Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Corpse-Party is the story of five students who are trapped together in a haunted high school. Can they all escape with their lives, or will they join the hundreds of vengeful spirits that haunt the school?

Many of you may be familiar with Corpse Party, the anime slasher horror game series for the PSP and PS Vita. But Corpse Party on PSP is actually a remake of Corpse-Party, a 1996 game for the PC98.

Corpse-Party was made by Makoto Kedouin with RPG Tkool Dante 98, an RPG Maker software for the NEC PC-9801. Corpse-Party is very impressive for an RPG Maker game, with surprisingly good atmosphere and writing, and a complicated branching story with seven possible endings. Corpse-Party won second place in the 1997 Annual ASCII ENTERTAINMENT competition, winning Kedouin's company Kenix Soft a prize of five million yen.

We won't be playing Corpse-Party though, because it's not available in English and it doesn't emulate particularly well. Instead, we'll be playing Corpse Party -Rebuilt- (known in Japan as Corpse Party -Rebuilded-). Rebuilt is a fan-made remake of Corpse-Party, made with RPG Maker XP in 2011. Rebuilt is a faithful recreation of the original game, with enhanced graphics and gameplay. I will be showing some comparitave shots of the original as well, of course

Unlike Corpse-Party, Corpse Party -Rebuilt- is available in English, thanks to a translation effort by the Memories of Fear team. Corpse Party -Rebuilt- is freeware and you can download it and play it yourself here!

As I said above, the PSP version of Corpse Party is a remake of this game, but they're vastly different. They tell the same basic story, but the modern version has a larger cast of characters, slightly different backstory, and is significantly longer. If you're familiar with the PSP game, this game is an interesting sight, just to compare and contrast what stayed the same and what changed. The game has a total of seven endings, many of which were adapted into Wrong Endings in the remake. The LP will first show Ending A, the game's true ending. Afterwards, I'll show off the remaining endings in bonus updates.

Since Corpse Party tells the same story as this game, I would like to request that you :siren:DO NOT DISCUSS SPOILERS FOR ANY GAME IN THE SERIES:siren:. Obviously, discussing the PSP version as it compares to this game is fine, but do not discuss events that have yet to be shown in this game, and do not discuss any plot details from Book of Shadows or Blood Drive, even in spoiler tags.

If you're interested in checking out the rest of the series, Both Corpse Party and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows are available on PSN for both PSP and PS Vita, and Corpse Party: Blood Drive is coming to Vita in October with both a PSN and retail release! Corpse Party is a good game worth playing. Do not buy Book of Shadows.

I also made LPs of both games! You can read those if you don't have the means to play the games yourself.

Corpse Party
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

Corpse-Party: Part 1
Corpse-Party: Part 2
Corpse-Party: Part 3
Corpse-Party: Part 4
Corpse-Party: Part 5
Corpse-Party: Part 6
Corpse-Party: Part 7
Corpse-Party: Part 8
Corpse-Party: Part 9
Corpse-Party: Part 10
Corpse-Party: Ending A
Corpse-Party: Ending B-1
Corpse-Party: Ending B-2
Corpse-Party: Ending B-3
Corpse-Party: Ending C
Corpse-Party: Endings D-1 and D-2

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Our cast of characters, with official bios taken from in-game. The image on the left shows how the character looks in Corpse Party -Rebuilt- (and by extension, this LP), and the image on the right shows the character's original appearance in the PC98 game.

Satoshi Mochida (17 years old)
A second year student in Kisaragi Academy Senior High. Satoshi is a bit timid and some would say a coward, but he would do anything for his younger sister. He's reliable in a pinch. In fact, he's the protagonist of this game. He and Naomi have a bit of a power struggle.

Naomi Nakashima (16 years old)
Ever since junior high, she and Satoshi have had a tense relationship. She's always greeted him with, "I'm SO sick of you!"

Yuka Mochida (14 years old)
Satoshi's younger sister. Currently a second year student at Kisaragi Academy Junior High School. She got mixed up in all this while delivering an umbrella to her brother. Spoiled by her family, she acts much younger than she really is.

Yoshiki Kishinuma (17 years old)
Although he seems a bit cynical and rebellious, in actuality, he's just frank and honest. Which is why he didn't fight it too much when he was put onto the class committee via ballot. And also why he showed up to prepare for the coming school cultural festival.

Ayumi Shinozaki (17 years old)
The class representative who loves to scare people. She loves to tell ghost stories and it's rumored that's why she carries around a bunch of candles. In actuality, she tells those stories to hide her own fear.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CORPSE-PARTY Original Work

Planning & Production

Makoto Kedouin

Music
Mao Hamamoto

Background Design
Toyotaka Kateda

There's a flash of lightning

Background Sound: Rain

Character Design
Makoto Kedouin

Scenario & Main Graphics
Makoto Kedouin

All people, organizations, and places appearing in this work are fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Another flash of lightning

That's right, back when this school was being built...a girl, no older than us, was hanging around the third floor, when suddenly...CRACK!...she fell, split her head open...and died!

