Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Faster is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Faster is better

Nah, though the other combat changes BB introduced (like facing toward the enemy after a roll) make it hard to go back to older games.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Does that mean Ice might be the new element?

Winter is coming.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

Faster is better

faster makes it less scary, booooooo. faster makes the series lose alot of its charm, it will become ichigo demon slaying anime slasher fest.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hey you guys get this: all the souls games and bloodborne are good

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tenzarin posted:

faster makes it less scary, booooooo.

This is objectively false for Bloodborne and there's nothing more terrifying than getting your brains sucked out by squid horrors

or just fighting the Cleric Beast when you don't expect him and you're like "oh god" and then you're like "why is it screaming!?" and then you're like "WHY AM I SCREAMING!?!?!" and then you die.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't understand people that find these games scary

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

Its spooky, just like devil may cry 1 was supposed of been a scary game. Its quickly becoming devil may cry 2.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Manatee Cannon posted:

not an empty quote because

Tenzarin posted:

faster makes it less scary, booooooo. faster makes the series lose alot of its charm, it will become ichigo demon slaying anime slasher fest.

this is such an exaggeration that I can only hope you are being ironical.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is objectively false for Bloodborne and there's nothing more terrifying than getting your brains sucked out by squid horrors

or just fighting the Cleric Beast when you don't expect him and you're like "oh god" and then you're like "why is it screaming!?" and then you're like "WHY AM I SCREAMING!?!?!" and then you die.

The only things I went "oh gently caress oh gently caress" about and not "god damnit" about were the brains and those super-sped up monk dudes in the dungeons, those dudes creeped me right out.

I'm amazed anyone had problems with the Cleric Beast still; I was half dead and out of vials nearly because of that fucker Big Poppa G wrecking my poo poo and I still killed him in one go.

quote:

This pretty much, I just think the faster paced combat and somewhat more reflexive combat of BB works much poorer than the slow, methodical combat of Souls (especially when combined with using the same camera as DS), though there's a blend they could have that is still good. Come to think of it that's probably why I barely ever try to parry in DS too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There is not one series that could not be drastically improved by adding a turbo mode, jump cancels, and just frames.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

The only things I went "oh gently caress oh gently caress" about and not "god damnit" about were the brains and those super-sped up monk dudes in the dungeons, those dudes creeped me right out.

I'm amazed anyone had problems with the Cleric Beast still; I was half dead and out of vials nearly because of that fucker Big Poppa G wrecking my poo poo and I still killed him in one go.

The nice thing about Bloodborne is that it has a great variety of enemies, and it runs the gamut through a wide variety of different fears, so chances are, there will always be something that tickles your fear sensors. The chalice speedsters are mad disturbing to see. I think I actually found the Vicar a much more disturbing enemy than the Cleric Beast, but all of the Beasts have horrifying screams that are really unsettling for some reason, probably because they still sound so human.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There is not one series that could not be drastically improved by adding a turbo mode, jump cancels, and just frames.

That just makes it devil may cry, and platinum games now makes the best devil may cry's.

You seem to forgot that before demon souls, from software only made gaint robot games with the dumbest stories.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ember restored? Is that why he has some kind of burnt charcoal effect on his clothes?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

That just makes it devil may cry, and platinum games now makes the best devil may cry's.

You seem to forgot that before demon souls, from software only made gaint robot games with the dumbest stories.

And Armored Core was the best series they've done until they got past the PS2 at which point it went down the drain? And the stories were the same as the Souls games just replace the endless cycle of human misery with the endless cycle of corporate greed (which led to human misery)?

Not to mention they made way more than that so I think you're just off the mark on all fronts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shadow Tower was and still is the best series Fromsoft has mad.

(I still need to get around to playing the later AC games, I've only ever tried the first which has the KF control scheme but faster-paced which is :laffo:)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tenzarin posted:

That already happened when they went from King's Field to Demon's Souls. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

That already happened when they went from King's Field to Demon's Souls. :v:

From should make nothing but first-person poking simulators where the protagonist is half snail.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

That's just objectively false. Have you not heard of King's Field? It's Demon's Souls, but first person and also slower and clunkier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

From should make nothing but first-person poking simulators where the protagonist is half snail.

More than anything else, I really want From to take a stab at another King's Field/Shadow Tower, but with the sensibilities from the Souls games (e.g. a faster pace more conducive to actual combat). Basically Elder Souls, I guess.

e: Really what I actually want is another game like Shadow Tower Abyss. Killing weird alien things with swords and guns will never not be rad as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

More than anything else, I really want From to take a stab at another King's Field/Shadow Tower, but with the sensibilities from the Souls games (e.g. a faster pace more conducive to actual combat). Basically Elder Souls, I guess.

e: Really what I actually want is another game like Shadow Tower Abyss. Killing weird alien things with swords and guns will never not be rad as hell.

