Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Hi.
I'm Bluestreak.
I own and operate https://www.beyondthehorizonradio.com
It was started to be an innernets radio station for players of games whilst they piloted their ships through the PU.

I realized early on that there was nothing worth covering in Star Citizen, at least until there's a game to actually play, so we branched out to other stuff.

Tech news, current events, gaming news, music.
My show, which airs Saturdays from Noon until 3pm eastern is called "The Show with BS"
Another show that we're trying to get running again is called "Drinking and Dicing" - where we buy a tabletop game, an adult beverage of commensurate value, and then playtest and review them both (thankfully, this isn't a live show).

There were a few other shows that have come and gone, one was a Goon-based show (which I enjoyed very much) called VCRS.

Nice to meet you.

Rad. Thanks for the response. I'll check it out.

Good luck with the whole upset CIG staff thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammerstein posted:

Honestly, when it comes to the basic idea that SC demo is gorgeous. Especially if a newbie SC follower does not know that the part they showed is probably everything they currently have and that the outlook of such a game system working on the scale of a huge, persistent universe is ridiculous given today's tech.

Compared to what they showed the EVE trailer is far more misleading. Elite however is cool and good. Valkyrie looks great, but seems too dumbed down and looks more like a shooter than a space fighter sim. Dreadnought is like World of Warships but with space ships and different roles.

Would it surprise you that those scenes were actually replicated from footage that players submitted to CCP for the ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zXxXuQdHHo

It's not surprising they don't include the normal game UI etc. but that's probably the most genuine/spot on EVE trailer CCP has ever made.

Compared to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3060a8NkOk (some of the audio is taken from players) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHH_MHd0c94

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 15, 2015

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want to genuinely know how people think this:

is far more reason to get excited for a game than say

or this

Like that gameplay just comes off as dull, and makes me think its a sci-fi Guns of Icarus clone. Which is fine because those sort of games can be fun (there's a victorian era boat game that's coming out soonish that looks fun) but how is this going to be the BDSSE?

I'm not really into space ship games enough to want to play those other games, but the sim-ish style of star Citizen appeals to me. You might think it's boring but I don't mind the action being interspersed between periods of downtime as you dick about doing other stuff. I'll play it in the vein of Arma or DayZ. Also, only Valkyrie actually looks like a gameplay demo out of all those besides SC.

I haven't backed this game so I don't really care what was promised to dumb nerds who spend hundreds of dollars years ago. If it comes out and is reasonably fun I'll buy it. Which is what I don't get this thread: If you actually spent hundreds of dollars backing this at some point then I think it's waaaay too late to start acting smug about other backers whether you got a refund or made a profit or not. You're a mega nerd! You guys are super invested and making hundreds or even thousands of posts a day screaming about other people who did the same thing you did.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hey Unfunny, would you reccomend reactivating Eve to an old timer account that hasnt been active since early 2011 to get rid of that space itch?

I dont remember if i logged out in an old Goonswarm base or not though..

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Mukip posted:

I'm not really into space ship games enough to want to play those other games, but the sim-ish style of star Citizen appeals to me. You might think it's boring but I don't mind the action being interspersed between periods of downtime as you dick about doing other stuff. I'll play it in the vein of Arma or DayZ. Also, only Valkyrie actually looks like a gameplay demo out of all those besides SC.

I haven't backed this game so I don't really care what was promised to dumb nerds who spend hundreds of dollars years ago. If it comes out and is reasonably fun I'll buy it. Which is what I don't get this thread: If you actually spent hundreds of dollars backing this at some point then I think it's waaaay too late to start acting smug about other backers whether you got a refund or made a profit or not. You're a mega nerd! You guys are super invested and making hundreds or even thousands of posts a day screaming about other people who did the same thing you did.

who spend thousands of dollars years ago

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grimcreaper posted:

Hey Unfunny, would you reccomend reactivating Eve to an old timer account that hasnt been active since early 2011 to get rid of that space itch?