And, after that, do you know what happened to that girl?
Uhm...they held a funeral and cremated her?
No, no, no... When she cracked open her head and everyone thought she was dead...

Th...then what?
She was gone, only leaving behind the top of her head and her blood... So I guess you could call her "missing"...
M-missing? You're jok--

Wait... who was that?
...Who are you kidding? That was you, wasn't it?
What!? That wasn't me!

Sound Effect: Thud

Sorry, that was me.
Oooh? That ear-piercing scream was produced by Mochida? Can't say I'm surprised~
N-No, I meant to say it was me befo--
Bit of a coward, huh? Guess they haven't dropped yet.

Naomi stands up and leaves the circle

And she turns on the lights and returns to the group

Jeez, I can't believe how much we have left to do. And it's already past time for us to head home!
Y-Yeah... Come on, guys. We don't wanna be here til dawn.
Heeheehee, figures the two scaredy-cats would team up against me.
Shut up and work. Move it, move it. We gotta wrap this up!

They put away the candle and spread across the room.

Yeah, yeah.
Man, why did everyone else get to ditch out of this? Why is it just us?
Just a fact of life. People suck.
Nothing we can do about it. We have to follow the class rep's orders.
If it wasn't for her, I'd be at home sleeping in a warm bed.
Yeah, yeah. "It sucks, no one wants to be here." Let's just do it.
Now, now. No use complaining about it. Let's just finish up and go home!

Lightning strikes, and...

What bad timing, huh? Guess we can't do anything now.
What about that candle from earlier?
I have it around here somewhere... Maybe inside one of these desks?

Background Sound: None

Sound Effect: Knocking

So-someone's at the door...
Sa-Satoshi... Y-Ya wanna get that?
M-ME?!
C'mon, be a man!
You sly bastard...

We're put into control of Satoshi here. We walk to open the door.

As we approach the door, the lights come back on.

Background Sound: Rain

Huh, Yuka!? What are you doing here!?
You were gone for so long, so I thought I'd come pick you up.
And you forgot your umbrella. Here!
Ah, you're right. I'm sorry, Yuka.
You're such a sharp girl. As a reward, I'll treat you to some crepes later!
Yaay! I KNEW IT~
Is she a middle schooler?

Good evening. Thank you for taking care of my big brother.
She's adorable!
Wow. I can't believe I didn't know you had such an adorable little sister, Satoshi.
Ahaha, well, she's still in junior high, you know?
Hmmm... I got it! Why don't I help out?
S-Seriously? If you don't mind, then...
Alright! The more manpower we got, the faster it'll go! Let's move!

The screen fades to black...

..and fades back in to show the class with all the desks moved to the rear.

Of course, I wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to spook everyone!
...And that's why we get to hear them over and over, huh?

I believe this ellipsis is meant to denote the passage of yet more time

Crap! Look at the time, it's past 8!
Hey! We're all done here!
Fantastic. That means you can get over here and help us.

Satoshi, Yuka and Yoshiki start to move towards Ayumi and Naomi

Why exactly was the 14 year old girl who's the size of a 10 year old girl helping move desks?

Sound Effect: Mystery

Another power outage?
W-Wait... Did anyone else hear a strange voice?
N-N-No. I didn't hear a thing. Are you trying to scare us again, Shinozaki!?
No! I swear I heard something!

Background Sound: Organ

What's that sound?
It sounds like an organ... Maybe it's from the music room?
Hold up, who would be playin' music in this school this late at night?
No...
Should we go check?
Oooh no, I'm not being the guinea pig again!
What if it's some bloody, headless girl, like from Shinozaki's story?
But... aren't you curious? Let's check!
Suit yourself.
I don't wanna go alo--

Naomi storms out of the classroom.

And Yoshiki follows.

And Ayumi follows as well. We're put into control of Satoshi and speak to Yuka.

Man... Come on, Yuka.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the music room.
Gives me the creeps...
L-Let's get moving.
...Yeah.

Sound Effect: Crashing

Music: Crisis

Suddenly, the screen starts to flash and shake!

Kyaaaah! Satoshi! Everyone!
KYAAAH! BIG BROOOOOTHER!!

The school shakes and the screen flashes, and then we fade to black...

Music: None

Ow, ow, ow.
What the? What happened...? ...Yuka!? Naomi? Yoshiki!? Shinozaki!? ...Someone! Answer me!
drat. Gotta be a light or something somewhere...
Oh yeah! That candle earlier!

Hm? What's with this desk?

Music: Terror

!!! Just what's going on here!?

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 1, 2015

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Corpse Party (PSP) was one of the most disgusting horror games I've played. I think I saw an LP of Rebuilt ages ago, but I don't recall it having the same effect on me. Looking forward to having my memory refreshed.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

RealSovietBear posted:

Corpse Party (PSP) was one of the most disgusting horror games I've played.

