Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abraham linksys posted:

they last year; it's on spotify and vinyl

i hope lcd soundsystem gets back together so james murphy shaves his beard tbqh

Listening to this on Spotify and it ... sounds really muffled compared to the DVD version.

Is the vinyl like this? I want to order it, but not if it sounds this muddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

When I saw that this was featuring Tom Morello I had no idea how good it was going to be

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I've been saying since LCD first "broke up" that they'd wait the 5-year unwritten rule for breakups before reuniting. Their last show was April 2, 2011, which IMO means anything after 4/2/16 is fair game.

With the explosion of people catching on to LCD after the breakup/pretending they cared before the breakup (I was late to the party and I caught on when Sound of Silver came out, you loving kids! I'm losing my edge!) I can totally see them getting back together, especially if it meant launching that new Coachella East festival thing in the works. (Which, hopefully, drives Gov Ball's tickets down.) Especially since James' navel-gazing I Shouldn't Have Broken Up My Band - sorry, I mean Shut Up And Play The Hits - showed he missed LCD the moment they left the MSG stage.

I couldn't get to the LCD/Hot Chip show in Boston in 2010 and couldn't swing the Terminal 5 shows or afford tickets to the Long Goodbye, so I need this. I remember sitting on Ticketmaster all morning the day tickets went on sale, then seeing them go from on-sale to sold-out in the moment I clicked "Get Tickets." It was not a fun morning.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Saw Father John Misty last night for the second time this year. He was excellent back in March but I could really tell he had become more comfortable with the audience since then. The Q&A session before the encore was funny. Dude doesn't eat candy apparently. Also unsurprisingly will not be voting for Donald Trump.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Saw Father John Misty last night for the second time this year. He was excellent back in March but I could really tell he had become more comfortable with the audience since then. The Q&A session before the encore was funny. Dude doesn't eat candy apparently. Also unsurprisingly will not be voting for Donald Trump.

At mine someone challenged him to play 6 seconds of one of his songs one handed on drums and he did it. I loved the Q&A

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Someone at mine asked him why he didn't have black fans.. that was funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw Titus Andronicus last night and while it was a lot of fun, they were waaaaaaay too quiet. I would blame the venue, but I saw Caspian there a couple of weeks ago with no such issue. Three guitars and all of them were quieter than the piano.

New songs sound great, and the band is way tighter than it's ever been.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

Someone at mine asked him why he didn't have black fans.. that was funny.

Oh god how did he respond to that?

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

T Bowl posted:

I read that, and from what that writer said (it was a dumb college kid not a professional journalist).. it should have never been published. However, she does need to realize that these are thoughts most men are having anyway and aren't vocal about them. We are programmed to, come on.

I do think it's really lovely to put into a review for a concert though, and I hope that's what she meant, not the idea of her looking attractive to a male as being sexist.

for reference:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2015/10/03/best-coasts-bethany-cosentino-calls-out-music-writer-for-sexist-review/

tbf, i saw best coast in Oakland a couple years ago and it was pretty lame. I think their albums are alright, but it's hard to imagine a band that plays songs about California, while in California, yet look so bored.

a show that did not disappoint however was Titus Andronicus in SF a couple weeks ago. those guys were at peak energy for three hours straight and closed with a cover of SMB's "the joker"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Man you got three hours wtf? I got maybe one (although the show was all ages so the curfew certainly shortened things)

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Man you got three hours wtf? I got maybe one (although the show was all ages so the curfew certainly shortened things)

just about! the show ended around midnight and I was trying not to fall asleep on the drive home back to Sacramento.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm starting to really love Hot Chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Starting? They've been slaying for about a decade

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Oh god how did he respond to that?

He was kind of like :shrug: and then a black girl in the audience raised her hand and said MY MOTHER AND I LOVE YOU!

He then said "Well, there you go"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My favorite local band is releasing their EP finally next month. Some psychadelic, dreamy rock with an accordion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDfLZQzyKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO8Q_8Eq1y8

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 14, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Toro Y Moi tonight for the first time. Man, that was a lot of fun!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm never sure what the right thread is for these guys, but MUTEMATH finally has a new album, VITALS, coming out on November 13th. If you jumped on board with their previous album, be prepared for something completely different. Instead of an Instagram-filtered tribute to their New Orleans blues/rock heritage, it's their most synth-heavy, crystal-clear production yet. Three songs have been released so far, although almost all of the album's songs (and more) have already popped up in live bootlegs.

"Monument"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNLvyXmsv4

"Used To"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4M-U4Vuqvo

"Light Up" is available only for streaming on Wall Street Journal's web site but will probably show up on YouTube any minute:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/13/mutemath-looks-for-lasting-love-on-light-up-exclusive-song-premiere/

So far, it's taken me a while to get used to the decreased emphasis on live drumming, since Darren King is such a beast. But this stuff really is a treat for the ears, especially on a system with good bass. It's clear that the goal of this album is to create a great-sounding studio record rather than recapturing the live experience, and I can respect that. I saw them in NYC a few weeks ago and can confirm that their live shows are still as wild as ever.

