Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You sit on the toilet to poop. After you are done, do you wipe your butt before or after you stand up?

Trick question! The correct answer is both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Amoeba102 posted:

I write two unconnected sentences.

How is this a riddle?

It is a little like a writing desk

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Opopanax posted:

It is a little like a writing desk

A Pretty Poe excuse for a statement?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CCKeane posted:

This is incorrect.

It isn't a blind flip, because if the fair coin is tails side up you wouldn't grab it if you are trying to get a heads. So it is actually 95%.
If the coin is tails side up, you grab a doubleheaded one and get heads 100% if the time.
If the fair coin is heads side up, it is 90% of the time heads as before.
So together, 95%.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

A Pretty Poe excuse for a statement?

I'm going to split you in Twain.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Another riddle what color's this dress?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Grandicap posted:

It isn't a blind flip, because if the fair coin is tails side up you wouldn't grab it if you are trying to get a heads. So it is actually 95%.
If the coin is tails side up, you grab a doubleheaded one and get heads 100% if the time.
If the fair coin is heads side up, it is 90% of the time heads as before.
So together, 95%.

Why would I flip a coin on your table Grandicap, that's just silly.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Lumpen posted:

I've seen this before, it's both an old woman and a young lady.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah Grandi that is true. That's why I stipulated blind flip.

But for a non-blind flip, it depends on what the flipper wants to do. And some times they just want to be fuckers and would take the fair coin on purpose if it was tails side up. There is no incentive to get a Heads, so why would they take a double headed coin?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

Now it's gold! :psyduck:

But the second someone says it's blue, that's what I'll see.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah Grandi that is true. That's why I stipulated blind flip.

But for a non-blind flip, it depends on what the flipper wants to do. And some times they just want to be fuckers and would take the fair coin on purpose if it was tails side up. There is no incentive to get a Heads, so why would they take a double headed coin?

And I stipulated that the coin was on a table in front of you, and that I was flipping a coin. Why would I head all the way out to your place just to flip a dumb coin? I would instead reach into my pocket.

You're a very silly man, Amoeba.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Same answer as when it was viral. The dress is .

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's always been white and gold

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The dress is blue and some other color that I can't identify because I'm color blind and now you all know how it feels hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lighting in photographs can sometimes impart an unintended tint to the objects therein. It's not worth yelling about.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Meinberg posted:

The dress is blue and some other color that I can't identify because I'm color blind and now you all know how it feels hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Black.

You can't identify black.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Meinberg posted:

I want to believe it was created by a colour blind person as revenge for years of being asked "What colour is this? What colour is that? How do you see traffic lights?"

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

I want to believe it was created by a colour blind person as revenge for years of being asked "What colour is this? What colour is that? How do you see traffic lights?"

color blind "person" good one Birdstrike.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Black.

You can't identify black.

To be frank, it looks green.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CCKeane posted:

color blind "person" good one Birdstrike.

One of my great-aunts had it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Before, MMM. Standers are weird.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

One of my great-aunts had it.

Sounds like she was really more of an ok aunt.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I need a replacement for CYOAlighment. Sadly yours is already chosen but you can still play! It's only day 2.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745950&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Little Mac posted:

I need a replacement for CYOAlighment. Sadly yours is already chosen but you can still play! It's only day 2.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745950&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sorry again for the drop. Someone should take this opportunity to play in an interesting game with many rich and complex puzzles available for the finding! Or something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It is a lot slower to run with these new equations. However, the results are simultaneously interesting and very similar to what the results were without these mechanics.

With ten players, six votes are required for execution.

Meds Cure Schizos, A Vanilla Town Homestuck, has been executed Day Three.

Interesting note - Only two players (one town, one scum) are Engaged today, everyone else is voting with no regard for suspicion (and those two initially voted for the same player.)

Votecount:

Meds Cure Schizos (6): Birdstrike, Puntification, Chaos Lord, Klungar, Bottle Knight, Tommunist
Klungar (4): Meds Cure Schizos, Sir Sam Vimes, T. M. Madman, 100 Years of Attitude
No Vote (0): Tommunist, 100 Years of Attitude, 100 Years of Attitude, Tommunist
Sir Sam Vimes (0): T. M. Madman, T. M. Madman
Tommunist (0): Chaos Lord, Chaos Lord
T. M. Madman (0): Bottle Knight, Klungar, Klungar, Bottle Knight

It is now Night Three.

A player is investigated.
A player is protected.

