Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes, breathe, relax, try to focus on slowing down & making decisive movements instead of jerking through your techniques in a frenzy. I'm speaking as a 1 year white belt who spent the last 12 months getting smashed but I rarely gassed & never vomited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The best you can do is some hiit and be ruthless about the intervals. Mentally prepares you to be tired as hell but keep moving.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

The best you can do is some hiit and be ruthless about the intervals. Mentally prepares you to be tired as hell but keep moving.

That's what I,d suggest too. Stuff like sandbag training and kettlebell would be great, but if youre realistic you won't make a huge change in a few week. Just go and enjoy the pain!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xguard86 posted:

be ruthless about the intervals.

What's this exactly? Do you mean to strictly adhere to like, 30 second intervals between drills / rolls?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
no he means interval training. extremely high tempo exercise in short bursts with even shorter rests. anaerobic training. it also teaches you about the concept of exhaustion.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's this exactly? Do you mean to strictly adhere to like, 30 second intervals between drills / rolls?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh ok, yeah, I'm familiar with HIIT.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any of you more experienced guys use any of the defense soap products? The MRSA mention in the UFC thread got me thinkign about it. At first I was like "$6 for a bar of soap? Fuuuck that." But this week I ended up having to pay $45 for some cloxacillin and hyrocortisone cream for the empatago I picked up (yes, I shower after rolling - it looks like it got into my razor burn and a small grease burn on my arm).

Does that poo poo actually work better than regular soap or cheaper alternatives?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
After I got ringworm two years ago, I used anti-septic soap to wash after grappling. chlorhexidine gluconate is the ingredient used, I've used brand names like Hibiclens and cvs/rite-aid brand, brand name or generic as long as it's chlorhexidine gluconate, it's all good. That's what I usually do and I waste about $10 per small bottle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

Any of you more experienced guys use any of the defense soap products? The MRSA mention in the UFC thread got me thinkign about it. At first I was like "$6 for a bar of soap? Fuuuck that." But this week I ended up having to pay $45 for some cloxacillin and hyrocortisone cream for the empatago I picked up (yes, I shower after rolling - it looks like it got into my razor burn and a small grease burn on my arm).

Does that poo poo actually work better than regular soap or cheaper alternatives?

Not sure about the effectiveness of different soaps, but I will say that about five years ago I started wearing long spats, a long sleeved rashguard, and shoes or wrestling socks every time I train and haven't had a skin infection since.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I wear spats and long sleeved rashies, and also use Defense soap. One or the other is working.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I'm going to do the following:

1. Make sure I always have long-sleeved rash guard for no gi, and at least short-sleeved under a gi.
2. Always spats or gi pants.
3. Get downright obsessive about post-rolling showers. Gonna buy some tea tree soap tonight, as that appears to be the "Active" ingredient in defense soap, and I'll look for the chlorohexadine gluconate.
4. Get something topical to clean any serious gi burn, scratches or other sores that I might have, as that's where the cooties got in this time (also like the last time that I had impatego, which was 15 years ago and not grappling related.)

This means that I need to buy one or two more long-sleeved rash guards and probably one more pair of spats.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Missing a shower is the #1 reason I developed some mild ringworm some time ago, it happened very infrequently as the times I decided to shower at home instead of the gym were rare but it happened twice. I was also doing gi and nogi with spats and long sleeved rashguards that got cleaned after every class.

Ive got a lot of defense soap products but can't vouch for them as one time I used them for something that I thought was something I got at the gym but instead turned out to be eczema which isn't something defense soap can't claim it can cure.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

You can also get some KS Skin Creme as a prophylactic

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yep. Don't take a round off or allow any breaks. Even if you're doing burpees like an 80 year old, getting in the habit of continuing in the face of discomfort is the goal.

also keeping good form. Using burpees as an example, if I'm like near death tired I might get 3 in 30 seconds but I try hard to keep them right.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Run as fast as you can for 90 seconds, then get a fat friend to lay down on top of you for 5 minutes while you struggle to breathe

alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdaijFIDvU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

I've been doing BJJ for about 9 months now and am afraid I'm hitting a plateau. My escape game is pretty good since I wrestled in high school, but I'm having trouble working offense from my closed guard. Specifically, my feet are on the small side and I have trouble keeping my guard closed or keeping my hooks in against any kind of pressure.

