Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I already know the answer to this question and you're not going to change my mind

This is kinda where I lost interest, but I'll say that anyone who said something towards the middle and in particular the answer above is where I fall. Is it your boss's responsibility to teach you a new technology that reasonably falls under the realm of what you do? Like Windows 10 to a desktop person or a new flavor of Javascript your company wants to check out? Why would you NOT take the initiative? Conversely if they implement something vastly different maybe it skews more towards their side but it's certainly not as polarized as you make it sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dark Helmut posted:

This is kinda where I lost interest, but I'll say that anyone who said something towards the middle and in particular the answer above is where I fall. Is it your boss's responsibility to teach you a new technology that reasonably falls under the realm of what you do? Like Windows 10 to a desktop person or a new flavor of Javascript your company wants to check out? Why would you NOT take the initiative? Conversely if they implement something vastly different maybe it skews more towards their side but it's certainly not as polarized as you make it sound.

In my experience, regardless of whose responsibility it is, you won't get trained unless you ask. Even then, you probably won't be given the resources you need to be trained or learn what you need to survive.
Take this with a grain of salt, though. I've worked in some pretty lovely places.
It may be his job to train you, but it's YOUR job to be able to do YOUR job. If poo poo hits the fan and it's something that you don't know, but should. Who is going to get blamed?
Do everything within your power to take initiative and learn all you can.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it's reasonable that the employee is expected to stay up to date on the technology for their position, in so far as keeping up to date with version differences, standards and practices, etc. However, if the employer notices a weakness, wants to add responsibilities to the position, or wants to go through a bigger technology change, they should put resources available to the employee for training.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

This isn't an "or" question.

People can't be expected to know what they don't know they should know. It's the job of management or senior staff to keep on top of this. It's also the job of management to foster a culture where people can ask questions without being looked or talked down upon by the people they're asking, and to do everything they can to facilitate a learning organization through the free exchange of information. At the same time, if someone understands the parameters of their job, understands that there are skills they're lacking, understands they need to take steps to bring those skills to the table and then does nothing to actually improve themselves on the job, that's likely to be a problem with that employee's work ethic.

At its core, like everything else, this is a question about complicated systems, and how people with different personalities, fears, insecurities, wants, and needs interact within them.

My answer would be "both".

The senior team members and our manager sat down and defined the core competencies for the different groups in our department. These are set out in the Goals and Objectives for each person and they're expected to be trained/certified in these areas. Our manager will occasionally nudge/prod someone who is not on track. The seniors are expected to develop training materials and KB information and mentor the juniors.

On top of that, we're expected to come to our manager with any additional training requests beyond the core curriculum. As long as we can show relevance, it's typically not an issue getting it. It's also what will push you into "Exceeds Expectations" for the "Professional Development" part of our Annual Reviews.

So yeah, a manager has a responsibility to make sure team members have a base level of training. But an employee has to take some initiative and responsibility if they want to grow and learn beyond that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The question is about an existing employee though, not a new one. A new one should always be brought up to speed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The question is about an existing employee though, not a new one. A new one should always be brought up to speed.

Then if it's over and above what's required for the position, I'd say it's on you to show a little initiative and request training.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Everyone should always be brought up to speed, unless you're operating a maintenance-mode legacy environment where nothing changes and there's nothing new to ever learn. What you've described is a recipe for sending everyone on a team adrift into "not my problem, you want that person over there" silos.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I haven't described anything, other people have simply run with what I've asked and added to it. All I am asking is if it is my responsibility to learn what I don't know, or if it is my boss's to teach me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

All I am asking is if it is my responsibility to learn what I don't know, or if it is my boss's to teach me.
Yes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Whoops, wrong thread.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I haven't described anything, other people have simply run with what I've asked and added to it. All I am asking is if it is my responsibility to learn what I don't know, or if it is my boss's to teach me.

I wonder why people are running with what you've asked, since you haven't given any details.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Is there a wireless screencasting solution that works well for both Windows and Mac platforms?

Even better if it works on a enterprise WPA-2 network (or just gets wired)

Miracast: no win 7 support, no mac support?

Apple TV: requires itunes on Windows?

Chromecast?

My smart TVs don't support Enterprise WPA-2 but otherwise they're not bad.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Your responsibility to seek out and learn new things to advance your career.

His responsibility to fill gaps in your skills against the job he expects you to perform.

All the really stellar IT guys I've worked with are the self-starter, voracious-consumer-of-new-knowledge types, so the question seems suspect to begin with.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Update your LinkedIn everyone. Computer janitors are going extinct.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/15/ibm-mac-support/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Having supported Macs and PCs as long as Macs and PCs have existed this seems like bullshit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, IBM is doing everyone a favor by not hiring them. gently caress IBM.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It depends what you be to be trained on, for example lets say you're the new Midrange Admin.

A quick search pulls up Avnet as a IBM Education Partner, IBM i Administration for $4k in classes throughout various major metros over a week.

