Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

October 9th sees the release of Coheed and Cambria's eighth album. For the first time, a C&C album will be non-conceptual. That's right, it's just a straight-up progressive/metal/alternative rock album. The first single has already dropped, and can be heard at the bottom of this post. You're Got Spirit, Kid is reminiscent of early singles, and is probably not indicative of the whole album.

As in keeping in line with C&C albums, there's a special deluxe edition that features:
-the CD
-a bonus CD of demos
-a making-of DVD
-a 45 of two bonus demos
-two coffee table books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydkfdq0Xggo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Can't wait for this.

I really really hope Atlas is on the new album with the full band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCLUc1BtqGM

EDIT:

Oh hey it is:

The Color Before The Sun Tracklist
1. “Island”
2. “Eraser”
3. “Colors”
4. “Here To Mars”
5. “Ghost”
6. “Atlas”
7. “Young Love”
8. “You Got Spirit, Kid”
9. “The Audience”
10. “Peace To The Mountain”

From a press release:

Claudio Sanchez is exposing his raw feelings, narrated from his own perspective — the anxiety of fatherhood, the disorienting feeling of losing a home, the reflections had during early-morning walks. His own story is told through big, bright, driving, colorful songs that beam like power-pop, crunch like vintage ‘90s emocore and float with the expansive feel of space-rock.

So I'm guessing this'll sound closer to SSTB or IKSSE:3 rather than the later stuff.

EDIT: VVVV Me too, man! both of those albums are in my all-time favorites list.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Malloreon posted:

So I'm guessing this'll sound closer to SSTB or IKSSE:3 rather than the later stuff.

I hope this is the case

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kinda interesting that Claudio's doing this personal album with Coheed and Cambria, I'd think if he wanted to make music about his personal life he'd do it with the Prize Fighter Inferno and then do the concept-stuff with Coheed.

But I'd rather he do a non-concept album than force the story when the spark isn't really there.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

As in keeping in line with C&C albums, there's a special deluxe edition that features:
-the CD
-a bonus CD of demos
-a making-of DVD
-a 45 of two bonus demos
-two coffee table books

the deluxe edition also comes with a dope rear end keywork key blank so you can open some poo poo up with a keywork, kind of excited about that

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Music video for You've Got Spirit, Kid! has dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eklHJeB6mc

Feels like one of their older videos, I enjoyed it a bit. Stick around to the end for the infamous highschool movie pre-credits blurb

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, now I know what Josh Eppard's butt looks like.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
That's some bomb rear end album art tbh

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I think I'm more excited to hear Atlas as a proper song than an acoustic version than the lead single. And I really loved the acoustic version.

Still hope that part of Claudio's kid sneezing at the right moment while he's beatboxing shows up. That was really cute.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
"Here to Mars" dropped on Spotify this morning and they also threw a lyric video on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/svyLMR7yjhU

I like it a lot. That is a catchy, catchy chorus.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I an so excited for this album, I'm really enjoying Here to Mars. Wasn't expecting this album to catch me as well as it did.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Notinghamington posted:

I an so excited for this album, I'm really enjoying Here to Mars. Wasn't expecting this album to catch me as well as it did.

I didn't like HTM the first time, but a pal (who introduced me to coheed nearly a decade ago) mentioned that it sounded like the best qualities of The Afterman, Black Rainbow, and Second Stage. Now i love it, and I can't unhear that.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I've been kinda mellow on Coheed's more recent stuff, but I'm digging the stuff from the new album so far. Sounds really energetic.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Here to Mars is amazing, but the lower quality version on Spotify just sounds muddy as hell.

It sounds way better to me from the youtube link.

This album will be amazing. Full band Apollo gonna be nuts, y'all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I was going to preorder this CD today from Amazon, as I don't need the deluxe edition. However, Amazon is listing it at $18.47. I imagine this isn't the right price, unless they're doing something fancy with the packaging for the standard CD.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm not quite sure what to expect from this. You've Got Spirit Kid didn't really click with me, felt like too much swearing for the sake of swearing, but I did like Here to Mars. Cautiously optimistic is probably how I'd describe this. I love all of their work so I'm always excited for a new album, but I hope the removal of the concept shackles don't leave the album unfocused.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New track "Eraser" released today: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/coheed-and-cambria-interview-2015-eraser-stream?3

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Files and all but it's out there. Full band "Atlas" is fantastic

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
Pandora is streaming the whole thing here.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Omnikin posted:

Full band "Atlas" is fantastic

holy poo poo

EDIT: yeah this is the best song of 2015.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

I'm seeing these boys on Friday night for free and then Saturday night, again. The Saturday night show is their actual tour show, and then a local dj was like LET'S SCOOP 'EM UP FOR A FREE SHOW! On album release night no less!

