Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

slidebite posted:

I hide it repeatedly and still keeps coming back almost each time I run update.

You'd think they'd take the loving hint. :shepicide:

This is my work computer, assholes. Stop hassling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Since I saw the announcement of the new build, I've checked the last couple of days and haven't gotten it. I did a clean install using the device key and then opt-in to Insider builds via Update but I'm still on the RTM build. Ideas? :confused:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is it me, or is it now impossible to go into a theme and tick which backgrounds you want in the rotation and how long they're shown for?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

Is it me, or is it now impossible to go into a theme and tick which backgrounds you want in the rotation and how long they're shown for?

Open up a command prompt and paste in the following:
control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper
The ability is still there, MS just hid the UI for it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Factor Mystic posted:

It's amazing how much more polished 10565 feels with the colored title bars. Much better.

They should really push that out before November, the eye searing white bars on default dark theme are crazy bad design.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Nice, thank you.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

EoRaptor posted:

That they hid it is dumb and I hope some folks still on the insider track are reporting it as something that needs to have a UI so it shows back up in the regular release without needing to open a command prompt.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to get a copy of the digital entitlement from the Win10 upgrade? A type of "proof of purchase" if you will? If I ever switch motherboards and have to reactivate I'd like to have something better than a screenshot of "Windows 10 is Activated" from my PC.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Switching motherboards is the one thing that windows licenses dont cover at all, so either you have to do before the upgrade time runs out and re-install 7/8, or just straight up buy a license.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Captain Novolin posted:

Switching motherboards is the one thing that windows licenses dont cover at all, so either you have to do before the upgrade time runs out and re-install 7/8, or just straight up buy a license.
Retail licenses can be transferred between computers, no?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inverness posted:

Retail licenses can be transferred between computers, no?
What you get from the free upgrade isn't a retail license.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Magnus Praeda posted:

That they hid it is dumb and I hope some folks still on the insider track are reporting it as something that needs to have a UI so it shows back up in the regular release without needing to open a command prompt.
I don't think it's hidden so much as it's fallen into the cracks during them moving personalisation into the Settings panel rather than the Control Panel. I reported it ages ago but I doubt it's a high priority.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think they're more asking if they already have a retail license they could register on a new mobo?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

I think they're more asking if they already have a retail license they could register on a new mobo?
Buy a Windows 10 retail license, you can move between different hardware like before, yeah.

e: actually, I'm just assuming that, but I haven't heard anything that says that changed.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I know, but I have a retail Windows 8.1 Pro license that I want to use to activate W10.

The first time around I did the upgrade thing when moving to Windows 10. Recently I upgraded my motherboard, naturally invalidating that upgrade license.

I had zero intention of reinstalling W8 and redoing the whole upgrade just to activate again. It was much, much easier to just resort to :filez:

Hopefully the new build will just let me activate with my retail W8 license.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Inverness posted:

Hopefully the new build will just let me activate with my retail W8 license.
:doh: I forgot we were talking about this, so I'm changing my answer to I hope so too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So on the login screen, the virtual keyboard that pops up covers the area where you select which user you want to be.

Similar issue with writing messages in the Facebook app.

I know you can detach and move the keyboard, but this is kind of a lovely solution, is there any way to make it behave nice, or have I just been spoilt by Android?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any way of preventing the Start bar from appearing when you swipe up from the bottom, or otherwise easily disabling edge swiping? It occasionally pops up when I'm drawing with my Surface, so being able to stop it for the duration would be great.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jan posted:

Bing Desktop 1.0
Bing Desktop 1.1
Bing Desktop 1.2
etc.

They have a habit of pushing out multiple versions of things people are trying to avoid.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lum posted:

So on the login screen, the virtual keyboard that pops up covers the area where you select which user you want to be.

Similar issue with writing messages in the Facebook app.

I know you can detach and move the keyboard, but this is kind of a lovely solution, is there any way to make it behave nice, or have I just been spoilt by Android?

Settinga > Ease of Access > Keyboard. You can toggle the onscreen keyboard on and off from there. When it's off, a keyboard button appears on the system tray / notification area. You can tap on that to bring the keyboard up as necessary.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 14, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So, uh, I did something wrong. I upgraded to Win10, but I for some reason all I get is a black screen when I try to log on. Is this a common issue? Will I have to refresh all the way back to Windows 8.0?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

So, uh, I did something wrong. I upgraded to Win10, but I for some reason all I get is a black screen when I try to log on. Is this a common issue? Will I have to refresh all the way back to Windows 8.0?

You can Google that one, there's various possible solutions. For me I was able to open task manager then close and rerun explorer to get the desktop to reappear, then further Windows updates fixed it.