The best thing about Corpse Party is that I have no idea if you mean this in a good way or a bad way

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've heard of Corpse Party, but haven't had the chance to check out the game. I'll definitely stick around for this LP and then see the LP of the PSP version.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The best thing about Corpse Party is that I have no idea if you mean this in a good way or a bad way

Oh, good way. I really enjoyed the PSP game and I watched an LP of Book of Shadows. Gonna borrow a Vita just to play Blood Drive this year.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ah, your original Corpse Party LP was one of the first I followed after joining :3: I'm looking forward to getting grossed out all over again.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I hold the same opinion in a bad way. Still really looking forward to seeing more of this, there are already differences that are really piquing my interest.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Wow, that chiptune's surprisingly mediocre. I recommend the DEFCON OST instead.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
For those curious about the original Famitsu's Dante RPG Maker archival site has a page to it with a link to a self-extracting executable zip of the game hosted on Enterbrain's own archives about the contest Corpse Party participated in. So if you have any way to run PC-88/98 games in *.bat form and want to see what Makoto Kedouin was up against or what the original was like, give them a shot. They're freeware, after all.

Only thing I want to note so far that DarkHamlord's missed in ReBuilt is that, once you have control of Satoshi and can approach the door, you can also choose to talk to your classmates and get some throwaway NPC chatter from them about their reactions to the black-out and the knocking. The original PC-88/98 game asks you whether or not you want to play or skip the intro section that comprises most of the latest update, but I forget if ReBuilt did this as well.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Only thing I want to note so far that DarkHamlord's missed in ReBuilt is that, once you have control of Satoshi and can approach the door, you can also choose to talk to your classmates and get some throwaway NPC chatter from them about their reactions to the black-out and the knocking. The original PC-88/98 game asks you whether or not you want to play or skip the intro section that comprises most of the latest update, but I forget if ReBuilt did this as well.

I didn't mention either of these because I felt like they broke the flow of the update, but yes, rebuilt does let you skip the intro and you can get throwaway dialog when in control of Satoshi.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Satoshi has woken up alone in a mysterious, dilapidated classroom.

Looking across the room, he notices a body.

N-Naomi? It's you, right?!

We're put into control of Satoshi. We have access to the classroom's south door and nothing else, so we head out.

The floor is pretty busted up, and there's nowhere to proceed except for back into the classroom via the north door.

We re-enter the classroom and head for Naomi's body.

Hey, Naomi! Hang in there!

Mm? Huh? Where...are we?
Who knows? I can't make heads or tails of what's going on.

Naomi gets up on her feet.

What!?!
Ho-hold on!! Where ARE we!? What's going on!?!
I'd love an answer to that as well...

At this point, Yuka steps into the classroom.

...YUKA! Are you okay!?

*hic hic*
Hey now, dry those tears. Everything's going to be okay.
A-Alright...

And now, Yoshiki and Ayumi enter the room.

Yeah! We're fine. Thank God, the gang's all here.
Yeah, but...
*hic* *sobs*
What's wrong?!
...Nothin'. I think she's just a bit scared.

The screen fades to black...

...And when it fades back in, our party has properly grouped up together, and time has passed.

Wha?! That makes no sense! Dammit!

Satoshi notices something on the wall, and sends Yuka over to read it.

Yuka reads the poster on the wall, then returns to the group.

It looks like a newspaper.
Oh? What's it say?

...What?
Where are we?
No... This is all wrong! SOMEONE SAVE ME!!

Yeah... thanks...
That's right! We just gotta find an exit! Then we'll be able to go home and sleep in our own beds!
What the hell makes ya so drat sure?
Well, would you rather stand around here and stare at your shoes?

Music: Main Theme

...How?
We'll just comb the school inch by inch!
A window, a door, SOMETHING has to give!
Absolutely! I agree! ...How about everyone else?
I'm with Mochida.
Me too.

We should check up on each other every so often and update with any new details.
That's not a bad idea. What do you guys think?
Split up? ...I'm not so sure.
We'll be fine. We'll all be back soon!
...Are you really frightened, Miss Scary Story Lover? Get a hold of yourself! How do you think I feel?
Scary stories and scary situations are entirely different concepts!

Splitting up is always a good idea, in every horror story ever told.

Now there's a quick interlude where we're able to get character bios. Those are all available in the second post of the thread.

...I'm fine as long as I'm with my big brother.
I...
Nakashima, you head on out with Satoshi. I'll take care of Shinozaki. I'm a bit worried 'bout her.
Eh?
...Sure.

Just the two of us... Will we be safe?
Don't worry 'bout it.

And at last, the game truly begins. We're put into control of Satoshi's group. We're able to walk around the classroom and get NPC dialog by talking to Yoshiki and Ayumi.

Same goes for ya! Ya got two lovely ladies followin' ya!
...Thanks.
See ya in 30 minutes.

Ayumi doesn't really have much to say.

Aside from Ayumi and Yoshiki, there's one other conspicuous thing in this room.

-- Take it? --

Yes

No

And we acquire our first item! It's made in RPG Maker, but I'd classify Corpse Party as an adventure game more than anything else. We collect various items throughout the game and use them to solve puzzles. There aren't any random encounters or anything, just wandering through scary hallways and solving puzzles.

DID I MENTION THIS WAS MADE IN RPG MAKER

This is just straight up the default menu from RPG Maker XP, more or less.