I dont remember if i logged out in an old Goonswarm base or not though..

A lot has changed since 2011. They got rid of the old sov system and it's working out pretty interestingly. Mostly the changes caused the old mega coalitions for the most part to fall apart except Goons' CFC group so most of Nullsec is balkanized, they've also introduced a bunch of new balance changes and some new ships along the way like Tech 3 Destroyers and the Mordus Legion faction ships that are both pretty pimp. I'd give it a shot for a month and see if its up to what you want to do, though I'd highly recommend joining a SIG if you stay in GoonSwarm.

You can read up on whats changed here: https://www.updates.eveonline.com or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online.

I like the changes and the upcoming ones (new PVE stuff based off Blood Raiders, the Drifter Incursions finally being fixed and re-added, etc.) make me pretty stoked.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 15, 2015

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Another crash to desktop. It is just so beautiful. They should have sent a poet.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

A lot has changed since 2011. They got rid of the old sov system and it's working out pretty interestingly. Mostly the changes caused the old mega coalitions for the most part to fall apart except Goons' CFC group so most of Nullsec is balkanized, they've also introduced a bunch of new balance changes and some new ships along the way like Tech 3 Destroyers and the Mordus Legion faction ships that are both pretty pimp. I'd give it a shot for a month and see if its up to what you want to do, though I'd highly recommend joining a SIG if you stay in GoonSwarm.

You can read up on whats changed here: https://www.updates.eveonline.com

Awesome, thanks. I liked a lot about eve, but there were a lot of things that always bugged me. Im pretty sure i would have been removed from Goonswarm for being inactive for years. Never really got far, if i remember right i was trying to go with a destroyer missile build. i think i will reactivate.

Umm.. 1 quesiton first though. i know i screwed up before my account lapsed and i didnt buy a new clone, atleast im pretty sure im remembering that right... are non-goon ships still Kill on Sight with the turrets around goon bases?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kordansk posted:

Another crash to desktop. It is just so beautiful. They should have sent a poet.

Like, how do you defend this? This is supposed to be after four years of work? How do you look at this and go 'Yeah, sure, this will be released in a year. poo poo goes from pre-alpha to finished in that time period with almost every game'

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That space station that is supposedly inhabited by people seems uninhabited outside of those players.

grimcreaper posted:

Awesome, thanks. I liked a lot about eve, but there were a lot of things that always bugged me. Im pretty sure i would have been removed from Goonswarm for being inactive for years. Never really got far, if i remember right i was trying to go with a destroyer missile build. i think i will reactivate.

Umm.. 1 quesiton first though. i know i screwed up before my account lapsed and i didnt buy a new clone, atleast im pretty sure im remembering that right... are non-goon ships still Kill on Sight with the turrets around goon bases?

I don't fly with Goons in EVE. You'll need to check the OP for the EVE thread, I'm pretty sure the info on how to re-activate/re-join if you were purged for inactivity is there.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Like, how do you defend this? This is supposed to be after four years of work? How do you look at this and go 'Yeah, sure, this will be released in a year. poo poo goes from pre-alpha to finished in that time period with almost every game'

Its a brand new alpha version. While i will bash Star Citizen for a lot, its easy for ANY alpha revision to have really bad problems. Crashes are ironed out around major patches pretty quick though. But, this is no way intended to defend CIG, just more of a "this is what happens in major alpha patches" kinda thing.

E: Will do, thanks for the info Unfunny!

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

kordansk posted:

That's OK.

Star Citizen: Just crashed to desktop, that's OK.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

And bear in mind, no ship sold can be used in squadron 42. When people buy ships they are buying them to be used only in the MMO part.