I was a little bitter that they announced the free show a week after I picked up tickets for the paid show, but this band changed my life and I haven't see them since 2010 so...

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"They are my favourite."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSm_dp1Wt8

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Been a fan of this band since 2007. Got the new CD at best buy. It's on sale for $9.99 for anyone that wants the disc. Also has 2 bonus tracks. Wasn't a fan of the new songs at first, but they have really grown on me. Look forward to seeing them on tour once they add some more dates.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Love Atlas.

Digging the first track, Island and then its callback in the last track, Peace to the Mountain (which reminds me of Polyphonic Spree, strangely enough).

The Audience is great. Want bass tabs/Rocksmith cdlc for that song.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Radiohead71 posted:

Been a fan of this band since 2007. Got the new CD at best buy. It's on sale for $9.99 for anyone that wants the disc. Also has 2 bonus tracks. Wasn't a fan of the new songs at first, but they have really grown on me. Look forward to seeing them on tour once they add some more dates.

Huh, Amazon said it comes out next week. I guess I'll be canceling that, just so I can get some bonus tracks too.

EDIT: The website doesn't say, what are the bonus tracks?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

IUG posted:

Huh, Amazon said it comes out next week. I guess I'll be canceling that, just so I can get some bonus tracks too.

EDIT: The website doesn't say, what are the bonus tracks?

Release date is 10/16. Bonus tracks are Bridge and Tunnel (Demo) & Eraser (Demo).

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/happy-release-day/

That link says Fangs of the Fox is another bonus track, but I don't see that on the cd case. Target isn't selling the disc so don't go there. Walmart has a censored version (LOL).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Radiohead71 posted:

Release date is 10/16. Bonus tracks are Bridge and Tunnel (Demo) & Eraser (Demo).

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/happy-release-day/

That link says Fangs of the Fox is another bonus track, but I don't see that on the cd case. Target isn't selling the disc so don't go there. Walmart has a censored version (LOL).

Man, I wish more bands would do this. Whenever an album comes out I really want, I have to try going to Wikipedia or something and see if any retailers are doing any exclusives or not.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

This album is god drat dynamite. Other than YGSK, here to Mars, and eraser, I went in clean today. I love it I love it I love it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Just listened to the full album and man, it's really solid. Outside of "Eraser" and "Here to Mars" I think my favorite tracks so far are "Atlas", "Island" and "The Audience." Feels like a well-rounded album. It's definitely my favorite of theirs since No World For Tomorrow.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Just drove 3 hours both ways for Coheed and Cambria / Cursive / Thank You Scientist.

I'm 100% Zzzonked, but I had a great night.

I SERIOUSLY recommend everyone check out Thank You Scientist.

Cursive was without flavor.

Coheed had a really great setlist that touched every album except Year of the Black Rainbow (I don't think Josh Eppard is physically equipped to play a Pennie chart)

It was awesome, The Color Before the Sun is awesome.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I'm so excited! I'm going to go see them in San Diego in a couple weeks! I'm so glad to hear they are gonna play a little bit of everything... minus the Black Rainbow, hopefully they play something, at least Made out of Nothing, thats my favorite song from that album.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I'm really into this album after the last three bored me. I'm glad they finally went whole hog on the poppy emo rock with an edge thing they mastered back on No World For Tomorrow and dropped the proggy stuff that the ongoing concept necessitated. This is exactly the album I've wanted them to release for eight years.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Brand new video for Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiFqlF8Rxw

Every day I love this new album more and more.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It took me a few listens but I'm really into this one. I loved both Aftermans, but this is a nice departure with some really solid stuff on it. Hard to believe I've been listening to them since Silent Earth came out. So far Black Rainbow is their only album I'm 50/50 on.

