Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Welp, I totally missed that list. I just saw it on his feed, so my mistake. Still should make for a great episode.

Although this "Thinner" business intrigues me, can anyone here speak to its goodness/badness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Jaunts posted:

I don't know about the next episode being FvJ... Andrew recently added 1987's The Monster Squad to his letterboxd and that seems to fit the "teamup" hint better

Although my last prediction turned out to be wrong so idk

It can't be Monster Squad because that's legit one of the best Halloween movies ever made.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Jaunts posted:

Welp, I totally missed that list. I just saw it on his feed, so my mistake. Still should make for a great episode.

Although this "Thinner" business intrigues me, can anyone here speak to its goodness/badness?

It was referenced in one of my favorite WHM tangents in Dracula 2000 - how monsters are made.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Mr Jaunts posted:

The only things I remember about "Thinner" are the hilarious "creepy" lines from the trailer and the fact that in certain theaters, it was preceded by this, which is frankly more :magical:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TetsuoTW posted:

It's OK. My only real problem with it is that Elliot Kalan never met a joke he couldn't run into the ground. I'd say it's worth a shot.

I did really enjoy the latest episode with the various McElroys hosting though.

I hate hate hate hate the voices of the McElroys and I have no idea how anyone can stand their podcast.

I listen to Flophouse but I don't know why. I really don't like it. Their podcast is usually around 90 minutes and maybe 20 of that is actually discussing the movie. The rest is dumb Kalan jokes, plugging their own poo poo, and stupid in-joke mailbox letters.

edit: I also like the Thursday mini-sode on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. Gilbert and his co-host both recommend a movie. They span decades and genres but they're all usually pretty good picks. Some I've watched, some I haven't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Flophouse drove me insane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Flophouse depresses me because they're these obnoxious unfunny guys and then they mention that they're professional comedy writers and they attended the Emmys and then you just die a little inside.

It's like listening to The Canon and them off-handedly mentioning voting in the academy awards or interviewing Guillermo del Toro for a blu-ray and realizing that these annoyong people with bad opinions have so much clout and lead such interesting lives because of it.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Holy poo poo, I forgot about the Fred Durst bit in the Dracula 2000 episode.

Forgot that episode was this good

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I do enjoy the Flophouse, but the movie is super-secondary. If you don't enjoy them talking nonsense, you are not going to have a fun time listening to the Flophouse.

I've tried to get into How Did This Get Made but it's pretty much killed for me by them basically expecting you watched the movie beforehand.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sleeveless posted:

Flophouse depresses me because they're these obnoxious unfunny guys and then they mention that they're professional comedy writers and they attended the Emmys and then you just die a little inside.

It's like listening to The Canon and them off-handedly mentioning voting in the academy awards or interviewing Guillermo del Toro for a blu-ray and realizing that these annoyong people with bad opinions have so much clout and lead such interesting lives because of it.

I really, really want to like The Canon.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Stuart, IMO the actually funniest of them, is like a bartender or something. I don't know if knowing that makes it better or worse tho.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sleeveless posted:

I feel like the Flophouse wasn't always so tangent filled. And then it got worse and worse. I realized how I only enjoyed ~15% of every episode when I started listening to We Hate Movies. WHM is so much better than the Flophouse in every way. The tangents are better, the reoccurring bits like Martin Cinemax are fantastic, and I even like their monthly mailboxes better. The only thing Flophouse wins on is that it didn't take me as long to learn which name went with each voice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the comments on Flophouse; I'll prolly listen to a few to see if I like it. I'm really weird about digressive podcasts. I like HDTGM a shade more than WHM because the latter tends to digress a bit too much for my liking, but one of my favorite podcasts (Frightday, a hole-in-the-wall horror movie podcast) is 20% movie review, 80% conspiracy/cryptozoology talk.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

MisterBibs posted:

Only vaguely on topic, but as a Bad Movie Podcast, whats everyones opinion on The Flophouse? I don't have time to listen to an episode (and there's a lot of 'em) so I don't have time to decide if its worth it personally.

Some of the older ones are great but I stopped listening to it. The format has always been "First half of the podcast is about the bad movie, second half is letters and off-topic banter" but it seems like over the last year or so they've been REALLY kind of yadda-yadda-ing through the movie portion, skipping a huge chunk of them and missing a lot of good moments from the movie that would have been fun to talk about.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Sleeveless posted:

Shut the FRONT DOOR. Wow. You absolutely blew me away with this.

I tried listening to a few early episodes of The Canon and I couldn't continue. The guy and the girl were both so boring and had such bad opinions, but beyond that the thing that stuck out to me was that it seemed really slapped together and unprofessional. I guess I missed any and all parts where they talked about their professions, but I was certain that it was just two random schmucks who liked movies doing a podcast in their basement in their spare time trying to see if they could get a podcast off the ground. They are industry professionals? Who get to vote for the Oscars? WHAT?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
To support the alternate view: I think The Flophouse is fantastic - I much prefer it to WHM. Elliot is wonderful - constantly pushing the line between annoying and hilarious, he's just got an incredibly quick wit. The dynamic between the 3 is great, and the movies are just a trigger for them to chat and joke with each other - and funny nonsense with a good dynamic is pretty much the reason I listen to comedy podcasts.

At the end of the day, the Flophouse makes me burst out laughing whereas WHM makes me chuckle or smile.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Trickster sounds an awful lot like Cobra Commander.

It's awesome.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
"Why don't you play a different game today?"

