Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Meinberg posted:

Foo is at the top of my "look at this guy" list, but right now I feel like he's fading into the background despite making a lot of posts, which is probably a bad thing!!

Which of Foo's posts are bad? I'm interested as I have the opposite reaction.
Annoying yes, somewhat condescending yes, but reading townie to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

The buildup to his vote doesn't make any sense. It seems like theater

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tremendous Taste posted:

The buildup to his vote doesn't make any sense. It seems like theater

I'm tending to agree.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Meinberg posted:

Foo is at the top of my "look at this guy" list, but right now I feel like he's fading into the background despite making a lot of posts, which is probably a bad thing!!

I'm definitely a victim of him not being on my list because he posts a lot.

ljtrigirl posted:

*shrug* I'm not going to force content. I pretty much just post what I'm thinking, stream of consciousness style.

I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

Read foo's history from a perspective where he's scum trying to step backwards into a vote that seems sincere

It's like he's arguing with himself

He's definitely blowing your play out of proportion:

Captain Foo posted:

attempting to get people's attention is better than not posting or providing anything of worth, which is what you seem to be doing

Captain Foo posted:

i'm getting annoyed with taste because he seems rather content to snipe at people trying to generate content also he never answered one of my questions re: the vig

Considering how neutral he's been about other things, such as my play,

Captain Foo posted:

i tend to let things like that slide a little more on D1 when there isn't a ton to go on in the first place

it's super strange that he's not giving you that sort of benefit of the doubt.

##vote captain foo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Birdstrike posted:

Birdstrike posted:

I'm tending to agree.

In the first post, you say you have the opposite reaction. In the second post, you say that you agree. Is your opinion reversed that easily?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SirSamVimes posted:

In the first post, you say you have the opposite reaction. In the second post, you say that you agree. Is your opinion reversed that easily?

My initial read was that "Foo's generating content in post, that's townie" and "Foo's giving me a hard time for being an idiot, that's townie."

But when you actually reread Foo's posts, most of them are questions about how other people feel without adding anything of use. Then he votes Taste with not a whole lot of justification - with that build up, it would have made more sense if Foo voted me instead of Taste.

I'm thinking there are better options than 100Yrs, eg still looking at Hal. ##unvote

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Birdstrike posted:

LJ you should put more content in your posts or Captain Foo will get annoyed. Personally I don't care.

No.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Meinberg posted:

My gut says Bird, but I might be internally tunneling on him too much. I probably should take a look at other folks. Hal is being a bit too lurkery, if he doesn't put out more on D2, he's someone I'll want to consider.

Why do you think Bird is evil?

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Was he the one that asked me why I didn't vote with Mein after I said that I liked his post?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ljtrigirl posted:

Was he the one that asked me why I didn't vote with Mein after I said that I liked his post?

Yes (hello)

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Yes (hello)

I could see that maybe. I always hate questions like that. You can think someone is coming from a good perspective or like the way they're contributing without actually agreeing with them.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Birdstrike posted:

My initial read was that "Foo's generating content in post, that's townie" and "Foo's giving me a hard time for being an idiot, that's townie."

But when you actually reread Foo's posts, most of them are questions about how other people feel without adding anything of use. Then he votes Taste with not a whole lot of justification - with that build up, it would have made more sense if Foo voted me instead of Taste.

I'm thinking there are better options than 100Yrs, eg still looking at Hal. ##unvote

Do you think foo might be scum now? This post had a decent case against him but you don't seem to have any interest in voting him.

You've been acting weird all game.

##vote birdstrike

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Oh I definitely have interest, but I want to see what discussion takes place. Especially as this is the deadest part of the day as far as participation goes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I may not be around for deadline. When I wake up I'll be leaving for the mountain and then I'll be skiing.

With the fact that Hal has done nothing still, I'm happy leaving my vote on him though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

conversely if you read my history making the assumption that i post short thoughts as they come to me as opposed to assuming my scumminess then you end up with me getting annoyed with taste and trying to pressure him to post more with my vote

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He's definitely blowing your play out of proportion:

Considering how neutral he's been about other things, such as my play,

it's super strange that he's not giving you that sort of benefit of the doubt.

##vote captain foo

the post of mine that you quoted about letting things slide isn't referring to trying to shut down content, it's referring to asking people questions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ljtrigirl posted:

I could see that maybe. I always hate questions like that. You can think someone is coming from a good perspective or like the way they're contributing without actually agreeing with them.

one of the issues is that you didn't really have any other content to speak of so when the only post you have is slippery like that, it's bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ljtrigirl posted:

idk. Usually I'd do a wrapup post with my all reads here, but I don't really have any strong ones in any direction. I think I have a serious style clash with a few people, which always makes it hard for me to sort scum from just different playstyles.

I want Meinberg to be good, but the whole contributing thing that he's doing is weirding me out.

I think SSV is good? His tone is different enough from my last game with him that it feels notable.

My best guess at scum right now would probably be 100, just because that post naming everyone felt kind of like fishing to see if he could get buyin for a mislynch on me. If he is scum, I'd bet that at least one partner is in the "I don't know these people" list because that's a really easy way to avoid giving reads on a scumbuddy.

I think I've talked myself into voting 100.

