Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Wasn't it that Vegeta could have bulked up as much as Trunks did, but he realized that the costs outweighed the benefits?

It wasn't directly shown just that Trunks thinks Vegeta came to that conclusion much like Goku did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gohan didn't think he could possibly kill Frieza.

He knew he could kill Cell.

Not only that but it's established very early on that Gohan naturally holds back while fighting. He does it vs Nappa when Piccolo and Krillin are setting up for a group attack, it takes Piccolo dying for him to cut loose.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not only that but it's established very early on that Gohan naturally holds back while fighting. He does it vs Nappa when Piccolo and Krillin are setting up for a group attack, it takes Piccolo dying for him to cut loose.

He didn't hold back there. He got scared.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kild posted:

He didn't hold back there. He got scared.

He got scared, and therefore held back

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and apparently Krillin and Tien start their own martial arts schools (the New Turtle School and New Crane School respectively, I think) and Trunks/Goten start some school based around using swords.

(I spent a while reading random articles on the DB wiki last night.)

In addition to that, Pan is actually the one who spearheads this change over to lots of people learning Martial Arts in Dragon Ball Online.

Wiki posted:

Age 794

Mr. Satan's granddaughter Pan becomes a martial arts instructor: with customer claims that Mr. Satan's Telecommunicated Satan-style Martial Arts Course is worthless rapidly spreading, disgruntled costumers flood Satan House, prompting Pan to subdue them. The event becomes a big scandal and the Telecommunicated Satan-style Martial Arts Course is then rebranded as the Pan Fighting Network, with Pan as the instructor.
Afterwards, Pan asks Bulma to help her develop a system for people to battle each other across long distances so that she could create a Telecommunicated Martial Arts Dojo. From this point on, the sports-like fighting course became very popular, especially among young people.

Age 796

Mr. Satan's film "Satan Legend" is released. Those influenced by the film began studying how to control their ki from Pan, forming the origin of the present Martial Artist class.

What's more,

Wiki posted:

Age 820

With the Earth in crisis, the heroes of the past gather at Master Roshi's place in order to eradicate the remnants of Frieza's soldiers.

The ones who ultimately defeat the Frieza's soldiers are Krillin, Tien Shinhan, and their comrades—the heroes of the past. In order to hide their identities, the warriors put on Saiyaman-like costumes, but their ki-based fighting style still becomes a hot topic and global interest in "ki" escalates.

Incidentally, at this time Tien Shinhan is 87 years old, Krillin is 84, Gohan is 63, Trunks is 54, Goten is 53, and Pan is 41.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You are now picturing 87 year old Tien in a Saiyaman outfit.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Frankly, I'm surprised he made it to 87 with those tumors on his shoulders, not to mention all the years of his life he must have obliterated using the Tribeam on Cell over and over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aren't Vegeta and Goku supposed to be dead of old age for like 20 years by that point?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Aurain posted:

Aren't Vegeta and Goku supposed to be dead of old age for like 20 years by that point?

quote:

Age 801

Goku goes missing: realizing his death is imminent and wanting to settle their rivalry, Goku leaves the Earth with Vegeta for a final battle. Years later, a supernova explosion is detected; it is assumed to be from Goku and Vegeta's battle.
At that point Goku and Vegeta are 64 and 69, respectively.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It makes me sad to think that Goku died so young for some reason, even if he went out the way he wanted, fighting to death with his rival for years on end.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aurain posted:

It makes me sad to think that Goku died so young for some reason, even if he went out the way he wanted, fighting to death with his rival for years on end.

Aang also died in his sixties. Maybe 60 is the natural lifespan of male kids cartoon heroes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku already had a heart condition, it's honestly quite sensible.

Vegeta probably could have lived to 100 but he wasn't about to let Kakarott beat him to dying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Vegeta probably could have lived to 100 but he wasn't about to let Kakarott beat him to dying.

Goku probably did end up beating him to death however, knowing Vegeta's luck with that kind of thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Maybe DBH can pull out a "Cyborg Goku", eliminating the need for his weak mortal heart.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

No, he had contracted a virus, which was cured, so it shouldn't have any effect on his future health.

It's funny that they even had to gather together to defeat the Frieza soldiers. Presumably there would be no one left stronger than, like, Zarbon. Gohan/Goten/Trunks should have been able to easily solo all of them.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Ytlaya posted:

No, he had contracted a virus, which was cured, so it shouldn't have any effect on his future health.

IRL, strep throat can seriously gently caress your heart up.
:goonsay:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Infections can gently caress you up

Mogomra posted:

IRL, strep throat can seriously gently caress your heart up.
:goonsay:

That's bacterial but yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just saying that if you have a virus that almost kills you and leaves you screaming and in agony for days you're probably not going to come out of it without long-term damage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying that if you have a virus that almost kills you and leaves you screaming and in agony for days you're probably not going to come out of it without long-term damage.