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I listened to the one they did on Face/Off again. The impression of the characters saying "face...off" in Jimmy Stewart's voice cracked me up.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This may seem kind weird but I just came to the conclusion fairly recently that the WHM guys do pretty good impressions. I can't really explain why I thought differently till now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Invalid Validation posted:

This may seem kind weird but I just came to the conclusion fairly recently that the WHM guys do pretty good impressions. I can't really explain why I thought differently till now.

Listening to the Gone Fishin' episode today and it's a great Danny Glover impression

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It might be because I was completely exhausted and in a weird head space when I listened, but I don't think I've laughed out loud more at any episode than Killer Workout. In fact, I think they've been funnier than ever lately. So many episodes in and they just keep putting out a better and better product. It's pretty impressive, really.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DangerDummy! posted:

It might be because I was completely exhausted and in a weird head space when I listened, but I don't think I've laughed out loud more at any episode than Killer Workout. In fact, I think they've been funnier than ever lately. So many episodes in and they just keep putting out a better and better product. It's pretty impressive, really.

I feel that way about Brainscan. I was laughing my rear end off the entire time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes the Jeremy bits were pretty good.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have to do an internship next semester. Anybody know a forwarding address for the Trickster so I could send my resume?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hockles posted:

I have to do an internship next semester. Anybody know a forwarding address for the Trickster so I could send my resume?

I'm sure it'll be listed near the back of an issue of Fango.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hockles posted:

Check the back of Fangoria

edit drat beaten.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Out of curiosity I went to Fango's website. 12 loving dollars per magazine.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I had a Fangoria subscription when I was in high school. I used to draw all of the awful gore pics in art class whenever we were assigned to copy from a source. It got me sent to the school psychologist.

This was well before Columbine, so nobody was too worried. I had to spend lunchtime with two arsonists, a cutter, and "the weird kid" for a couple weeks, though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm glad you all slam dunk'd that home.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Heaven help the WHM guys if they ever find a movie with Jodie Foster and Gary Busey in it, because those impressions are going to be tripping all over each other.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Stumiester posted:

To support the alternate view: I think The Flophouse is fantastic - I much prefer it to WHM. Elliot is wonderful - constantly pushing the line between annoying and hilarious, he's just got an incredibly quick wit. The dynamic between the 3 is great, and the movies are just a trigger for them to chat and joke with each other - and funny nonsense with a good dynamic is pretty much the reason I listen to comedy podcasts.

At the end of the day, the Flophouse makes me burst out laughing whereas WHM makes me chuckle or smile.

I completely agree. I like WHM, but I love the Flophouse. Just off the top of my head I have nearly choked laughing four times this year listening to the Flophouse. The incidents in question, Cat on a Hot Tin-Tin Roof, The Legend of Alan Ruck, Even Dorf Started Small, and especially Nicholas Caaage in Stolen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I might just check out the flophouse. I'm a huge WHM fan, particularly when they go off on tangents, like seeing someone eating a fish in the cinema.

Listened to WHM's Catwoman at work earlier, don't think I've ever come so close to losing it as their suggestions for how Catwoman should've transitioned.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DangerDummy! posted:

I had a Fangoria subscription when I was in high school. I used to draw all of the awful gore pics in art class whenever we were assigned to copy from a source. It got me sent to the school psychologist.

This was well before Columbine, so nobody was too worried. I had to spend lunchtime with two arsonists, a cutter, and "the weird kid" for a couple weeks, though.

You should have slipped the psychologist a copy of Brainscan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Out of curiosity I went to Fango's website. 12 loving dollars per magazine.

I guess this makes sense. The target audience is people who will drop $35 on blu-rays of movies that will always be on Youtube (not intended as a bad judgement).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was more a Starlog man, myself.

According to Wiki:

quote:

"On December 5, 2007, a warehouse operated by Kable News, in Oregon, Illinois, which contained all back issues of Starlog and Fangoria magazines, was destroyed by fire. As back issues of Starlog are not re-printed, the only remaining back issues are now housed in private collections or those available on the secondary market."

"Jeremy! THE FEDS ARE ONTO US! Somebody talked! Quick, burn down the warehouse with all those back issues in it! I'm going to be breaking all the CD-Roms with a hammer!"

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

DangerDummy! posted:

I had to spend lunchtime with two arsonists, a cutter, and "the weird kid" for a couple weeks, though.
That sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Let's segregate all of the students we suspect might be mentally unstable, put the in a small group, and leave them under limited supervision.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Heteroy posted:

That sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Let's segregate all of the students we suspect might be mentally unstable, put the in a small group, and leave them under limited supervision.

Public schools in all their glory. One of the arsonists merely set stuff on fire, like trash cans and stuff, the other actually tried burning down an abandoned warehouse. The cutter was self-explanatory. Pretty nice guy, really. The weird kid never bathed and would growl at people a lot. There was also Hassan, who was prone to aggravated assault, and accidentally died at the hands of his accomplice during a home invasion shortly after dropping out. Again, pretty nice guy, all things considered.

I was a fifteen year old who drew a few pictures of screen caps from Pumpkin Head. To be fair, I also had long hair.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm pretty sure you're describing some sort of government program designed to recreate the time travel from The Butterfly Effect and you just washed out for not being extreme enough. I mean, did you even try to blow up a baby with some dynamite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ror posted:

I'm pretty sure you're describing some sort of government program designed to recreate the time travel from The Butterfly Effect and you just washed out for not being extreme enough. I mean, did you even try to blow up a baby with some dynamite?

I constantly forget how stupid that movie is. Time for a relisten, I guess. That episode also contains my favorite Steve transition: "Speaking of raining donuts, Ethan Suplee.."