Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Pam Ward was and presumably still is really bad, but she did improve a shitload around the time they pulled her from Noon Big Ten duty. Beth Mowins is really boring but otherwise is fine.

Beth Mowins is ok only for the time she accidentally refereed to Trevor Siemian as "Trevor Semen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For a while I thought Pam Ward and Beth Mowins were the same person, because they have similar voices and Beth just took Pam's spot on the lovely noon game tour.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Literally everyone except me (Pam Ward Number 1 Superfan) thought that for a solid like three years after they made the switch. You will still see people occasionally think it's Pam in the gdts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd take Beth Mowins over Mike Patrick every day of the week. poo poo I'd take Pam Ward over Mike Patrick. gently caress, I'd take Larry Munson right now over Mike Patrick.

I think I'm Mike Patrick's lone fan in TFF

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What's Pam up to these days, anyway? Is she retired or just doing smaller college sports for ESPNU or whatever?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Didn't she get fired?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Katie Nolan spits hot fire on Greg Hardy. She's really good.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/36dfa825-dc1c-415e-9a71-0010f5ef5745

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think I'm Mike Patrick's lone fan in TFF

I'm also a Mike Patrick fan. Probably because he was the PBP voice for that NCAA baseball game EA put out after losing MLB.

And a local morning show was talking about female commentators in sports yesterday. It was as disgusting as you might think. It blows my mind that people care this much about a woman calling a game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

I'm also a Mike Patrick fan. Probably because he was the PBP voice for that NCAA baseball game EA put out after losing MLB.

And a local morning show was talking about female commentators in sports yesterday. It was as disgusting as you might think. It blows my mind that people care this much about a woman calling a game.

http://www.si.com/cauldron/2015/09/27/twitter-threats-vile-remarks-women-sports-journalists

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I saw that either here out in the journalism thread. My comment was in reference to this as well. People can be really disgusting :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

What's Pam up to these days, anyway? Is she retired or just doing smaller college sports for ESPNU or whatever?

She does softball and women's basketball I think.

zakharov posted:

Katie Nolan spits hot fire on Greg Hardy. She's really good.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/36dfa825-dc1c-415e-9a71-0010f5ef5745

She is such a weird fit for that network with the way they're going but that show has to cost like 20 bucks to produce so hopefully no one notices and she gets to just keep being her.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

She was joking that her weekly production budget is under $300 a few days ago

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MourningView posted:

She is such a weird fit for that network with the way they're going but that show has to cost like 20 bucks to produce so hopefully no one notices and she gets to just keep being her.

I'm fairly certain the only reason she has that show is because Simmons tried to poach her from FS1. It forced them to do something with he beyond her YouTube channel. And good for Nolan, I think she's great and deserves all the success in the world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did anyone listen to PFT Commenter on Sirius? There's a podcast of it available via Opie Radio as well.

I think it's really weird mostly. Some of the jokes are pretty funny and the satire of sports radio is spot on but I think much of the magic is lost without his writing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Simmons will be on WFAN with Francessa at 4 Eastern tomorrow.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I'm fairly certain the only reason she has that show is because Simmons tried to poach her from FS1. It forced them to do something with he beyond her YouTube channel. And good for Nolan, I think she's great and deserves all the success in the world.

I wonder if she would have been better off taking less money and going to Grantland. Short term financial hit but long term she'd have gotten much more exposure. Does FS1 even advertise her show?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Niwrad posted:

I wonder if she would have been better off taking less money and going to Grantland. Short term financial hit but long term she'd have gotten much more exposure. Does FS1 even advertise her show?

I really don't think she'd be getting more exposure on Grantland. They do a horrible job promoting the video stuff they do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

Considering her big champion, Simmons, got bounced from ESPN not long after; I think she made the right call to stay put.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

She also gets a decent amount of promotion from FS1, and they've recently granted her online-only content to go with her show that they promote through their twitter.

She's had a pretty big rise the last couple of years, so it's hard to say she's made a misstep so far.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did anyone listen to PFT Commenter on Sirius? There's a podcast of it available via Opie Radio as well.