In a relevant and very recent real world example right now, a British nurse who had Ebola in December '14/Jan '15 who survived and was given the all clear got re-admitted this weekend with symptoms of it again. She'll have had basically any and all experimental treatments available at this time. Even if your body fights off a virus with medicines or without, it's always possible you could suffer from it again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny that they even had to gather together to defeat the Frieza soldiers. Presumably there would be no one left stronger than, like, Zarbon. Gohan/Goten/Trunks should have been able to easily solo all of them.

Yes. This is outright stated in the movie. Freeza points out that Gohan could beat all of his soldiers, alone, and far faster than they are. The entire point is that they don't want to, they're stalling for Goku, since everyone together are still nowhere near a match for Freeza.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Maybe Goku would have future heart issues...if he didn't die (that hole in his chest was healed the first time he died ) and was given his life back by a deity of the universe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes. This is outright stated in the movie. Freeza points out that Gohan could beat all of his soldiers, alone, and far faster than they are. The entire point is that they don't want to, they're stalling for Goku, since everyone together are still nowhere near a match for Freeza.

Also that Gohan is purposely not killing any of them which is slowing him down quite a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cozz posted:

Maybe Goku would have future heart issues...if he didn't die (that hole in his chest was healed the first time he died ) and was given his life back by a deity of the universe.

I don't think that being revived from the dead actually fixes long-term health conditions. Frieza was still in pieces after all. Just... alive pieces. Plus I don't think you can be revived from 'natural' death.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
goku will live forever...in our hearts. thanks and kami bless

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought nothing ever dies. Won't we just rise again?

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Do Goku's 7-8 years of being dead count towards his age?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Goku has lived his life fighting stronger and stronger people. He dies the second he truly becomes strongest in the multiverse. Or, at least, he won't have any reason to be alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Goku has lived his life fighting stronger and stronger people. He dies the second he truly becomes strongest in the multiverse. Or, at least, he won't have any reason to be alive.

But what if Frieza trains for NINE months?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think I'm done with DragonTeam because they're full of lovely ideas like calling them sage beans and Yamucha and Kuririn because THAT'S JAPANESE :supaburn:. It's not worth waiting a million weeks for "good" subs

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Aurora posted:

sage beans

Hahaha

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Then he might reach a power level of...TWO POINT NINE MILLIONS

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no but if you call them senzu beans that's like calling them sage bean beans

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

1: What does our naming conventions have to do with anything in this context?
2: How is using the most logical spellings given the origin of the characters' names a bad thing?
3: We do that in the show too.
4: You do realize that, since "senzu" is made up of the kanji for "sage" and "bean", using "senzu bean" basically means calling it the "sage bean bean"?
5: Again, why are you talking as if ANY of this has any relevance to our removing Resurrection F? We took it down because we felt releasing the movie for free just DAYS after the movie was officially made available, both dubbed and in Japanese with subtitles, on iTunes, was crossing a border which in hindsight we really shouldn't have crossed.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

takin my nimbus cloud to the turtle house to drink frothing mugs of water

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

ImpAtom posted:

That was a sort of ridiculous plot point in RoF. If Freeza could surpass every DBZ enemy they'd ever faced and almost match Goku at his most powerful thus far after only a couple months of training then Freeza is simply broken as a character. A year of training would make him Whis levels of power. So by the logic of that movie Freeza is literally the most powerful being in existence, at least potentially.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't know why you care, training is just a plot device. Goku increased his power by like 50x in a week during the original Namek arc

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I thought nothing ever dies. Won't we just rise again?

Don't Look Don't Look Goku's Dead Now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Esroc posted:

That was a sort of ridiculous plot point in RoF. If Freeza could surpass every DBZ enemy they'd ever faced and almost match Goku at his most powerful thus far after only a couple months of training then Freeza is simply broken as a character. A year of training would make him Whis levels of power. So by the logic of that movie Freeza is literally the most powerful being in existence, at least potentially.

RoF, much like many other DBZ stories, is about arrogance. Frieza assumed that simply because he had the potential to be most powerful being in existence that he currently was after minimal amounts of training. He would probably be stronger than Goku had he gotten a grasp on his Golden Form, but he didn't, and that fact was exploited against him.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think that being revived from the dead actually fixes long-term health conditions. Frieza was still in pieces after all. Just... alive pieces. Plus I don't think you can be revived from 'natural' death.

I doubt Toriyama really thought about it all that much. It really depends on what properties keeping your dead body has in the Otherworld, and also what happens when you're not wished back to life but given life. Going off of previous Dragon Ball Deaths where the characters were disintegrated(Krillan on Namek, Chaotzu against Nappa), and wished back to life, I think Frezia should have been brought back in his normal form. I haven't seen Revival of F yet to see if that's explained better on why Frezia was also brought back in pieces when he was wished back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It used to be a big deal that one's body be preserved so that it could be wished back to life, and that got dropped hard.

• Locked thread