Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I dunno about you guys, but I play mapgames because of the atrocities I get to commit, not in spite of them. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're not a horrific monster that will be remembered as one of the worst people in history by the end of a game of Crusader Kings, Victoria, or Europa Universalis you are playing the game objectively wrong.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

Why does no one feel this way about the USSR under Stalin?
While the USSR did some really hosed up poo poo, their crimes aren't really seen at the forefront of the state since Stalin wasn't literally the sole aspect of their nation. On the other hand, Nazi Germany, Hitler, and the holocaust are all so inseparably linked that it's difficult to think of one without the other. Just like people don't mind playing the United States back when slavery or the native American Genocide were still a thing.

Edit: This also explains why people have the same thing with the confederacy; It's possible to play the US and be able to shove the slavery bits into the back of your head with the not-so-bad stuff, but since the Confederacy was pretty much purely about owning Human property you can't play them and also not think about the fact that you are essentially fighting for racism.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 17, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've seen WW2 grognard Naziphiles say the same things about Hitler while fervently praying at their shrine to Rommel.

Does anyone ever actually play as the US in Vicky 2?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Larry Parrish posted:

People like that guy make me embarassed to enjoy mapgames

The Sharmat posted:

He's laughing because the idea that people actually think playing as Germany in a war oriented map game means "justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man" is absurd.

:rolleyes:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I've started playing Vicky 2 and wow this game can be depressing. It seems like two-thirds of the mechanics are centered around exploiting the world's poor for most western countries. Note, however, I still enjoy playing it and am able to separate the little pixel men I order to their death from actual historical events.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Many a time I've been disappointed at having to waste money hanging some nameless thralls at the Great Blot when my dungeon was full of perfectly good Christian children.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
It's weird, it's like the guy didn't explicitly state why he was personally uncomfortable playing as Germany and was careful to say he wasn't judging anyone else!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VerdantSquire posted:

Edit: This also explains why people have the same thing with the confederacy; It's possible to play the US and be able to shove the slavery bits into the back of your head with the not-so-bad stuff, but since the Confederacy was pretty much purely about owning Human property you can't play them and also not think about the fact that you are essentially fighting for racism.

The real way to play the Confederacy is to make them lose in an even more hilarious fashion.

"Preisdent Davis! The Yankees are here! And they brought EVERYONE with them!"

"...Alex, we escaped to Brazil, how did they get -"

*Jefferson Davis then looks out his window to see literally every adult male in the Union armed with a gun climbing out of canoes*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hitler's a bad person and it's very normal for people not to want to identify with him.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I play mapgames because of the atrocities I get to commit, not in spite of them. :smugbert:

The Sharmat posted:

If you're not a horrific monster that will be remembered as one of the worst people in history by the end of a game of Crusader Kings, Victoria, or Europa Universalis you are playing the game objectively wrong.

i would rather genocide the world then be genocided by it

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Every time I culture flipped a province in EU3 I shed a tear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how the new culture mechanics in The Cossacks would realistically work.

"ATTENTION PEOPLE OF SKANE, YOU ARE REQUIRED NOW TO ADOPT THE CUSTOMS AND SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF THE NENETS. YOU ARE TO TAKE NENET NAMES AND PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION. FROM THIS DAY FORTH, ANY MAN FOUND SPEAKING THE SWEDISH LANGUAGE WILL BE WHIPPED PUBLICALLY."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The cocoon of irony goons sheath themselves in so they can post cool GBS threads also allows them to play mapgames like a boss :swag: :swag:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrSunshine posted:

Many a time I've been disappointed at having to waste money hanging some nameless thralls at the Great Blot when my dungeon was full of perfectly good Christian children.

actually this because if my Norse ruler doesn't die in battle or in a duel because he hung 6 of the king of france's kids he was no real man

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Be right back, gonna make a slight modification to the event files so you can hang a baby.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i can already have it tossed out a window! whats the diff!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Does anyone ever actually play as the US in Vicky 2?

I do it a lot. I take a perverse glee in sabotaging the Confederate war effort before it can even begin to coalesce (Turn all southern soldier pops into irregulars, admit every state I can as a free one, etc.)