Void Chicken
Jan 13, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Everything I've seen online says that if you upgrade from OEM 7/8, you get OEM 10, and if you upgrade from Retail 7/8, you get Retail 10. So If you had a retail version, then your copy of 10 should be able to activate on a new motherboard.

Windows 10 EULA, section 4b posted:

If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.

Has anyone upgraded from a retail 7/8 been told they can't activate 10 on new hardware?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Void Chicken posted:

Has anyone upgraded from a retail 7/8 been told they can't activate 10 on new hardware?
That's the problem. There's no way to really verify either way since people cheating their oem license and retail key owners have to go through the same procedure to install on new hardware (ie go through the upgrade again) and we're still in the free upgrade period.

Once we'll be able to plug our old retail key into the Windows 10 installer of the regular builds and the free upgrade period is over, we'll be able to tell for sure. We might have strong indications earlier if the first thing comes through, maybe. Like if a retail W7/8 key entered in the installer isn't replaced by the fake key all upgrade installs use currently; something like that.

Certainly hope you're right.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, every time I wake up my laptop, the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon shows up in my system tray. I don't use it much, so I hide it behind the ^. Any idea why it forces itself to show up when the laptop wakes?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

For some reason, every time I wake up my laptop, the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon shows up in my system tray. I don't use it much, so I hide it behind the ^. Any idea why it forces itself to show up when the laptop wakes?

I just set it to not start in Task Manager's statup tab. It doesn't do poo poo other than give me notification that I plugged something in, so no great loss.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

On the new fast ring Windows 10 preview with the built in Skype. I use Skype when playing GTA in friends, and the messaging app mutes Skype when I switch to GTA. And the old Skype app now crashes whenever I try to get in a call.

Anyway to get the audio to work in the background while playing games?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jan posted:

FYI optional updates are not automatically installed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riso posted:

They had a non-optional update not too long ago that was just "installs Get Windows 10 on computers".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Riso posted:

Yeah. But that update is "special" and shows up as a full size "Upgrade to Windows 10 now" that takes over the regular update installation section. You have to click some "Show All Updates" link to bypass it, so I might as well click "Hide this crap" while I'm ahead.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/isos-windows-10-build-10565-pcs-now-available

You can now get ISOs of build 10565.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have my windows update set to check automatically and let me choose when to download/install update.

The windows 10 thing was a big screen I had to click through to get past to show the real update list instead of just the windows 10 upgrader. Then when i clicked it "Windows 10 Pro Upgrade" was listed as an optional update and automatically checked.

The updates marked "important" were still there but unchecked by default.

:bravo:

e: Which update do I have to uninstall to get rid of the win10 upgrader icon? I don't trust it to do nothing anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rahu posted:

I have my windows update set to check automatically and let me choose when to download/install update.

The windows 10 thing was a big screen I had to click through to get past to show the real update list instead of just the windows 10 upgrader. Then when i clicked it "Windows 10 Pro Upgrade" was listed as an optional update and automatically checked.

The updates marked "important" were still there but unchecked by default.

:bravo:

Yes, it's like this on domain-connected computers too. Even if you have WSUS, if you don't disable checking updates from Microsoft, it shows up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why would you even have WSUS if you're going to let people check for Microsoft updates.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Ok quick followup.

I removed KB3035583 per instructions I found on google.

But the windows 10 icon is still there. I can't escape it.

E: After contacting MS support, I guess i had to uninstall it with WUSA because uninstalling it through the normal windows update interface doesn't actually uninstall it.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ghostlight posted:

Why would you even have WSUS if you're going to let people check for Microsoft updates.

Because people really don't. WSUS lets me control what patches I push down and then the system auto installs it. People are lucky if they can change their default printer.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

I'm a full-time home worker. My laptop was set up by IT to only be able to get updates from their server, not from Microsoft.

It only ever sees an update if I visit one of our sites.

Because of this I haven't had a security update in 3 months and since I'm not allowed to get them from Microsoft there's gently caress-all I can do about it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lum posted:

I'm a full-time home worker. My laptop was set up by IT to only be able to get updates from their server, not from Microsoft.

It only ever sees an update if I visit one of our sites.

Because of this I haven't had a security update in 3 months and since I'm not allowed to get them from Microsoft there's gently caress-all I can do about it.

You just made me feel better about my company's IT department, where there is no WSUS.

Have you submitted a ticket yet? :haw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Crotch Fruit posted:

You just made me feel better about my company's IT department, where there is no WSUS.

Have you submitted a ticket yet? :haw:
We have no WSUS. I'm working on it. Garr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Gee, thanks Microsoft for downloading that loving 6 GB Windows 10 updater again! Because me hiding it and turning off automatic updates didn't clue you in beforehand?