This is real IT Training, what one ought to expect out of an employer. Things like CBT Nuggets are great and all but it doesn't beat a trainer who you can ask questions too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The answer is still both.
If your boss wants to investigate a new solution, it's his responsibility to get you involved with learning and training so he has the resources necessary to implement.
If you want to propose a new solution, it's on you to learn it and request budget expenses for training.
If you want to learn it just to learn it and it won't impact your environment, it's on you for the whole thing start to finish.

Your boss isn't going to approve training for poo poo he doesn't know about or hasn't thought of yet, so either side sitting and waiting for requests from the other instead of taking initiative isn't going to get anybody anywhere. It can't be one or the other.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

Having supported Macs and PCs as long as Macs and PCs have existed this seems like bullshit.

Getting rid of legacy hardware and software reduces support costs? Who could have known. This is more an endorsement of modern management tools (Casper in this case) and the webification of enterprise software than a Mac good Windows bad comparison.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Pluralsight looks great for what he really wants which is a lot of VMWare stuff and still provides stuff for me for some certs I want over the next year. Safari books looks interesting, and if he doesn't go for both I'll probably look into Safari for myself.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just want to say APC has the best music on hold I've ever heard.

Dark Helmut what is your email? Or can you email me at pledgeapehouse at Hotmail? I am relocating and could use a recruiter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is this a Zen koan or something?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Last week I went on a good set of interviews with a company located in my area. Yesterday I got an email from the recruiter that they thought my interviews were "very positive engagements" with them and that they're awaiting on the hiring manager to make the final move. That's the good.

The bad is that I just got let go today from the small MSP that I currently work at. Boss man said there simply wasn't enough work to justify it - which tbh he's right on. A good 50% of my time there was sitting around nothing. Still kinda blindsided me though.

I'm currently at the gym :black101:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
poo poo deal. Hopefully those interviews turn into something for you sooner rather than later.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The bad is that I just got let go today from the small MSP that I currently work at. Boss man said there simply wasn't enough work to justify it - which tbh he's right on. A good 50% of my time there was sitting around nothing. Still kinda blindsided me though.

An msp that isn't constantly growing and requiring more work is in serious trouble anyway.

I have more than 50% free time so I'm worried about this happening to me, but I'm filling the time getting certs and proposing new poo poo nobody here knows how to handle so I can gain some job security. My biggest relief is I keep getting pulled in to meetings I have nothing to do with because my boss wants me more involved across the whole tech department.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Judge Schnoopy posted:

An msp that isn't constantly growing and requiring more work is in serious trouble anyway.

I have more than 50% free time so I'm worried about this happening to me, but I'm filling the time getting certs and proposing new poo poo nobody here knows how to handle so I can gain some job security. My biggest relief is I keep getting pulled in to meetings I have nothing to do with because my boss wants me more involved across the whole tech department.

Yes, and the MSP I worked at was definitely having trouble growing. Guess the signs were there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

cremnob posted:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

If my salary depended on not understanding things I'd be retired by now!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

If my salary depended on not understanding things I'd be retired by now!

Printers alone could fund my retirement.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you mean specifics about your infrastructure, or technology in general?

In either case I've never had any sort of instruction and have been left to drown/flounder/swim on my own, and I've managed alright.

*first day on the job*
:rant: HEY THE WHOOZIEWHATSITS IS DOWN AGAIN! FIX IT NOW BEFORE THE PLACE GOES UP IN FLAMES!
:v: What's a whooziewhatsits?
:smugjones: Boss: I suppose you'll find out, won't you?
:v: *4 hours later* so everything here is completely broken and implemented like poo poo. I have no idea how you've managed to survive up to this point.
:smugjones: I'm sure you'll have it all fixed by the time I come in tomorrow.

/story of my life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At least at my new fancy west Michigan job (suck it east Michigan :smug:) I am in charge of wrecking all of our old software as soon as possible.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

At least at my new fancy west Michigan job (suck it east Michigan :smug:) I am in charge of wrecking all of our old software as soon as possible.

come to the 313 and say it to my face bitch!!!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KS posted:

Is there a wireless screencasting solution that works well for both Windows and Mac platforms?

Even better if it works on a enterprise WPA-2 network (or just gets wired)

Miracast: no win 7 support, no mac support?

Chromecast?

My smart TVs don't support Enterprise WPA-2 but otherwise they're not bad.

Barco ClickShare

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

unclenutzzy posted:

come to the 313 and say it to my face bitch!!!!!

Oh I'm sorry, I can't hear you over our nice roads. :smug:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

KS posted:

We use this and airparrot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

Just want to say APC has the best music on hold I've ever heard.

One time I called TigerDirect and the hold music was a live orchestra cover of Chrono Trigger, I was like what goon is working in their IT department?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Barco ClickShare

Lub my Clickshares. :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you seen https://www.barco.com/en/Products/ClickShare-application-software/Central-management-for-all-ClickShares-in-the-organization.aspx

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KennyTheFish posted:

We use this and airparrot.

Seconding this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zero VGS posted:

One time I called TigerDirect and the hold music was a live orchestra cover of Chrono Trigger, I was like what goon is working in their IT department?

I heard the theme to Metal Gear Solid 2 while on hold with Intuit once.

gently caress Intuit btw