##vote 100

i don't get those same vibes from the names post tbh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ljtrigirl posted:

Just because I liked it didn't mean I agreed with it.

idk, it seems like you'd be implying you'd agree with it, otherwise saying you like a contentful post is really worthless

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

conversely if you read my history making the assumption that i post short thoughts as they come to me as opposed to assuming my scumminess then you end up with me getting annoyed with taste and trying to pressure him to post more with my vote

TT starting his read on me with "if you assume foo is scummy, you can read him in a way that seems scummy" leaves a bad

taste

in my mouth, i guess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

boy he nailed that one :mad:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

I would like this vote if it wasn't an omgus.

Birdstrike posted:

Moving on, I don't think SSV's vote is bad.

these are only a couple of posts apart

cool contradiction dude

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I've liked your play except for that vote. And that vote's pretty scummy. Was it worth voting him just because he was bothering you? Or is this your way of walking back from that vote. Either way you don't make it seem like that vote is actually a statement on taste's scumminess.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Birdstrike (2): Meinberg, AnonymousNarcotics
Captain Foo (2): Tremendous Taste, 100YrsofAttitude
Hal Incandenza (1): SirSamVimes
Tremendous Taste (1): Captain Foo
100YrsofAttitude (1): Captain Foo, Birdstrike, -Captain Foo, ljtrigirl, -Birdstrike
SirSamVimes (1): Hal Incandenza

Not Voting (1): Birdstrike

:h: With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is October 15th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 11 hours, 10 minutes.

===========
ATLANTA, Feb 10 (Reuters) - Lynchings in which mobs raided jailhouses to hang, torture and burn alive black men, sometimes leading to public executions in courthouse squares, occurred more often in the U.S. South than was previously known, according to a report released on Tuesday.

The slightest transgression could spur violence, the Equal Justice Initiative found, as it documented 3,959 victims of lynching in a dozen Southern states.

The group said it found 700 more lynchings of black people in the region than had been previously reported.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ljtrigirl posted:

My best guess at scum right now would probably be 100, just because that post naming everyone felt kind of like fishing to see if he could get buyin for a mislynch on me. If he is scum, I'd bet that at least one partner is in the "I don't know these people" list because that's a really easy way to avoid giving reads on a scumbuddy.

I think I've talked myself into voting 100.

##vote 100

Turns out the only people I really don't know are you and birdstrike. But what's with the insecurity? I wasn't necessarily gunning for you but only suggesting the 3 players I found most suspicious at that moment.

Omg anon how the hell do you have the patience to only phonepost!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was hoping you'd continue to enlighten us with tidbits of the sad history of lynchings to better educate us on the subject Ecco.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

i'm getting annoyed with taste because he seems rather content to snipe at people trying to generate content also he never answered one of my questions re: the vig

i didn't like taste not providing a lot of content, so i voted him; avoiding providing content and antagonizing people providing content isn't town-friendly

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That didn't happen, though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anon + hal: one post with content each; ultimately null but lurking is awful

im having a hard time coming to grips with LJ's posting style, i think it's lowcontent (because it generally is) but it doesn't strike me as deliberately low-content, if that makes sense. I don't like her conclusions, though - being suspicious of meinberg engaging even though he himself hasn't posted much? She seems to feel really targeted by 100yoa's names post, but I don't follow that either. leaning scummy.

taste i think i've explained

birdstrike is on my scum radar too, what with the blatant contradiction and the weird declaration of omgus

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Meinberg posted:

And see how his post has indeed generated content! I'll agree that some basic polling and questioning of others isn't too out of line at this phase. Personally, I can see his thought process and it's a null for me, with the potential to swing either way based on future content.

As a note, I've arrived in AC and intend to stay in my hotel room fairly often and enjoy the relaxing environment. I hopefully will be able to keep up with things, baring my occasional trips to the floor.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Oh come on, by that metric a fake scumclaim would be a productive town move

vOv

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

With the fact that Hal has done nothing still, I'm happy leaving my vote on him though.

Way to really put some effort into scumhunting there buddy.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I am not sure what point you are trying to make there, but I think Taste's point is valid. There are good ways to try and generate content, and there are ways of using that as an excuse to say little and let others generate content for you to work with when you are stuck trying to force reads. What 100years did felt like the second kind. It's wrapped up in a lot of fluff and buddying and feels fake.

Meinberg's reaction to it and defense of it feels off to me as well, it takes no critical look at the situation and is just waves away any analysis of what happened and tries to brush the whole thing under the table.

OMGUS or whatever, but I also don't like Vimes play too much this game, it's a good example of posting noise and saying little of substance, something I find to be scummier more often than just lurking (merk would say Vimes is content lurking).

I'll vote with the thing that has pinged me the most though ##vote 100years

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was hoping you'd continue to enlighten us with tidbits of the sad history of lynchings to better educate us on the subject Ecco.

each day a new fact until we all get back to the plorpwagon!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Captain Foo posted:

these are only a couple of posts apart

cool contradiction dude

Why are you avoiding my assessment of you? That's kind of scummy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

i already posted further explanation of my taste vote :confused:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Birdstrike posted:

Why are you avoiding my assessment of you? That's kind of scummy.

hahahaha get a load of this guy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I was hoping in Foo's wall of posts there would be some acknowledgment that most of the "content" he generated was just asking someone a question without providing any reads on people.

But whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

I was hoping in Foo's wall of posts there would be some acknowledgment that most of the "content" he generated was just asking someone a question without providing any reads on people.

But whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe you could explain your contradiction instead of pushing a narrative that i wasn't offering opinions

because i was offering opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Captain Foo posted:

maybe you could explain your contradiction instead of pushing a narrative that i wasn't offering opinions

because i was offering opinions

Maybe you could find the shift key.

• Locked thread