Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

I've been wanting to play a game with a voluntary PR where all my posts are quotes from derp but I just haven't found the right game yet :(

fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I'm pretty sure someone ran a game with forced PRs a while ago I'll try and find it in votefinder

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It was One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and while fun to have a PR it was a disaster in terms of actually playing the game. The game only really took off once people abandoned their PRs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think that tends to happen with quirky mechanics like that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

It was One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and while fun to have a PR it was a disaster in terms of actually playing the game. The game only really took off once people abandoned their PRs.

Yeah, my PR in that game was fairly mild, but even then I had to just abandon it once all the cop shenanigans came up since it was difficult to describe the situation otherwise.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Slack Mafia #1 has ended in a SCUM win! It was a pretty great success. If you played under a secret identity and want to reveal, stop by the SA thread to do so. We are currently discussing the game, the format, giving feedback, and contemplating future Slack-based games.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Welcome BACK to the SLACK! The first iteration was a rousing success, so it's time to go bigger and better!

Slack Mafia #2 is gearing up. Spectators welcome, see thread for details!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I'm running a game and I discovered one of the players doesn't have PMs. Should I get another means of contact and work around it, or just replace them?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SirSamVimes posted:

So I'm running a game and I discovered one of the players doesn't have PMs. Should I get another means of contact and work around it, or just replace them?

You could get their email or something along those lines. It's been done before

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SirSamVimes posted:

I've used e-mail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WIZARDS MAFIA II has ended!

* [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744083 Wizards Mafia II: Return to the Ivory Tower] - Evil (Mafia) victory. Hosted by Captain Foo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

Buy them plat geez

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Worst Costume CYOR now open

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
This is the stupidest game I have ever run.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746469

I need 9 players. Very tight deadlines (though not ADD Mafia short, that'd be silly).

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you,
We've got a game for you now.
You've got a game to play now!

Scooby Doo Mafia - The Haunted Hilltop Hotel is now taking signups! It's should be a fun game with some fun flavor!

It's ready to start whenever it fills up, but if I'm at work then it will have to wait until I get home.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 13, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Slack Mafia #2 ended with a suspenseful nail-biter TOWN victory!

If you played or feel curious, join us in the thread to see how it all played out and drop any feedback. Watch for Slack Mafia #3, coming in one month when I get back from Bali!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Post Restriction Mafia, a game for 14 players, is now accepting sign-ups!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would sign up because I'm out of my games, but I've seen the doc. :(

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Mafia Sandbox thread, I would like to present, for your consideration, an OPEN setup, a slightly tweaked version of the one which ran very satisfyingly in Slack Mafia 2 and will be the basis of the next Slack game as well.

The Nailbiter is designed to maximize suspense from beginning to end. It encourages high engagement, smooths over lurking, rewards risktaking, and the result is highly dependent on player skill over luck. This is a setup with plenty of roles that demands that the players play the setup... the setup doesn't play the players.

To work well, I feel this setup must open. Also it is designed for a strict "No Modkills or Replacements" policy, and for actions to be forfeit if not submitted in time.

• Unstoppable Serial Killer (cannot be blocked or jailed, and can kill a jailed or doc-protected target)
  • Town Cop (sane, TOWN or NOT TOWN results)
  • Town Doctor (can't self-protect, can't protect the same target on consecutive nights)
  • Town Tracker (can't track the same person on consecutive nights)
  • Town Jailer (can't self-jail, can't jail the same person on consecutive nights)
  • Town Bulletproof Miller (1-shot, notified when expended, does not protect from Poison, investigates as NOT TOWN)
  • 6 Town Versatile Backup (when a Town Doc, Cop, Tracker, or Jailer dies in the night, a random living Backup inherits the role. Lynched roles are lost forever. Each Role can only be inherited once.)
  • Scum Bulletproof Godfather (if making the Scum kill, loses BOTH powers for that night)
  • Scum Roleblocker (makes a targeted power fail, can either kill or roleblock, not both)
  • Scum Ninja (can't be tracked)
  • Scum Poisoner (if making the Scum kill, the target will die after a 1-Day delay. Bypasses Doc Protection on targeting night, but can be stopped by Doc protection on the death night. A poisoned victim can also die in Jail.)

