Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

projecthalaxy posted:

Noted girls Shawn Michaels all the time (as above, Mania 12, etc), Edge, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry, Ric Flair, and so forth are making their gender look bad with their horrid weepy ways.

Mania XX too, but the less said about Chris Benoit, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

why the gently caress is that article on Forbes of all places? :psyduck:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TinTower posted:

It depends on the match. Dolph Ziggler gets some credit for rescuing the IC match at Elimination Chamber from Mark Henry, but it was still a bad match.

Anyway, have an article about how for women's wrestling to be taken seriously, the NXT Divas need to stop crying after winning.

I'm just gonna leave this here. No reason:

Shawn Michaels is a huge diva, actually

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

The man's theme music is him singing about how he's jot a boytoy, and you think he might be a diva

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

he's a superstar, idiot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

all news sites are now dumb clickbait bullshit

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The women's matches on NXT have done a better job than pretty much other match WWE has done in years at making you feel the competitors really care about winning the match they're in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DJExile posted:

Forbes has been doing more wrestling articles because they have a fan on staff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm pretty sure that's apart of the Blog part of Forbes, due to the "Contributer" not "Forbes Staff" tag. I'm going to just quote Bryan when he responded to it.

"These NXT guys and girls. They come in together, they train together, they grow up together, they party together, and this is Sasha's farewell match, she is leaving all of the people she's grown with to move on to the next stage. Yes she'll probably come back for guest spots, but this is real emotion."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TL posted:

The women's matches on NXT have done a better job than pretty much other match WWE has done in years at making you feel the competitors really care about winning the match they're in.

I also get the feeling the NXT women could even pull off a Hell in a Cell match if they were given the opportunity.

(Dear Vince, please book Bayley and Sasha for a Hell in a Cell match at Wrestlemania)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I legit miss the Real Americans.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ShootaBoy posted:

I legit miss the Real Americans.

Well I mean he's not wrong. If Jack Swagger went to Impact he would probably literally ever get booked, which is a sharp improvement. Probably get a faction around him as a former WHC.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

He'd only get paid for like a week tops. Also isn't TNA still without a network right now?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

He'd only get paid for like a week tops. Also isn't TNA still without a network right now?

TNA is on DA for the remainder of the year, but are off after that

Plus all their TV is shot until then

Plus they cancelled their last house shows because they were selling well but they had some pesky logistical issues

Right now we're waiting for an announcement of a rumored India tour after they keep recursively making announcements about making announcements.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

TNA is on DA for the remainder of the year, but are off after that

Plus all their TV is shot until then

Plus they cancelled their last house shows because they were selling well but they had some pesky logistical issues

Right now we're waiting for an announcement of a rumored India tour after they keep recursively making announcements about making announcements.

Is their TV shot until then? Aren't they just piecing together random matches they filmed just in case into a tournament right now because they have nothing in the can?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is their TV shot until then? Aren't they just piecing together random matches they filmed just in case into a tournament right now because they have nothing in the can?

Same thing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know why Swagger would take the Real American gimmick somewhere else. It's not even his gimmick. Even the All-American American was a self-centered douchebag character. Anywhere else he'd be Jake Hager, Collegiate Wrestler.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I'm still surprised they never went full Biff Tannen with Swagger.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Swagger was pretty drat awesome when he had the Swagger Soaring Eagle and his dad Bunkhouse Buck and delicious Swaggie Sammiches. Then he won the World title and I guess someone decided champions shouldn't have personality.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

DeathChicken posted:

Swagger was pretty drat awesome when he had the Swagger Soaring Eagle and his dad Bunkhouse Buck and delicious Swaggie Sammiches. Then he won the World title and I guess someone decided champions shouldn't have personality.

Didn't all that stuff happen while he was Champion? The big reason his championship sucked is because in matches he was booked like a geek against the Big Show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also they decided he was Very Serious Chris Jericho, which is not the way to book the platonic ideal of a high school jock who just won something big.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
NXT must be a lot better than the WWE women's wrestling, because I caught some of that last month and goddamn is it bad. Granted, the men's wrestling isn't super great right now, either.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

natetimm posted:

NXT must be a lot better than the WWE women's wrestling, because I caught some of that last month and goddamn is it bad. Granted, the men's wrestling isn't super great right now, either.

Sasha Banks and Bayley had an Iron Woman match at TakeOver Respect and it's a strong contender for Match of the Year.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

TinTower posted:

Sasha Banks and Bayley had an Iron Woman match at TakeOver Respect and it's a strong contender for Match of the Year.

That's good to hear. Hopefully they get called up soon and shake up the main roster. I'm not super sold on any of the male or female main players in WWE at the moment. I think I'm enjoying watching Owens the most right now.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

That's good to hear. Hopefully they get called up soon and shake up the main roster.
Oh dear.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sorry, was that actually WWE? I thought he was talking about NXT.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Sorry, was that actually WWE? I thought he was talking about NXT.
No, you were right the first time. It's just that WWE has hosed up the call-ups of each and every NXT guy or girl so far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Sasha Banks got called up and she's been criminally under-utilised in the Divas Revolution. As have all of the women whose last names don't end with Bella or Flair, let's be honest.

Revenant Threshold posted:

No, you were right the first time. It's just that WWE has hosed up the call-ups of each and every NXT guy or girl so far.