The synth-heavy sound is obviously something that lines up pretty well with what's popular on the radio right now, but it's also something the band has always dabbled in, so it's a natural fit.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

http://www.stereogum.com/1837408/chairlift-ch-ching/mp3s/

New single by Chairlift, although apparently they've been performing it live for quite a while now.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

rear end Catchcum posted:

Starting? They've been slaying for about a decade

I mean that "I have recently began to listen to Hot Chip and enjoy them" rather than "I used to dislike Hot Chip, but now they are getting better".

I'm listening to more indie stuff then I did when I was young, but I don't have a record player or anything like that. Or downloading in FLACC. And I haven't become a sneaker enthusiast either.

But I like Hot Chip.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So aka ur basic af

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This Kississippi song is really good and reminds me of Sharks Keep Moving or Amy Blaschke maybe.

http://www.stereogum.com/1837401/band-to-watch-kississippi/franchises/band-to-watch/

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Have we talked about the new Neon Indian record yet? I'm thoroughly obsessed with it at the moment.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/12/445367719/first-listen-neon-indian-vega-intl-night-school?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm about to see Battles and the drums are set up so close to me I can literally reach out and touch the kick :vince:

Ahahahaha, I'm gonna go SO DEAF

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm about to see Battles and the drums are set up so close to me I can literally reach out and touch the kick :vince:

Ahahahaha, I'm gonna go SO DEAF

Haha, saw them yesterday and it was great. Only complaint is that I wish it went a little longer.

Also that Neon Indian record is great, I wasn't sure what to expect after a four-year break but I think it's his best album yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

Haha, saw them yesterday and it was great. Only complaint is that I wish it went a little longer.
It was intense as gently caress. They played both Ice Cream and Atlas, which is what I really wanted, plus a bunch of other songs. And they chatted with a bunch of crowd members, which was kind of hilarious.

HorseRenoir posted:

Also that Neon Indian record is great, I wasn't sure what to expect after a four-year break but I think it's his best album yet.
I still need to listen to that thing. He was dope on Jimmy Fallon the other night and I'm planning on seeing him live in a few weeks.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mt. Modular posted:

Have we talked about the new Neon Indian record yet? I'm thoroughly obsessed with it at the moment.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/12/445367719/first-listen-neon-indian-vega-intl-night-school?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music

This album is loving insane and may have what it takes to knock Tame Impala's new album out of place as my favorite album of the year.

To the post regarding seeing him, I saw him live earlier this week. It was a great time but he's not as great a live performer as I was hoping. Really lacking in visuals which is crazy to me, you'd think an artist like him would be all about some visuals. Doesn't really stray away from his studio material either. Also be sure to listen to his new album before seeing him. It seemed to be about half new stuff and I think that detracted from my enjoyment of the show since I just listened to it today.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

facebook jihad posted:

This album is loving insane and may have what it takes to knock Tame Impala's new album out of place as my favorite album of the year.

To the post regarding seeing him, I saw him live earlier this week. It was a great time but he's not as great a live performer as I was hoping. Really lacking in visuals which is crazy to me, you'd think an artist like him would be all about some visuals. Doesn't really stray away from his studio material either. Also be sure to listen to his new album before seeing him. It seemed to be about half new stuff and I think that detracted from my enjoyment of the show since I just listened to it today.

I thought the full live band instrumentation for Psychic Chasms/Era Extrana songs was really great. I assumed it would just be him bleeping and blooping on his computer so my expectations were low at the time. Seeing him play the theremin is worth the price of admission alone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Neon Indian is psychedelic as fuuuuuuuuck :catdrugs:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This story made me laugh and I feel no sympathy at all:

http://pitchfork.com/news/61661-joanna-newsom-spotify-is-the-banana-of-the-music-industry-it-just-gives-off-a-fume/

quote:

Joanna Newsom has strongly criticized Spotify, calling it a "cynical and musician-hating system" and "the banana of the music industry." "It just gives off a fume. You can just smell that something’s wrong with it," she said in a new interview with The Los Angeles Times.

Newsom, whose music is not available on streaming services (except for Pandora), said Spotify "is like a villainous cabal of major labels. The business is built from the ground up as a way to circumvent the idea of paying their artists."

While she said she saw the appeal of streaming services from a listener's perspective ("It's a genius idea"), her problems stem from Spotify's low payouts. "[The labels] can make their money from advertising and subscription, and they don’t have to pay their artists anything for that," she said. "So it’s set up in a way that they can just rob their artists, and most of their artists have no way to fight it because they’re contractually obligated to stay with the label for x amount of time and you can’t really opt out. It’s a garbage system."

Newsom pointed out Tidal as a service trying to do something different. "I know it was kind of roundly made fun of because of the way in which it was unveiled to the world, but from what I gather they were trying to address the issues that make Spotify so very evil," she said. "I don’t know if they successfully did it. I should look into it."

She concluded: "I understand why Spotify is great. I wish there was a way to provide the service they provide and have nobody lose, nobody be victimized by that."