There's actually people who spent 1000s on this and don't ever plan to play online. They just wanted their wing commander clone.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Why is an alpha numbered 1.3. Shouldn't it be 0.045 or some poo poo.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Dapper Dan posted:

They just think WB set a new game development paradigm with the release of Arkham Knight. :eng101:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

You have to wonder at this point about the mindset of Croberts and his inner circle. Do they know this ship is going to the bottom of the drink and they are just trying to stop the other passengers from panicking while they look for the life boats, or have they convinced themselves that the ship isn't going under and everything is OK?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

kordansk posted:

Why is an alpha numbered 1.3. Shouldn't it be 0.045 or some poo poo.

Cause they're going to release alpha 2.0 or some poo poo. Seriously.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

grimcreaper posted:

Its a brand new alpha version. While i will bash Star Citizen for a lot, its easy for ANY alpha revision to have really bad problems. Crashes are ironed out around major patches pretty quick though. But, this is no way intended to defend CIG, just more of a "this is what happens in major alpha patches" kinda thing.

E: Will do, thanks for the info Unfunny!

I mean, a new alpha, ok. But it has been four years and the best they can show is just running around and flying a ship. After all this time and money, there is still nothing to do. There's really no indication anything is connected, just a disparate amount of stuff. If it were a year and a half or something, fine. But this has been in development for a long time. I've seen alphas with more to do. My point is how do you go from an alpha with nothing to do to complete game in a year?

Io_ posted:

They just think WB set a new game development paradigm with the release of Arkham Knight. :eng101:

At least Steam got refunds out before that WB debacle.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
The irony is that you could literally take these assets, a couple dozen talented UE4 developers, and give them 6 months and they would have something that looked better than this.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The French Army! posted:

You have to wonder at this point about the mindset of Croberts and his inner circle. Do they know this ship is going to the bottom of the drink and they are just trying to stop the other passengers from panicking while they look for the life boats, or have they convinced themselves that the ship isn't going under and everything is OK?

Probably a bit of both.

I can only imagine people still working there are riding this poo poo out as long as they keep getting their salary.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kordansk posted:

The irony is that you could literally take these assets, a couple dozen talented UE4 developers, and give them 6 months and they would have something that looked better than this.

Pretty much. And there are way cheaper engines too. The whole thing speaks of extravagence and bloat.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look at this thread
This thread is amazing
Give it a lick

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

The whole thing speaks of extravagence and bloat.

So does Chris roberts.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

Pretty much. And there are way cheaper engines too. The whole thing speaks of extravagence and bloat.

In that stream I linked, true believers said they chose CryEngine to 'revamp' the engine. What the poo poo....

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Please post more pics of Oldman with things in his mouth. I need them for .........reasons.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Guns of Icarus kind of game set in space would totally be fun. Hell doing that in a sandbox esque map with no no real goal or focus where people can carve out their own areas to play (a la Minecraft) would be cool and fun too. Especially with multiplayer servers/support.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

A Guns of Icarus kind of game set in space would totally be fun. Hell doing that in a sandbox esque map with no no real goal or focus where people can carve out their own areas to play (a la Minecraft) would be cool and fun too. Especially with multiplayer servers/support.

Give us some kind of salvaging/mechanic type roll and I'm there. Want to take apart and fix things, not shoot everyone to death. Thats boring after a while. Hell I can hardly even log my drat carrier in to rat anymore.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Twitch stream shows guy falling through floor and drinking vodka through his forehead. I may need to buy into this amazing Goat Simulator knock off.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wulfling posted:

Give us some kind of salvaging/mechanic type roll and I'm there. Want to take apart and fix things, not shoot everyone to death. Thats boring after a while. Hell I can hardly even log my drat carrier in to rat anymore.

I have no idea how that is done in terms of coding but I can't imagine that's impossible to do.

Hell, Space Engineers basically is doing what I want but has poo poo multiplayer support.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

I have no idea how that is done in terms of coding but I can't imagine that's impossible to do.

Hell, Space Engineers basically is doing what I want but has poo poo multiplayer support.

