Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
:siren: possible sausage man sighting in sheffield :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i live

i have no idea how i got back last night but it took me about four hours

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bozza posted:

My friends have got a kitten. It is v small.

2 smol

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008

XMNN posted:

:siren: possible sausage man sighting in sheffield :siren:

I'm in Spalding

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

you have my deepest sympathies

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Pedricko posted:

I'm in Spalding

Is that where they make the basketballs?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the next thread will be called 'uk thread the next generation: wheres saussieman' to bring us back to our correct saussie trajectory

sout
Apr 24, 2014

saustralia

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you have my deepest sympathies

It's pretty much the worst place I've ever been

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The other UKMT didn't appreciate this link, but you guys might

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qKTRLWl.jpg :nws:

Margaret Thatcher, dressed up as some sort of Amazon warrior, riding a flying penis.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Try the editorial cartoon thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I honestly think I can continue on with life having never clicked that link.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen worse.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sack's pretty dangly

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

sack's pretty dangly

you sound like an expert :prepop:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is not difficult to recognise a dangly sack, nor does it require special expertise or experience

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it is not difficult to recognise a dangly sack, nor does it require special expertise or experience

:frogon:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

is maggie really small or is the dong really big?

:iiam:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit He-Man and Battle Cat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ookiimarukochan posted:

The other UKMT didn't appreciate this link, but you guys might

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qKTRLWl.jpg :nws:

Margaret Thatcher, dressed up as some sort of Amazon warrior, riding a flying penis.

ooooow :(

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bozza posted:

Thrash it with rubber hoses or w\e

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

beat your friend's cat

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i had a headache earlier and i think it was due to a lack of caffeine

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

youtube commenter posted:

Anyone ever claimed a refund from the Student Loan Company and if so do you know how far back you are allowed to claim?

I've been overpaying my student loan contributions since 2008.

The Student Loan company decided as of a few weeks ago that they feel like they have overpaid me my student grant for all of my final year (they think I'm not entitled to any of the grant money of that year) and they want the money back in full (we're talking 3K here). They then proceed to offer my sister the exact same amount that they are asking for me to pay back. Their logic makes no sense.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Bozza posted:

:3:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Manic X posted:

The Student Loan company decided as of a few weeks ago that they feel like they have overpaid me my student grant for all of my final year (they think I'm not entitled to any of the grant money of that year) and they want the money back in full (we're talking 3K here). They then proceed to offer my sister the exact same amount that they are asking for me to pay back. Their logic makes no sense.

i've a mate who had a very similar thing happen to him. afaik the worst they can do is withhold funding if you return to study again. they seem to gently caress up a lot :/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They never know what the gently caress is going on. They must deal with half a billion a year but never know what to do about even the common mistakes.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

crispix posted:

i've a mate who had a very similar thing happen to him. afaik the worst they can do is withhold funding if you return to study again. they seem to gently caress up a lot :/

They've sent me a few letters since I've finished studying demanding the money back or they'll contact a debt collection agency. That's the thing, I don't know how far they'll go to get it back. I've not contacted them at all about the matter, I've been burying my head in the sand pretending it's not there. So here's to hoping they don't some how screw me.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Yeah if you search student loan company overpayment (which I did to try to get info about claiming back my stuff) you get hundreds of results from thestudentroom about exactly the thing you're talking about.

You also get a bunch of results about people who have paid off their loans completely but SLC continue to take money from their pay cheque anyway because they're awful.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's actually a policy that's been slowly creeping in since 1997. You have to apply to government departments for things to stop or start well in advance, for example you don't get pensions automatically anymore, you have to apply and it goes from your application date not from when you were entitled so they get to keep your money. Auto rejections is also a thing, say you apply for disability, a certain percentage will be rejected to a quota because lots of people just accept the first decision and it saves them hundreds of millions, if those same people were to reapply then most of them will win just because someone will actually read the application form this time.

So if your student loan is coming to an end you want to contact them the day before your money is taken out every month for three months to get yourself on record in the system and you will have a much higher chance of it stopping when it's supposed to. Demand a letter from them giving the exact date that your payments will end During that first call and take it into your bank and show it to your bank manager/call telephone banking as they should be able to block any additional payments.

Edit: it's not only £20/£100/£300 over, it's your money, that you could use to buy one hell of a lot of sausages with, trust me if you owed them even £1 they would be perfectly happy to take it all the way to court.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 17, 2015

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

i find the best way of dealing with slc is earning too little for them to even care you exist, suck it loan givers

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Manic X posted:

They've sent me a few letters since I've finished studying demanding the money back or they'll contact a debt collection agency. That's the thing, I don't know how far they'll go to get it back. I've not contacted them at all about the matter, I've been burying my head in the sand pretending it's not there. So here's to hoping they don't some how screw me.

when did you start/finish studying?

just be careful because apparently for the new loans they can hike the interest on your debt if they're not able to get in touch with you http://www.slc.co.uk/services/interest-rates.aspx :/

crispix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 17, 2015

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

tescos own brand vanilla cola is actually pretty good tbh

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

crispix posted:

when did you start/finish studying?

just be careful because apparently for the new loans they can hike the interest on your debt if they're not able to get in touch with you http://www.slc.co.uk/services/interest-rates.aspx :/

I finished studying May 2015. The problem is I have the money to pay them back the 3K right now if I wanted. But what really pisses me off is that I saved hard through University so that I could have some money left over coming out of it. Meanwhile everyone else in my class pissed away all of their money and even went into overdraft, and they're not in this situation. I'm very bitter about the whole thing. Thanks for your advice though!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Vitamins posted:

i find the best way of dealing with slc is earning too little for them to even care you exist, suck it loan givers
this is all well and good but if you get a xmas bonus then the month that it goes through the SLC think you're earning a lot more than you are and they charge you accordingly. this is the reason I've been paying too much.

edit:

learnincurve posted:

So if your student loan is coming to an end ...take it into your bank and show it to your bank manager/call telephone banking as they should be able to block any additional payments.
I don't think this will work since the payments come from your payslip not your bank and that's dealt with by HMRC

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 17, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

this is all well and good but if you get a xmas bonus then the month that it goes through the SLC think you're earning a lot more than you are and they charge you accordingly. this is the reason I've been paying too much.

SLC; what a bunch of fuckers

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

ive already got this worked out, im not eligible for any bonuses whatsoever :smuggo:

:smith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it's coming out of your pay check then I know it's a pain in the arse but I can't stress enough how much more effective going into government/council buildings and talking to a human is, preferably before something that is going to happen does so. So much within the civil service is done automatically by a computer and then when it goes wrong it's people with minimum training and a computer system that won't let them do much on the help lines, few years ago all this stuff changed from being dealt with by the actual departments to being outsourced to call centres, so it's a completely different set of people working at the bricks and mortar buildings. Take pay slips in and show them that it's a bonus, people who work in these places are not absolute bastards, I've found this type of officious twat tends to gravitate towards the counter jobs at job centres and the housing benefit desk at councils.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
im drinking in a hipster pub with 69 craft beers on the menu now i know where to take fluo when he accosts me on surbiton high street at knifepoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
no jukebox only record player. david bowie. DAVID BOWIE