I think they've booked Kevin Owens pretty well, considering. I want to see more of Neville and Kalisto, though. The latter without Sin Cara. :v:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 15, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sasha banks has been protected since her callup, and was intentionally put in a position on raw where the fans were supposed to clamor for her to the detriment of the match happening in the ring but even with that in mind it's been like two months and she hasn't been featured or promoted in any way

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Maybe it's me, but I can't really discern any real difference in personality or character between most of the divas currently on WWE programming, except Flair's daughter. None of them seem to have a real gimmick or unique thing and their interviews all seem to bog down into them all being similarly bitchy to each other. Without the crowd noise and having seen some stuff on the internet, I wouldn't even be able to tell who is the face and heel most of the time. Obviously, most of that is piss-poor writing on WWE's part, but man is it bad.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Maybe it's me, but I can't really discern any real difference in personality or character between most of the divas currently on WWE programming, except Flair's daughter. None of them seem to have a real gimmick or unique thing and their interviews all seem to bog down into them all being similarly bitchy to each other. Without the crowd noise and having seen some stuff on the internet, I wouldn't even be able to tell who is the face and heel most of the time. Obviously, most of that is piss-poor writing on WWE's part, but man is it bad.
Basically all of the currently-used women on the main roster excepting the Bellas and Alicia Fox have shown in NXT* that they've certainly got the capability for interesting characters and interviews you give a poo poo about. It's 100% the piss-poor writing, sadly.

*Or social media, with Naomi and Tamina, though that's to a lesser extent.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I was watching a episode a while back and they were all feuding over the fact that someone threw a party and nobody came or some other trivial poo poo, and all it did is make all of them look super petty and immature without adding any sort of heat or intrigue to the match at all. Two girls want to fight over fake party attendance backstage. That will put asses in the seats!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yo ucan't tell the difference between heel and face because for the last couple months we've had a face team, a heel team, and real honest to god tweener team who changes alignment week to week and sometimes even during the same show

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There's no reason outside of bone headedness that the Raw womens division shouldn't be really great and interesting.

NXT Womens division elevated itself from "haha, this is a lot better than the Raw Divas" to "holy poo poo, this is the best part of NXT" over the last six months, and this is all it took:

- Becky Lynch becomes #1 contender
- A couple of segments culminating in a contract signing/brawl. Nice video package.
- A really close match where Becky came up just short.

- Bayley becomes #1 contender
- A couple of segments culminating in a contract signing/brawl. Nice video package.
- A really close match where Bayley wins

- Sasha requests rematch. Granted. Main Event! Ironman!
- Nice video package.

Super, super basic booking. It wasn't even given all that much time outside of Bayley's winning streak (The ironman build was literally one live segment and video packages). They just set the matches up and let the wrestlers do their thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Sasha also understands basic ring psychology more than most people on the roster. She got nuclear heat for stealing Izzy's headband during the Iron Woman match. :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That was very cool because it turned the big halftime rest spot into one of the most memorable moments of the match. Imagine they'd just done a chinlock for 2 minutes instead.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

St Evan Echoes posted:

There's no reason outside of bone headedness that the Raw womens division shouldn't be really great and interesting.

NXT Womens division elevated itself from "haha, this is a lot better than the Raw Divas" to "holy poo poo, this is the best part of NXT" over the last six months, and this is all it took:

- Becky Lynch becomes #1 contender
- A really close match where Becky came up just short.

- Bayley becomes #1 contender

- Sasha requests rematch. Granted. Main Event! Ironman!
- Nice video package.

Super, super basic booking. It wasn't even given all that much time outside of Bayley's winning streak (The ironman build was literally one live segment and video packages). They just set the matches up and let the wrestlers do their thing.

All of this requires treating women as athletes and well-rounded characters, which is impossible for those in charge on the main roster. The most telling thing is that all main roster women's matches are prefaced with, "The following is a DIIIIIVAS match..." instead of the standard, "The following is a one fall/tag match/etc." Once you treat the match as some sideshow attraction, it will never be taken seriously by the audience.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how much of it is down to Triple H and Stephanie, how much is down to Vince, and how much is down to NBC. I get the feeling that Triple H and Stephanie would be more amenable to treating the women on the roster like athletes, perhaps just simply because they're younger than Vince "what's good in the hood, my nigga" McMahon.

One of my favourite things about Sasha stealing Izzy's headband is not just the basic ring psychology of "do heel things, get heat", but the more advanced psychology of "how to turn incredibly cheap heat nuclear". It was as cheap, and as amazing, as the famous Shawn Michaels promo in Montreal, or the Rock's concert in Sacramento.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Plus she got a very split crowd (because who doesn't love Sasha?) to get solidly behind Bayley. The sort of mind that says "I'm being cheered, but that's not what I want right now, I should do something about that." is one that should go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TinTower posted:

Sasha also understands basic ring psychology more than most people on the roster. She got nuclear heat for stealing Izzy's headband during the Iron Woman match. :allears:
I've told this story before, but I became a Sasha fan when I went to an NXT house show. She didn't wrestle, but she came out with Becky Lynch who was wrestling Bayley. (Charlotte was champ at the time and came out to support Bayley.) Anyway. Sasha spent most of the match right in front of where I was sitting, and she would trash talk any time I cheered for Bayley and any time Becky did something. That was the moment that she really clicked for me.