I wonder if she's at all bitter that when you search her name on Spotify it links The Muppets soundtrack.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Fuckin' VEGA Intl., man. It should be illegal for something to be that good. I thought the single for Slumlord banged, but then Slumlord's Re-Lease had me yelling out loud at how good it was. Then Thank Your Lucky Stars blows Depression Cherry out of the water, and the new Majical Cloudz and Deerhunter records too? This year's been so good for music it's unfair.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Just got back from seeing Solas and The High Kings here in Vegas. The High Kings were great, but I hadn't heard of Solas before tonight, and holy gently caress are they amazing. An unresolved technical issue wasted 20 minutes of their show, and when it was finally obvious it wasn't gonna get fixed, they all came out and huddled around the 3 or so remaining microphones and played their hearts out anyway. Honestly, if this is them at their worst, they must be un-loving-believable at their best.

Got to shake their hands and get a copy of Shamrock City signed as well, so I'm ecstatic. I hope they come back next year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

T Bowl posted:

http://pitchfork.com/news/61661-joanna-newsom-spotify-is-the-banana-of-the-music-industry-it-just-gives-off-a-fume/

I wonder if she's at all bitter that when you search her name on Spotify it links The Muppets soundtrack.

But she's not wrong and it's been a huge criticism of Spotify since it got big? I'm pretty sure Radiohead isn't on there for similar reasons.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

T Bowl posted:

Yeah man, gently caress musicians for wanting to make a living.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What's wrong with bananas? :(

Personally I feel that a lot of musicians are viewing streaming services the wrong way. I don't view a person streaming an album as a substitute for one purchase of the album. Obviously if you view it that way, the comparison suggests that the artists are getting robbed. But I think it's more accurate to view it as a totally separate type of revenue. In my experience, people who care about owning albums will still buy them, and people who don't care won't. I view streaming revenue as just extra revenue from what would otherwise be illegal downloads or YouTube views.

On the other hand record companies are always obviously trying to screw people over so it's probably true they could split things more fairly.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Daughter released a new song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU5F-DvGLkA

Unfortunately the new album doesn't drop until 2016 (at least it's January). Goddamn.

This isn't getting enough love around here. The song is absolutely amazing. I was a little cold and "meh" on If You Leave, and this song is better than that whole album put together.

Depressing as hell though. But absolutely amazing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah man, gently caress musicians for wanting to make a living.

She makes a living, that's the annoying thing with people. Some smaller musicians won't, but she isn't that small. She makes plenty from touring, still getting sales from fanboys with Spotify or not, and from other merch. I get being frustrated with labels, but find a loving good one and stop signing deals with majors that handcuff you, is it that hard?

It's 2015, bitching about the digital age is stupid as hell. This is where we are at, it isn't going to change. I am sure you'd fight for all the factory workers who lost their jobs overseas as well? Yeah it sucks right? You still buy those overseas products.

Musicians need to realize that from now on their music isn't as viable to be sold in hard copies, or even digitally for that matter. They will still get sales, but refusing digital streaming at this point does more harm than it does good.

I bet Ms. Newsom makes thousands of dollars a night playing songs for an hour and a half, while she gets to hear cheering worship of her, and gets to see the world. Plus she totally will be able to ride it into her old age like say... a Kate Bush.

I don't feel the least bit sorry, no, get with the times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also she's married to Andy Samberg so it's not like her household income is in danger.

That being said, Spotify's pay rates are a joke and I'd rather hear complaining from her than from somebody like Prince who's truly rich as hell.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I always feel a little shameless putting my own stuff up, but my band Rice Cultivation Society has a new album coming out soon called "Mystical Shitheads." We just put out a video for one of the new songs that our label made using archival footage. It's trippier than our previous stuff, also heavier and more rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1r37_Xy8Sc

Just to even this out, I'm excited to give a full listen to the surprise new Beach House album. I thought Depression Cherry was a little underwhelming, I'm glad to have a new album to listen to that might scratch the itch the other one missed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlnJ5Z3PNWo

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

MHoW is half empty and they're about to go on; this is super weird!!

And yeah I did Jukely to go see Young Thug at Central Park for less than an actual ticket; will probably cancel after this

I take back what I said about Jukely. I'm seeing Courtney Barnett at Baby's this Saturday, and that more than justifies their monthly fee. I'll probably cancel after I claim another show afterwards, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

interpunct posted:

I take back what I said about Jukely. I'm seeing Courtney Barnett at Baby's this Saturday, and that more than justifies their monthly fee. I'll probably cancel after I claim another show afterwards, though.

I don't have the +$10/mo reserve-further-in-advance plan, so I'm a little worried about not managing to grab a spot at that show. I had no trouble reserving a War on Drugs ticket, but that was at a twice-the-size venue.

I guess if I fail to get a ticket for that, I'll maybe grab a Disclosure ticket, since I wonder how the hell this would even work at MSG. They don't give out tickets in advance for most shows, just add you to the will call list, which I don't think MSG even has