No role can self-target or target the same person on consecutive nights, unless an attempt fails. Scum have a single nightkill. All kills and skills may be withheld.
Results are given very simply as "your action succeeded" or "your action failed" for most actions, "<player> appeared to visit <player>", "<player> appears to be TOWN". This is vital to preserve the proper deductive ambiguity.

The key innovation of this setup is the Versatile Backup, of which there are 6, and serve as replacement for Vanilla Town. This role encourages participation for players who find VT boring, and introduces lots of interesting strategic consequences for claiming and targeting.
The interaction between the "no re-target unless action fails" rule and deciding what and when to claim adds excitement and intrigue.
The poison option for Scum, interacts interestingly with the jailer, doctor, and bulletproof, providing a way of outfoxing protections after claims (with a drawback). The SK overcoming protections creates a strong disincentive for reckless claims.
When I run my games, I expect the Scum to reach a unanimous plan, but in order to make nights go faster I accept a submitted action plan for the Scumteam immediately from the highest-ranking Scum alive. The seniority of Scum in this game is Godfather>Ninja>Poisoner>Roleblocker. Submitting authority can be delegated.
Mass claiming is a pressing threat to the Non-Town because of the Versatile Backup mechanics, and playing Scum in this setup rewards a proactive and risk-taking approach. Confrontational fakeclaiming or fake counterclaiming will always be expected. Lurking Scum will tend to get painted into a corner and over-run just when the Town seems to be on the ropes, which is exactly what happened in Slack Mafia 2.

I welcome any feedback and analysis of this setup to improve it, and I also highly encourage other mods to give it a run. I think it is very balanced (intricately) just the way it is.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like the cop you can't nk could give trouble there but u guess I'll have to look at that more.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I feel like the cop you can't nk could give trouble there but u guess I'll have to look at that more.
If someone claims Cop, the SK (if alive) can unstoppably kill them at night (the SK ignores RB, Jail, and Doc).
If the SK is gone, the Scum can address it two ways: with a normal kill, or by poisoning them (and likely roleblocking them to prevent investigation). The Doc can protect the Cop on the first night which would stop a regular scum kill, but would ensure the Cop's death if they Scum use poison, because the Doc can only save a poison victim on the night after poisoning, but cannot re-target unless an action fails. Or the Doc could guess that the Scum would poison, and so protect someone else so the Cop can be saved on the next night. Now the Town Jailer could Jail the Cop, which would save the Cop but ensure no investigation. If the Cop was jailed, any action failures caused by that would allow re-targeting the next night. There's a good but not stupid amount of WIFOM that varies depending on what roles are alive, and all that should go into when and how a Cop decides to claim.

In Slack Mafia 2 the SK kill would be stopped by Doc protection and if the target was jailed, but I decided the SK needed a buff to have a chance, and there is so much protection that having at least one kill per night go through is desirable, so now the SK is totally Unstoppable instead of a limited Juggernaut.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I meant because of the backups, not the doc.

The answer is that the scum team roleblocks the cop every night but it still feels wonky.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I meant because of the backups, not the doc.

The answer is that the scum team roleblocks the cop every night but it still feels wonky.
No, any role can only be inherited a single time, so there's a maximum of 2 cops (one a time) to burn through, and the first might get nightkilled without sharing any results first. Also, since no role can target the same person on consecutive nights, "roleblocking the cop every night" is right out.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Scooby Doo Mafia - The Haunted Hilltop Hotel is now taking signups! It's should be a fun game with some fun flavor!

It's ready to start whenever it fills up, but if I'm at work then it will have to wait until I get home.

I still need 3 people in order for this game to fill up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An Idea for an experimental game:

Everyone is a Survivor: The way it works is that you take, say 9 players, 7 town and 2 scum. Everyone's vanilla and there is no night/nk. If the town mis-executes alignments are re-rolled. The winners are the last two players who can't vote one another out. The game can also end in a town victory if town successfully executes the two scum in a row, since if the first execution is successful then the alignments won't be re-rolled.

While it may seem that every day is D1 in fact the player will start to pick up differences in the D1 behavior of each player. At least I'd like to think so. I think it could be fun to see people trying harder to convince others not to vote them, with less effort being made to get the right vote.

