miniseries and the 2010 New Avengers: Luke Cage miniseries.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

cough up the trailer already netflix :mad:

The Twitter seems to be counting down by quoting Tennant's lines from the last teaser, one a night (most nights since last week). When it gets to "I know everything," which should be within the next couple days, they'll probably drop the trailer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I did some comic book reading to get psyched for these shows. I read Immortal Iron Fist, and enjoyed the tournament arc (although I would've liked more actual tournament). The rest was sorta boring, but I'm still enthusiastic about the show.

I also read the first book of Alias. I'm all on board the Jessica Jones bandwagon. I was afraid the MAX gimmick would mean all sex and swearing without any substance, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Luke Cage popped up in both stories, but he seems like a cartoon. Maybe I need to read an actual Cage story, where he's more than a side character.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PerniciousKnid posted:

Luke Cage popped up in both stories, but he seems like a cartoon. Maybe I need to read an actual Cage story, where he's more than a side character.

Look, all you need to do is give him his money, honey.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there any actual Luke Cage comics? I know he's been in Heroes for Hire stuff and been leading his own Avengers team for a while, but has he had any solo stuff in the last decade to go with his new prominence?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Post JJ, that is to say the modern non blaxplotation version of him, is almost exclusively in team books. He may have had a one shot or mini here and there but I don't think he's had a solo ongoing since the 70s.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Where did that Luke comic panel come from, where he picks up a BMW and sets it down on a sidewalk so that it'll stop blocking an ambulance. And he's yelling "WHERE YOU ARE GOING IS NOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHERE THE AMBULANCE IS GOING."

I always thought that was a good intro to Luke. Because he is the best. Ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

tsob posted:

Is there any actual Luke Cage comics? I know he's been in Heroes for Hire stuff and been leading his own Avengers team for a while, but has he had any solo stuff in the last decade to go with his new prominence?

Cage doesn't have much of a solo presence, at least in modern times. He was kind of a pet character for Bendis (who wrote Alias) and so he used him a lot, he became the leader of the New Avengers as you know, which was a decent book but since it isn't MAX it's obviously very PG and because it was one of the mainline books it got caught up in a lot of event nonsense, especially Civil War, so you'll have to wade through some business to get the complete story. There are neat moments though, like how Luke insists that the Avengers focus more on actual street crime instead of just cosmic bullshit, so he has them visiting crime-ridden neighbourhoods and such. Jessica Jones is also a side character here. Like most long-running Bendis books it eventually goes off the deep end and they start introducing wacky subplots like hiring Squirrel Girl to be their babysitter.

You'll probably want to at least read The Pulse which is essentially the sequel to Alias, except it's also not MAX and deals more with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 19, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All you really need to know about Luke Cage is that he once did a job for Dr. Doom, then took a Fantastic 4 jet to Latveria, stormed Doom's castle, broke almost all his Doombots, and then beat the poo poo out of Doom because Doom stiffed Luke Cage the $200 payment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gyges posted:

All you really need to know about Luke Cage is that he once did a job for Dr. Doom, then took a Fantastic 4 jet to Latveria, stormed Doom's castle, broke almost all his Doombots, and then beat the poo poo out of Doom because Doom stiffed Luke Cage the $200 payment.

Marvel not having the rights to Doom is terrible because they can't put this on the big or small screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel not having the rights to Doom is terrible because they can't put this on the big or small screen.

The FF movie got such poo poo reviews that maybe Marvel will be able to regain the rights?