Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sprint is following up their Boost Mobile tweaks with some Virgin Mobile tweaks:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...ger-data-plans/

Data now starts at 1GB instead of 250MB and iHeartRadio, Pandora and Slacker Radio now stream data-free.
Virgin Mobile is one of the few prepaid brands that explicitly allows use of the wifi hotspot feature on your smartphone; they offer $5/month for 1GB of hotspot data or $10/month for 2GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Anybody know if the Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P will work on PagePlus?

I'm about to move to the backwoods, but I don't want to give up my sweet sweet T-Mobile until absolutely necessary.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

BrainParasite posted:

Anybody know if the Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P will work on PagePlus?

I'm about to move to the backwoods, but I don't want to give up my sweet sweet T-Mobile until absolutely necessary.
Both of them should work on Verizon, so I assume PagePlus would activate them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
In an effort to avoid a frustrating phone call with support, I wanted to see if anyone here has had this experience with Cricket and can tell me what to expect.

I have two lines (wife and myself) and I BELIEVE my line is the primary line, if there is such a thing as there being a line that's primary. I am receiving a phone for work and I'm planning on porting my personal number to Google Voice and consolidate into one device. The question I have is what should I expect to happen to our account? Will my line just be removed from the account and my wife become primary or are there steps I need to take now to assure that she does not have anything negative happen with her line?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Does anyone have any hands on impressions with Project Fi? I am on Verizon's unlimited plan but really don't use that much data. My office is almost a complete deadzone for all the major carriers so I liked the idea of being able to use Wi-Fi for calls. I am considering ordering a Nexus 5X to try Fi and just switching to either T-mobile or Cricket if Fi gives me issues.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Does anyone have any hands on impressions with Project Fi? I am on Verizon's unlimited plan but really don't use that much data. My office is almost a complete deadzone for all the major carriers so I liked the idea of being able to use Wi-Fi for calls. I am considering ordering a Nexus 5X to try Fi and just switching to either T-mobile or Cricket if Fi gives me issues.

I, too, am interested in Project Fi. I'm on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid "nerd plan" (unlimited texts, 5gb/month data, 100 minutes), but I don't use anywhere near 5gb a month (usually in the neighborhood of 1), and I'd like the convenience of unlimited minutes.

Anyone here using it, yet? It would also be a great excuse for me to pick up a new Nexus 5X.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

THF13 posted:

You can already use wifi for calls, just use Hangouts and Google Voice.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I got my Project Fi invite today, so I've now got a Nexus 5X on the way and hopefully I'll be up and running by next week. I'll let you all know how it goes for me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Moving to new place. Dug up all the sim cards me and my wife used in the last couple years and did a group photo.

Well most of them anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Did you really switch plans back and forth that much or do you not realize that they make SIM card adapters?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Lblitzer posted:

Did you really switch plans back and forth that much or do you not realize that they make SIM card adapters?

He used a combo of Google voice and cheap prepaid sim cards that came with promotional first month credit. Thus switched to a new sim every month instead of paying the next month charge.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Moto G (3rd generation / 2015) is now an option on Virgin Mobile USA, for $149.99.

For 24 hours Google Fi is giving out "instant invites".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got this out of the blue today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whatever7 posted:

I got this out of the blue today.

Now through forever, taxes included.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Republic customer here. I've been a huge advocate for their service but trying to get a replacement under warranty for a malfunctioning phone has been one of the most painful experiences of my life. Worst customer service I've ever experienced by a wide margin. 5 days now and still no resolution on whether I can get a replacement phone or not.

Just a heads up if this is an issue for anyone out there considering them. "Good customer service" is pretty much a bottom priority for me as I can handle most things myself, but theirs is so abysmally bad it has me looking elsewhere for phone service.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Like, what I'm going through right now just to get a broken phone replaced would make even Time Warner Cable or Comcast blush. It's bad.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just discovered/realized that the Nexus TX will need a nano sim, not micro. I also need to go to a store to port my wife's number from cricket (right?). Can I do that at a cricket authorized retailer store or do I need a corporate store?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Just discovered/realized that the Nexus TX will need a nano sim, not micro. I also need to go to a store to port my wife's number from cricket (right?). Can I do that at a cricket authorized retailer store or do I need a corporate store?

Porting to or away from cricket? You shouldn't need to go to a store for either of those. It can be done online.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Athenry posted:

You'll either have to do the port in a cricket store or call them to get it moved over. It's something specific between straight talk and Cricket that gets things caught up.

Er, porting from StraightTalk to Cricket, which I hear there are problems with. I need to go and get nano sims either way (didn't plan ahead and thought my micro sim would be fine) so who knows.

And it looks like there isn't a "corporate store" vs "authorized retailer" thing going on, or at the very least the store down the street that says "authorized dealer" on the door just shows up normally on the cricket website.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm on cricket and just got the Nexus 5x. When I go to enable a tethering hotspot I get an error that I need to enable it with subscriber. I find this very odd being a phone that doesn't go through any carrier. None of my other Android phones have had this issue.

Is there any way around this? Very important feature for me.

edit: Tried adding the tethering option to my Cricket plan as mentioned before but it's not an option under features. I even popped my plan up to the $60 a month (thinking that the $5/mo discount is affecting that from showing up since it's available on $50/mo and up plans).