There's a Magic option in the menu, but we don't have any magic spells. Silly RPG Maker holdovers. The characters having HP actually does matter though, because there are traps around the school that can drain our health.

We're done in this classroom, so we head out. We can look at the poster in the room if we want, but it just says "September 24th, 1927." The book case is full of books, surprisingly enough.

Out in the hallway, we still can't really go north or south, due to holes in the floor. We take a few steps to the south and trigger yet another scene.

Huh? What's this?
It's my good luck charm. Please, take it.
Eh? Sorry, but you keep it. I can't take something so valuable from you.
Yuka, are you crying...?

It worries me...

Alright. I'll take it.
Thank you, Yuka.

Acquired [Yuka's Charm]

If we want to, we can refuse the charm, in which case it isn't added to our inventory.

After that scene, we walk to this narrow gap and investigate it.

Hey, how about that board we picked up earlier? Would that work?
...Ah, I get it!

-- Use the [Loose Board]? --

Yes

No

We put the board down and head up the stairs to the south.

And we proceed up the dark stairwell to the second floor.

The second floor is just as bad off as the first. We can't even continue up to the third floor, thanks to the completely ruined floor in front of the stairway.

We walk down the hall and enter the classroom.

This is Classroom 2-1, and it's empty. The lights go out after we enter the room, but that's the only thing of note in this room.

If we investigate the blackboard, it's dated with "X Month, X Day, Friday"

We exit the classroom and proceed down the hall.

...a conspicuous bucket.

What the heck is this? Pee?

...Moving on from that, we head into Classroom 2-2. It's also empty, but significantly more damaged than 2-1 was.

This room also has nothing but flavor text inside. The blackboard is dated "13th Month, 54th Day, 1949"

Exiting the classroom and continuing down the hall, we quickly run across another class.

We can't enter it though. We pass the room and continue down the hall.

At this point, we're actually forced to pass through the classroom to proceed down the hall.

Oh dear, what's that in the corner? We head close to investigate.

Music: Horror

I-It's bones... A-A human's...
No!
Big brother, I'm scared!

Who, who's there!?

The...the skeleton...is talking...
...Do you all...understand where you are?...

Can you tell us!?
...To be honest, the "where" is irrelevant. It is hardly even worth asking; you wouldn't understand anyways...

Wha, what do you mean!?

...The one you are trapped in dates over 40 years back...Naturally, there is no way out. Be glad you are not alone. Stick together, that way at least you can be with your friends in the end...Unlike me...
W...why did we have to be dragged down here!?
...This ghost has a particularly strong bond to the real world...She calls anyone and everyone down here...even those unrelated to her death...
Wh...why the hell would she--
...I do not know. I don't even know how to escape my own plight...

...Try not to end up...like me...

Now finished explaining the school to us, the skeleton has fulfilled its purpose and fades out of existence for some reason???

But we can go home, right!? It's all a lie, right!? Right!?
Big brother!? Listen to me, big brother! Hey! Hey!! HEY!! Come on, tell me! Tell me we can go back home!

It'll all be fine, Yuka. We'll be home soon.
Don't worry. Your big brother is here, right?
Yeah...
Big brooooother... *hic hic sobs*
Let it all out, Yuka. There, there.

...Is that so?
Come on, Yuka. I think we need to get out of here. It's not good for you.

...I'm okay...
Alright, come on. Let's head out!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Never finished reading the archived LP, so this will be fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, didn't expect to see another one of these. Bookmarking in anticipation of more gore descriptions that will probably kill my appetite.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I assume, based on the lack of videos, that this doesn't have the same awesome audio setup in the PSP version? I loved that in your first LP, it really made it that much more intense.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Binaural audio costs a fortune so I doubt that they could've afforded for this one.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

azren posted:

I assume, based on the lack of videos, that this doesn't have the same awesome audio setup in the PSP version? I loved that in your first LP, it really made it that much more intense.

Right. This is just an indie RPG Maker game, it has no voice acting and no expensive audio setup. There are one or two spots later on that I plan to include video of, but for the most part it wouldn't really add anything.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'll be following this, really enjoyed your other LP of the game. Also this thread made me realize that the official Blood Drive localized release is in a few days, so that's cool.

e: interesting how apparently half of the cast in the remake weren't part of the original game. Guess someone felt there wasn't enough cannon fodder?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I've always wanted to see the original game and how it compares to the PSP version, so I'm following this LP for sure. One of those games I wanted to play myself and just never got around to actually doing, which given the PSP version's tendency to actually be kind of a pain in the rear end to get through without a walkthrough might be for the better.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I've always wanted to see the original game and how it compares to the PSP version, so I'm following this LP for sure. One of those games I wanted to play myself and just never got around to actually doing, which given the PSP version's tendency to actually be kind of a pain in the rear end to get through without a walkthrough might be for the better.

This game is much worse about that than the PSP version, I think. I played the PSP game just fine without a walkthrough, but needed to follow one to get all the endings in this.

New update coming later today, by the way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Previously, we spoke to a skeleton, who explained that we're trapped in a closed space created by a vengeful spirit that's pulling victims in at random.