Some fears: it may just end up being a glorified popularity contest with players just abritrarily choosing who to vote out as long as it isn't themselves. Also I'm not so sure what to do in the case of a successful execution followed by a mis-execution. Either I re-align with a 2nd scum again or the game just ends if they manage to catch the 2nd scum position on the future re-roll.s Also in the case of 2 scum and 2 town I can either just say scum won, but I'd rather then make it 3 v 1 until the game is whittled down.

I'd probably go with the latter in both situations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
That sounds fun and like something I would try. In the case of a mis-execution after a successful one, I would re-roll and have only one scum.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That does make more sense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think 2v2 should be a scum victory. You have a town victory condition, but not a scum one. It's basically just a formality, anyways, at that point. Two scum left alive, they control the dunk. First town to vote another townie loses the game, basically.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think 2v2 should be a scum victory. You have a town victory condition, but not a scum one. It's basically just a formality, anyways, at that point. Two scum left alive, they control the dunk. First town to vote another townie loses the game, basically.

The thing there is that it's just chance whomever gets scum in the 2v2 situation, even if that's the case throughout the whole game. At the worst I could grant the scum-team victory and then continue running it with those 4 last players. In the same vein that can be done for every 'town' victory that occurs on the way to get there. Heck if you want to keep track every successful execution can grant a point for town and every mis-execution can grant half a point (since there'll be so many more) to scum. Total points wins at the end.

But even then no one is wholly scum or town and the real goal is to be the last two people surviving.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, when you put it that way, that makes sense.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But yeah there's not much more to it than that. If there's genuine interest in trying out such a thing I'd be happy to set it up for sign ups on Friday and get it going by next Monday. I'm still worried it may just degenerate into a popularity contest, but I figure if our general mafia games don't devolve into that then it should be ok.

Also I can't read it since it's been archived, but how exactly did Calvinball work? It gets referenced a lot and I just imagine it involves everyone making up rules (though different ones) up on a whim and running with it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also I can't read it since it's been archived, but how exactly did Calvinball work? It gets referenced a lot and I just imagine it involves everyone making up rules (though different ones) up on a whim and running with it.

You imagine correctly, more or less

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
The one thing I don't get -- and I may just not be following, tbh -- is that if town executes scum one day and then town the next, causing you to re-roll, would that still just be one scum? Because solo scum without an NK is really just a name at that point, with no actual benefits to the person designated as scum and no way for town to guess who drew that particular straw. At that point it's random luck to pick the one person who is wearing the Designated Bad Guy tag.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yes there'd still be just one scum. But you're right the name is just a label. The key would ideally be that people aren't looking for necessarily 'scummy' behavior but rather descrepancies between the ways people post when they were town as opposed to when they roll scum. Also since in the end everyone is in some sense playing against one another it's both a case of being more persuasive than everyone else and convincing them why you shouldn't die. If you can prove yourself 'town' then you can move closer to one of the town victories.

But I get why you think it all seems kinda hollow.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I'm looking for 2 replacements for this game if anyone is interested. You'll be replacing at the start of D2 after a pretty easy D1, so there isn't that much reading to do. All the replacements are for lurkers.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's basically what you're imagining with people creating rules and zones and throwing balls and voting.

It eventually lead to whaling voyages, diplomatic ties, detective novels, shop deals, bone zones, Cthulu worship and a final Phoenix Wright-style trial with a twist at the end I can't spoil.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eight Dollars posted:

It's basically what you're imagining with people creating rules and zones and throwing balls and voting.

It eventually lead to whaling voyages, diplomatic ties, detective novels, shop deals, bone zones, Cthulu worship and a final Phoenix Wright-style trial with a twist at the end I can't spoil.

Ok NOW you have to post a link because :drat:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Podima, you should totally be a replacement for my game. Also you should offer to be a replacement for the soldiers game. Unless you're already one of those evil Trojans.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eight Dollars posted:

Why haven't we run a second game? It sounds like fun.

Because I had an idea based on the novel W by Georges Perec, however it's actually a very somber novel and the reason for the absurdity is all the more depressing, so I figure Calvinball would be a better flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

Podima posted:

Ok NOW you have to post a link because :drat:

It's... something I'll say!

With Archives
Without Archives