I wouldn't be that excited about that, but that's just because I've never really enjoyed first-person melee combat. If a game has done that well, I've never played it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno man in the horror games thread people were arguing that MGSV was scary. People are just weenies.

Also I will not tolerate hate on Armord Core, making robots and blowing other robots up with your robot will never not be cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't be that excited about that, but that's just because I've never really enjoyed first-person melee combat. If a game has done that well, I've never played it.

Skyrim.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No, I played Skyrim. I was taking that into account.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know, am I crazy or has there not been a big name first person dungeon crawler in ages? The Elder Scrolls is the obvious example of first person fantasy but to me that's more about exploring big open areas and trecking through the world than the dungeon delving aspect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, am I crazy or has there not been a big name first person dungeon crawler in ages? The Elder Scrolls is the obvious example of first person fantasy but to me that's more about exploring big open areas and trecking through the world than the dungeon delving aspect.

The Legend of Grimrock games are pretty cool first-person dungeon crawlers, but they're party-based, not solo, and you have to like that sort of weird pseudo-real time combat. They're not exactly "big name" but they're pretty fun and have some neat puzzles.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Skyrim included a large underground map dungeon. Everything before oblivion included huge crazy dungeons. Battlespire was just a huge dungeon.

This is most likely just a technology point, before trees and land looked awful on the old machines, making dungeons with blocky surfaces seem nicer. Now its fliped wilderness looks amazing and all dungeons look boring.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss had locational damage and it was rad as hell. Basically you could slice off or shoot a demon's limbs or head off and it would change up their moveset. Really cool game. The Souls games only kind of have that with the tails of certain enemies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss had locational damage and it was rad as hell. Basically you could slice off or shoot a demon's limbs or head off and it would change up their moveset. Really cool game. The Souls games only kind of have that with the tails of certain enemies.

Please give me the child of binary domain and dark souls.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Chivalry and Dark messiah both have excellent first person melee systems. Especially Chivalry allows you to pull of some really cool and precise poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kikkelivelho posted:

Chivalry and Dark messiah both have excellent first person melee systems. Especially Chivalry allows you to pull of some really cool and precise poo poo.

Dark Souls would be improved to perfection with the inclusion of Dark Messiah's Mighty Boot and spikes on every flat surface.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Chivalry has a really cool melee system and the main problems you experience with it are a result of online play lag. In a PvE game, that wouldn't be an issue at all.

Tenzarin posted:

Skyrim included a large underground map dungeon. Everything before oblivion included huge crazy dungeons. Battlespire was just a huge dungeon.

This is most likely just a technology point, before trees and land looked awful on the old machines, making dungeons with blocky surfaces seem nicer. Now its fliped wilderness looks amazing and all dungeons look boring.

The only reason the dungeons in Oblivion looked like trash was because they were copy pasting literally everything. When Skyrim came around they designed a lot of the dungeons to have unique rooms and surprise, they actually looked nice. I'm sure someone will disagree with me there but I actually felt Skyrim had a lot of cool dungeons with interesting visuals.

You do have a point though that now that technology has advanced these kind of games don't feel the need to stay in a blocky dungeon for the entire thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kikkelivelho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

The kick is returning in DS3. :getin:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Skyrim's dungeons looked visually more interesting but it was mostly a straight corridor with small side paths to treasure every so often and then at the end you find a shortcut straight to the entrance of the dungeon. I wouldn't say they're well designed.

First person melee combat can work well but only a small handful of games actually do them well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why have I never played this game? This looks fun as hell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Skyrim's dungeons looked visually more interesting but it was mostly a straight corridor with small side paths to treasure every so often and then at the end you find a shortcut straight to the entrance of the dungeon. I wouldn't say they're well designed.

First person melee combat can work well but only a small handful of games actually do them well.

The shortcut thing really got noticeable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh from a gameplay perspective I'd agree, a lot of them were lacking. I was just saying that visually its a massive step up from Oblivion where they had 100+ dungeons that consisted of the same few rooms copy pasted in different orders.

I'm really sad that no other games have copied an ice spell that ragdolls enemies when they slip on it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Why have I never played this game? This looks fun as hell.

It's kind of janky but just kicking everything into spikes or death pits or pretty much anything you can think of is a lot of fun. It goes on sale frequently on Steam so you can pick up Dark Messiah of Might & Magic then.

Tenzarin posted:

The shortcut thing really got noticeable.

Yeah it was really dumb. Like Oblivion's dungeons were extremely boring and copypaste visually but at least it was possible to get turned around in them and you had to backtrack out of them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'd call the shortcuts a good design point myself. If I have to choose between immersion the breaking shortcuts to save time or the immersion breaking boredom of walking backwards through something I just finished, I'll take the former every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The new Shadow warrior also had good if somewhat limited melee combat system. Any combat system where you can do footsies or dance around your opponent is great.

• Locked thread