Is this something that happens to everyone that I just need to work through, or should I be trying to tailor my game around this? I'm a lot more comfortable in half guard right now since I can get a much tighter grip around just one leg.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Try the turtle guard, you can use all those granby rolls you practiced.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

eshock posted:

I've been doing BJJ for about 9 months now and am afraid I'm hitting a plateau. My escape game is pretty good since I wrestled in high school, but I'm having trouble working offense from my closed guard. Specifically, my feet are on the small side and I have trouble keeping my guard closed or keeping my hooks in against any kind of pressure.

Is this something that happens to everyone that I just need to work through, or should I be trying to tailor my game around this? I'm a lot more comfortable in half guard right now since I can get a much tighter grip around just one leg.

Closed guard sucks, just work on whatever you like

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a bunch of back and forth gripfighting and reactionary stuff to learn, it's not just a "hold on for dear life" kind of deal. I don't do closed guard much but I quite like controlling one of their shoulders by gable gripping your hands above it and pulling it down into you, then shrimping out your hips and attacking from there. Off the top of my head there's an omoplata, a triangle, three or four armbars and a backtake from there. Probably more stuff than that. Use your far (under) foot to control their hip, and use your near (over) leg to clamp down over their back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Something I've been wanting to try out from there is to use the spider guard from closed. Keep forgetting to attempt it when rolling. Seems like it'd be a fun thing to do. From spider obviously there are many ways to go.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Closed guard has hidden depths for sure. I like Neil Melanson's approach to closed guard, you can find his 'Grappling System', 'K Control' and 'Irish Collar' vids online pretty easily

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

eshock posted:

Is this something that happens to everyone

Yes, but its probably also a good idea to just go feet-on-hips as soon as you feel your closed guard getting broken. That will also let you work your open guard more, which will be more applicable as you progress anyway (barring a seismic shift in the current metagame).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

eshock posted:

As someone with short legs who has struggled with closed guard, I empathize with you. But your issue is a multifaceted problem and you should not give up entirely on closed guard yet. Here are some simple take aways to work on.

• Closing the guard itself is a skill. Where you hold you legs and where and how you lock is important. This is hard to communicate so ask your instructor to correct you on locking your guard around big guys. Small adjustments are important here. You will be surprised at the size of the guys you can close a guard around.
  • Why are guys able to put pressure on you? You should be getting dominating grips and breaking down his posture with your grips and legs. He should also feel himself to be off balance.
  • Don't stay square. You'll need to move your hips out to begin threatening your opponent with attacks so adjust your hips out. There will be moment that you open to hip out then relock. This is fine.
  • Once your opponent has opened your guard or you can no longer hold it, don't just hold on tenaciously to closed guard. Transition to open/half etc. Ideally you'll transition before your opponent can dominate your legs.
  • You can work on a half guard game like I did but make sure you have the fundamentals of the closed guard down and can execute them before you shift your focus.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have any cool things from bottom North-South they can show me a video of? So far I have a "suicide" clock choke from guard which takes me to North-South, Fish Tail recompose guard, and the back roll escape. I like dragging people to North South and escaping or recomposing from there if I get my guard passed and was wondering about any other cool options.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

Anyone have any cool things from bottom North-South they can show me a video of? So far I have a "suicide" clock choke from guard which takes me to North-South, Fish Tail recompose guard, and the back roll escape. I like dragging people to North South and escaping or recomposing from there if I get my guard passed and was wondering about any other cool options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gE7Q4aPfyc

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have turn buckles to practice that from. <:mad:>

