Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I assume having a "democracies can start wars" option like in Darkest Hour wouldn't break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I wonder if the Spanish Civil War will actually be interesting this time around.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Rincewind posted:

I'm weirdly excited for the France dev diary next week. I kind of want my first HoI IV game to be a successful defense of France, although I'm horrible at games so it probably won't go very well.

Hah, me too, I figure that getting crushed by Germany will give some good insight into the mechanics of the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
According to Democratic Peace Theory, wars between democracies are very unlikely and, if you define democracy as modern democracy rather than historical limited democracy, has indeed never happened. So Paradox are clearly just using a restrictive definition within an academic theory and it's all good forever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

But also from a historical perspective, I don't think there are really all that many examples of fascist dictatorships declaring war on each other, or communist states doing it, within the game period?
It's not like fascists dictatorships have had much of a chance to, though as far as I know, Mussolini definitely considered aligning against Hitler early on, which could have seen him militarily opposing the Anschluss. Anyway, I don't think it's solely a question of historical precedence, it's also a matter of the nature of democratic states vs. authoritarian states, and ideology. A fascist state is basically defined by the idea of a strong leader, a veneration of violence and aggression, and a desire to act out against "the other". It makes perfect sense then to give fascists the ability to just declare war willy nilly, even against other fascists, because both the war itself and the aftermath align perfectly well with the ideology of the state.

That's not really the case for a democracy trying to attack another democracy. Like, what would the government tell its populace it was fighting for? The Brits and the French had a hard enough time getting peopled jazzed up about fighting the Nazis, imagine trying to convince the populace to fight another country which isn't being aggressive at all. At least the communists have the pretext of liberating the peoples they subjugate, either from fascists/capitalists, or from the bourgeois scum who have corrupted the revolution in whatever communist country they're invading. Plus you know, not having to listen to their populations either.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
HoI IV should prioritize interestingness over strict historicity. In retrospect, Germany and Japan had clearly lost their respective wars by the end of 1942. That fact would make a pretty boring game if it were adhered to. So would Mexico/Ireland not being able to join the Axis or Italy not being able to join the Allies or all kinds of other permutations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lord Tywin posted:

Hah, me too, I figure that getting crushed by Germany will give some good insight into the mechanics of the game.

Learning HoI IV is going to be... rough, since everyone always says to play Germany and I refuse to play as Nazis on principle.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rincewind posted:

Learning HoI IV is going to be... rough, since everyone always says to play Germany and I refuse to play as Nazis on principle.

Didn't you play Byzantium in a Let's Play?

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like the multiple factions system, but I really hope a lot of these rules aren't hard-coded, or I'm going to be waiting a few expansions or so to try adapting Kaiserreich.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I can't imagine something that wasn't hard-coded in HoI2 will be in HOI4.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Chief Savage Man posted:

I can't imagine something that wasn't hard-coded in HoI2 will be in HOI4.

IIRC they outright said Nat'l Focus trees where going to be moddable. I'll be shocked if there isn't a declare war on anybody/free for all mod. Also Kaiserreich and other scenarios will probably be plentiful.

But yeah for the default game it honestly makes sense to have ways to put the breaks on random conquest, or you could easily cheese things. Also there is historical precedent to back it up as a mechanic even if it's something of a generalization.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 16, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My main problem is the lower number of ideologies- I assume Communists and Fascists can be renamed into Syndicalists and whatever blanket term fits the right in Kaiserreich if any, but there's no point in having elections for them (Which I'm sure is also an option) if the only options are totally different ideologies.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I just wanted to let everyone know I bought War of the Roses at launch. Truly, I am sorry.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

stupid bitch idiot hellfucker

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Someone used America invading Iraq as an example in that thread.

Iraq under Saddam Hussein. Notable democracy.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
A democracy is where the majority of the people get to decide who their leader is.

Like America under Bush II.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is pretty great, but it just came out and it's Tecmo-Koei, so it's $60 right now(and add $27 if you want all the DLC scenarios). So you might want to wait for a sale.

One thing i'll say is that the game is really easy- it doesn't take long to figure out the good strats and it just becomes cleanup far too quickly for my liking.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

A democracy is where the majority of the people get to decide who their leader is.

drat electoral college! :argh:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic. :smug:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there are no democracies because every government is ruled in secret by the reptilians.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Freudian posted:

The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic. :smug:
I've heard this argument unironically numerous times and it always baffles me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rincewind posted:

lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

SoggyBobcat posted:

I've heard this argument unironically numerous times and it always baffles me.

They are essentially interchangeable and it is nonsensical in modern times. However back in the day, democracy was just kind of the overarching political philosophy [re-]emerging and a republic was the established enlightenment term for a popular sovereignty, the antithesis of a monarchy. Basically James Madison was busy cribbing Machiavelli and nobody had written democracy to be defined as a form of government ruled by the people yet.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

words can have multiple definitions. for some people on the internet this is an impossible concept to grasp so they only ever use one definition per word regardless of context. everyone hates and reviles these people.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Not in my America. One man, one woman. One word, one definition.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Asproigerosis posted:

They are essentially interchangeable and it is nonsensical in modern times. However back in the day, democracy was just kind of the overarching political philosophy [re-]emerging and a republic was the established enlightenment term for a popular sovereignty, the antithesis of a monarchy. Basically James Madison was busy cribbing Machiavelli and nobody had written democracy to be defined as a form of government ruled by the people yet.

Not just Machiavelli, there was a long tradition of republican thought that Madison and Jefferson et al were coming out of. And there is (especially at that time) an important theoretical difference in meaning between the two - a democracy is a government in which the people rule, with strong connotations of mob rule and anarchy; a republic is basically any government of citizens as equals and there are a lot of different structural methods for determining where political authority comes from. And there's also an economic class element - since the majority of the people are poor, it's going to be the poor who hold power in a democracy, but this is very much not the case in a republic.

