Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

What on earth made you think that Duncan would be an internet libertarian? Much less the confrontational/ranting/internet libertarian type?

Everything he's ever done paints him as a mild mannered and well intentioned High School history teacher who just wants kids to learn about cool/interesting poo poo that happened.

Because he's a white male history nerd on the internet. If you haven't noticed, they tend to have a libertarian streak to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

icantfindaname posted:

Because he's a white male history nerd on the internet. If you haven't noticed, they tend to have a libertarian streak to them

Of course. Why bother analyzing his work and what he's actually said when we can just apply broad stereotypes? Obvious, really. :rolleyes:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

icantfindaname posted:

Have you even bothered listening to any of his podcasts or did you just search his name on tumblr?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I admittedly haven't listened to much of History of Rome, but I think Mike does a pretty good job at keeping his personal biases out of the story. The only real stand-out editorialising I can easily recall him doing is canonising Talleyrand ("one of my all time favourite guys"), and really going to town on Marxist interpretations of the French revolution. And I think he's pretty clear that for all the noble spirit of the revolution, it ultimately turned out to be a 15 year period of massive upheaval that ended in much the same place as it started - with an unelected ruler wielding ultimate authority.

Mike might be a crazy raving internet libertarian, I don't know him so I can't say. But as long as he keeps his personal opinions out of his work (and I think he does that pretty well), who really cares?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He went to town on Marxist interpretations in the first episode and then the entire 50 whatever episodes were about class warfare. So. Lets see what he says in his wrap up show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Except he's not a libertarian, from what I can tell.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

This one is pretty easy to figure this out: he confused Mike Duncan with Dan Carlin and is (poorly) trying to save face

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I misread it as 'internet librarian' and thought this was about hatred against people who read Wikipedia for their history podcasts.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

webmeister posted:

And I think he's pretty clear that for all the noble spirit of the revolution, it ultimately turned out to be a 15 year period of massive upheaval that ended in much the same place as it started - with an unelected ruler wielding ultimate authority.
Just because the ancien regime and Napoleonic France were both monarchies doesn't mean the Revolution was pointless. French society was transformed in countless ways, mostly for the better, and Napolean's rule didn't last any longer than the many other forms of government France went through in the 19th century.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

webmeister posted:

I admittedly haven't listened to much of History of Rome, but I think Mike does a pretty good job at keeping his personal biases out of the story. The only real stand-out editorialising I can easily recall him doing is canonising Talleyrand ("one of my all time favourite guys"), and really going to town on Marxist interpretations of the French revolution. And I think he's pretty clear that for all the noble spirit of the revolution, it ultimately turned out to be a 15 year period of massive upheaval that ended in much the same place as it started - with an unelected ruler wielding ultimate authority.

Mike might be a crazy raving internet libertarian, I don't know him so I can't say. But as long as he keeps his personal opinions out of his work (and I think he does that pretty well), who really cares?

I don't actually mind personal opinions in my history podcasts. I like them. I enjoy agreeing and disagreeing with them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Have you even bothered listening to any of his podcasts or did you just search his name on tumblr?

i've listened to the whole revolutions series dude, and posted here that i didn't detect any bias in them. you must have read that post, you responded to it. and lol @ the tumblr comment

you seem very touchy about libertarian history nerds on the internet being called out for having poo poo views

The Experiment posted:

This one is pretty easy to figure this out: he confused Mike Duncan with Dan Carlin and is (poorly) trying to save face

icantfindaname posted:

I have a very low tolerance for internet libertarian stuff, and Duncan doesn't give off any of it / at least enough of it to bother me. I was surprised by how positive on the revolutionaries he was. As for the monarchy, the Ancien Regime isn't actually liked by libertarians, so there's no contradiction there

it's cool how any comment even vaguely critical of the kind of far-right Ron Paul style libertarianism rampant on the internet, in nerd circles, and among history nerds specifically, even one explicitly saying Duncan isn't that and praising him for it, gets people crawling out of the woodwork to scream about tumblr

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 13, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Who are you raging against? I don't get it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how any comment even vaguely critical of the kind of far-right Ron Paul style libertarianism rampant on the internet, in nerd circles, and among history nerds specifically, even one explicitly saying Duncan isn't that and praising him for it, gets people crawling out of the woodwork to scream about tumblr

Lemme see if I can help you out, dude. No one in this thread was saying "Hey, is Mike Duncan a crazed Internet Libertarian?" before you showed up to answer the question that no one was asking, and the fact that you decided to throw in a sweeping generalization about how All Internet Libertarians Are History Nerds And Therefore By The Transitive Property or whatever was kind of a headscratcher. It makes you look sort of silly. Hope this helps.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So the pattern of posts was people discussing whether or not Duncan was pro-monarchy or at least anti-revolutionary. Icantfindaname then comments that he didn't seem to be particularly libertarian either, which was relevant because it is another anti-revolutionary ideology. It even came with a little disclaimer at the end where icant acknowledged libertarians weren't really pro-monarchy either, just anti-revolutionary. Then we have a few pages of people being angry at icant's sorta poorly worded first post, and instead of realizing he might need to explain icant decides that this is a clear sign that everyone in the thread is a libertarian. Is this what we've got here?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

you seem very touchy about libertarian history nerds on the internet being called out for having poo poo views

I'm very touchy about people trying to poo poo talk Mike Duncan.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Duncan's clearly a dyed in the wool Optimate, you retards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Napoleon was dope, I bet Duncan would agree

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Mike Duncan is like a boxer.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

How are u posted:

Yeah but is he an internet libertarian boxer?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Again, and again, and again, and again

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

How are u posted:

A heavyweight boxer, to be precise. It's always heavyweights and they're always at the end of their ropes.

