Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Rarity posted:

Is it just me or has game quality taken a massive nosedive since I went on my hiatus? I'm not seeing any of the good analytical players in games any more and I think it's making games way less fun.

This has been said every time someone takes an absence and comes back to a new crop of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I personally feel like No Voting in MyLo becomes more and more town-favoring the more town PRs are left, and the more uncertain you are about who is town. I'd much rather no-dunk with four players than play the LyLo game with one more townie thrown into the mix.

Plus, the Survivor gambit doesn't work with 4. :ssh:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

From a scum perspective, I will argue as hard as possible for a no-lynch to end up in an odd numbered endgame. It's easier to fool one bastard than two.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is really helpful, thanks.

With four players, three votes are required for execution.

Klungar, a Vanilla Town video game, has been executed Day Six.

Votecount:

Klungar (3): Puntification, Birdstrike, Bottle Knight
Bottle Knight (1): Klungar
Puntification (0): Bottle Knight, Bottle Knight

It is now Night Six.

Puntification, A Vanilla Town tooth has been killed Night Six.

Birdstrike, A Vanilla Town politics

has been endgamed by

Bottle Knight, A Scum video game.

Scum wins.
Thank you for (not) playing.

MODDOC

What makes this interesting is that the results from purely random choices are basically indistinguishable from those made based on statistics. What will SHOULD make the statistics work is the next phase of the concept, making statistics (suspicion explicitly, engagement possibly) actively dynamic over the course of the game. Suspicion would rise for players that continually vote and/or hammer townies, with an additional base suspicion penalty for any scum player. That's obviously balanced against scum, but I feel it more accurately models the fact that scum have to cover their asses more as they get deeper into a game. The purely random model in general appears to favor scum because it doesn't allow for the simulated town to pick up on what people in this thread can do mental arithmetic on.

To address PMush's earlier comment: If you look at the moddoc, obviously SSV was scum and Tommunist was town, but why they were doing what they were doing was both similar, but also fairly different. Vimes had a flexibility rating of 96, third highest in the game. When it comes time for people to reconsider their votes, if they're not on a vote leader, a player with a high flexibility is going to be one of the first to make a move to a leader, thus helping swing that vote. (There is still no model in the game to prevent scum from voting other scum. So far it has fairly accurately modeled bussing, and the simulated scums have not in general completely blown their chances by hanging each other.)

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, Tommunist had the lowest flexibility in the game, 6---even lower than Lumpen's 9. This simulated Tomm didn't just attack, they had lockjaw. However, if it means that Tomm has to move from one target to the next, there's an almost-guaranteed chance that it's the hammer. It just turns out that in this game, the two voting patterns ended up orbiting around each other in a manner that looks like a pair of scums trying to look separate from each other.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

What makes this interesting is that the results from purely random choices are basically indistinguishable from those made based on statistics.
So, working as intended? :rimshot:

This is really loving neat though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Post Restriction Mafia, a game for 14 players, is now still accepting sign-ups!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know it's 5:30 AM but someone should talk at me about poo poo. I am running on one hour of sleep and some coffee and watching some PBS thing about how maybe the Trojan Horse was actually a battering ram or siege tower or something.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Do we know that the Trojan Horse wasn't constructed by aliens?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Do we know that the Trojan Horse wasn't constructed by aliens?
Honestly, I believe "hyped up story about a covered battering ram" a lot more than I just believe "they let in a giant wooden horse that came from nowhere while at war because something something Poseidon".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Honestly, I believe "hyped up story about a covered battering ram" a lot more than I just believe "they let in a giant wooden horse that came from nowhere while at war because something something Poseidon".

I hope Hera turns your tongue into a snake and Zeus smites you with thunderbolts for uttering such heresies.

We all know it was an actual wooden horse. Homer said so, and he's blessed by the Muses. PBS is blessed with support from viewers like you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also who read about something that appears to be safe and then once you let it into your most vulnerable place at night, breaks open to let out hundreds little of white dudes, and then said "that would be a great name for my condom company?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hahaha. This poor historical researcher is clearly using Google Sketchup as his 3d simulator "research program", and most of the shots of his "research" have just been him panning a camera around untextured 3D models of artist's mannequins and a Trojan horse.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, working as intended? :rimshot:

This is really loving neat though.

Nah, I was actually kind of hoping that at least even a static suspicion factor would play a more obviously apparent role.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's PBS. You're sorry lucky they're not showing Lake Dredge Appraisal.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the condom company is named such because the walls of Troy were impregnable after a ten year siege (Horse fiasco notwithstanding).

It's probably a horse and not a ram because of ancient Mediterranean cultural values on gifts (you can't just say no to a gift, plus not as much history had happened yet so who would think to check inside it?? that'd be foolish).

Also the idea that Greeks were what we'd call today White is probably almost certainly a Renaissance-era construction.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Nah, I was actually kind of hoping that at least even a static suspicion factor would play a more obviously apparent role.
It was a joke that we're all bad at Mafia and mostly indistinguishable from an RNG. :thejoke:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anyone play 5e dnd?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

anyone play 5e dnd?
I played one of the really early play tests and wasn't impressed, but the same is true of 4e and I love the poo poo out of 4e. :shrug:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

Also the idea that Greeks were what we'd call today White is probably almost certainly a Renaissance-era construction.

To be fair, Italians and Irish weren't considered White until the 20th century.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

anyone play 5e dnd?

My usual online group just finished up a test-drive of the system.

It feels like D&D. Now, this is something I'd get shot for in grogs.txt, but to me, it feels like 5e is a little easier to divorce from map-based combat than 4e, since my group is generally willing to play things narratively and 5e doesn't seem to rely on map control and target-movement effects as much as 4 did.

(this is where you go "stop fake-playing d&d and go back to your STORYGAMES" or whatever)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't care what you think of the system, I have to make a 3rd level character and it's just :effort:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

the condom company is named such because the walls of Troy were impregnable after a ten year siege (Horse fiasco notwithstanding).

It's probably a horse and not a ram because of ancient Mediterranean cultural values on gifts (you can't just say no to a gift, plus not as much history had happened yet so who would think to check inside it?? that'd be foolish).

You do realize that your counterargument broadly boils down to "suspicion hadn't been invented yet", right?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I heard the horse didn't have a whole army, just a large enough force to get the gates open from the inside.

No idea where I heard that though.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Still need a replacement for cyoalignment mafia. Still on day 2.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

Still need a replacement for cyoalignment mafia. Still on day 2.
make me a third level dnd character and I will replace in

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

bowmore posted:

anyone play 5e dnd?

Yep.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i own all the 5e books and they're sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
BATTLE OF PIZZA, KEANE

Cubs vs. Mets

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Man I am way better at fake mafia than real mafia.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Dungeon World is superior to any edition of D&D.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Scooby Dooby Do, where are you?
We've got a game for you now.
Scooby Dooby Do, where are you,
You've got a game to play now!

Scooby Doo Mafia - The Haunted Hilltop Hotel is now taking signups! It's should be a fun game with some fun flavor!

It's ready to start whenever it fills up, but if I'm at work then it will have to wait until I get home.

Reminder: My game needs 6 more people to sign up and it can start whenever I get home from work today if it fills up. There will be no weekend deadlines!

And best of all, you won't have to argue against me during the game!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lumpen posted:

Dungeon World is superior to any edition of D&D.
When you make a statement about Dungeon World's quality in a thread, roll +CHA. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a 6 or less, the GM chooses one.

- A person of note vocally agrees with your statement.
- No one thinks less of you or argues with you.
- The thread does not derail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poison Mushroom posted:

When you make a statement about Dungeon World's quality in a thread, roll +CHA. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a 6 or less, the GM chooses one.

i laughed

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Poison Mushroom posted:

Rolled a 5. Welp. Marked XP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

allen wren your stuff is cool as hell

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia thread it's Friday and tonight will be the first night all week where I literally can do nothing whatsoever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Podima posted:

Mafia thread it's Friday and tonight will be the first night all week where I literally can do nothing whatsoever
Sleep! It is rad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

allen wren your stuff is cool as hell

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Allen, one question: Why does Klugar get hung on D6 when the Cop survives to D5? At that point, any cop certainly would have claimed and given his investigation results that Klugar, Punt and Birdstrike have all been investigated as town. It seems like D6 should have been a slam dunk against BK the only uninvestigated player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

TMMadman posted:

Allen, one question: Why does Klugar get hung on D6 when the Cop survives to D5? At that point, any cop certainly would have claimed and given his investigation results that Klugar, Punt and Birdstrike have all been investigated as town. It seems like D6 should have been a slam dunk against BK the only uninvestigated player.
Probably got lynched for lurking after never coming back to the thread for days, and so never claimed role or results.