Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'd vote for meinberg over Hal, but I'd much prefer foo or 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ecco what point are you trying to prove with this experimental game?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

I can never remember how plurality works. Do I get killed since I got to two votes more recently or is Meinberg since he got there first?

I think it's most recent.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
gently caress, alright. These days proved busier than expected. I am here, and looking at things.

How long until deadline?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:c: The Current Day 2 Votecount :c:

Hal Incandenza (2): AnonymousNarcotics, SirSamVimes
Meinberg (2): 100YrsofAttitude, -100YrsofAttitude, 100YrsofAttitude, Captain Foo
SirSamVimes (1): Hal Incandenza
Captain Foo (1): Tremendous Taste

Not Voting (1): Meinberg

:h: With 7 players alive, it takes 4 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is October 17th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 hours, 20 minutes.

===========
Southern trees bear a strange fruit, / Blood on the leaves and blood at the root, / Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze, / Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.
Pastoral scene of the gallant south / the bulging eyes and the twisted mouth / scent of magnolia / sweet and fresh then the sudden smell of burning flesh
Here is a fruit / for the crows to pluck / for the rain to gather / for the wind to suck / for the sun to rot / for the tree to drop / Here is a strange / and bitter crop

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ecco, weekend deadlines are bullshit and you know it!

Also, my understanding of plurality is that the first person to reach that number of votes is the one voted out, so in this case, I'm the person being voted out at deadline.

I feel pretty good about Hal though, so I'm not going to vote him. In fact, I'm not going to vote for anyone until I finish this re-read that I am actually doing right now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes is playing a quiet under-the-radar scum game. He's doing this by very careful with his vote and showing suspicion or trust in the flimsiest of terms so that nothing can be pinned on him.

Early on we get this read of Birdstrike's vig comment:

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd probably vig Birdstrike with the information so far. He throws a jokey post at Foo, then ducks under until he pops up again to say he'd vig a scum which gives no information about his opinions or reads and serves only to show off how ~totally townie~ he is.

Followed by an analysis of a post of mine:

SirSamVimes posted:

Sorry for being silent while stuff was happening, I was busy being asleep and then being busy running to work.

Bird, I don't know how to read that post. It feels more like anxious town to me, but of course that raises the question of why they're anxious. I do agree that slipping in that "we" to make sure that they are seen as associating themselves with town is bad, but I wouldn't say that's worth putting a vote down.

Take the tone of the former comment it seems pretty assured but no vote comes from it and while SSV keeps birdstrike in his sights his actual first vote ends up on Hal. The 2nd post neither condemns or condones the post. It's ultimate a useless post that just shows how little he wants to take a defined stance.

SirSamVimes posted:

Who am I not squinting at at all?

...I think Meinberg is the only one who doesn't fit into any of the criteria I mentioned, but most of the squinting isn't serious suspicion. The only people I'm seriously suspicious of are Birdstrike, ljtri and Hal. If I had to choose one of them, I think I'd go with Hal because of the sheer void of opinions that he has to accompany his vote and the fact that he doesn't just refuse to give an opinion from the question, he basically calls it useless.

##vote Hal

Note here how the vig question is actually enough to justify a vote on Hal where less words are spent in condemning Hal than were spent on Birdstrike. Hal's a good player to have on your side and getting him out early would benefit scum faster. SSV later re-affirms the vote as a lurker vote, which is ridiculous that early in the game.

SirSamVimes posted:

Lunchtime at the mountain. Phone posting so I can't really do quotes.

I really dislike how Birdstrike bounces between opinions. He thinks my vote on Hal is omgus, then he's okay with it, then he thinks its tunneling. First he dislikes Taste's opinion on Foo, then he likes it. He's a crappy weathervane, just turning wherever he thinks the wind is blowing.

##vote bird

His vote on Birdstrike, which I think put him at -1, reiterates concerns he had earlier but he never clarifies why the reasons are better for birdstrike than they are for Hal. The weathervane metaphor is apt for SSV as well since he went where the wind was blowing too, which led him to the vote on Birdstrike. This an exceptionally opportunistic vote because it put birdstrike safely within the grasp of a plurality execution. While having 3 votes on him would've probably resulted in birdstrike's death it'd of been of a less sure thing.

Interestingly enough Foo and I, again I'm not entirely sure, were the 2nd choice at that point with Foo having 2 votes until I moved off and me also having 2 votes, though I could be wrong.

Lastly SSV's stream of consciousness bit allows him to do the same non-committal posting until he picks up a case he likes, Anon's, and goes with it. He doesn't actual make reference or even use Anon's case to reinforce his previous case/feelings on Hal, I guess assuming we'd feel in the blanks. But the lack of attention to this detail just drives the point home that SSV has never felt any real conviction for any of his votes or cases.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The counterpoint to this is that SSV has been busy and can't keep up with the thread. However, it is a short thread and quick re-reads of the material should be simple enough to do. With so many players posting so little their spots in your own personal lumpen list shouldn't vary wildly as the game goes on.