I think it's really weird mostly. Some of the jokes are pretty funny and the satire of sports radio is spot on but I think much of the magic is lost without his writing.

I found it mostly enjoyable, but I fear the day is coming where his bit runs out of steam.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

davecrazy posted:

Simmons will be on WFAN with Francessa at 4 Eastern tomorrow.
So Simmons announced that they are doing a Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm down with this

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

FlamingLiberal posted:

As in an actual 30 for 30 or Simmons producing his own documentaries for HBO?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They'd better visit FrancesaCon, the one day celebration of New Yawk's Numbah One/noted Michael Kay hatefest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groucho Marxist posted:

As in an actual 30 for 30 or Simmons producing his own documentaries for HBO?
An actual 30 for 30

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The whole interview is here:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/mike-francesa-bill-simmons-hbo/

I'm not surprised Simmons wants to do a Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30. He even did a live blog once:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060512

e: Simmons found out he was fired via twitter

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 14, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

The whole interview is here:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/mike-francesa-bill-simmons-hbo/

I'm not surprised Simmons wants to do a Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30. He even did a live blog once:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060512

e: Simmons found out he was fired via twitter

He joins the legions of Twitter employees who were fired via Twitter

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I thought the craziest thing in the interview (I missed the first part) was Francesa offered Bill Simmons a co-hosting gig when Mad Dog left.

I wonder how long that partnership would have lasted

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

I thought the craziest thing in the interview (I missed the first part) was Francesa offered Bill Simmons a co-hosting gig when Mad Dog left.

I wonder how long that partnership would have lasted

Oh my god that is a radio show I would honest to god listen to every single day. It would be a hilarious train wreck if nothing else.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Simmons talked about that more then once in the past.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Some 300-350 ESPN people are being laid off starting today. Here's their spin:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/174517-2/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
ESPN seemed like a godawful place to work during the boom times and I can't imagine being there now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yep, this reports says the atmosphere is bad:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/10/22/Media/ESPN-cuts.aspx

Also of interest, Universal Sports (that Olympic sports-all the time channel) is shutting down:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://deadspin.com/the-pitcher-who-couldnt-lose-1736262596

A Good Article about Bronson Arroyo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Universal is one of those stations from the era where you could just put a channel on with HD content and it didn't matter what the content was and they never really changed. I'm surprised it didn't go away five years ago.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rick posted:

Universal is one of those stations from the era where you could just put a channel on with HD content and it didn't matter what the content was and they never really changed. I'm surprised it didn't go away five years ago.

It was also one of those digital subchannels you could get with over the air tv until they decided to go cable-only. But in any case, it looks like NBC will find some way to air their programming elsewhere.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Also of interest, Universal Sports (that Olympic sports-all the time channel) is shutting down:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

That's a bummer. I liked their coverage of Olympic sports, especially now that NBC is committed to loving up coverage of the actual Olympics. Do hope they keep showing some of that stuff on NBC Sundays.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Looks like ESPN is pretty much banking on "show it, and they will watch", even if the production quality sucks poo poo. They're letting go tons of production and tech people, which means their quality is probably going to stagnate. They'll probably be fine for a while, but eventually everyone will pass them by. Either that, or everyone is going to get lean as hell and sports broadcasting will slowly start to suck as they try to keep doing the minimal possible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Looks like ESPN is pretty much banking on "show it, and they will watch", even if the production quality sucks poo poo. They're letting go tons of production and tech people, which means their quality is probably going to stagnate. They'll probably be fine for a while, but eventually everyone will pass them by. Either that, or everyone is going to get lean as hell and sports broadcasting will slowly start to suck as they try to keep doing the minimal possible.

Production doesn't matter much when apparently all their audience wants is more fantasy bullshit and HOT TAEKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

They should try and be Netflix but for sports. And live.

Pay 10 a month and stream sports on your computer or TV. Obviously baseball and stuff might not bite because they've horned in on that stuff themselves but I think it could work for things like College Football and everything else.