Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The thing I like about V2 is that with pops and everything it feels like I'm running an actual nation. I can never get into EU4 because even with all the expansions it still just feels like my only goal is to paint the map the color I picked at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Sindai posted:

We've got like 10 weeks before the end of the year, that's plenty of time. And they're already doing full feature dev diaries and streams so it can't be that far off.

Or maybe the real problem is just that they haven't come up with a catchy name yet.

They've basically got to name this one Leviathan, right? The domestic politics emphasis kinda demands it. Maybe The Prince but that doesn't sound as good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

thatdarnedbob posted:

They've basically got to name this one Leviathan, right? The domestic politics emphasis kinda demands it. Maybe The Prince but that doesn't sound as good.

They should go the whole hog and call it Two Treatises of Government: In the Former, The False Principles, and Foundation of Sir Robert Filmer, and His Followers, Are Detected and Overthrown. The Latter Is an Essay Concerning The True Original, Extent, and End of Civil Government.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The name also has to lead in to a horrible pun or joke Johan can add to the Comet Sighted event. Leviathan definitely allows for a "space monster" option.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

Someone did ask for an 1821 start (Not really Victorian, but better than playing those 15 years in EU IV).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Just be honest about what we're doing and use Arithmetica Universalis.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Back To 99 posted:

Sssh. No. They'll make hourly ticks like HOI, and no one will get past 1850.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Back To 99 posted:

"Long 19th Century 3" isn't a very catchy title though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Bort Bortles posted:

I figured they were waiting to announce it so they could sell it for full price right before Christmas, since they sell so many things on sale around then.

I doubt it, though that's without any backing. Why would you throw down a full price game when there's a lot of other poo poo on sale to compete with? I don't think Steam-games make good Chirstmas presents for the fam.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I've actually made purchases on christmas day for the last few years via steam, I get money then, and its hella convenient.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Back To 99 posted:

1748 Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle to 2048 Rise of Immortan Joe :colbert:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we need rome 2 before victoria 3 hth

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Sindai posted:

Or maybe the real problem is just that they haven't come up with a catchy name yet.

The Madness of Crowds?

The Comet event options alone are limitless.

*edit* It's off by a couple decades, but that's nothing compared to Art of War's couple millenia.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 13, 2015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MilkmanLuke posted:

The Madness of Crowds?

The Comet event options alone are limitless.

*edit* It's off by a couple decades, but that's nothing compared to Art of War's couple millenia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War_(Machiavelli)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I certainly have no idea how valuable forts were to 1800s army strategy- but I'm guessing less important that in prior centuries- but I'd also probably prefer the EUIV fort defense system for provinces. Then at least I could figure out roughly where people will attack, as opposed to everything feeling like just one open mess of space.

Seeing as how "EuIV fort defense system" is from MoTE its pretty fitting for the period, and might even simulate Verdun etc.Tech might change how much you have to invest / how tight the line of forts have to be (until its not really worth it).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kavak posted:

Someone did ask for an 1821 start (Not really Victorian, but better than playing those 15 years in EU IV).

I think it's important that Victoria X starts with a "clean" new world where the revolts that are going to happen have already happened, instead of spain still retaining the intent to reclaim its american holdings, so no 1836 really should stay the Vicky start date.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Estates General

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's important that Victoria X starts with a "clean" new world where the revolts that are going to happen have already happened, instead of spain still retaining the intent to reclaim its american holdings, so no 1836 really should stay the Vicky start date.

If EU IV can find a way to represent very early railroads and industrialization (Maybe have manufactories give a % bonus to production income overall or something to make them actually worth building), I'll agree. I understand your problem with the clusterfuck most of America would be, but I don't want Paradox to cut out any years, especially since they're willing to sell converter tools now. Besides, they can always keep the 1836 and later start dates :v:.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
I was thinking 1821 could just be an optional converter start, not the new default. 1836 does make more sense for a vanilla campaign.

I would like to see factions and political parties modelled as actual entities though, with distinct characteristics, AI, and goals. Revolutions are one of the most hypothetically interesting things about Vicky 2, but they often play out in a super obnoxious way. It'd be neat if you could actually align yourself with a specific faction/party and had to negotiate and compromise with the others, instead of just running your country in a totally counter-intuitive way to shift popular ideology around.

Basically there's elements from every newer Paradox game that I think would serve as a good starting model for building a Vicky 3. I wouldn't want to see it just turned into another Eu4 though. I agree that I like having a better sense of what my nation is and about in practical terms, whereas Eu4 is abstracted to the point where I don't really get that same flavour/emergent story sense. Also I think industrialization and economic management is fun even despite all it's flaws. I like building supply chains, and having my diplomatic wrangling and conquests be informed by practical economic concerns as opposed to just "What's the next richest bit of map I can get away with painting my colour." I wish trade goods in Eu4 had more of an impact on the game.

I'd also like to see naval combat and bases reworked to be more strategic, and so that key ports and bases become more important. Honestly in general Eu4 and Vicky need to make it more difficult to project power overseas.

Of course all this fantasizing doesn't count for much since Stellaris and HoI4 both aren't even out yet and I don't think Victoria has ever really been a big hit for the studio.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
V2 made them money, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Chief Savage Man posted:

V2 made them money, though.

Yeah, but not enough, right? I remember reading some post by someone in this thread at some point saying it wasn't as much as expected, even if it was profitable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but not enough, right? I remember reading some post by someone in this thread at some point saying it wasn't as much as expected, even if it was profitable.

Other way around. Wester had made a bet that if V2 turned a profit he'd shave his head. He lost spectacularly because V2 made more than just a profit.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

YF-23 posted:

Other way around. Wester had made a bet that if V2 turned a profit he'd shave his head. He lost spectacularly because V2 made more than just a profit.

Well poo poo I stand corrected. This is good news.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

YF-23 posted:

Ahhh. Well, that's pretty awesome then!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mans posted:

we need rome 2 before victoria 3 hth

Why not both? Alt-history industrial revolution in Roman times.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pdox once again screws with history by refusing to accept the technological implications of the aeliopile.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why not both? Alt-history industrial revolution in Roman times.

Aeolipile Universalis.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yes, Steam... EUIV and CKII DO have the 'simulation' keyword.

But I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

:stare:

EDIT: This is because I bought the Way of Life DLC, isn't it?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the first three are legitimately good suggestions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fintilgin posted:

Yes, Steam... EUIV and CKII DO have the 'simulation' keyword.

But I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

:stare:

EDIT: This is because I bought the Way of Life DLC, isn't it?

Whenever I go on a Shogun Total War binge Steam starts recommending anime games

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

to be fair shogun is pretty anime

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

I thought Steam recommended anime to everyone all the time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I thought Steam recommended anime to everyone all the time.

The venn diagram of nerds who make bad decisions with their money and anime likers has an extremely large overlap.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
When I bought and tried out Overgrowth, I started getting suggestions for 'Furry' games. Story Driven also returns some insane nonsense.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Sorry for derailing anime chat, but are there any other really excellent grand strategy games? EU4 is just about perfect , but you can only play through the default map so many times before it starts to get annoying, and I'm looking for something new.

Or I'd settle for some kind of new starting map mods for EU4; like how CK2 has After The End and Game of Thrones for when you get bored of rampaging through Europe for the tenth time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Sorry for derailing anime chat, but are there any other really excellent grand strategy games? EU4 is just about perfect , but you can only play through the default map so many times before it starts to get annoying, and I'm looking for something new.

Or I'd settle for some kind of new starting map mods for EU4; like how CK2 has After The End and Game of Thrones for when you get bored of rampaging through Europe for the tenth time.

Have you considered using the random world generator in EU4?

e: as in the one that randomizes tags, not the new world.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

Groogy posted:

Podcat is now making me redo the Peace Conference AI because apparently some glory for Denmark is not allowed.

oh yes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Australia/Austria confusion is going to cause a third world war in this world.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

oh yes

Pff I'm just teasing, no need to get so excited about it. You still know nothing more than I am messing up HOI4 :devil: