Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Had the idea for this thread last night when I was making some penne and realized i didn't have any more grated cheese. What I did however was have a box of cheeze-its kicking around and so i decided to grind them up and give that a whirl.

I have to admit it was...better than expected.

Anyway, I think this could be a pretty fun and informative tips and tricks type thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I use mostly applesauce instead of butter in a lot of baking recipes, esp muffins. Through this i hope to prolong the lives and health of the ppl i love and cook for, though i could probably accomplish this better by never cooking for them

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

whoflungpoop posted:

I use mostly applesauce instead of butter in a lot of baking recipes, esp muffins. Through this i hope to prolong the lives and health of the ppl i love and cook for, though i could probably accomplish this better by never cooking for them

I don't honestly see how applesauce and butter could be remotely interchangeable unless we're talking like, a food fight.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fetus Tree posted:

I don't honestly see how applesauce and butter could be remotely interchangeable unless we're talking like, a food fight.

It's actually pretty common. I replace the oil with an equal amount of applesauce when doing lazy box mix cakes or brownies. It makes really nice dense box brownies that aren't oily at all, and you can't taste the apples or anything. Then, to make up for the calories lost, I add in extra chocolate chips.

If i'm making stuff from scratch though, I use legit butter and eggs.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Thread already delivers since I genuinely thought that was a joke :stare:

Well thats pretty cool

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ever need brown sugar and don't have it? Buy molasses. It keeps forever and you can mix it in with regular sugar to make brown sugar. If you know this it's obvious, if you don't it's a huge :aaa: moment.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Ever need brown sugar and don't have it? Buy molasses. It keeps forever and you can mix it in with regular sugar to make brown sugar. If you know this it's obvious, if you don't it's a huge :aaa: moment.

You just have to get the ratio right. Light or dark brown sugar? Too little or too much? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mushrooms! If something like soup or stew calls for fresh portabellos, gently caress THAT. I have DRIED. I buy them by the pound in the asian grocer. Dried mushrooms have a shelf life of basically infinite if kept sealed and dried. I re-hydrate them in whatever's complimentary to the dish, and they are little nommy sponges of intense flavor.

Does not work so great in salads or baked goods.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Replace sugar and fats in cakes with dates.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can use whipped bean juice to replace eggs and to do lots of other stuff. Yes, I'm serious.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chickpea brine makes very good meringue. Blew my socks off. Also very convenient since you don't have to separate a lot of eggs, and find ways to use lots of egg yolks.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Happy Hat posted:

Replace sugar and fats in cakes with dates.

wont eating too many dates make your poop sick?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
no but youll be compared unfavorably with jeffrey dahmer

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can use whipped bean juice to replace eggs and to do lots of other stuff. Yes, I'm serious.

I don't buy canned beans, because they're not that cheap here, but has anyone done it with the water left over from pressure cooking dried beans? I guess the liquid would have to be reduced, but by how much I'm not sure.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tried. I think the peas/beans must be left in the water a coupla days at least.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
I have kind of a weird/dumb question, does anyone here have experience cooking on a glass top stove? Our old stove died last week and we picked up a glass top stove at habitat for humanity. It looks nice but it feels like it doesn't heat food evenly? Also I have a shitload of old cast iron and I was told I can't use it on a glass top, so I've been cooking on a hot plate. :smith:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Yatsuha posted:

I have kind of a weird/dumb question, does anyone here have experience cooking on a glass top stove? Our old stove died last week and we picked up a glass top stove at habitat for humanity. It looks nice but it feels like it doesn't heat food evenly? Also I have a shitload of old cast iron and I was told I can't use it on a glass top, so I've been cooking on a hot plate. :smith:

It's basically a very fast-responding electric stove. With a glass top that can shatter. Cast iron works fine, there's just a very very good chance you'll gently caress up the glass.

My mother loved them because they clean up easy, but they're terrible in basically every other way, barely better than a standard electric.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back

Test Pattern posted:

It's basically a very fast-responding electric stove. With a glass top that can shatter. Cast iron works fine, there's just a very very good chance you'll gently caress up the glass.

My mother loved them because they clean up easy, but they're terrible in basically every other way, barely better than a standard electric.

The glass was already kind of fucky since whoever had this stove before had some weird pots and pans with grooves that kinda got burned into it. :j:
I guess for stir-fry and poo poo I'm used to cooking on gas/electric that I'm not too sure with I'll keep using my hot plate, thanks for the reply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Glass ranges work just fine for probably 95% of kitchens

• Locked thread