100 Years of Attitude, A Town video game Doctor, has been killed Night Three.

It is now Day Four.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 16, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Calling it now, SSV and Tommunist scum team. Both of them were avoiding the Lumpen vote, but otherwise, exactly one of them is always on the leader at hammer.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should develop sa mafia simulator and release it for grreenlight on steam

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

imgay posted:

You should develop sa mafia simulator and release it for grreenlight on steam

See earlier discussion about my allergy to code. Also I have no idea if you're being serious or you're taking the piss out of this. I mean, if people think it's poo poo, I'll stop.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Calling it now, SSV and Tommunist scum team. Both of them were avoiding the Lumpen vote, but otherwise, exactly one of them is always on the leader at hammer.

You're looking at an emergent phenomenon, but you're swapping the cause and the result, in a way. I'll point out what's really happening there later.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My engagement dice are rolling really high - this is something of an apathetic game for town.

With eight players, five votes are required for execution.

Tommunist, a Vanilla Town balldog, has been executed Day Four.

Votecount:

Tommunist (5): T. M. Madman, Birdstrike, Puntification, Bottle Knight, Sir Sam Vimes
Puntification (3): Sir Sam Vimes, Chaos Lord, Tommunist, Klungar, Sir Sam Vimes
Sir Sam Vimes (0): Puntification, Puntification
T. M. Madman (0): Klungar, Klungar
Chaos Lord (0): Bottle Knight, Bottle Knight

It is now Night Four.

T. M. Madman, a Vanilla Town football, has been killed Night Four.

It is now Day Five.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didn't read like the last 8 pages of this thread so idk

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

This game further proves that if I'm alive beyond Day 3, lynch me, I'm scum.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
hello thread i have just finished the first of 4 16 hour work days and i don't know how i'm gonna do the next 3 without dying

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 16, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A player in WoWfia has requested a replacement, so I'm now looking for one. We're mid day 2, so not too much reading.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

imgay posted:

i didn't read like the last 8 pages of this thread so idk

hey imgay how you doing?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
p swamped with school

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

A player in WoWfia has requested a replacement, so I'm now looking for one. We're mid day 2, so not too much reading.

I'll sub in if you still need a guy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

With six players, four votes are required for execution.

Sir Sam Vimes, A Scum webcomic, has been executed Day Five.

Votecount:

Sir Sam Vimes (4): Chaos Lord, Klungar, Birdstrike, Puntification
Birdstrike (2): Sir Sam Vimes, Puntification, Bottle Knight, Puntification
Puntification (0): Birdstrike, Birdstrike
Chaos Lord (0): Bottle Knight, Bottle Knight

It is now Night Five.

Chaos Lord, A Town cop facepalm, has been killed Night Five.

It is now Day Six.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now here's a theory question - I know most of the time that games run to smaller numbers but have an even-numbered total, that's when people begin to suggest no-votes. I'm not great at the nuts and bolts of it. I've actually forgotten to poll for no-votes over the last few days, 'cos it's late and I don't have a complete flowchart of this written out, just fairly-poorly-organized procedures.

Speak to me of the town-friendliness of the no-vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is it just me or has game quality taken a massive nosedive since I went on my hiatus? I'm not seeing any of the good analytical players in games any more and I think it's making games way less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Now here's a theory question - I know most of the time that games run to smaller numbers but have an even-numbered total, that's when people begin to suggest no-votes. I'm not great at the nuts and bolts of it. I've actually forgotten to poll for no-votes over the last few days, 'cos it's late and I don't have a complete flowchart of this written out, just fairly-poorly-organized procedures.

Speak to me of the town-friendliness of the no-vote.

Even numbers favor scum in theory because you need more people to agree on the person you're lynching which means it's harder to achieve consensus. There are also more suspicious people available for suspicion.; for example instead of just five people that could be scum there's now six, so the odds of you hitting scum are lower.

In practice it may not matter so much. Say you have 6 people alive and 2 scum, you're pretty confident that 2 of the 6 living players are town, to the point where it would take a miracle or some crazy scum gambit for the town to lynch those guys. Letting the day expire just means you're going to lose one of those two people.

Really it depends on the setup and the situation. If you have 6 people alive and none of them are obviously trustworthy, and you know there's only 1 kill at most that will happen in the night, then no lynching is the way to go. Town power roles may also tip the balance in favor of an extra night. Say you have a doctor still alive and you no lynch and the doctor stops a kill, bam you just confirmed a townie. (Of course that might not be the case in a game where the scum can withhold their kill, which is pretty common.)

I'm usually in favor of no lynching down to an odd player count, but again that's if I'm confident there's not going to be a second kill. If you have six people alive and only one of them is a confirmed townie, then letting the Mafia kill that guy isn't so great. For better or worse, no lynching to odd numbers extends the game out by a night. That sometimes favors town but not always.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 16, 2015