So in short:

##unvote

##vote SirSamVimes

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Meinberg posted:

gently caress, alright. These days proved busier than expected. I am here, and looking at things.

How long until deadline?

You can do this Meinberg. I believe in you.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

This might sound a little silly, and I'm prepared for people to think it is so, but Foo started putting some pressured on Bird with this post:

Captain Foo posted:

these are only a couple of posts apart

cool contradiction dude

but seems unwilling to commit to a vote until approximately twelve hours have passed. Part of me thinks that he was just delaying to prevent himself from being the third voter on town, which is a typical scum sign in my experience. This, coupled with the sheer quantity of his posts making him a harder read, makes me feel very opposed to him at this moment.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

So you're pushing the false idea that we're in MYLO and weirdly resigned despite very little pressure on you. "if I'm still in the game" and eagerness to fullclaim? You never seemed to be under a lot of suspicion.

This post is bad an wrong, though, it's almost like Vimes is looking for posts that are suspicious, without caring about the context of them, while trying to put more shade on me, which isn't especially difficult.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Other thoughts: Anon seems cool, but a bit under the radar. Taste's post are low in quantity, and there's not a huge amount of meat to chew on in any of them. I feel alright about 100years and Hal at this particular moment.

In short, I have town reads on 100years and Hal, null reads on Anon and Taste, and scum reads on Foo and Vimes.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

##vote SirSamVimes

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:d: If there was a tie I'd probably do a kind of Sudden Death situation, where people have to vote for one of the tied candidates, and whoever votes/unvotes first decides.

anyway! 1.5 hours! thank you for humoring a weekend deadline.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

It's increasingly looking like no one else is going to post until deadline. Only about a half hour left now.

I'm going to make some food after the day ends. It should be nice.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am making food as well so assume the deadline is floating until I am done with dinner.

(I doubt it will make a difference but there you go.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am finally at a real computer with a stable internet connection hello.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Hi!!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Greetings

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Reasons I like a Hal lynch:

• Drops down a vote as a response to a casual lurker poke, is content to leave vote there for a long time
  • Driveby hammer with the excuse of "we don't need to listen to his lies" after all day having been very buddying up with him.
  • Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm going to ##vote SSV his "stream of consciousness" posting was very sparse and in the end he added nothing to the conversation, threw some easy shade towards me and Meinberg and didn't even vote anyone.

Takes advantage of the fact that I lost internet to accuse me of not even bothering voting. While of course he doesn't know what's going on with my connection, I specifically mentioned I didn't know if I'd be around for deadline so it should be kind of obvious that I was intending to vote.

Also feeling Meinberg is pretty scummy. Meinberg/Hal could be scumteam. Would vote Meinberg also.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Reasons I like a Hal lynch:

• Drops down a vote as a response to a casual lurker poke, is content to leave vote there for a long time
  • Driveby hammer with the excuse of "we don't need to listen to his lies" after all day having been very buddying up with him.

• Takes advantage of the fact that I lost internet to accuse me of not even bothering voting. While of course he doesn't know what's going on with my connection, I specifically mentioned I didn't know if I'd be around for deadline so it should be kind of obvious that I was intending to vote.

Also feeling Meinberg is pretty scummy. Meinberg/Hal could be scumteam. Would vote Meinberg also.

Yeah dude it was a joke. I also said I dedicated my game to birdstrike in the very next post. I can't believe you would take any of that seriously and base a case around it.

And how was I supposed to know you lost internet? Obvious you were intending to vote who? You made two surface level cases towards me and meinberg and then left. Usually you would include your vote with one of those cases if you actually believed in them. I have no idea what your internet situation was, what you did looked like someone throwing some suspicion out there and waiting to see what stuck so you could follow with your vote. Trying to paint that as some scummy act by me is very forced.

I am quite satisfied with my vote on you now.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Vimes what do you think about Foo other than feeling that his one post was meaningless?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Plurality means I just got lynched, doesn't it? I don't think I can say anything about my thoughts. :v:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Plurality means I just got lynched, doesn't it? I don't think I can say anything about my thoughts. :v:

YES where were you 6 minutes ago?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Since the deadline is hanging, you're allowed to talk until Ecco says you're dead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Meinberg posted:

Since the deadline is hanging, you're allowed to talk until Ecco says you're dead.

Eh, I think I'll just not talk about game related stuff to keep to the spirit of the game.

Hal Incandenza posted:

YES where were you 6 minutes ago?

Posting the flip (or lack thereof) for my WoW game. :(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:s: SirSamVimes, Leggsi, Chicken Spy (scum-aligned roleblocker), was executed day 2 :s:

submit actions!

night is open!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Sweet

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hot drat! I love being right.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That was all for you Birdstrike

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I fell asleep but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
poo poo sorry guys I fell asleep as soon as I got home. I guess I was wrong about a Hal/100 scum team. Will have to reread.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Jeez. Basically SSV just tunneled Hal the whole game so far. So either Hal is town, or this is a very strong bus. He barely even gave opinions on anyone else.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I think Hal is probably town now. I'm not taking back the reasons I thought he was scummy before, but the interactions between SSV and Hal don't seem like bussing

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:s: Captain Foo, Bimus Shumi, Chicken Spymaster (scum-aligned doctor), was killed night 2. :s:

With no more mafia left alive, the Pigs have avenged their captain's death! Within a week they have reconnected with The Voice, and within a month the war was over. Peace at last, hooray!

GAME OVER TOWN WINS

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Galaxy Pork 2525: Bacon Beauties from Beyond Betelgeuse

A Game for 9 players

2 mafia: (NO NIGHTKILL)
- 1 Doctor
- 1 Roleblocker

7 town:
- 1 Cop
- 2 Vigilantes (even/odd switch)
- 4 vanilla

======

Player List:

1) Captain Foo - mafia doctor
2) SirSamVimes - mafia roleblocker
3) Meinberg - cop
4) AnonymousNarcotics - odd vig
5) Tremendous Taste - even vig
6) Hal Incandenza - vanilla
7) ljtrigirl - vanilla
8) Birdstrike - vanilla
9) 100Yrs - vanilla

======

Day 1:
Town executes Birdstrike

Night 1:
Foo protects 100Yrs
SSV blocks Meinberg
Meinberg cops Foo (FAIL)
Narco kills LJ

Day 2:
Town executes SSV

Night 2:
Foo protects Hal, dies. so silly.
Meinberg cops Hal
Taste kills Foo

town wins!

======

Role PMs:

Captain Foo - Bimus Shumi - Chicken Spymaster (scum-aligned doctor)
For the glory of Cuckulon! You are a spy for the mighty Chicken Empire, and you have snuck aboard the Carmen to destroy it from the inside out. You win when you have unassailable control over the vote or nothing can stop the same. Your buddy is SirSamVimes.
During the night you may target a player in the game and create a laser forcefield around them, protecting them from harm during the night. Note that you cannot perform the nightkill.
You are a doctor and you are scum-aligned.

SirSamVimes - Leggsi - Chicken Spy (scum-aligned roleblocker)
For the glory of Cuckulon! You are a spy for the mighty Chicken Empire, and you have snuck aboard the Carmen to destroy it from the inside out. You win when you have unassailable control over the vote or nothing can stop the same. Your buddy is Captain Foo.
During the night you may seal the blast doors over someone's room, trapping them in it. They will not be able to leave and perform an action during the night. Note that you cannot perform the nightkill.
You are a roleblocker and you are scum-aligned.

Meinberg - Kelli Kooker - First Mate (town-aligned cop)
May the Voice reign supreme and may she know all! You are a pig-woman who is also a dancer, and who is also a member of the crew of the space ship Carmen. Your ship has been invaded by secret chicken spies, and as such you win if all scum-aligned players are eliminated.
During the night you may target a player in the game and perform a deep tissue scan on them, determining if they are a loyal PIG (town), or a villanous CHICKEN (scum).
You are a cop and you are town-aligned

AnonymousNarcotics - Jes Rivens - Security Officer (town-aligned vigilante)
May the Voice reign supreme and may she know all! You are a pig-woman who is also a dancer, and who is also a member of the crew of the space ship Carmen. Your ship has been invaded by secret chicken spies, and as such you win if all scum-aligned players are eliminated.
You are the ship's security officer, and are equipped with a laser pistol. However, it cannot be used too often or else the pistol explodes. As such, you may perform a nightkill but only every other night.
You are a vigilante and you are town-aligned

Tremendous Taste - Jenne Jackson - Security Officer (town-aligned vigilante)
You are the ship's sole security officer, and are responsible for keeping people safe... through violence. You may target a player in the game and perform a kill on them. Note though that your pistol is faulty - you only have a 50% chance of successfully performing a kill.
You are a vigilante and you are town-aligned.

Hal Incandenza - Nataliee Tripani - Crewpig (town-aligned vanilla)
ljtrigirl - Mishelle Fig - Member of the Crew (town-aligned vanilla)
Birdstrike - Leenda Grand - Crewmember (town-aligned vanilla)
100YrsofAttitude - Kaytey Liesel - Astropig (town-aligned vanilla)
You have no exceptional powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Thank you all for playing this dumb game with me. :toot:

One of the nightkiller(s) probably should have been an SK. A third mafioso (maybe a godfather) might have been a good choice too.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

You so crazy, Ecco.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well that was fun. Thanks for whipping that up on such short notice. Would play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Definitely a unique setup here

• Locked thread