Yes. Thats the big reason I've not picked that game up yet. Also I'm not that drat imaginative.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
So if all the Illfonic work on the FPS did mostly get wasted, at least they did drew some inspiration from their interaction with CIG and did something with the money.

Friday the 13th: The Game

quote:

The great news is that we’re not starting from scratch! We have already invested a lot, both financially and emotionally, into Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp.
You get to stalk camp counselors in Camp Crystal Lake and brutally kill in new and inventive ways (as well as some that will seem all too familiar). Grab a counselor in a choke hold, pick them up off the ground, and smash their face into a tree. Repeatedly. Or how about lifting a counselor up above your head as they kick and scream, holding them aloft long enough to walk near a rack of farm spikes to slam your victim down upon them? Yes, you get to do that because that’s what Jason does. He’s an unflinching, brutal killing force; the ultimate predator

quote:

We’re proud to announce that Friday the 13th: The Game, and Jason Voorhees's return to video games, is fueled by none other than the amazing Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kordansk posted:

In that stream I linked, true believers said they chose CryEngine to 'revamp' the engine. What the poo poo....

Pretty stupid. CryEngine is expensive and trying to re-vamp it is idiotic. Better to pick another, cheaper engine (Unreal 4 is pretty good as people mentioned), rather than an espensive one that you are re-vamping.

Romes128 posted:

So does Chris roberts.

:vince:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

WebDog posted:

Also that's for a medical field not remotely to do with anything in business or marketing. What were Sandi's qualifications that have now vanished off her emails? Also that is the correct UniSA branding - the motto is correct and the stripes do appear in other paperwork.

Yeah the letter clearly states that it's for some sort of Health Science degree, not an MBA at all. She's claiming to have a health science degree in addition to an MBA.

I'm guessing the thought process here is if she proves a small part of the story, i.e. that she went to a university, then it follows that all her detractors must be liars. Clearly she didn't study logic! Boom roasted.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AP posted:

So if all the Illfonic work on the FPS did mostly get wasted, at least they did drew some inspiration from their interaction with CIG and did something with the money.

Friday the 13th: The Game

Kind of impressed they got Tom Savini on board. That's pretty cool.

EDIT:
Hahaha, and they got the guy who played Jason to do motion capture. This looks amazing, actually. And they actually got gifted the licence. Like, this is how you do a game that you want to be a movie. Holy poo poo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

punchymcpunch posted:

Yeah the letter clearly states that it's for some sort of Health Science degree, not an MBA at all. She's claiming to have a health science degree in addition to an MBA.

I'm guessing the thought process here is if she proves a small part of the story, i.e. that she went to a university, then it follows that all her detractors must be liars. Clearly she didn't study logic! Boom roasted.

I'll shave my pubes if she was MBA of anything.

Given her current predicament, which she decided to embark upon, is the biggest PR disaster I've seen for a game.

And its pure comedy, I hope she doesn't stop doing whats she's so good at.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

So does Chris roberts.

Croberts is the extravagance, Lesnick is the bloat.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

quote:

The great news is that we’re not starting from scratch! We have already invested a lot, both financially and emotionally, into Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp.
You get to stalk camp counselors in Camp Crystal Lake and brutally kill in new and inventive ways (as well as some that will seem all too familiar). Grab a counselor in a choke hold, pick them up off the ground, and smash their face into a tree. Repeatedly. Or how about lifting a counselor up above your head as they kick and scream, holding them aloft long enough to walk near a rack of farm spikes to slam your victim down upon them? Yes, you get to do that because that’s what Jason does. He’s an unflinching, brutal killing force; the ultimate predator

This sounds like the stuff some slash fanfic neckbeard would write in his basement, think Agony in Pink (don't google and read that if you value your sanity).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxeEc_DgXU

Awkward moments with :lesnick: epsidoe 37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Io_ posted:

Croberts is the extravagance, Lesnick is the bloat.

Didn't you not see the potential subsonic projectile that was his bottom shirt button during citCon?

• Locked thread