I feel like a lot of the hangups around Hearts of Iron are personal- mine are. I can't play the main campaign as anybody because I keep thinking about my grandfather's time in the 65th Infantry or my maternal grandparents working in Britain during the Blitz. My uncle's father was a camp survivor to boot. It's a little neurotic, but WWII is real to a lot of people in a way other time periods aren't.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

verbal enema posted:

i can already have it tossed out a window! whats the diff!

I dont want anyone to think its an accident. Sends to wrong message

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I like playing as an evil fucker in map painting sims (c.f. my earlier post about what I want to do to aliens in Stellaris) but I also like playing as an ahistorically progressive power and often I am in between.

It is totally reasonable for other people to have different attitudes towards this and consider some powers/countries/leaders to be something they don't enjoy playing as. This is natural and normal and even a monumentally autistic goon like me can understand that.

Admittedly I would be fascinated to see someone like Rincewind do an LP which involves Bad Things and how Byzantiny comes to terms with it later when they realize what they did, because it would be nice to see a take other than "and glorious Fuhrer Mosley killed all the Cornish, allowing Britain to enter a new golden age", but that is a very different thing.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

We're never getting a good 21st century mapgame because so many of the countries you might play are awful. :( I blame society, personally.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DrSunshine posted:

i judge all games on warcrimes per dollar

fire in the lake is the perfect game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like the biggest joke is that the nazis dont have to be in power in HoI. You can change that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But basically you're a loving dipshit if you think supporting nazis or whatever and playing a large, grey, GERMANY on a map is the same thing.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Larry Parrish posted:

But basically you're a loving dipshit if you think supporting nazis or whatever and playing a large, grey, GERMANY on a map is the same thing.

Nobody said it was the same thing.

Dude said he felt weird about it. Not that he had a deep-rooted political objection to it or w/e.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Is somebody else's playing preferences this big a problem for you?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Larry Parrish said something stupid? Must be a day ending with y.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ncvm

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DStecks posted:

Larry Parrish said something stupid? Must be a day ending with y.

But every da....

Oh.

OH.

Slightly relevant, I guess? Conversation reminded me of it.

Make countries that didn't even exist at the time do terrible things!

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The divergences mod for vicky2 would be so good if it didn't come with pop demand. Finally, a reason to play as aragon in something, but nevermind more useless goods for my capitalists to go bankrupt with

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I had read that POP Demand had started to turn itself around- I guess that's not true?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I am admittedly worse with it and I won't pretend that doesn't color my opinion. I still play Divergences anyway just because I like good alt history mods and Eu4 doesn't have one that's like, Div/Kaiserreich material or even close to my knowledge.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Did MiscMods ever make it to EU4? That was a great one for EU3 alt history games. My Druidic Ireland game was a hoot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I guess the whole "Playing as the Nazis" thing is icky - it's a shame though, 'cause they provide a "hard mode" to play once you're familiar with the game, and alt-history is fun. It'd be cool if HoI4 had some alternative start scenarios like War in the Pacific does that beef up the Axis in semi-plausible ways to make the war less of a foregone conclusion - that way you'd get the hard mode without the ick.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

People like that guy make me embarassed to enjoy mapgames

Larry Parrish posted:

That's the joke. Groogy is a retard who doesn't understand why his game is fun. Not surprising to me though since a lot of SA mapgamer people seem to think it's a piece of webcomic art generation software instead of a game that you should play.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
When I play as Germany in HOI I just disband every military division and allow glorious communism to be brought to Berlin. My conscience and education will only allow me to play video games through the lens of the proletariat.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

When I play as Germany in HOI I just disband every military division and allow glorious communism to be brought to Berlin. My conscience and education will only allow me to play video games through the lens of the proletariat.

:ussr:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Same but as Japan because communism needs anime

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how the new culture mechanics in The Cossacks would realistically work.

"ATTENTION PEOPLE OF SKANE, YOU ARE REQUIRED NOW TO ADOPT THE CUSTOMS AND SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF THE NENETS. YOU ARE TO TAKE NENET NAMES AND PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION. FROM THIS DAY FORTH, ANY MAN FOUND SPEAKING THE SWEDISH LANGUAGE WILL BE WHIPPED PUBLICALLY."

It does seem weird and gamey that you can convert your own state culture to another one. I'm assuming it works with a very large dose of hand-waving abstraction, and shouldn't be interpreted as a state action. Some sort of natural migration/demographic change which you pay for with monarch points as the 4th wall breaking player instead of the nation.

EDIT: My immersion. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well he's not wrong