Our current goal is to explore the school and look for a way out.

Now that our bony friend is gone, this class has only got flavor text. We exit through the north doorway.

We exit the class and head the only way we can: south. The damaged paper on the wall is unreadable; it's been shredded with sharp nails.

Continuing south down the hallway, there's...a large spinning pentagram.

Obviously, we investigate it.

Well, we better get movin'.
Y-Yeah...

And now we're in control of Yoshiki and Ayumi's group, back in the classroom where we started. We exit the classroom.

As soon as we step out, the entire school shakes violently, and...

...the floorboards shift completely.

KYAAAAAH!
The hell!!

Now that things have shifted around, we can't head up the south staircase anymore. Luckily, the floorboards also shifted in such a way that we can proceed north instead!

There's an extremely conspicuous pathway that leads to an extremely conspicuous door. Obviously, we cross the path and enter the doorway immediately.

I...have no idea what the purpose of this room is. Most of the rooms in this game were clearly "a classroom" or "the infirmary" or whatever. This is just some bizarrely shaped room that serves no obvious purpose for the school.

Important advice that we'll completely ignore at the first possible opportunity. Obviously if a note says "stay away," the correct response is to seek the room out immediately.

After reading the note, we head up into the other portion of the room.

Satoshi's group was pretty stoic and stationary when they encountered a corpse, but Yoshiki and Ayumi run halfway across the room and look from a distance.

Wh-what the hell is that!?
You think I know!?
L-Ladies first!
What do you mean by that!?

Yoshiki and Ayumi approach the skeleton. Despite his attempts to the contrary, Yoshiki closes in first with Ayumi following behind him.

Does it LOOK like a cat or dog's carcass to you!? Why not keep your dumbass comments to yourself!
Huh? There's something written on the floor...

The message was written by human nails being scratched forcefully into the floor.

We're put back into control. Obviously we immediately go check out that poster.

...Well that's not good.

Might as well read the poster while we're here.

And that's all it says. We go back to the former location of the door.

Why are you asking me!?
T-There're gashes all over the wall...
Was someone trying to claw their way out?

With nothing else to do, we head back to the end of the room and check the poster again.

Are we trapped!?

SHADDAP! I'm thinkin', dammit!
I-If we're trapped, I don't know wha--
Don't worry! No way I'm lettin' us die in this pigsty!!
BUT IT'S HOPELESS! WE ALREADY TRIED EVERYTHING!

All because we had to split up! If everyone else was here, we might be able to do something!
WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?

Are you so unhappy...
So unhappy to be trapped with ME instead of your "precious Satoshi"!?
...!
Y...

Ayumi takes a step back from Yoshiki.

And we're automatically switched back to Satoshi's group. Yoshiki and Ayumi aren't exactly going anywhere anytime soon, after all.

There's a nearby spirit. We can talk to it, but it just informs us that investigating a pentagram will switch us between the two parties. This is a major gameplay mechanic that will persist through the entire game.

Now that we're back in control of Satoshi, we continue exploring down the hallway.

That doesn't look good.

This isn't relevant just yet. It's a hint for a puzzle we'll see a little later.

Never trust a ghost.

And sure enough, every step in the goo we take deals 2 HP of damage to our entire party. If we hit 0 HP, we're booted back to the title screen.

We can't continue in that direction anymore. We turn around and head back up the hall.

Oddly, the shredded paper is now intact.

Another cryptic hint. We ignore it and continue backtracking.

We go all the way down the hall, and back down the stairs to the first floor.

No way...the whole place's wrecked.

So why did we come back here, to this dead end?

To pick up the board we used earlier.

Corpse Party is a 90s adventure game, and it shows in a few ways. Like constantly making you backtrack for various reasons.

After picking up the board, we walk all the way back to this narrow hole and cross it with the board.

And we head down the staircase on the other side. We can't go upstairs because the pit in front of it covers just enough that we can't fit.

And we're back on the first floor, in a new area.

This spirit's just giving us a gameplay hint. Posters and bookcases are liable to have important clues in them, or sometimes they're just flavor text.

We continue down the hall, to the north.

And we find more green bile. The spirit here just warns you that the bile absorbs your life, since it's possible this is the first time you encounter it.

We carefully walk around it and head up the stairs.

Where we find another pentagram, and several bookcases, one of which is sparkling.

A devil in white is stabbing an angel in black repeatedly...

Wha?

It's so tattered, I can barely read it.

-- View it? --

Yes

No

...I can't read most of these big words.

Acquired [Forbidden Key]

And lastly, we acquire a key.

What could be behind the forbidden door, back in the 2F Inner Wing? And how will Yoshiki and Ayumi escape from their fate???

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Whelp, it took Yoshiki like five minutes to start snapping like a twig.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

DeathChicken posted:

Whelp, it took Yoshiki like five minutes to start snapping like a twig.

In fairness I lost like an hour of my life to that stupid disappearing door room once, so I can understand his frustration.

It's interesting that the mechanic to swap between the two parties is in this game, is there a party swap pentagram in that sealed room or is that just editing trickery?

