Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

oh yes

what is Switzerland doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

what is Switzerland doing.

Switzerland is doing Switzerland, bitch.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Vive le citoyens milice!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think they've missed a trick by not taking Austrian Tyrol.

~~~Republic of the Alps~~~

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

oh yes

The confusing universe where Australia borders Austria!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the next EU4 expansion is The Cossacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWWB3OH3uQ

quote:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's strangely specific.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Looks like the next EU4 expansion is The Cossacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWWB3OH3uQ

Aha! Now we can truly remove kebab!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the bits of Australia in the Great Denmark map.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GSD posted:

I like the bits of Australia in the Great Denmark map.

AUSTRALIA DEMANDS - DANZIG OR WAR!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

AUSTRALIA DEMANDS - DANZIG OR WAR, MATE!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

My favorite part of that map is 'Czecho'slovakia.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Heh, guess who's got the job to code the V3 economy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RIP Wiz

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
This happens to me every time I think "I bet that legacy operations portal we've got doesn't really need 2800 lines of code in its main controller."

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ghetto Prince posted:

Sorry for derailing anime chat, but are there any other really excellent grand strategy games? EU4 is just about perfect , but you can only play through the default map so many times before it starts to get annoying, and I'm looking for something new.

Or I'd settle for some kind of new starting map mods for EU4; like how CK2 has After The End and Game of Thrones for when you get bored of rampaging through Europe for the tenth time.
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is pretty great, but it just came out and it's Tecmo-Koei, so it's $60 right now(and add $27 if you want all the DLC scenarios). So you might want to wait for a sale.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

This happens to me every time I think "I bet that legacy operations portal we've got doesn't really need 2800 lines of code in its main controller."

Heh, v2 economy code is more like 4k lines or so not counting scripts, but its difficult soul crushing code.

New HOI diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-29th-development-diary-16th-of-october-2015.887017/

podcat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 16, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
People are really mad about the whole democracies can't declare war on democracies thing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

They seem to be more mad about we are saying that democracies are not rear end holes when we are in fact just saying that Democracies didn't declare war on other Democracies. They were totally rear end holes though.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People are really mad about the whole democracies can't declare war on democracies thing.

Well obviously if you do something like that then how will you model Britian and France's utterly unjustified assault upon the peaceful fascist democracy of Germany?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

They seem to be more mad about we are saying that democracies are not rear end holes when we are in fact just saying that Democracies didn't declare war on other Democracies. They were totally rear end holes though.

Can I use Canada's technical status as a monarchy to invade them as the USA?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Groogy posted:

The UK declared war on Finland :colbert:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

meatbag posted:

The UK declared war on Finland :colbert:

UK declares war on Finland as they were allied with the Soviet Union, and as far as I know that is the only time in modern history that a democracy has declared war on another democracy. And no, One Party Democracies does not count.
Needless to say it does not set a norm.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If there ever was a WWI thing added on to HOI4, be it as a mod or as DLC in the far distant future, would Imperial Germany count as a democracy or autocracy? Now I'm just wondering how far back you'd have to move the start date to get to a democracy-on-democracy war and am failing miserably at recalling history.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think it's a good mechanic, it fits the period and it opens up some clever gambits like liberalizing your country right after you take a bunch of territory to keep the allies off your back.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Groogy posted:

UK declares war on Finland as they were allied with the Soviet Union, and as far as I know that is the only time in modern history that a democracy has declared war on another democracy. And no, One Party Democracies does not count.

I'm going to be a pedant, but I think you mean Finland was at war with the Soviet Union and allied with Nazi Germany as a consequence.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My first real spit take was at:

quote:

But there is a problem here: Great Britain tried to invade Norway during WW2, even tough both were democracies. Germany simply was faster. How can situations like that ever work in the game?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm weirdly excited for the France dev diary next week. I kind of want my first HoI IV game to be a successful defense of France, although I'm horrible at games so it probably won't go very well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well we could always look at the List of Wars Between Democracies to see. They're rare and not huge conflicts, but they do occur.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

If there ever was a WWI thing added on to HOI4, be it as a mod or as DLC in the far distant future, would Imperial Germany count as a democracy or autocracy? Now I'm just wondering how far back you'd have to move the start date to get to a democracy-on-democracy war and am failing miserably at recalling history.

DrSunshine posted:

Well we could always look at the List of Wars Between Democracies to see. They're rare and not huge conflicts, but they do occur.
It's not even a case of democracy-on-democracy wars, it's specifically democracy-on-democracy war declarations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like democracy on democracy conflict should be allowed, but have a lot of difficult/expensive requirements. Basically let people go full ahistorical if they want and have the UK invade the US and take back the colonies of the players really want to, but make it something that's not really reasonable to do in a more normal game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

podcat posted:

Heh, v2 economy code is more like 4k lines or so not counting scripts, but its difficult soul crushing code.

You should publish it so some train fanatic can decipher and rewrite it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

sarmhan posted:

My first real spit take was at:

quote:

But there is a problem here: Great Britain tried to invade Norway during WW2, even tough both were democracies. Germany simply was faster. How can situations like that ever work in the game?

Isn't this actually accurate, though? At the very least it was in the advanced planning stages. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I'm fine with the mechanic, for the most part, and I expect HoI4 to be as moddable as EU4 or CK2 anyways so it's hard to get upset about relatively minor game design decisions like this.

Rincewind posted:

I'm weirdly excited for the France dev diary next week. I kind of want my first HoI IV game to be a successful defense of France, although I'm horrible at games so it probably won't go very well.

Yeah this was always my favorite playthrough in HoI 1 and 2. Such a challenge but so rewarding from a historical/political perspective. Leon Blum, savior of Europe, Holocaust averted, etc etc forever.

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 16, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

The Mexican-American war was a big deal. Maybe you're thinking specifically of European democracies not declaring war on European democracies but that's probably due to the historical scarcity of European democracy :smug:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

It lists modern day Russia as a democracy.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Filipino civilians dead: 250,000-1,000,000[11][12][13]

rip in peace to those whom died

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dibujante posted:

The Mexican-American war was a big deal. Maybe you're thinking specifically of European democracies not declaring war on European democracies but that's probably due to the historical scarcity of European democracy :smug:
The US was not a democracy at the time.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Wow, so someone seriously just posted a long rant in the new dev diary about how the U.S. congress is all a big money-murder conspiracy, complete with a video of some guy in a sweater sitting in front of a bunch of bookshelves so that he looks smarter, and how an anarchic government would totally solve all problems but those conspiring fat cats don't want you to know that because then they'd have to give up twirling their mustaches. I was gonna copy and paste it...

but Had a Dad removed SUPPRESSED THE TRUTH!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

unwantedplatypus posted:

It lists modern day Russia as a democracy.

It also apparently considers the Syrian Civil War as a war between the United States and Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

IDK, I'm fine with it being a rule in the game, but I'd rather it not be hard-coded into lua or deeper in the codebase, since I could see alt-history modders wanting that option. And even if the solution is to change one country to a dictatorship, that could be an annoyance in a few different ways.

But also from a historical perspective, I don't think there are really all that many examples of fascist dictatorships declaring war on each other, or communist states doing it, within the game period?