It's completely outmoded because essentially every government in the modern era tries to justify itself in democratic terms anyway, and because the formal presence of a king or queen often doesn't have any real effect on the processes of government so it doesn't really matter that much whether you're formally a republic. So, like, yeah, the United States is a republic, but it's also run on democratic principles, so the distinction isn't really all that useful. Similarly the UK is not a republic but most of the operating principles are the same. Just doesn't matter much anymore. It is, at best, a good reminder that the will of the majority is not in itself enough to make a law, but that's about it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Isn't the only 'proper' Democracy, in the sense of 'everyone votes on drat near everything, directly,' rather than 'the electing cunts who don't do their jobs right' sense, Switzerland?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Gort posted:

Didn't you play Byzantium in a Let's Play?

Well, yeah, but the various bad things I did in that LP weren't reenactments of actual historical atrocities that happened within living memory, and by the time we got to the 20th century we were radical syndicalists intent on Smashing the Fash.

gosh why would i possibly not want to play as the perpetrators of the holocaust in a game series i enjoy for their emergent narratives

I mean, obviously I'm not saying that everyone who plays as the Nazis in any WWII strategy game is a bad person, or anyway-- I'm just talking about my own personal comfort level. But for me, what elevates Paradox games over other strategy games is the way they tell stories, of the way they take at least an abstraction of some real moment in history and then diverge from it in interesting ways, instead of just being an abstract system that's kind of history-themed, like Civilization, or whatever. Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

And, I mean, maybe that's hypocritical, since in other Paradox games you're probably still doing like twenty awful things a minute, but HoI IV feels a little different to me since it's both so much more recent and so specific-- it's not several centuries in which some stuff that may or may not be similar to real-world events might play out, it's 1936 and Hitler is already in power, and I (again, just speaking personally) can't get over the sense of just what that represents in the narrative of an HoI IV game and just appreciate the abstract strategy or it all, or be interested in the Man in the High Castle-esque historical counterfactual, or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is morally obligated to feel like this, or that we shouldn't have WWII games, or whatever-- I'm just trying to articulate the reasons why I, personally, am kind of weirded out about playing as the Nazis. Like, it's fine that not everyone feels like that, but I hope it's at least kind of understandable why somebody might be?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can a country be part of more than one faction at a time? And do support units on a division stack? (Can I create a super-suppression unit of nothing but MP companies or a death division with five artillery units?)

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Chief Savage Man posted:

America. A nation that is notable for not being a democracy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rincewind posted:

Well, yeah, but the various bad things I did in that LP weren't reenactments of actual historical atrocities that happened within living memory, and by the time we got to the 20th century we were radical syndicalists intent on Smashing the Fash.

gosh why would i possibly not want to play as the perpetrators of the holocaust in a game series i enjoy for their emergent narratives

I mean, obviously I'm not saying that everyone who plays as the Nazis in any WWII strategy game is a bad person, or anyway-- I'm just talking about my own personal comfort level. But for me, what elevates Paradox games over other strategy games is the way they tell stories, of the way they take at least an abstraction of some real moment in history and then diverge from it in interesting ways, instead of just being an abstract system that's kind of history-themed, like Civilization, or whatever. Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

And, I mean, maybe that's hypocritical, since in other Paradox games you're probably still doing like twenty awful things a minute, but HoI IV feels a little different to me since it's both so much more recent and so specific-- it's not several centuries in which some stuff that may or may not be similar to real-world events might play out, it's 1936 and Hitler is already in power, and I (again, just speaking personally) can't get over the sense of just what that represents in the narrative of an HoI IV game and just appreciate the abstract strategy or it all, or be interested in the Man in the High Castle-esque historical counterfactual, or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is morally obligated to feel like this, or that we shouldn't have WWII games, or whatever-- I'm just trying to articulate the reasons why I, personally, am kind of weirded out about playing as the Nazis. Like, it's fine that not everyone feels like that, but I hope it's at least kind of understandable why somebody might be?

I'm like this. But with the Confederacy.

gently caress the Confederacy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

If it helps any, "How Germany/USSR/UK/France/Japan turned things around" is a tragedy for humanity and it's going to be one of those in almost all cases.

e: you can include the US there probably but this is one of those few periods when the US is on the left-hand side of the bell curve of all belligerents' historical shitheadedness. Admittedly, the US is always on the left side of the bell curve of any war involving the UK. Everyone is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rincewind posted:

holy lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People like that guy make me embarassed to enjoy mapgames

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nah. It's super weird playing a successful game as Germany and then realizing you just led the Nazis to world domination. Yeah, it's a video game, but still, it's weird, and it's just way more comforting to not play as the Nazis and just play as one of their opponents and beat up Nazis instead.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why does no one feel this way about the USSR under Stalin?

Edit: I'm saying Goons are mostly communists

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 17, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

People like that guy make me embarassed to enjoy mapgames
Yeah, gently caress you if you feel slightly uncomfortable with justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man!

Seriously though, chill man. People can play map games however they want, and if they feel uncomfortable with certain things they don't have to play with them. Nobody's is or should be forcing people to enjoy a game a certain way. After all, isn't part of the fun of Sandbox games being able to set your own objectives?

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 17, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Sharmat posted:

Edit: I'm saying Goons are mostly communists

SA is basically a communism agenda station tbh have you read DnD

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, gently caress you if you feel slightly uncomfortable with justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man!

He's laughing because the idea that people actually think playing as Germany in a war oriented map game means "justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man" is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Because communism is right, and also correct. :ussr: