Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

right now I'm trying to find the impetus to add camo-coloured sleeves to the seva suit first person model to use with the skat-9 military suit. But i can't use the existing camo sleeves, cause they have some big crappy looking stitches on them that I'm guessing wouldn't be on the elite level military suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
What about a Punisher gun, that shoots knives?

Actually, Punisher armour. Don't tell me someone wouldn't rock that in the Zone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

rejutka posted:

What about a Punisher gun, that shoots knives?

Actually, Punisher armour. Don't tell me someone wouldn't rock that in the Zone.

There's a model out there for a bandit exoskeleton/heavy armor suit with a giant winged skull painted on the chest. So they're already ahead of you.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
A giant winged skull is not the same. It's just not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You know, I think I may have seen a punisher texture on some weird obscure Russian filesite years ago. Not sure if I actually did or if I'm just remembering something similar but this has brought it to mind.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I was in a loading screen with the vodka tip and realized I still have yet to see drugs that do cool useful things like slowing the perception of time, revealing enemies on the minimap...

MGSV: The Phantom Pain has the best drugs out of any game I've played. I know it's been talked about way before the release of that game but it should be taken into account if someone's going to add in actually useful drugs.

I'm certain the Phantom Cigar is Khat.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Radium has something that fucks with time. I really need to get around to making a new news post for it, but I have a hard time thinking of compelling things to write :/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

There's a ton of interesting stuff with the monolith.

Like, as of CoP the c-consciousness is gone, but somehow a handful of monolith guys can still pick up orders from the monolith (like the monolith preacher). So that could be interesting, whether the player is a monolith guy who can still hear the monolith or not.

Plus the monolith guys who were freed (strider and his gang) all spoke really weirdly and formally. I'd quite like to mod the way the monolith npcs talk in CoC, but I dunno how much work it would be. If it's just a matter of editing a text file I could do that pretty easily, but I don't know if certain lines for the player (like 'would you like to come and explore with me') are shared across all npcs, so editing it for the monolith would edit it for everyone.

Then there's all that stuff like where they get their guns, how they make the gauss ammo out of bits of artifacts, whether or not mutants are hostile to them or if they're part of the zone's 'ecosystem'.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
If possible, you could maybe mod a +10 to all anomalies across the board for Monolith characters, representing being in tune with the Zone. Or maybe an artifact sense so they know what artifacts are in range.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing I always wondered after the C-Consciousness was destroyed is how much of the Monolith is actually aware of what is going on. You get people like Strider and his group who suddenly awake and find themselves in a strange situation, so you've got to imagine there's more of those kinds out there, who may not be as lucky as Strider. They might still be in the heart of madness and suddenly realize that they're aware they're surrounded by a bunch of maniacs, having no idea if they're the same as them, and making an assumption and trying to find out could result in you being killed.

I'm guessing the Preachers are the most devout and believe they can still hear the Monolith speaking to them, but maybe they don't either? Given the reputation the Monolith has it's probably not out of the question that they're all under a mass delusion that they have to continue as they are because "thoughtcrime is death"

It could be an almost Orwellian situation.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

One thing I always wondered after the C-Consciousness was destroyed is how much of the Monolith is actually aware of what is going on. You get people like Strider and his group who suddenly awake and find themselves in a strange situation, so you've got to imagine there's more of those kinds out there, who may not be as lucky as Strider. They might still be in the heart of madness and suddenly realize that they're aware they're surrounded by a bunch of maniacs, having no idea if they're the same as them, and making an assumption and trying to find out could result in you being killed.

I'm guessing the Preachers are the most devout and believe they can still hear the Monolith speaking to them, but maybe they don't either? Given the reputation the Monolith has it's probably not out of the question that they're all under a mass delusion that they have to continue as they are because "thoughtcrime is death"

It could be an almost Orwellian situation.

Now I'm imagining a Preacher - sort of like the character from Children of Dune, walking the Zone, with his zealot corps, preaching/converting/killing people who will not submit to the will of the Great Monolith. The Preacher guy has a hunk of the Wish Granter he claims was bestowed unto him and they lug around the thing itself on a flatbed dragged by chimeras. It'd certainly spice up certain gigantic areas with not a lot in them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

That is interesting, because the monolith faction existed as zone worshippers before they fell under mind control, so there could be a divide now between true believers and those who were recruited/mind controlled later.

Maybe a cool mission type could be hunting down rogue monolith groups like strider's.

But also the monolith itself could live on. It was a creation of c-conc, who are dead, but so was the zone itself, and that lived on canonically after their death.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Monolith isn't actually a physical thing, though. It's literally just a hologram. So at least one person knows that it is, since they would have had to re-enabled it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Pfft, lookit this scrub*. We're talking about the true Monolith. :smug:

*Smite the unbeliever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I've managed to get pretty much the whole zone up and running with faction controllable terrains, and while it's an interesting and good experience, I really wish that squads prioritized terrain closer to them more highly. Right now it seems like the further away an objective is the more they want to get to it, so I'm winding up with crazy cross-map migrations that result in lots of squads wandering into Monolith territory and getting murdered horribly.

That and simulation.ltx being finicky are probably the two biggest issues preventing a really awesome, fully dynamic zone being possible.

Someone's doing a more faction war-like mod to CoC, see the comments rooted at this post. I pointed them at your bugtracker tickets, but you may want to pool knowledge and efforts though you're doing different things.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Why not make mutants not attracted to monolith members.

Or make psy-block do that. Seriously how is this not a drug already in the game. No less ability. Unless one of the wishes is that all mutants become your pets. So you'd be like the zone's aquaman. Except you don't suck because that's way cooler than whales.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

v1ld posted:

Someone's doing a more faction war-like mod to CoC, see the comments rooted at this post. I pointed them at your bugtracker tickets, but you may want to pool knowledge and efforts though you're doing different things.

Yeah, he's doing stuff on a level far and beyond what I have any clue about. I think he's actually just skipping what Alundaio wrote and implementing the CS TFW mod logic in CoC, which is awesome.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i'm very grateful that CoC got done and seems to be attracting more mods but i can't help but want for stalker 2. i was reading a little about some of the enemies in it and there's stuff like an enemy that disguises itself as a tree trunk until you get close, then there was also this:

according to the stalker wikia it would've been called a Silvan. apparently it was supposed to be a quest monster that abducted stalkers who slept in a forest? it's really creepy. i hope CoC can inspire new stuff like that.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 15, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It probably would have still been janky as gently caress right to the core. If it makes you feel any better.

I think the creative team behind stalker and all the ideas behind the content should have been given a staff, a decent budget and some handlers for the remainder of the original team. I'd like an open world Metro game.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 15, 2015

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd like an open world Metro game.

Sadly I'm just not that impressed with the Metro series. Half way through Last Light Redux. There's far too much ambient light, and even on hardcore+ranger mode too much ammo. Enemies aren't really that hard (lol "stealth") and there's no true sense of dread. Yes, no free roaming, but also no true hostile world. Just doesn't scratch that STALKER itch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

IDK what the deal is with how the cats are implemented in CoC, but I remember back when SoC was still new the general word on the cats was that their gimmick was supposed to be imitating human voices. It'd be really neat if they were changed so they chill out in the tall grassy areas and make the sounds of wounded stalkers to try and draw the player in. I guess the giveaway would be the little PDA counter thing on the minimap, but maybe they could spoof that too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FirstPersonShitter posted:

IDK what the deal is with how the cats are implemented in CoC, but I remember back when SoC was still new the general word on the cats was that their gimmick was supposed to be imitating human voices. It'd be really neat if they were changed so they chill out in the tall grassy areas and make the sounds of wounded stalkers to try and draw the player in. I guess the giveaway would be the little PDA counter thing on the minimap, but maybe they could spoof that too.

Interestingly enough in the Russian stalker books it's Fleshes that have that ability.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm certain the Phantom Cigar is Khat.

why? weed is universally known to gently caress with your perception of time, while khat is a pretty standard stimulant, that isnt much more intense than a strong coffee or tea

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
это моя винтовка . это мой пистолет .

это для боевых действий. это для удовольствия

He's been at it for a few minutes now. Apparently Russian men are...virile?

sorry if my google translate is horribly off

I still don't know what he's shooting at with his uh...shooter. There's nothing up there but a tree. One of the duty patrols is gonna get tagged in the head, I know it.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 15, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I want some more guns, how do I make that happen? For CoP.

Also, is the OP up to date or should I be asking goons what their favorite mods are?

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 15, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Klaus88 posted:

I want some more guns, how do I make that happen? For CoP.

Also, is the OP up to date or should I be asking goons what their favorite mods are?

Asking goons, duh. Stupid.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

And what plays well with this gunz mod? :tfrxmas:

In the more general overhaul sense. Aside from Misery.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Can you get Bovril in the Zone?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

rejutka posted:

Can you get Bovril in the Zone?

After a hard day cheeki breeking bandits can pull off their undergarments, steep them in hot water and have a rough approximation.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How hard would it be to graft nimble's gun selling function on to the bandit trader? I'm all about the cheeki breeki life, but OWR3 makes those guns into unique fancy looking guns instead of just regular guns with upgrades, and I don't want to miss out on em cause one faction hates me.

edit: also where can i find the 'alcoholic and a dickhead' song from the bandit base? i found a version of it on youtube but it's not as good and missing the english verse

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 15, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I updated the patch I made. It shouldn't require a new game start, but will require squads to respawn before you see any effects.

https://mega.nz/#!Fhgm1CaJ!GJ9Z-8Ff3VsBP7jFxK3HHeBFlXW7mWjDSMhzZvzW6ek

It should result in stalkers spreading around the map much more than before, and piling up in a few spots/bases less often. There are also considerably more stalkers per squad because it felt like there was barely anyone around with Ddraig's mutant changes in place. In some cases squad sizes are doubled (except for ecologists, which didn't get touched).

e: Actually, I guess it might require a new game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 16, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are X16, X18, and the Sarcophagus supposed to be completely devoid of enemies?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

why? weed is universally known to gently caress with your perception of time, while khat is a pretty standard stimulant, that isnt much more intense than a strong coffee or tea

Everyone would expect it to be weed. Stims alter your perception of time and also it's used fairly often by natives of both regions for combat purposes, mostly, for passing time because of its short half life and availability. You're just going to have to trust me on this one. Marijuana, with extended use can just simply make time pass, but unless they're using god awful poo poo (which just gives you a headache and a little buzz) you aren't ready for combat at all. Khat is a stimulant, need I say more?

I spent way too long playing that game. I also thought the same about the phantom cigar, then I actually looked at the description.

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Sadly I'm just not that impressed with the Metro series. Half way through Last Light Redux. There's far too much ambient light, and even on hardcore+ranger mode too much ammo. Enemies aren't really that hard (lol "stealth") and there's no true sense of dread. Yes, no free roaming, but also no true hostile world. Just doesn't scratch that STALKER itch.

If you haven't played the first game, Metro 2033, I suggest you do.

Here's how it goes. In metro 2033 you're wet behind the ears and are just leaving your station for the first time (A-la fallout). If you are playing the game on ranger hardcore and having an easy time with gunzoblazing I really wanna know how you managed to pull that off.

Metro 2033 is much more like dishonored but with guns instead of magic.

So being a smartass aside, What's the word on the CoC (lol I still can't believe no one called that) mod super pack with tweaks by D?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 16, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Has anyone managed to figure out the bugged "bounty hunter" and "bandit elimination" quests yet? I'm looking at this code and don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Missing Name posted:

Has anyone managed to figure out the bugged "bounty hunter" and "bandit elimination" quests yet? I'm looking at this code and don't know what the gently caress is going on.

I just have a hard save before i accept any of them so even if they bug out I'm only out that quest's worth of time :smith:

NeoSeeker posted:

So being a smartass aside, What's the word on the CoC (lol I still can't believe no one called that) mod super pack with tweaks by D?

You grasp the bloodsucker! It grasps you back, but not where you'd normally expect! Blood rushes to the area! The Bloodsucker smirks at you: "Now we can have some REAL fun, STALKER"

>Faint
>Oh, Blyat...

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 16, 2015

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, I wanted to try CoC after not playing Stalker for years. I fresh installed Stalker, ran it once then ran the installer for CoC and immediately it crashes to desktop after getting at X.Ray 1.6 error.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
One annoying thing is that the CoC installer suggests your Call of Pripyat folder for the installation. When in fact CoC is a standalone game and should be installed somewhere else. Did you perhaps install CoC over Call of Pripyat? Could that have caused things to go wrong?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yup that was exactly it.

Well...Now after playing with the graphic settings it crashes to desktop without an error message. Oh, well.

It was vertical sync.

Nope, still crashing.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 16, 2015

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

Yup that was exactly it.

Well...Now after playing with the graphic settings it crashes to desktop without an error message. Oh, well.

It was vertical sync.

Nope, still crashing.

I was getting pretty regular crashes. I put -noprefetch onto the launch command and turned graphics to DX9 enhanced. Much more stable now, though I still get crashes now and again. I do have various mods installed over vanilla CoC, no idea if any of those are responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
Edit: ignore this

angular guitar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 16, 2015