I went back and listened to the punic wars series and laughed out loud when he pulled out the heavyweight boxing championship match metaphor for what may have been the first time when talking about rome vs carthage

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

A heavyweight boxer, to be precise. It's always heavyweights and they're always at the end of their ropes.

I went back and listened to the punic wars series and laughed out loud when he pulled out the heavyweight boxing championship match metaphor for what may have been the first time when talking about rome vs carthage

Nah he's always done the boxing metaphors. Over the last few months I've listened to the entire HH series and there's literally a "punch drunk boxer" metaphor 10 minutes into the second episode.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
And that man's name was...Adolf Hitler.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
A simply unlucky roll of the monarchy dice, folks.

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015
The best is in Blueprint for armageddon, when America enters WWI is like a third boxer entering the ring

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Really hoping he covers the Macedonian Funeral Games in more depth just so I can get like 12 boxers at once.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

ArnieD posted:

The best is in Blueprint for armageddon, when America enters WWI is like a third boxer entering the ring

*in uncannily accurate Kaiser Wilhelm voice*

MEIN GOTT, THAT'S UNCLE SAM'S MUSIC!!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
He should do a combat sports episode and make constant war metaphors.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Are there any podcasts on 20th century history after WWII? Like wars in Indochina, Algeria, Vietnam?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any podcasts on 20th century history after WWII? Like wars in Indochina, Algeria, Vietnam?

Dan Carlin does talk a lot about the wars of the later 20th century in Common Sense, but they aren't the same kind of indepth organized episodes as you get from Hardcore History, just a lot of spread out choice bits often drowned out by the conspiratorially minded interpretation of current events.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else listen to Millennial? I'm hate listening to it now, and I kinda want to slap the body and get boyfriend for being a spoiled Millennial who has had it super easy in the year or two since she graduated college. She turned down a plum internship, she went in a totally different direction from her degree, and she's been all weepy about how its not magically coming to her. then, when she actually did make a move, she just started begging for jobs, rather than networking the smart way and asking for advice and guidance. Now she has a podcast sponsor (Squarespace! Shock of shocks!), and she's trying to get NPR backing despite her update schedule being a 20 minute podcast every month or two.

She's really exactly what people complain about when complaining about millennialism. and for context, I'm a Millennial too. It took me 4 years to find a decent paying job in my region, and I worked for it. This viewpoint that she has drives me crazy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Bohemian Nights posted:

Is this the same as being on the ropes?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Also I got a great vibe off Duncan early in the American Revolution series where he goes "the entire rhetoric of the American founding fathers is irrelevant due to how they treated blacks and natives", he was pretty strong and unequivocal about it. I'm pretty sure to be an Internet Libertarian you have to love the founding fathers, that feels required.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone listened to History on Fire? Just checked out the first episode today (only two episodes as of yet) on The Slave/Servile Wars in Rome, and have been enjoying it so far.

The host is an Italian history professor, and the podcast falls somewhere between the spectrum of Carlin and Duncan in tone and depth of information, probably closer to HH than HoR in length and presentation.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Anyone listened to History on Fire? Just checked out the first episode today (only two episodes as of yet) on The Slave/Servile Wars in Rome, and have been enjoying it so far.

The host is an Italian history professor, and the podcast falls somewhere between the spectrum of Carlin and Duncan in tone and depth of information, probably closer to HH than HoR in length and presentation.

I haven't heard his new podcast but Daniele Bolelli is really knowledgeable and pretty entertaining.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cervixalot posted:

It's fun, just listened to the first episode. Like his accent.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
''

I guess I'm sold. Will check this out later.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was put off by the Joe Rogan connection and getting into the accent initially (as well as the "everyone has been a slave and slave owner, man" implication), but it's pretty smooth getting into and I'm excited to hear him go into the non-Spartacus servile wars.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol yeah, I was like "Joe Rogan?!" and several alarm bells went off in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Just gonna second this quote from the True Stories thread and recommend the poo poo out of Detective:

Wake_N_Bake posted:

This is half story telling, half crime, but Detective is loving fascinating. Joe Kenda, retired homicide lieutenant, tells stories from his time on the force. He has a wonderful voice and narrative style, I highly recommend it!

This is the guy. Good stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6dR2xto3o

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 26, 2015