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I'm on cricket and just got the Nexus 5x. When I go to enable a tethering hotspot I get an error that I need to enable it with subscriber. I find this very odd being a phone that doesn't go through any carrier. None of my other Android phones have had this issue.

edit: Tried adding the tethering option to my Cricket plan as mentioned before but it's not an option under features. I even popped my plan up to the $60 a month (thinking that the $5/mo discount is affecting that from showing up since it's available on $50/mo and up plans).

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/mobile-hotspot/customer/hotspot-compatible-phones.html

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got to pay those nice guy tether tax.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

whatever7 posted:

Got to pay those nice guy tether tax.

Except they only let you pay if you use the phones on their list. They don't support it for byod androids.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ugh, that sucks. Think it may be time to try out Fi.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TraderStav posted:

Are you using the same SIM that was in the other devices that did tether?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you using the same SIM that was in the other devices that did tether?

Yes.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just bought this to reload my T-mobile dork plan, am I gonna have a hard or impossible time loading this to my account?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-T-Mobile-USA-Prepaid-Refill-Card-100-75-50-25-/201384000057

quote:

I have received another small batch of these to sell. They always go really fast so don't hesitate.

What you are buying:

A T-Mobile USA Prepaid SIM Card with a $100 balance
This is hands down the best way to save money on your prepaid cell phone bill.

Once you complete the purchase on eBay we will send you a confirmation e-mail with the account information as well as ship the sim card.
We do send an instant message on eBay with the information so that you can complete the transfer same day.
(It may take up to 24 hours depending on time of purchase).

You can transfer this balance to your existing T-Mobile prepaid account.
Pay-as-you-go, Legacy, $30, $40, $50, $60, $70, $80 monthly or simple choice rate plans.
You can also use this in your cell phone as a new line. (Micro sim. If a different size is needed, let me know)

To Transfer the Balance to Your Existing Account:

Contact T-Mobile preferably through their chat: http://support.t-mobile.com/community/contact-us
Tell them you want to transfer the balance from this account to your other account.
They will ask you for information from both accounts to complete the transfer.
The account that you will receive from me will be deactivated once you transfer the balance.

Transferring a balance to your account DOES NOT necessarily extend the credit expiration date on your existing account.
You will have to add $10 to your account through T-mobile to reset your expiration date to your rate plan's max exp date.

You can begin transferring the balance as soon as you receive the the account information!

*The balance of your SIM Card will be $100
These accounts are set up on the pay-as-you-go rate plan. T-mobile charges these rate plans $3 per month before they are transferred to your line.
This is currently the only rate plan that will maximize this SIM card's expiration date of 90 days.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

r0ck0 posted:

I just bought this to reload my T-mobile dork plan, am I gonna have a hard or impossible time loading this to my account?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-T-Mobile-USA-Prepaid-Refill-Card-100-75-50-25-/201384000057

Not really. Usually they would load the amount into your account and you'll be set.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Use easy tether and a cable the carrier can't tell it's tethering. There's a lite version you can use to test and the full version only costs $10 I think.

You can try Easy Tethers wireless or Bluetooth connection but the only one I've heard always works is using a USB cable plus installing the app on your PC/Mac.

Just carry a Micro USB cable with all of your computers and problem solved.

If you don't have the app installed Easy tether will walk you through the install on your computer by having you download to the Android then copy over to the computer. They also have an app you can install to tether another tablet/phone using easy tether if you want. Easy tether tablet I think it's called.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 28, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Well I guess I'm sticking with my 2014 Moto X forever. Does anybody have a Moto X Pure (2015) on Cricket that is still able to tether?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well I guess I'm sticking with my 2014 Moto X forever. Does anybody have a Moto X Pure (2015) on Cricket that is still able to tether?

High five fellow 2014 Moto X user. Hope we don't get boned by marshmallow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

High five fellow 2014 Moto X user. Hope we don't get boned by marshmallow.

I'm on a 2013 Moto X so gently caress both of you :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have one on Cricket and it tells me to contact AT&T to set it up in my account.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Still works on my N5 with marshmallow

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just got a text from cricket saying I can now also use data in Canada/Mexico in addition to choice/text.

Went to Quebec last month and getting on the Rogers network was pretty easy and text/calling worked well.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 28, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

I got it loaded onto my account using tmobile's web chat support. Easy and good value. It will expire in 90 days if I don't add another $10 before it expires.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I seem to be having an issue with texts/mms on cricket going back a few days. Anyone else? I'm in Boston.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Massasoit posted:

I seem to be having an issue with texts/mms on cricket going back a few days. Anyone else? I'm in Boston.

Yeah I'm fooling with APN settings, but may be a network issue.

I can text/data, but no MMS specifically. If I find a setting that's better I'll post. On the other hand, literally every combination I can find on the reputable sites (Tomshardware) still connects and transmits data/text without issue, so the network seems fairly robust so far as that bit goes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm miraculously having no issues right now (also on Cricket) but go through periods of terrible MMS send/receive reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Got my 2 Cricket Nano sims yesterday, it took about 5 seconds for my cricket service to switch from the old sim to the new one. Put in the port request to port my wife's Straight Talk number, still waiting. Thankfully we've got new phones along with the new sims so she can just carry both phones until it works. Was really hoping it would be fast, because as it turns out today is her last day of ST service but I have a feeling I'm going to be paying for another month of it.