Reagle
Feb 16, 2011

Otter you waiting for?
Just finished reading your PSP Corpse Party LP, looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. The differences have already piqued my interest!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sinking Ship posted:

It's interesting that the mechanic to swap between the two parties is in this game, is there a party swap pentagram in that sealed room or is that just editing trickery?

The game automatically switches you back to Satoshi's group after Yoshiki and Ayumi realize they're trapped and have their argument. If you change parties back to Yoshiki and Ayumi at this point, a pentagram has been added to the room.

Also! Blood Drive is out in North America today! I'd like to post a friendly reminder not to talk about it in here! Vague statements like "it's good" or "it's bad" are fine, but don't post plot details, even in spoiler tags please!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Ahh yes, Rebuilt. The only Corpse Party game I've actually been able to play, given that I don't have a PSP or a Vita, sadly. I prefer Blood Covered, but this game is neat and I find it fun to compare the two. Namely, there are a lot of character differences: I feel like in Rebuilt, the characters are a lot more realistic and a lot less likable. The game's just started and already several of the characters are beginning to panic and go coward.

Naomi, in particular, I find interesting. Her character in Rebuilt is radically different-- here she's a semi-tsundere, a little bitchy, but seems to be a leader figure. In Blood Covered though, she's a lot more passive, a lot more emotive, and a lot more whiny. What I think is funny that Naomi's bio for both games is pretty much the same, and a lot of characters in blood covered will sometimes act as if she has her rebuilt personality in throwaway lines.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really don't get why they kept the character bios for that long. As much poo poo as I give this series it still manages to introduce the characters well in the intro. Not only are the bios unnecessary and screw with the pacing but they're also rarely correct.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

In the 2F Inner Wing, there was a locked classroom, marked as "The Forbidden Room."

We got a Forbidden Key last time, so we're back to check out the inside.

Classroom 2-3: THE FORBIDDEN ROOM

It doesn't really live up to the name.

What you can see is not the only truth... You must take a leap of faith...

Starting from the east of the sparkle, there's an invisible walkway.

We can walk all the way up to the edge of it, but we can't actually pick it up from here because???

Instead we have to walk up and around, and approach from above.

The [Blessed Shoes] only affects the party holding them. Please keep that in mind.

Now we've got shoes that allow us to cross the green ooze. There are five pairs, but our inventory is not shared between groups, so if Yoshiki and Ayumi manage to get out of that room they're trapped in, they still won't be able to cross the ooze unless we get a couple pairs to them somehow.

For some reason after you pick up the shoes, it completely rearranges the walkway. It's annoying and dumb and RPG Maker as gently caress.

We exit the room and head back to the staircase at the end of the hallway.

Worth noting: a spirit has appeared over here. We can talk to it anytime to restore our HP, I guess in case we wallowed around in the ooze for awhile.

Anyway, we head down the stairs and up the first floor hallway, back to the ooze by the other staircase.

We'll be together, until death do us part... Even though we said that... I wish they were here...

I guess this guy didn't originally come alone.

After reading the note, we continue across the ooze and into the nearby room. It's worth noting that we could have actually gone here without the shoes, since the ooze only deals 2 damage per tile, and we have 30 HP. But there's no reason to come over here before getting the shoes unless you're totally lost and don't know what to do.

It's the infirmary!

Looking closely, it seems like the organs are painted red with real blood...

There's flavor text in the cabinets too, but they're just full of medical textbooks and medicine. Nothing interesting or creepy. We approach the beds and trigger a scene.

Are you okay? Satoshi, think we should take a rest?

Yeah, let's take a break.
Sorry, it's too dangerous.

Good idea, let's take a break.

Our party splits to separate beds, and the screen fades to black.

And then the screen fades back in and our party regroups.

Choosing to sleep in here refills our HP. Choosing not to sleep does nothing. You'd really think sleeping would be a horrible idea, but no. Nothing of consequence happens.

On our way out, we check this desk.

-- Take it? --

Yes

No

And now we have a small crystal in our inventory, which we're going to go immediately use.

We exit the infirmary and head west down the hall.

The infirmary was a very important room in the remake. It's pretty inconsequential here, aside from containing a key item.

Now we're right by the room where Yoshiki and Ayumi are trapped, though with a pit between us and the door. There is something interesting over on this side, though.

Upon approaching the spirit, it screams in terror!

Wha, what!?!

And it explodes.

Well anyway, that's taken care of. We exorcised a ghost, and now there's nothing left to do over here.

We head back down the hall, cross the ooze, and head upstairs.

And then...

...What!?
The wall! IT OPENED!
REALLY!?
Yeah! C'mon, move it!

Music: Main Theme 2

Ayumi and Yoshiki regroup, and we're placed back into control. Exorcising the evil spirit outside of the room is what opened the wall for Yoshiki and Ayumi.

Before we leave, we check the poster one last time and get this friendly message:

It doesn't matter if you leave. You're trapped in this school. GO CRAZY AND DIE!

On our way out, the skeleton disappears.

This room is actually recreated in the first chapter of the Corpse Party remake, but with different characters. Seiko and Naomi enter a "forbidden classroom" (a room with an enormous hole in it, reminiscent of the Blessed Shoes room), which contains a skeleton and the message "Don't look at the newspaper!" scratched into the floor with fingernails. The newspaper includes important story details, and then Seiko and Naomi get locked inside for a bit.

I like how they took the same concept (with a bonus reference to a different room that doesn't really show up in the PSP game) but reworked it for different characters. Yoshiki and Ayumi still have that same argument in the remake, they just have it in a different scenario.

We exit the room, and cross back over the rickety bridge.

Which then immediately falls into the abyss behind us.

...Let's go.
Who made you king?

Yoshiki doesn't even dignify that with a response.

We continue to explore the school, heading west down the hall.

Of course, we can't enter that room. There's a hole in the way.

- Don't run in the halls.
- Mind your Ps and Qs.
- Make sure your mind and uniform are in order.
- Don't run in the hElls.
- D o n t b I E e d
- feSeEt EnTeHcEk LhIaEnSds.

don't run in the hells

Finished reading the poster, we head for the stairs, and...

Sound Effect: Splash

Yoshiki and Ayumi head over to investigate.

Sound Effect: Ghost

...And while they're distracted looking at the window, a girl in red appears in the stairway.

The girl in red walks down the hall, and enters the room behind us, filling the hole in the process.

Of course, as soon as we're regranted control, we head into the newly opened room. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Oh, it's the Science Lab! This was mentioned on a poster earlier. I think it said something like "For a good time, visit the Science Lab"

We set about the usual business of digging around for flavor text and items.

This chart... It has vividly drawn entrails, that look like they're dripping, scrawled on it.

You must be careful when dissecting. First, expose the subject to copious amounts of salt water until the subject swells. Then perform the incision. If you wish to continue the operation another time, apply more salt to the incision. If the subject becomes noisy or screams, jam cloths into their mouth.

It's a human anatomical model... It feels like its eyes are following us...

There's nothing terribly interesting in the cabinets, just science textbooks. We head to the south end of the room.

As we round this corner, Ayumi stops us.

The anatomical model literally jumps across the room in one single frame. It doesn't walk over there from its initial position; it teleports.

KYAAAH!!
RUN!! If it catches you, you're dead!

The game gives us a friendly little explanation and then throws control back into our hands.

The anatomical model is STUPID FAST. It ran down and rounded that corner in the time it took for us to take a couple steps to the left.

It's of the utmost importance that you realize there's a run function in this game at this point, or you will never escape the model. Holding the space bar makes you move faster, and the default walking speed just doesn't cut it.

We run down and around the lower-left table and grab a loose floorboard.

The anatomical model's pathing AI is very bad, and it just runs back and forth against the desk while we're over here. This room was designed around RPG Maker's bad "follow" AI, though. If the model was smarter, it would close in on you before you could get the board.

After grabbing the board, we run across the room and use it on this narrow hole to build a bridge. And then we turn and RUN because the model is right on the other side.

And now that we've built a path for the model to follow, it can chase us down here and we can loop around...

...And escape the Science Lab!

This was a puzzle designed entirely around bad RPG Maker pathfinding and I actually find that kind of charming. I think it's clever that rather than using the board to build a path for yourself, you're using it to build a path for the thing chasing you so you can loop around it.

The hell was that?! Why do I have to go through this crap?!
Don't yell at me! Not like it's MY fault!
Just shaddap!

UWAAAH!

You're immediately put back into control at this point and have to flee from the model again. I'm going to make a leap and say that 100% of players got caught here their first time because it comes out of NOWHERE and needs you to react immediately.

It's kind of a dick move, but it's pretty effective as a scare tactic, I have to admit.

The anatomical model is actually a lot slower outside of the science lab, and is very easily evaded, as long as you know it's going to start chasing you from two squares away. We run up the stairs.

The model chases us into the stairway too, though!

And as we try to continue to run, the stairs collapse!!!

At this point we have to just barely skirt past the model in a one-square space. It's easily doable, but it honestly is a little frighting to rub right up against an enemy that will kill you if you touch it.

We slip by and run back down the stairs.

And we run to the south.

At this point, the model finally stops chasing us. You can tell because the music returned to normal.

And if we check the science lab, it's back in there, just hanging out.

The anatomical model chase sequence is present in the remake as well, but it's a lot easier there, and the model doesn't follow you out of the lab.

We could go back to the south, but instead we exit the lab and head up the stairs again.

And the stairs are repaired, for some reason.

I'm not honestly sure if you have to run into the stairwell to avoid the model. It might be intended to be a "dead end" where you're supposed to die, but if you're fast enough you can slip by without getting caught.

Upon going up the stairs, we reach the 2F North Wing.

If you die here, the pain of your death will continue for eternity.

No matter how it hurts.
No matter how you bear it.
No matter how much you cry out.
There is no escape from that pain.

Just like in the remake, there is a rule that if you die in this school, you'll feel the pain of your death for the rest of eternity. This is a pretty important plot element, which you're informed of in a story-required cutscene in the remake, but here it's just flavor text on the wall you can easily walk right past.

Without cooperation, escape is impossible.

The first of these bookcases is flavor text that doubles as a hint (as we've seen, we had to use Satoshi's party to free Yoshiki and Ayumi from their prison). The second is actually a bit of gameplay advice. There are ten letters hidden throughout the school, which offer crucial hints, as well as plot details.

-- Take it? --

Yes

No

Acquired [Long Board]

The long board is an important item, which allows us to span a gap even larger than one square!

We step around and enter the classroom.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 15, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And if you're dopey enough to examine the doll *again* after all of that, it instantly kills you. :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Excellent, we appear to have escaped the nightmare.

Great LP, look forward to your next one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

And if you're dopey enough to examine the doll *again* after all of that, it instantly kills you. :v:

That's just cruel, even for this game.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

DeathChicken posted:

You mean the model, right?
Also I find really stupid how as soon as it starts moving Ayumi screams "if it touches you you die". It's like one of those improv games kids play in primary school.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I have to admit that turning bad pathing AI into a puzzle is really clever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

quote:

- feSeEt EnTeHcEk LhIaEnSdS.

Let's see... feet neck hand
SEE THE LIESS

Is that last "S" upper or lower case?

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Honestly, listening to you talk about the remake made me realize that I actually don't remember a lot of the specific events (after the first chapter or so, I've read the beginning more). I might have to give your Blood Covered LP another read, and then maybe actually finish reading the Book of Shadows LP. (I got mad at the game.)

Has anyone read the manga? The real one, not the other one. I can't remember if the Blood Covered game is based off of it or if it's the other way around. I always assumed the game was based off the manga because it has an extra subtitle. Either way, I find it fascinating how the different authors all have different takes on the characters. There's interesting differences between Rebuilt, the manga, and the remake.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Let's see... feet neck hand
SEE THE LIESS

Is that last "S" upper or lower case?

It's supposed to be lowercase, that's my typo. Thank you for finding it!

yamiaainferno posted:

Has anyone read the manga? The real one, not the other one. I can't remember if the Blood Covered game is based off of it or if it's the other way around. I always assumed the game was based off the manga because it has an extra subtitle. Either way, I find it fascinating how the different authors all have different takes on the characters. There's interesting differences between Rebuilt, the manga, and the remake.

The manga is based on Blood Covered, which is a port of a mobile phone remake of Corpse-Party

And since it's kind of a mess, here's the full release chronology for all the different versions of this same story

1996: Corpse-Party (NEC-PC9801)
Not sure of year: Corpse Party: New Chapter (Mobile remake of Corpse-Party)
2008-2011: Corpse Party: Blood Covered (PC port of Corpse Party: New Chapter)
2010: Corpse Party: Blood Covered: ...Repeated Fear (PSP port of Blood Covered) (chapter 5 of Blood Covered came out AFTER this, and has more content than this game's chapter 5)
2011: Corpse-Party -Rebuilt- (RPG Maker XP fan remake of Corpse-Party, aka the game in this LP)
2015: Corpse Party: Blood Covered: ...Repeated Fear (3DS port of PSP game, with a few additional Wrong Endings and Extra Chapters)

2015: Corpse Party (live action movie)

2008-2012: Corpse Party: Blood Covered (manga adaptation of PC version of Blood Covered)
2010-2012: Corpse Party; Musume (borderline pornographic manga based on original PC98 Corpse-Party, with some influences from Blood Covered)
2015 (ongoing): Corpse Party (manga adaptation of live action movie)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DarkHamsterlord posted:

And since it's kind of a mess, here's the full release chronology for all the different versions of this same story

2010: Corpse Party: Blood Covered: ...Repeated Fear (PSP port of Blood Covered) (chapter 5 of Blood Covered came out AFTER this, and has more content than this game's chapter 5)
2011: Corpse-Party -Rebuilt- (RPG Maker XP fan remake of Corpse-Party, aka the game in this LP)
2015: Corpse Party: Blood Covered: ...Repeated Fear (3DS port of PSP game, with a few additional Wrong Endings and Extra Chapters)

2008-2012: Corpse Party: Blood Covered (manga adaptation of PC version of Blood Covered)
2010-2012: Corpse Party; Musume (borderline pornographic manga based on original PC98 Corpse-Party, with some influences from Blood Covered)

Good god that's a lot of remakes for one horror story. Who's responsible for this? Why are they milking this product so much? I would have expected one remake and some ports, not 5+ AND a movie.

That said, I'm cheerfully rereading the original LP and Book of Shadows before diving into this LP and I want to thank you for sharing this creepy, creepy franchise.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, there are scary games, and then there's this, which manages to just make you want to take a shower. It's really good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That's ...something. Someone really likes telling that one story over and over again. Why does this game have so many iterations I wonder, I guess it must sell well enough to justify it but I can't imagine why anyone would buy essentially the same game over and over over the course of 7~ years. I didn't even know there was another port in 2015 - I wonder if anyone will bother localizing that.

Thanks as always for the LP DarkHamsterLord~~

• Locked thread