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is Frank Caracci from UFC 18 really a BJJ black belt under machado?
http://www.louisianamaa.com/index.cfm?page=4

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Is Frank Caracci from UFC 18 really a BJJ black belt under machado?
http://www.louisianamaa.com/index.cfm?page=4

A surprising number of the guys from early UFCs started BJJ and changing up their training as a result of those fights. Keith Hackney runs an MMA school in Chicago now, Fred Ettish runs a MFS affiliate school (and even had another pro fight that he won a couple years back), etc, etc

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hmm, ya I guess hes had 15 years to train bjj. Id love a compilation book from all the guys fighting between ufc 1 and 20 and all the crazy things that went on backstage that just wouldnt fly nowadays (i.e. everything).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Hmm, ya I guess hes had 15 years to train bjj. Id love a compilation book from all the guys fighting between ufc 1 and 20 and all the crazy things that went on backstage that just wouldnt fly nowadays (i.e. everything).

I haven't read it but Art Davies apparently wrote this -

http://www.amazon.com/Is-This-Legal-Inside-Created/dp/0991275640

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Nice, I might trip report that.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

CommonShore posted:

I've seen two studies on this (tea tree oil) as far as the efficacy of treating/preventing mrsa and the one study said there was no difference between it and a placebo and the other found a minor but not statistically significant difference vs a placebo. Dr bronner's is slightly cheaper and as far as I can tell by smell it contains way more tea tree oil per bar.

As far as using a chlorohexidine soap, I think it might be best to reserve that for after meets/tournaments as you're killing off ALL the bacteria on your skin. Good and bad.

Edit: Maybe I'm full of poo poo about tea tree oil not being effective http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195670104000167

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 18, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
. Wrong thread

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WayneCampbell posted:

I've seen two studies on this (tea tree oil) as far as the efficacy of treating/preventing mrsa and the one study said there was no difference between it and a placebo and the other found a minor but not statistically significant difference vs a placebo. Dr bronner's is slightly cheaper and as far as I can tell by smell it contains way more tea tree oil per bar.

As far as using a chlorohexidine soap, I think it might be best to reserve that for after meets/tournaments as you're killing off ALL the bacteria on your skin. Good and bad.

Edit: Maybe I'm full of poo poo about tea tree oil not being effective http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195670104000167

Yeah the wikipedia page gave a precis on how tea trea oil sometimes looks about as good as a placebo. I got this stuff:

http://puresoapworks.com/tea_tree.htm

I'm not viewing it as a solution on its own, but rather one precaution in concert with a series of other ones. The cholorhexadine for once ina while sounds like a good idea. I couldn't find any last time I went out, but I'll try again.

Meanwhile, I googled "cholorohexadine soap" and the first page of results included an image of someone fisting a chicken:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
lol thanks

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Chlorhexidine is used to disinfect hospitals, as a presurgery scrub, mouthwash, as a flush for wounds and just about anything else you would want an antibacterial. I think it also has some antifungal properties. It's wonderful stuff.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

eshock posted:

Plateaus happen to everyone, and will happen throughout your life in BJJ. I'm a brown belt and next month will mark 8 years of training, I'm in the middle of a plateau/slump at the moment.

What you'll find is that you'll develop a move or series of moves that kills everyone you roll with (at least those people up to your own level), and you'll get into a pattern of going to that well. But you'll also find that you have a group of 5 or 6 people that you really like rolling with and you roll them on a regular basis. Well eventually they see your killer move enough times that they figure out the counter. Now your killer move stops working (this is generally where you feel like you've plateaued). So you start developing a different set of moves, but of course when you're just starting to roll them out they're not gonna work perfectly. So it feels like you're backsliding or getting worse. But you train through it and eventually you break through.

At least this is how my experience in BJJ has been.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I got a blue belt in the middle of a "slump" and asked my coach "why now"? He answered basically what you said above, that while I felt like I was doing worse or on a plateau in reality he saw taking a big jump forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Thanks for the replies, everyone.