I really like the video for Island. It's nothing flashy or crazy, but I like the simplicity.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
New 2016 tour dates posted.

Coheed and Cambria posted:

US TOUR DATES WITH GLASSJAW - Special Artist Pre-sale, Tomorrow at 10am - more info at coheedandcambria.com

Feb 22 - House of Blues - Boston, MA
Feb 25 - Royal Oak Music Theatre - Royal Oak, MI
Feb 26 - Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
Feb 27 - Myth Live Event Center - Saint Paul, MN
Feb 29 - The LC Indoor Pavilion - Columbus, OH
Mar 01 - Stage AE - Indoor - Pittsburgh, PA
Mar 02 - Echostage - Washington, DC
Mar 04 - Theater at Madison Square Garden - New York, NY, USA
Mar 05 - The Fillmore - Philadelphia, PA
Mar 07 - The Ritz - Raleigh, NC
Mar 08 - The Fillmore Charlotte - Charlotte, NC
Mar 10 - The Fillmore - Miami Beach, FL
Mar 11 - Hard Rock Live - Orlando, FL
Mar 12 - Jannus Live - Saint Petersburg, FL
Mar 14 - Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
Mar 15 - Marathon Music Works - Nashville, TN
Mar 17 - Revention Music Center - Houston, TX
Mar 19 - South Side Ballroom - Dallas, TX
Mar 21 - The Marquee - Tempe, AZ
Mar 22 - Hollywood Palladium - Los Angeles, CA
Mar 23 - The Masonic - San Francisco, CA
Mar 25 - Brooklyn Bowl - Las Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
Mar 26 - The Complex - Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 27 - Fillmore Auditorium - Denver, CO

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mannn, they're not coming here :( It's a bummer because I'm going to a music festival this weekend where I've seen Coheed twice in previous years of this festival and I wish they were playing this one in support of the new album.

I suppose I could drive to Houston to see them. I'll see what my money situation looks like in March.

Also, The Audience is loving filthy and doooooooooope. As is Atlas. Those and You've Got Spirit, Kid are probably my favorites from this album so far.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Finally got my preordered deluxe edition (ugh) and it is tiiiight. I've been avoiding the album other than You've Got Spirit Kid and Here to Mars but one and a half listens in I think it's growing on me. It sounds like an actual evolution of the band's sound rather than a rehash of older stuff or a complete prog rock breakdown. Still I feel like without the weird backstory there's not a whole lot to counter the downright cheeriness of most of the album.

Neowyrm posted:

Just drove 3 hours both ways for Coheed and Cambria / Cursive / Thank You Scientist.

I'm 100% Zzzonked, but I had a great night.

I SERIOUSLY recommend everyone check out Thank You Scientist.

Cursive was without flavor.

Coheed had a really great setlist that touched every album except Year of the Black Rainbow (I don't think Josh Eppard is physically equipped to play a Pennie chart)

It was awesome, The Color Before the Sun is awesome.

I saw TYS and Coheed at the tail end of the Neverender IKSSE3 tour - Claudio seemed pretty tired by then especially compared to the SSTB tour, but TYS completely stole the show and I loving love their album. Can't wait to see them again.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I've seen this band 4 times and they have been great each time. I don't like how they have 2 opening bands, though. As a 44 year old, I like to get there early (to get a seat), but waiting through 2 opening bands is a little too much.

The more you listen to the new CD the more you will like it (probably).

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Radiohead71 posted:

I've seen this band 4 times and they have been great each time. I don't like how they have 2 opening bands, though. As a 44 year old, I like to get there early (to get a seat), but waiting through 2 opening bands is a little too much.

The more you listen to the new CD the more you will like it (probably).

Going my third time on the 25th and taking my friend who isn't really familiar with them outside of liking You Got Spirit, Kid's video. Last time was 3 years ago when they had Russian Circles (bought one of their cds on the way out), and Between The Buried And Me (almost put me to sleep, awful), Coheed finished up with a loving amazing set. They were great when I saw them first time in '05 too.

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Found the tour setlist on Reddit:

Tour setlist:
Pre-show Acoustic:
Life on Mars - David Bowie
Main set:
Ghost